Fall 08 schedule question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlXguy

idk.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that it's a bit early asking a question about the fall schedule, but should I take Organic Chem and Calc I OR Organic Chem and Physics I? I've heard from some people to avoid taking Org Chem and Phys in the same semester. Other than those two classes, I'll probably take two or three electives.

Members don't see this ad.

I would avoid orgo and physics together. Calc shouldn't be that tough to handle with orgo.

People are prolly gonna pop in here and say they did it with a million other courses in the same semester and it was easy. Truth is that it's doable, but if you can make things easier for yourself why don't you? If you lose nothing by splitting them apart then take them separate semesters. If you're asking whether calc is more difficult than physics, probably not but both subjects vary greatly from school to school and even within school. I vote for taking orgo and calc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on taking Orgo W/ physics in the Fall... is this seriously an unwise venture? i have been taking my gen chem w/ calculus (I & II), and now plan to to the Orgo's w/ physics... i was actually excited for this fall...but now, of course, something on SDN has freaked me out a little...

thoughts? why is O-chem and Physics a bad combo? is it the labs?

I'm planning on taking Orgo W/ physics in the Fall... is this seriously an unwise venture? i have been taking my gen chem w/ calculus (I & II), and now plan to to the Orgo's w/ physics... i was actually excited for this fall...but now, of course, something on SDN has freaked me out a little...

thoughts? why is O-chem and Physics a bad combo? is it the labs?

It's doable. It all depends on the person. You've already taken more math than most premeds. If you're strong in math, physics I is not a tough class. What can make the combo tough is that both courses take study time - sometimes lots of study time, and practice in order to do well. I think the real key is to determine early in the courses how much time you personally need to devote to them in order to do well, and then stick with that. Don't fall behind because both courses build on previously covered material.

Take organic and calculus, then physics. I don't understand how someone can learn physics without applying calculus; it was created just to explain physical phenomena. Even the basics require calculus.

People are prolly gonna pop in here and say they did it with a million other courses in the same semester and it was easy. Truth is that it's doable, but if you can make things easier for yourself why don't you? If you lose nothing by splitting them apart then take them separate semesters. If you're asking whether calc is more difficult than physics, probably not but both subjects vary greatly from school to school and even within school. I vote for taking orgo and calc.

Exactly, its going to be different for everyone. There are people that would tell you its easy and they took a bunch of hard classes together and got a 4.0, but if your like me and have a tough time cramming a bunch of difficult classes in one semester why not make it easier and separate them out. I would also take Organic with Calc but its what would suit you best.

I was in your boat this past semester. I took Ochem 2, Gen. Physics 1, Calc 2, English, and religion. It is doable, but you need to devote a lot of time to both. If you take both, it will prob. cut into your social life for the semester, but it depends on the person.

Good luck!

Fall '06: Calc 1, Physics 1, OChem 1, Micro research
Spring '07: Calc 2, Physics 2, OChem 2, Presented at ASM conference

I worked fulltime that year, too. It can be done, but it's not easy.

Limit your course load and difficulty.

If you do not think you can handle it, don't do it. One bad semester (or year) takes a lot of work to dig out from.

That is unless you thrive on stress, then by all means do it.

I really think its school dependent. At my school, taking Orgo and Bio together was insane but Orgo and Physics was doable. I personally took one science at a time which was better for me but that meant I had to take a year off. I would talk to people at your own school to see what they say.

Calc first.
Calc will help with physics, even if it is not calc based it will still help.

What do you think you're stronger more comfortable with? Math or physics?

Also, is the physics calc based or not? If not, and if you're more comfortable with physics then there's nothing wrong with taking it with Organic. Personally I was always more comfortable with physics than calc so I'd probably go that route. I took some time off school in undergrad and by the time I went back and took Physics 1 & 2 it had been years since I had calc, let alone any math and didn't have a problem with it.