Failure Policies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's not pessimistic - it's pragmatic. And to make a statement such as "Personally I don't give a hoot about anything but helping patients. As long as I succeed in doing that I could care less what anyone thinks or pays me" comes off as naive. We provide a service that has value and continue to be poorly reimbursed for that service. Attitudes like the previous quote don'tt help us change that. It also doesn't ackowledge the financial hardships some face when pursuing this profession.

My point was that the thread had gotten completely off topic. Ironically, the pessimism statement was also largely unrelated to the post I was quoting, but was meant to be in reference to an earlier post.

Members don't see this ad.

Thought experiment: You are in the doctor's office with a non-descript abdominal pain. Do you want the person determining the seriousness of your illness/pain to be someone who had to be remediated more than once to freeking PASS medical school?????

If we want to be direct access providers of health care the standards need to be rigorous. Weed out those who can't handle it. I may sound harsh but its how I feel. Some people simply aren't made to be problem solvers and be able to identify the patterns that are within our scope and keep our patients safe. Those people should do something else.

Rant over.

Reactions: 3 users
Thought experiment: You are in the doctor's office with a non-descript abdominal pain. Do you want the person determining the seriousness of your illness/pain to be someone who had to be remediated more than once to freeking PASS medical school?????

If we want to be direct access providers of health care the standards need to be rigorous. Weed out those who can't handle it. I may sound harsh but its how I feel. Some people simply aren't made to be problem solvers and be able to identify the patterns that are within our scope and keep our patients safe. Those people should do something else.

Rant over.

I'm glad somebody said it.

I think if there is a personal situation (death of a spouse, major health crisis, etc) that prevented an otherwise capable student from getting through their studies they should obviously be allowed to take a leave of absence and then return to complete the program. But if the issue is strictly academic in nature and you are struggling to barely pass PT school, maybe you should think about what you're doing.

The way that students are selected for PT school is not a perfect system and, unfortunately, once in a while a student will be admitted that just isn't cut out for it.

Now if the faculty really are being downright antagonistic towards students as the OP has hinted at, that is a different story. But I tend to think those instances are few and far between, and when you do hear and see them get talked about you have to keep in mind that nobody is ever giving you the full story.

And let's keep in mind the OP is talking about a school with an 85% graduation rate, and that's what the real concern is. That either means that this school is terrible at selecting good students, or their faculty and curriculum really do have some serious problems, or some combination of both.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I%2Bjust%2Bcame%2Bby%2Bto%2Bsee.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Everything is the president's fault. Just show up to the voting booth once every four years and everything will be solved. :rolleyes:

It's not pessimistic - it's pragmatic. And to make a statement such as "Personally I don't give a hoot about anything but helping patients. As long as I succeed in doing that I could care less what anyone thinks or pays me" comes off as naive. We provide a service that has value and continue to be poorly reimbursed for that service. Attitudes like the previous quote don'tt help us change that. It also doesn't ackowledge the financial hardships some face when pursuing this profession.
I didn't mean to come off as naive. I guess I shouldn't have made the assumption that people reading my post would understand that, obviously, PT's should certainly be paid more and the cost of education should be far less. I've posted along those lines too many times already. The most important thing is the patient and I want to be a great PT first. If I find a way somewhere along the line to help our cause I will certainly do so.

Reactions: 1 user
do they want people to commit suicide or something? Imagine being over halfway done with a PT program and being dismissed....

This is what happened to me. I completed 2 years of Touro College- Manhattan's DPT program and was dismissed for getting a 78.8 in Orthopedics- passing is an 80. It was my first grade below the 80 cutoff and I was immediately dismissed. Needless to say, I was blindsided and cannot fathom going back to school ever again when program's can be so cruel and capricious with their dismissal decisions.

My class lost about 8 or so people out of 32.

This is what happened to me. I completed 2 years of Touro College- Manhattan's DPT program and was dismissed for getting a 78.8 in Orthopedics- passing is an 80. It was my first grade below the 80 cutoff and I was immediately dismissed. Needless to say, I was blindsided and cannot fathom going back to school ever again when program's can be so cruel and capricious with their dismissal decisions.

My class lost about 8 or so people out of 32.

Make sure you all look at the school's graduation rate before committing to a program! Should be near 100%.

How are you paying off the debt from the 2 years? :( Omg I looked at the program statistics. The Manhattan campus has never had more than a 90% graduation rate. 81% of the class graduated in 2010.. that's ridiculous. And for the people that do graduate, Manhattan has only had a 100% licensure rate ONCE. That school seems like a scam. Imagine going through the 3 years and never getting licensed... tbh this school needs to be investigated.

Make sure you all look at the school's graduation rate before committing to a program! Should be near 100%.

How are you paying off the debt from the 2 years? :( Omg I looked at the program statistics. The Manhattan campus has never had more than a 90% graduation rate. 81% of the class graduated in 2010.. that's ridiculous. And for the people that do graduate, Manhattan has only had a 100% licensure rate ONCE. That school seems like a scam. Imagine going through the 3 years and never getting licensed... tbh this school needs to be investigated.

Alert everyone you hear going through application cycles. That is absurd. Reevaluation of that program probably won't be good.

Touro DPT- Manhattan certainly does need to get investigated by the APTA once again. The quality of education they are providing is NOT up to standards and they should probably lose a good chunk of whatever funding the are receiving.

Attending the school has been the biggest mistake of my professional and academic career. I'm not so much concerned with the debt but rather the fact that I've wasted my time and energy at such an unsupportive, unprofessional program. If you are considering attending Touro College- Manhattan please reconsider. Yes, DPT school is what you make of it and it will be challenging no matter where you attend. But in my two years in the DPT program I was amazed at the lack of professionalism and resources to help you succeed. We lost 8 students by the fourth semester (2 years).

I love the field and I tried becoming a DPT to help people but attending Touro Manhattan's DPT program has killed my aspirations of pursuing the profession for the time being.

Alert everyone you hear going through application cycles. That is absurd. Reevaluation of that program probably won't be good.

I've kept in contact with several of my classmates and not one of them feels ready for the Boards. You should be able to ace them no problem coming right out of the 3 rigorous years of DPT education. Truly a disorganized mess of a program.