Fall 2009 Applications!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on ur acceptance!:thumbup:
I am applying to the ILLINOIS UNIVERSITIES. northern illinois, southern illinois at carbondale and univ of illinois at springfield.
I have completed their online aplications and will be sendin the rest of the documents this week.
Hoping to get accepted in any one with a scholarship or assistantship!:xf:
I got 1250 in GRE and 113 in TOEFL. I had missed the UIC deadline! I completed BDS in India and have a ONE year experience.
Hope all this counts and I get good news regarding admission soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on ur acceptance!:thumbup:
I am applying to the ILLINOIS UNIVERSITIES. northern illinois, southern illinois at carbondale and univ of illinois at springfield.
I have completed their online aplications and will be sendin the rest of the documents this week.
Hoping to get accepted in any one with a scholarship or assistantship!:xf:
I got 1250 in GRE and 113 in TOEFL. I had missed the UIC deadline! I completed BDS in India and have a ONE year experience.
Hope all this counts and I get good news regarding admission soon!

heyyy dr fairy!!we're pretty similar-i too gt 1250 in GRE n 114 in TOEFL and am a dentist from India.What program are you applying to-MPH or MHA?

I submitted my application about 3 weeks ago to Michigan, Yale, Harvard, SLU, and Minneosta. I am also considering applying to Iowa and Rush to be safe.

I took the GRE and got a 1250 which is a little higher than I expected, hopefully it gets me into one of those schools! My GPA, after my final semester, is 3.75 cumulative.

The only school I have heard from so far is Minnesota, and I am invited for an interview on Feb. 13. I'm still waiting to hear from the other schools (Yale contacted me and said that they haven't received my GRE scores yet)

Good luck with your application cycles! Has anyone heard from these other schools yet?

Great news- checked my email this morning and have interviews with Michigan and SLU. So during the month of February, I will interview with Minnesota, SLU, and Michigan- I'm still waiting to hear from Harvard and Yale

Members don't see this ad :)
heyyy dr fairy!!we're pretty similar-i too gt 1250 in GRE n 114 in TOEFL and am a dentist from India.What program are you applying to-MPH or MHA?

welll dats great! i m applying for MPH! wat abt u? will be mailing the univ my docs iA by monday! and den gues I will know abt acceptances in Jan/ Feb!
Wat abt u? Which univ r u applying to and arent u doin dds?

welll dats great! i m applying for MPH! wat abt u? will be mailing the univ my docs iA by monday! and den gues I will know abt acceptances in Jan/ Feb!
Wat abt u? Which univ r u applying to and arent u doin dds?

i'm taking a shift into MHA....nope not planning to do dds...as hubby n i don't plan to settle dn here in d US...will be returning after a couple of years....dds will be equivalent to just an undergrad degree then.

Great news- checked my email this morning and have interviews with Michigan and SLU. So during the month of February, I will interview with Minnesota, SLU, and Michigan- I'm still waiting to hear from Harvard and Yale

heyyy congrats abt the interview calls!!!!!i'm still waiting to hear fm Michigan, UNC n Minnesota....got accepted into SLU :),
Btw,u're applying for the MHA program rite?

Hi everyone!

My application finally made it to Harvard on the 11th via SOPHAS. Got a mail from the adm. office that I had met the submission before deadline requirement. Applications should be sent for review in mid Jan, we should hope to hear from the late Feb/early Mar

all the best!

Hi everyone!

My application finally made it to Harvard on the 11th via SOPHAS. Got a mail from the adm. office that I had met the submission before deadline requirement. Applications should be sent for review in mid Jan, we should hope to hear from the late Feb/early Mar

all the best!

I got the same email, it was sort of tease to know we need to wait another 2 months or so to hear from them! How does Harvard's Master's of Science in Health Management rank compared to Michigan? That will be a tough choice if I get accepted to both (although its highly unlikely!)

Does anyone know when the next SOPHAS mailing is? I was notified today that it was verified (finally) but am now starting to worry as I didn't realize two of my schools wanted applications in hand by the 15th, not just submitted. :/

Email SOPHAS, they usually reply within a day (include your SOPHAS ID in your correspondence).

I don't think Harvard SPH will wait until that stated time. If you're top and bottom of the applicant pool, expect acceptances/rejections in late Jan/early Feb. Otherwise, it'll be a long wait. :(

Futureepi...the next mailing date is 12/17/2008 (at least according to my SOPHAS application page).

Man I really hate SOPHAS!

I'm still waiting for my transcripts to get verified and hoping to make the deadline at Yale on the 15th of Jan.

I am completely finished with my application to Yale, PS's are done and revised, coursework in, rec letters in, its just those flippin transcripts =/

Does anyone know the next mailing date? I know there was one today but what's the next one after?

i'm wondering: has anyone gotten an interview or an admit to columbia or yale yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
so who here HASN'T sent in their applications yet? Am I the only one besides byeh2004? I was basically all ready to send mine and then at the last minute became worried about my SOPs and decided to revise them (I know I shouldn't be like that). And besides, none of my recommendations have been sent in yet--which is disturbing since I gave my profs the forms back in October.

I plan on shipping off both my SOPHAS and non-SOPHAS apps late this month or during the 1st week of January. I suppose this will put me at a disadvantage for the schools like Darmouth that have rolling deadlines . . .

I haven't sent in my applications yet -- I was waiting for confirmations for my LORs and I really dont like my personal statement (I am like you...I have a feeling I might delete and re-write)
I am hoping to submit my applications by next week

a bit of good news!just checked my mail abt 5min back...n got an interview with Minnesota in Jan!:xf:

seedont, what program did you apply for at minnesota? when did you submit your application?

seedont, what program did you apply for at minnesota? when did you submit your application?
If you're applying for the epi MPH program (just by looking at your name, that's what I'm assuming), you won't have an interview. The majors within the epidemiology and community health division do not have interviews.

Hey guys, after "e-submitting" your application to SOPHAS, how long does it take for them to send it out?

I checked my email this morning and it said FedEx was sending me a package from Emory, so I went to OPUS and checked and I got accepted for Fall 09. I submitted my apps on SOPHAS on November 21st, and already received my first decision so that gives you guys some idea of how quick they're sending out the applications and how fast the schools are responding. I also think I might hear from BU either by the end of the month or by early next month.

Are people in SOPHAS even working this week? I already submitted one of my apps (in hand by Jan 15th) last Friday. I just really hope it gets there in time.

I checked my email this morning and it said FedEx was sending me a package from Emory, so I went to OPUS and checked and I got accepted for Fall 09. I submitted my apps on SOPHAS on November 21st, and already received my first decision so that gives you guys some idea of how quick they're sending out the applications and how fast the schools are responding. I also think I might hear from BU either by the end of the month or by early next month.
same here re: Emory and I submitted early December :thumbup:

I was complete at SOPHAS 09/25/08; mailed to schools 10/16/08.
Complete at BU 10/21; complete at Yale 10/29.
Received acceptance at BU on 11/22; received acceptance at Yale today.

Good luck, and happy holidays!

Can anyone who has been accepted post their stats/date applied/date accepted/program? I think it would be helpful to both current and future applicants!

Here's my stats:

GPA: 3.78
GRE: V-640, Q-730, AW-6.0

Emory - Behavioral Sciences (MPH): Applied 11/21, Admitted 12/22

I'm worried...
I was trying to meet the Yale/Umich deadlines of December 15th - I thought it meant that we had to finish e-submitting to SOPHAS by then.. so I submitted really late Dec. 14th. They already had my transcripts, recs, etc.

Does anyone know if I still qualified before the deadline? :confused:

I was complete at SOPHAS 09/25/08; mailed to schools 10/16/08.
Complete at BU 10/21; complete at Yale 10/29.
Received acceptance at BU on 11/22; received acceptance at Yale today.

Good luck, and happy holidays!
nice! :thumbup:

Does anyone know when the next mailing date is?

Hey everyone,

I just got off the phone with SOPHAS. They said the next mailing date is Jan 5th. Fyi.

I e-submitted SOPHAS this evening. I guess I still won't make the Jan 5th mailing date; I submitted too close to the date and only one of my LORs have been sent in. They won't forward the application with on ly 1 LOR, will they? I'm wondering how much it will hurt my chances by getting these apps out so late.....sorry, I just have to spill my angst to everyone :eek:

Hey,
To add to the stats and admissions...
GPA - Undergrad - 3.90
Med School - Credit
MCAT - VR-11 PS-12 BS-13 WS-N
JHSPH - Admitted - Dec 3
HSPH - Pending
LSHTM - Pending
When anyone hears from HSPH or LSHTM let us all know...

Publichealthqs,

International public health is my focus and all of those schools have departments that focus on global health, with the exception of Berkeley and UNC. UNC has changed their program title to Global health, which is some indication of their departments direction. Additionally, I've worked with FHI in China and they highly recommended UNC's Health Education and Health Behavior (HEBE) program. Berkeley simply because of my bay area connection.

In regards to Columbia, it just doesn't have the international public health appeal i'm interested in. Although, a dual degree with their SIPA program would be something worth considering.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but to me Yale seemed like a nascent program in the process of finding its nitch and trying distinguishing it self from the rest of the pack. I'm sure they do have great programs, just not sure about their focus on international health. UMich was a no go because of my hatred for the cold, although I would find a way to deal with my disposition if I was accepted into Harvard.

This is probably not the right forum to discuss this, but i'm interested to hear how Uganda's public health programs are? Were you working for an NGO? How did they distribute malaria nets and other preventative measures?

No, my applications have no been submitted yet, still putting the finishing touches on the essay.

Best of luck and keep me updated on your application process.

Hey, Sorry that I haven't responded in such a long time. I'm working with an NGO, but it is a small GP clinic. We only give out nets if other NGO's give us nets to give out. The research was on diagnostic services and availability of proper medicines in surrounding informal sector health pharmacies and clinics... Johns Hopkins has a behavioral communications project here called AFFORD or UHMG (Uganda Health Marketing Group) that does a lot of really great work with IEC's and product develpoment. HIPS has been doing some great stuff with basic health education in the private sector (they are a USAID project) and Elizabeth Glaser has a good presence. There are a lot of USAID projects and JH projects here in Uganda. Well there is a lot more to say, but Uganda has a lot of need and a lot of great people here working on it.

I've submitted all my applications and am anxiously waiting. I've been accepted at GW and still waiting on the other schools.

I've heard similar stuff to what you mentioned about UNC and I think NC is a great state, but it isn't really an option now. As far as Yale and Columbia go, we'll see about their program. I've heard from a friend of a friend who is at Yale that she loves the program and she already had international experience before she went, so that is promising. But I haven't actually talked with anyone who went to Columbia about their international program. If anyone knows anything about Columbia's international program....feel free to chime in.

Otherwise, good luck to everyone!

Anyone out there looking to do a DVM/MPH program? I'm just finishing up my application to UIC and was looking for any kindred souls.

I'm a vet student at University of Illinois, my stats are:
Undergrad GPA: 3.65
VetMed GPA: 3.76
GRE: 1490

I have no idea how competitive those stats are or if it makes a difference when you're applying to a dual degree program, anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks!

I just found out by regular mail that I got accepted into the University of Minnesota for their Ph.D program in Health Services Research, Policy, and Administration! Made coming back to school after break that much better :thumbup:

Hi Canadian Residen

What program did u apply for at JHSPH?

My SOPHAS was submitted 12/7 and was sent 12/24 -
today I received an email from a school saying a decision was made and I would receive word in 7-10 days...

Is that good or bad? Considering the holiday, when would an admissions committee look at an application between 12/24 and 1/5 (I'm not sure when it was received)?

Hi. How did your application with Loma Linda go? Im applying there for the Spring quarter. How was the interview. I am an international applicant and I would like to knowsome feedback please. Thanks

I applied to UNC, University of Washington and Loma Linda University. I submitted applications at the end of September (although my final rec wasn't received until the last week of October). UNC only updated my application online last week, and the University of Washington updated this week. Apparently, the graduate admissions office at UW is "making some revisions to their database" (whatever that means) in case anyone starts to worry about how slowly they update application status. Had an interview with Loma Linda this past Tuesday (I declared "no religious affiliation" on my secondary app, so I don't know how that happened).

SOPHAS is the absolute bane of my existence - I suggest you submit as early as possible so you have time to correct any issues that may arise. That said, it seems like most schools do not even start thinking about applications until just before the deadline.

CanadianResiden

Congrats! How come you got a decision so fast?! Thats really cool!

Wow, ppl getting admitted already is awesome! This is the email I got from UC Berkeley 2 months ago:

Thank you for your interest in the UC Berkeley School of Public Health. Your application is now complete.

Admissions committees will begin reviewing applications in January. You can expect to hear final notification regarding admissions decisions by mid-April. We will send out all admissions notifications via e-mail, so please contact us with any changes of e-mail address.

You will not receive another e-mail from us until a decision has been made about your application.

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions
UC Berkeley School of Public Health

I've applied to 6 schools (Berkeley, UCLA, U Washington, Emory, BU, Harvard) and I have gotten atleast a confirmation or some type of message of receipt from all of them except UCLA and U Washington. I have read about others who have gotten contacted by Washington, but I'm just wondering if anyone has heard anything from UCLA.

I've applied to 7 schools and UCLA is the only one I haven't heard from too. I don't think they send out a confirmation so I would assume they have received your complete application, otherwise they would contact you. I only heard from UCLA admissions a couple months ago when I was missing some information from my application.

My SOPHAS was submitted 12/7 and was sent 12/24 -
today I received an email from a school saying a decision was made and I would receive word in 7-10 days...

Is that good or bad? Considering the holiday, when would an admissions committee look at an application between 12/24 and 1/5 (I'm not sure when it was received)?

jdando - which school sent you this email? I bet it's a good sign!

Just heard that I got accepted to SLU with a $15,000 Graduate Research Assistantship!

Also just heard that I have an interview scheduled with a Yale alum on Friday...any advice?

In Feb., I have interviews w Michigan and Minnesota, but am still waiting to hear back from Harvard. Has anyone heard from Harvard yet?

Just heard that I got accepted to SLU with a $15,000 Graduate Research Assistantship!

Also just heard that I have an interview scheduled with a Yale alum on Friday...any advice?

In Feb., I have interviews w Michigan and Minnesota, but am still waiting to hear back from Harvard. Has anyone heard from Harvard yet?
nice! @ the slu acceptance and funding offer

we seem to be applying to many of the same schools and i suspect i'll get some word within the next week or two on them...so a few ?s:

yale: is it a phone interview?

Minnesota: same question

michigan i know is in person.

Last edited:
Roughly how long does it take to hear back? SOPHAS says that it was mailed out on 01/07/09, and all my other apps were in by late December.

This wait is agonizing :scared:

Just as an update on acceptances...
I submitted my applications around mid-November

Accepted to Cornell MHA on 12/7 (they contacted me by phone)
Accepted to BU MPH on 12/16 (they contacted me by mail)
Accepted to Yale MPH on 12/22 (they contacted me by mail)

Now I am waiting on my others...

nice! @ the slu acceptance and funding offer

we seem to be applying to many of the same schools and i suspect i'll get some word within the next week or two on them...so a few ?s:

yale: is it a phone interview?

Minnesota: same question

michigan i know is in person. feb. 2nd? if so, i'll be there too. hear it's really laid back :thumbup:

GSBound-

Yale is a phone interview with an alumn

For me, Minnesota is an on-campus tour/interview

I too will be at Michigan on Feb. 2 for the Visit Day! From what I understand, if they invite you to visit day, you have a very good shot at getting in, so that is good news.

The only problem w SLU's funding, is that they want an answer by mid-feb, which might be before I hear from other schools! SLU is one of my top choices, but if I have an offer for more cash from a different school, that might change things. I don't know what to do!

Good luck!

For those of you who have gotten into BU, did you hear from them through regular mail or through email?