Faith-Based Osteopathic Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aloe paleo

Reaction score
Is the University of the Incarnate World (and Loma Linda, M.D.) the only faith-based osteopathic medical school? Are there any others? I am really interested in going to a school that is faith-based

Members don't see this ad.

Creighton is catholic

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

lol why bother commenting?

Anyway, @ OP, I know you asked for osteopathic, but since you mentioned an allopathic school in your original post, Loyola Stritch and Georgetown are both Jesuit. FWIW, I work with a Georgetown MD grad and he says that it has little influence on education and training there.

Reactions: 1 user
Liberty. I believe Campbell is too.

Another MD: Loyola

The only schools that I know of where the sponsoring program's religious values pervade student life are LUCOM and Loma Linda. The Touros and Einstein follow Orthodox Jewish strictures, but it doesn't affect the students except for the calendar and few other things.

Reactions: 1 users
When I interviewed at Campbell a few years back, I mentioned that I wasn’t religious and asked about if this would cause any issues with fitting in. The interviewer looked very confused and the interview had a shadow over it from that point on.

When I interviewed at Campbell a few years back, I mentioned that I wasn’t religious and asked about if this would cause any issues with fitting in. The interviewer looked very confused and the interview had a shadow over it from that point on.
Campbell isn't really faith based. It was founded by a Baptist minister but nothing about it is really faith based anymore, atleast from who I've spoken to. I think on paper it might mention it but there likely isn't any emphasis outside certain programs.

Campbell University is actively faith based. Campbell med school will have some prayers offered at big events or occasionally by visiting administrators but no one is required to be Christian

William carey also has some level of faith based affiliation but I cannot speak to the specifics

Really only at LUCOM of all DO schools does the faith end up significantly affecting the students.

TUNCOM is Jewish affiliated, but the only real affect is that the students get more holidays and short classes on Friday. Also restrictions on what food can be brought to school affiliated events.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only heavily faith based DO school is LUCOM (the others kinda are but not really), and you don't want to go to LUCOM.

Idk, the grads who matched Ophtho, Ortho, and ENT from LUCOM this year probably don’t regret attending there.

Do your research, as with everything!

Reactions: 1 users
Idk, the grads who matched Ophtho, Ortho, and ENT from LUCOM this year probably don’t regret attending there.

Do your research, as with everything!

Someone matched ENT from CNU, doesn't mean I think applicants should apply there either.

• Love
If you have any fondness for premarital sex and drinking. The very things that help get you through med school are grounds for dismissal. But to each his/her own...
Oh that doesn't bother me and actually goes with my upbringing. How do they convey this info?

In their student manual thing that you can find online. Also I think there's a once or twice a week required convocation attendance. If it doesn't bother you, then by all means, a med school is a med school.

It just has a rep for being extremely restrictive of adults -- they (or maybe just the undergrad?) didn't allow R-rated movies and for students to be out past a curfew until recently too, and are pretty homophobic/transphobic.
Hmm interesting. I still need to research this school a little more before i move forward and form a more solid opinion about it. Thanks for helping me out

In their student manual thing that you can find online. Also I think there's a once or twice a week required convocation attendance. If it doesn't bother you, then by all means, a med school is a med school.

It just has a rep for being extremely restrictive of adults -- they (or maybe just the undergrad?) didn't allow R-rated movies and for students to be out past a curfew until recently too, and are pretty homophobic/transphobic.

Only the undergrad has these rules. Convocation is once per week and is optional.

I’ve spoken with a current student there....and that’s not true according to them

Did you speak to a student?

Don't forget Texas Christian University! (It's MD not DO) They say "values-based" instead of "faith-based" if that could help you in your search.

Don't forget Texas Christian University! (It's MD not DO) They say "values-based" instead of "faith-based" if that could help you in your search.

You're reading way too much into it. Nowhere on the website do they even mention religion. They do talk about the diverse student body and 10% LGBTQ+ student body in the class profile.

Personally, I don't understand why you would want to attend a school like LUCOM where religion and politics pervade your own personal and classmates' lives. But to each their own, I guess.

Reactions: 3 users
You're reading way too much into it. Nowhere on the website do they even mention religion. They do talk about the diverse student body and 10% LGBTQ+ student body in the class profile.

Personally, I don't understand why you would want to attend a school like LUCOM where religion and politics pervade your own personal and classmates' lives. But to each their own, I guess.

I am happy I wasn't in a position to have to attend a school like LUCOM, but to your second point: the same way many students would feel more comfortable going to a school without any sort of religious affiliation, many students feel more comfortable attending a school WITH a religious affiliation/culture.

That's pretty much it.

My mistake assuming Texas Christian University had a conservative affiliation. I dug into it a bit to see how they got their name. They are historically affiliated with the Disciples of Christ Church, though the affiliation is clearly not as influential on student life as it is at more conservative Christian schools. It would also appear the Disciples of Christ is a progressive tradition more interested in social justice than indoctrination, so it tracks that they welcome a diverse student body. I'm guessing it's not OP's flavor of Christianity so the suggestion was off-base and I apologize for that.