Fall 2005 semester flaws

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Odysseus

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fall 2005 semester has just come to an end, and grades are now posted. How do med schools look at your gpa: overall BCPM and cumulative gpa, or on a semesterly basis? What if your gpa has fallen, but u can still pick it up? Does that detract from your chances at top-notch med schools? If you have a "B" in subject, do you recommend retaking the course?

By the way, congrats to all the people accepted into med schools! Congrats, docs!

Members don't see this ad.

Retake for a B? No way in hell.

Chris127 said:
Retake for a B? No way in hell.

I'm in biological sciences, though, and the B is in my bio course. At which bio courses will med schools look?

Members don't see this ad :)
and based on mdapplicants, peeps have been tooting 3.8-3.9 gpa's for top schools. I'm probably over 3.5, but no where near those astronomica gpa's. what if I fall one semster below 3.5?

Odysseus said:
Fall 2005 semester has just come to an end, and grades are now posted. How do med schools look at your gpa: overall BCPM and cumulative gpa, or on a semesterly basis? What if your gpa has fallen, but u can still pick it up? Does that detract from your chances at top-notch med schools? If you have a "B" in subject, do you recommend retaking the course?

By the way, congrats to all the people accepted into med schools! Congrats, docs!

thats a good question, does anyone know?

byeh2004 said:
thats a good question, does anyone know?

That's an unreasonable question for anyone thats not on the adcom to answer. Remember the admissions game is a crapshoot: some people that have stats outside a standard deviation below the school's mean (in terms of gpa and mcat) get in for some reason and some people one standard deviation above the school's mean don't get in. There's no magic formula to say if your B in Biochemistry or Basketweaving is going to keep you from being competitive at harvard. The only thing you can do is apply to a variety of schools and hope for the best.

A B is still a good grade. In theory, it's "above average". C = average, which is by no means a badge of shame. A should be reserved for rare cases of excellence. I don't understand how the grading scheme in this country has been inflated so much. That's what happens when education becomes a business, which it has :rolleyes: