Coursework & Fieldwork Failing OT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulOTGirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on here failed out of OT school? If so, I was wondering if you would share what kind of jobs you were able to apply for and if you attempted to apply for any other OT programs. I am guessing graduate level OT credits do not transfer to many other programs, so I was wondering if anyone on here has been successful in doing this. Also, if you have any other thoughts about possible options for failing OT students, it would be great if you would be willing to share.

Members don't see this ad.

i have seen some previous posts on here from people who have failed out. specifically check the "ask an admissions director" forum. there are some others but it might take some searching. perhaps you could private message them to find out what they ended up doing.

I did. It was my first semester so I didnt really loose too much other than some of my dignity, lots of money and time. I am actually applying to other programs as we speak and working as a case manager for people with disabilities in the meantime. I feel very sorry for people who failed out further into their program. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also I heard that west coast university may transfer credits

I remember reading a post from someone who said that at her school making below a B in one course would make you fail out, regardless of your cumulative GPA in other courses. Since I get a lot of academic anxiety, that would make me a lot more nervous about any given test. I've been scaring myself recently by saying that if I do badly on any one test, that would bring my grade down below an A, and since I'm taking fewer classes that would look like a downward trend to OT grad schools.

There are also posts on the indeed forum but be warned about negative posters if you haven't been there already. I remember someone said she successfully reversed to an undergrad at the same school in a different major and taking more classes to rebuild her academic reputation while waiting to apply to OT programs again (maybe she was in a BS/MOT program). Try to keep cool as possible and think your strategy through.

Thanks for the replies. I am guessing that the jobs one could expect to qualify for after failing OT school would be pretty limited/low pay. Some of the ones I came across were OT aides, caregivers, and nursing aides. None of these options looked very promising for students who need to earn enough to pay back costly OT school loans.

I would think that most OTA schools would take someone who had failed out of OT school. A lot of the information would be transferable and I'm assuming that the overall depth of coursework wouldn't be as hard. I'm applying to one OTA school this year as well as all of the OT grad schools.

That's a good idea. I am guessing OTA school would be much easier after having had some OT school coursework. I have wondered if going to OTA school then applying for admission at an OTA to OT grad program would be a possible option for someone who fails out of OT school. The biggest problem with my applying to OTA school would be the length of time involved and the fact that financial aid would not be available as it is in a graduate level program. Now that I've started grad school, I have a number of loans to pay back as soon as I can.

The OTA programs I've glanced at are generally only 18 months, including fieldwork. You might get out around the same time you would have with the OT degree.