Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Fall 2005 semester flaws

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Odysseus, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Odysseus

Odysseus Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Fall 2005 semester has just come to an end, and grades are now posted. How do med schools look at your gpa: overall BCPM and cumulative gpa, or on a semesterly basis? What if your gpa has fallen, but u can still pick it up? Does that detract from your chances at top-notch med schools? If you have a "B" in subject, do you recommend retaking the course?

By the way, congrats to all the people accepted into med schools! Congrats, docs!

2. Chris127

Chris127 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Retake for a B? No way in hell.

3. Odysseus

Odysseus Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm in biological sciences, though, and the B is in my bio course. At which bio courses will med schools look?

4. Odysseus

Odysseus Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

and based on mdapplicants, peeps have been tooting 3.8-3.9 gpa's for top schools. I'm probably over 3.5, but no where near those astronomica gpa's. what if I fall one semster below 3.5?

5. byeh2004

byeh2004 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

thats a good question, does anyone know?

6. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic Avatar=One of the Greats
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's an unreasonable question for anyone thats not on the adcom to answer. Remember the admissions game is a crapshoot: some people that have stats outside a standard deviation below the school's mean (in terms of gpa and mcat) get in for some reason and some people one standard deviation above the school's mean don't get in. There's no magic formula to say if your B in Biochemistry or Basketweaving is going to keep you from being competitive at harvard. The only thing you can do is apply to a variety of schools and hope for the best.

7. crazy_cavalier

crazy_cavalier T3-Weighted
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A B is still a good grade. In theory, it's "above average". C = average, which is by no means a badge of shame. A should be reserved for rare cases of excellence. I don't understand how the grading scheme in this country has been inflated so much. That's what happens when education becomes a business, which it has :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...