Fainting during surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilesoup

Tufts V15
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was thinking about internships and residencies further along the road, and I started worrying about fainting. I shadowed a vet for a few hours last year and fainted during a neuter. The weirdest thing about it was that I started feeling really hot and light-headed, forced myself to look, told myself I've seen countless surgeries on TV (totally, totally not the same, I know, but I expected better from myself ><), and just dropped to the floor a few seconds later. The vet was really nice about it and the tech got me a glass of water when I came to. So my question is.. does this get better with time/practice, or should I be worried...? I'm still relatively new in the pre-vet scene and tend to freak out quite easily, I'm afraid! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

There was a thread about this, but I don't really want to search for it .....

this has happened to almost everyone. It did to me (although I just had to step out, I didn't actually fall to the ground). The heat of the lights, not eating, it being hot ... it all just gets to you. This wasn't even my first surgery I had watched (and previous ones were much more ... "messy".)

DON'T make yourself look in the future. Just ask to leave the room. Most people have been there, so usually everyone is really nice about it.

Don't worry about it, just make sure you listen to those dizzy/hot cues in the future! :)

DON'T make yourself look in the future. Just ask to leave the room. Most people have been there, so usually everyone is really nice about it.

Yeah, I think that was the key..! When I forced myself to watch, black dots started swimming around my field of vision, and.. ugh. Thanks a lot! That was the first time I've ever felt light-headed and fainted, so I was a little worried :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little worried about it myself (and I start vet school in a few weeks!) but I've found that if I eat and drink during the day then I'm fine. It's just the days that I see something new and interesting and I've skipped a meal or not drank enough. Just make sure you eat and drink -- that should help! And believe, me it is normal and happens to most everyone at some point.

Hey, I even almost passed out at my interview at UPenn when we were given a tour of the facilities and saw a calf being sawed up (my first time seeing that). Boy, wouldn't I have been embarassed ... I just barely made it out in time! I was about to drop to the floor when they said we could leave. :) Heavy feet, room was going black, and I was extremely faint. I had skipped breakfast!!!!

I, too, almost fainted while watching a surgery and, like Wi Girl, it wasn't my first surgery I watched. In my case I thought "wouldn't it be embarrassing if I fainted or something like that?" and then almost immediately I felt like I was going to. After a few minutes of trying to tough through it, I told the vet I was going to sit down for a moment, and plopped down on the floor. Of course this random act of sitting on the floor made him look at me, at which point he exclaimed: "Oh my gosh! Look at how white she is!!!! Someone get her a chair!!!!!!!!!" Yeah, I was a little embarrassed. :) And I worried that it might become a habit, and what if I couldn't do surgery at all as a vet?

Since then, though, I try to make it a point of bringing a stool into the surgery room whenever I'm going to be watching, since I tend to never feel faint so long as I'm sitting down. It helps, I promise! :)

Serious suggestion... Don't forget to breathe.

Unless it stinks... that was my problem in the necropsy room - the gosh darned smell. Phoo!

EDIT: Speaking of stinkiness... when I first glanced at this thread, I thought it was called "Farting during surgery." Lol.

Last edited:
I have to admit, I got a bit light headed while watching my first few surgeries. They weren't particularly gross, either. Just routine cat spays. However, after my first day, I was a "veteran" and easily handled the more stomach-churning surgeries (one of which was a pregnant mastiff with pyometra). Its really just about desensitizing yourself. By the end of my first week working at a clinic I got to the point where the "gross" stuff was fascinating, rather than nauseating.

Eat before you watch. It makes a big difference...

Unless it stinks... that was my problem in the necropsy room - the gosh darned smell. Phoo!

EDIT: Speaking of stinkiness... when I first glanced at this thread, I thought it was called "Farting during surgery." Lol.

I know a vet who, per staff orders, is NOT to be fed chocolate prior to surgery at ANY time, for this reason. :laugh:

Nowadays, nearly any surgery or lab dissection makes me hungry. :oops: I think it's all the years of where I worked, and how surgery is always done between 8:30am and 12:30pm, and the fact that we always ate lunch afterwards!

I agree with sheep girl-- I ate no breakfast, rode 3 horses outside in 90 degree weather, then held a horse for a biopsy of a granuloma-thing on his ear... Grey horse, vascular ear... lots of blood... me on the floor. The vet actually caught me as I was falling and put me in his truck!!! Thank goodness I made it until he had finished the procedure!! I was so embarrased.

I had just gotten married when this happened, and for MONTHS after this, people thought I was pregnant... "Congratulations!!! I heard you passed out holding so-and-so's horse... when's your baby due??" Geeeeez.

Eat breakfast, and don't try to "tough it out!"

I also would say don't worry about it--I've never fainted during a surgery that I've watched, and in general I love blood and guts, but I'm a bit nervous for the day when I am doing the surgery. The lights can be hot, the room gets stuffy... one time, when I came in for the PM shift, my boss was doing a necropsy on a dog, and the smell of blood was so strong, my mouth tasted like metal for hours after. Just the other day, one of the vets pulled a warble grub thing out of a kitten's wound, and you should have seen his face. And he is 6 years out of school, very good vet. So--my sympathies, it will get better, and most people worry about this at one point or another.

ALWAYS eat something (I try to have a granola bar if nothing else) before surgery. During surgery make sure you are not locking ANY of your joints (bend your knees, shift your weight periodlcally, do not allow yourself to interlock your fingers). Breathe! And don't be ashamed to ask to leave the room if needed.:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I, too, almost fainted while watching a surgery and, like Wi Girl, it wasn't my first surgery I watched. In my case I thought "wouldn't it be embarrassing if I fainted or something like that?" and then almost immediately I felt like I was going to.

This has happened to me once too...I started to think about how I don't want to feel faint then I started to feel faint. It was horrible the more I thought about it, the more symptoms developed and the more I started getting scared I was going to faint. It was a vicious circle.

My solution...the bathroom. This only works if you are observing a procedure. If you don't want to bring attention to yourself, casually excuse yourself to the bathroom for some recovery and breathing time. I guess this wouldn't work if you did this during every surgery though:laugh:

My solution...the bathroom. This only works if you are observing a procedure.

Don't forget that an unconscious surgeon is pretty worthless also (so if you are the surgeon and feel faint, do NOT try to hide it).

I've had two experiences with feeling faint in the surgery room at the vet hospital I worked at. Both were due to the heat/lights and not eating much that day. They were like spays or something silly like that. Scrubbing in to a really gross pyometra - nothing. I've never felt sick to my stomach or anything, just got really light headed. I sat down, head between the knees and ate some animal crackers - better in a few minutes. So it really doesn't have to do with the gross out factor...just be honest if you're feeling bad and get out!

I caught a highschool girl at our hospital once too. The vet and I were working to clean out a dirty wound and she was watching (it really wasn't that bloody really). She had been talking pretty steady and then all of a sudden she stopped, I looked up and she was WHITE and swaying. I jumped over and managed to catch her and get her sitting on a stool before she completely fell over. Crazy.

Hi smilesoup,

I had similar experiences in clinical during nursing school. Our tour of the OR found us wearing the white "bunny suits"...the plastic jumpsuits that are terribly hot and restrict air flow! I didn't faint then but did get sick from being overheated. My instructor took that as I got sick from the OR. Not true.

Then later I got to watch a c-section and got all dressed up in the scrubs. That time I did pass out but luckily I was already in the hallway and sitting in a wheelchair. My instructor (who was new to teaching clinical) was mortified! :oops: Again I got so overheated that I was sick too. I don't do well in the heat.

I have been in the OR at other times and watched a few surgeries and I was fine...because it was so cold down there. I'm not sure if what I've written is helpful but just wanted to relate.

Take care and good luck!

Hey all, I was thinking about internships and residencies further along the road, and I started worrying about fainting. I shadowed a vet for a few hours last year and fainted during a neuter. The weirdest thing about it was that I started feeling really hot and light-headed, forced myself to look, told myself I've seen countless surgeries on TV (totally, totally not the same, I know, but I expected better from myself ><), and just dropped to the floor a few seconds later. The vet was really nice about it and the tech got me a glass of water when I came to. So my question is.. does this get better with time/practice, or should I be worried...? I'm still relatively new in the pre-vet scene and tend to freak out quite easily, I'm afraid! :laugh:

Funny little story about a good friend of mine that is a med student. She was in her 2nd year and learning to intubate patients. She lost it! Fell to the ground, hit her head, the whole shpiel! Pretty embarassing for her since med students are particularly more mean than we are! Poor girl, funny story though!

It seems to go away in time. Definitely be aware of the cues! I've never fainted in my life, but I came close during my first dog castration. Sat down on the floor before I fell, thankfully. I went to the bathroom and stripped off my clothes until I cooled down - I was burning up! 10 minute breather and I was good for more. The blood isn't what bothers me, it's the damn relatively bloodless castrations! I still get a little twitchy when a pitbull or something with larger...yeah...comes in to be done. I'm so looking forward to my first large animal castration... :thumbdown:sleep:

I haven't fainted yet (please let me keep it that way!), but this reminds me of some 'fatherly advice' I got from one of the vets from a small animal clinic I was shadowing at.

I was about to go in with one of his colleagues to observe a cat spay, and he comes and puts his hand on my shoulder, completely serious-like. He gives me this very Concerned Face and we have the following exchange:

Him: Is this your first surgery?
Me: Yes.
Him: Well, I just wanted to make sure you had one thing sorted out. If you start to feel like you might faint...
*silence*
Me: ...yes?
Him: *leans in closer, as if he's about to share The Meaning of Life* Fall away from the table.

Then he gives me this brisk, all-business nod, pats me on the shoulder, and waved me on.

I haven't fainted yet (please let me keep it that way!), but this reminds me of some 'fatherly advice' I got from one of the vets from a small animal clinic I was shadowing at.

I was about to go in with one of his colleagues to observe a cat spay, and he comes and puts his hand on my shoulder, completely serious-like. He gives me this very Concerned Face and we have the following exchange:

Him: Is this your first surgery?
Me: Yes.
Him: Well, I just wanted to make sure you had one thing sorted out. If you start to feel like you might faint...
*silence*
Me: ...yes?
Him: *leans in closer, as if he's about to share The Meaning of Life* Fall away from the table.

Then he gives me this brisk, all-business nod, pats me on the shoulder, and waved me on.

Gotta love a vet with a sense of humor. :laugh:

I have definitely had my share of fainting....during a presentation in 9th grade as well as in a castle in Holland. I have no problems with surgeries at all, but of course... after a year and a half of watching all types of surgeries I passed out. I was scrubbed in to help with an ACL repair and felt the signs coming on, asked if I could step out and fell into the other doctor's arms. It was totally embarrassing, and of course everyone thought I was pregnant after that.

My advice, just learn the signs!! I started to feel really hot and a little light headed. By the time I couldn't fight it any longer it was too late. Don't be afraid to say anything and seriously eat something before surgery!

IJust the other day, one of the vets pulled a warble grub thing out of a kitten's wound, and you should have seen his face. And he is 6 years out of school, very good vet. So--my sympathies, it will get better, and most people worry about this at one point or another.

Yeah, warbles are gross. We were shown a picture of a deer carcass with hundreds of grubs, just rows and rows of them across the animal's ribs and back. Yikes!

I totally sympathize with the 6-year-out vet. I still have a few things that make me blanch. Oddly enough, I have no problem with gruesome surgeries, but something like dialysis, where the blood flows out of the body through huge tubes, makes my head swim. Also, using obstetrical wire on cow fetotomies.

I think these things tend to go away with experience.

its happened to me. first surgery that i got to scrub in on: it was really late and the air had went off and i hadnt eaten in a long while. i was so nervous to make sure i did the best i could, and didnt breathe too regularly. they had to get me a stool and some pretzels and juice, but since then i've been much better.

i make sure that i breathe well and that i shift positions as i stand there. if i hold myself still too long, i get dizzy. so no worries, you'll be fine!

I shadowed a vet a few years ago during 2 neuters and 1 spay and surprisingly, I never fainted although I did feel a little sqeamish. I know that seeing surgeries on TV isn't the same but it kind of shows you what to expect, so maybe that helped me...

Don't feel bad...a girl in our class fainted during anatomy lab during the first week of class...talk about embarassing...

Okay, so I've never fainted during surgery, but after being regaled with stories of people passing out while doing their first surgery, I am suddenly worried. The morning of my first surgery, I plan on eating DINNER at 6 AM. I don't want to pass out for something as silly as not eating enough for breakfast. Plus they say if you have to scrub out (to eat, go to the bathroom, pass out, whatever) your back up surgeon finishes for you. I don't want to not finish my first surgery. That dog is getting spayed by me NO MATTER WHAT!

Okay, so I've never fainted during surgery, but after being regaled with stories of people passing out while doing their first surgery, I am suddenly worried. The morning of my first surgery, I plan on eating DINNER at 6 AM. I don't want to pass out for something as silly as not eating enough for breakfast. Plus they say if you have to scrub out (to eat, go to the bathroom, pass out, whatever) your back up surgeon finishes for you. I don't want to not finish my first surgery. That dog is getting spayed by me NO MATTER WHAT!

I think my experience is relevant enough to this that I wanted to share. Related to non-human primate necropsy. When I was being taught (shown) how to do this kind of necropsy, I passed out twice. The same day, not 30 min after passing out the second time, my necropsy trainer said, "Ok, your turn," and they brought over the next macaque. I was scared out of my mind, wasn't sure I'd be able to stay conscious, let alone do the procedure. But actually having something to do rather than just watching made all the difference in the world for me.

This could very easily be totally different from having a live patient on the table who is depending upon you for their survival. But I just thought I'd share. You might be totally fine--so busy doing that you don't have time to psych yourself out. :)

I was scared out of my mind, wasn't sure I'd be able to stay conscious, let alone do the procedure. But actually having something to do rather than just watching made all the difference in the world for me.

This could very easily be totally different from having a live patient on the table who is depending upon you for their survival. But I just thought I'd share. You might be totally fine--so busy doing that you don't have time to psych yourself out. :)

I totally agree... I had a similar experience watching bull castrations in central america. I definitely felt light-headed and a little queasy watching other students do the procedure before me. But once it was my turn and I was actually doing it, I felt perfectly fine.

Also, I took a class once where the prof liked to go on these long rants detailing various gruesome aspects of human surgeries and I used to occasionally feel a little light-headed (particularly the obgyn ones for some reason) even though I volunteered at a human hospital ER and saw stab wounds and gunshot victims almost every shift.

I guess it's one thing to intellectualize it and it's a completely different thing to take an active role in it. (maybe it's all the epinepherine?)

Last edited:
thank you for posting this thread because I'm almost afraid to admit that I've had similar experiences as well, although not to the point where I fall onto the ground. I definitely agree with what a lot people have already mentioned. Don't worry about it. You'll be used to it eventually. And I also figured when I feel light headed, it's usually either the room is too stuffy or I didn't eat a full breakfast. Just few tips

* Stay relaxed when you are watching the surgery, which means keep breathing (haha.... I sometimes forget).
* When you feel light headed, try to take long and deep breaths.
* If the feeling consists, just walk away and take some fresh air. If it's severe, lay flat on somewhere, elevate your legs to get the blood back to your brain. Don't be embarrassed to step out. There are many factors to which you might feel dizzy on that day. Your health and safety always come first.

I hope those tips help. You are not alone =)

I do fine for surgeries, but we did a nail trim and every one of these tiny little dog's nails on its hind feet began to bleed. It was strange that his quick was so long, and because his nails were black, it was hard to tell. At any rate, the little bugger bled quite a bit and we finally decided to get out the silver nitrate stick... the exam room just filled with the smell of blood combined with the smell of the stick, and damn, I had to hand the dog to the vet and go sit down!

I think most everyone has their moments. Just know when to duck out if you have to. (Like everyone else said.) :)

hard bolied eggs (1 or 2 depending on how long my surgery day is) are my best friends for surgery days. Carrys me through the really long procedures (of course this will only work if you eat eggs:) )