Fall 2009 Applications!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Next SOPHAS mailing date is 1/21 and yes they must calculate your GPA before sending your application out. It took them 11 days to verify my transcripts (not bad given I e-submitted 1/5, which must be around the peak of applications.) I was surprised to find that there is a cutoff to meet a mailing date- I submitted one application 1/19 but it won't be going out on in the 1/21 mailing. Not sure if mailings are every Wednesday or quite how that works.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the general timeline for hearing back? For example, 4-6 weeks, etc? Waiting = agony.

Water, it depends on the school and on the program - but I think that most schools have either a rolling process (so 4-6 weeks) or they wait and then make one decision after all apps come in (so expect something in early March).

Members don't see this ad :)
Next SOPHAS mailing date is 1/21 and yes they must calculate your GPA before sending your application out. It took them 11 days to verify my transcripts (not bad given I e-submitted 1/5, which must be around the peak of applications.) I was surprised to find that there is a cutoff to meet a mailing date- I submitted one application 1/19 but it won't be going out on in the 1/21 mailing. Not sure if mailings are every Wednesday or quite how that works.

Thanks.

SOPHAS actually sent me a message today that everything's been verified and I'm ready to be shipped off (that was fast)--but they won't do it until next week. I missed today's mailing :( So I'll just BARELY be making BU's priority deadline of Feb 1, assuming the mail even gets there in a timely manner. I'll second Water that this is agony.....

I just got an email from Yale saying an alum would be contacting me for a phone interview. Has anyone had one yet? What should I expect? Am I pretty much in?

@newname
may i ask what program you applied to and when you submitted your application?

Hi, everyone! Long- time lurker, first time poster. I can't begin to tell you how informative this forum has been. :D

My stats:

GRE (highest scores from two attempts): 620V, 660Q, 4.5AWA
Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 3.1
Upper-level Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Current GPA (been taking math courses part-time the last 3 quarters): 4.0

I have a BS in Health Information Management and have been working in the health care field for about 12 years. (I seem to be older than most of you here!) No significant public health experience beyond an HIV/AIDS epidemiology project I've been doing for the local public health department as part of my current job.

I applied to UW, U Mich, and UMN via SOPHAS. My applications were mailed 11/26/08.

Schools/Programs:

UW: MS in Epi and MPH in Social & Behavioral Sciences
U Mich: MPH in Epi and MPH in Health Behavior
UNC: MSPH/PhD in Epi and MPH in Health Behavior
UMN: MPH in Epi

I've received at least automated application receipt confirmations from every program, and in most cases been in direct contact with the admissions coordinators, but no admission decisions yet. I'm on pins and needles in anticipation!

My first choice is Epi, but I applied to HB programs in case the Epi programs don't think my quantitative skills are strong enough. HB relates to my interest in health disparities, so I would still be happy in one of those programs, if that's my best offer. I could always apply for a PhD in Epi after completing the MPH.

Has anyone heard anything from Hopkins or Harvard. I certified my applications back in mid November, and am patiently waiting. Anyone else doing the same?

Has anyone heard anything from Hopkins or Harvard. I certified my applications back in mid November, and am patiently waiting. Anyone else doing the same?

Same here (lurker on the board for a while.) Applied to Hopkins 16 November 2008, foreign applicant (well about as foreign as you can be - Canada.)

Called them this week, they said they'd call me back... still waiting.

Anyone heard from JHSPH?

I haven't yet heard from Hopkins or Harvard. I applied to Hopkins 12/1 and Harvard was sent 12/24.

Does anyone know about the Yale phone interview?

Thanks.

I also applied to Harvard in mid-November and still no news....

Here are my stats:

GRE: 720v780q
BSc + PhD

Has anyone heard from UW MPH Epi (or any other Epi programs, for that matter)?

Members don't see this ad :)

I didn't apply to UW MPH Epi, but I've applied to MPH Epi programs at Tulane, Emory, UCLA, UC-Berkeley, Minn, Pittsburgh, and Arizona. I have heard back from every school. UCLA just sent me an email today letting me know my application is complete and has been sent to the epidemiology department for review.

Random ? How many of you guys are MDs or going to be MDs and are you planning to practice or do something else with your MPH. Thanks

Has anyone heard any kind of confirmation or anything from U Illinois at Chicago? I've gotten some kind of notice from every school about my app being complete or if there was stuff missing,but I haven't head a thing from them, and its been over a month.

Not sure what program you're applying to at UIC but I did hear that for CHS applications they don't normally send out any update when your application has been received or is under review. I'd recommend checking in with the coordinator to make sure they have everything.

the check i sent to UIC cleared yesterday. but haven't heard anything from them.

Anyone else get the SOPHAS surveymonkey survey today? My responses included: 1.SOPHAS should post prominently in the portal system when the mailing dates are 2.Schools need to be much more clear on their websites whether the deadline means they need the app in their hands from SOPHAS by that date or whether it just needs to be e-submitted by that date (I ran into both kinds of programs). Anyhow, I was raking my brain to think of more feedback to give them but gave up after making these two points! : ) And I still can't decide if using SOPHAS saved me any time...I think it did, but just barely. (As opposed to if each school had their own separate app system). They certainly processed things faster than I thought they would.

Anyone else get the SOPHAS surveymonkey survey today? <snip> And I still can't decide if using SOPHAS saved me any time...I think it did, but just barely. (As opposed to if each school had their own separate app system). They certainly processed things faster than I thought they would.

I received the survey and my feedback was: 1) They should allow for individualized statements of purpose when applying to multiple programs at the same school. For U Mich HBHE (my second choice program), I had to cram my personal statement into a tiny "Additional Information" space, and for UW, I ended up submitting my statements through the school's application system; 2) They need to do something to make the Coursework section less tedious. Why do we have to enter all that info when they've got our transcripts? :rolleyes:

I suppose SOPHAS saved me a little time, but it sure didn't save me any money, considering I still had to pay additional application fees to UW and U Mich.

rejected from U Minnesota Epi today :(

Epi09, that's disappointing! I'm sorry to hear that. :( I applied to the same program (I'm assuming you applied for an MPH, not PhD) and haven't heard anything yet. Did they notify you by email or regular mail?

UW- Has anyone heard from them? I applied months ago, had an interview, and still no word. Anyone else in the same boat?

Aww sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll have better luck with some other schools. I applied to U Minn as well, but haven't received a decision yet. I'm worried b/c my math GREs aren't very good.

Those are some good ideas for the SOPHAS improvements. I forgot how tedious the coursework stuff was, I should have put that in there.

I wrote that they should provide more info about deadline dates if possible, and that it would be helpful if they could allow GRE scores to be sent to SOPHAS instead of having them sent to the individual schools.

I liked the SOPHAS app a lot, everything went pretty smoothly. With all the other schools I applied to something end up getting lost somewhere and I had to resubmit materials.

Bummer, I'm sorry! UMN is one of my top choices, I'm hoping to hear back soon - when did you apply?

Good luck with the rest of your schools - I'm sure something great will come through for you!

Epi09, that's disappointing! I'm sorry to hear that. :( I applied to the same program (I'm assuming you applied for an MPH, not PhD) and haven't heard anything yet. Did they notify you by email or regular mail?

Thanks. Yes, it was one of my top ones. I applied back at the end of November (decision came via postal).

got accepted to yale's sph for social and behavioral sciences.

for those interested in the timeline, i submitted to sophas on 12/31. they mailed it out on 1/7. received confirmation of complete application from yale on 1/14. and received letter in the mail today (1/24)

Congrats chillaxin!

Thanks for providing the timeline. I applied to Yale as well, both the chronic disease epi and the SBS pretty much around the same time as you. Hopefully I'll get my decision pretty soon.

I got accepted into Hopkins for the MPH program.Submitted önline 11/20, my application was complete by 12/5.My notification of acceptance was dated 1/17.I was also sent a letter by DHL. My stats: V-650, Q-660. International medical graduate,3 years work experience. I'm still waitin 2 hear from Harvard,maybe arnd Feb/Mar.

I'm a new poster, but I've been reading this thread and others for a few months now.

I was accepted at Emory in their epidemiology department about three weeks ago. I e-submitted to SOPHAS in late November, and my application was verified and mailed by the middle of December. I've also applied to GWU for epidemiology, and I'm waiting for my SOPHAS application to get to DC (it was mailed last Wednesday). Apparently it will take about a month to hear back from them about a decision, so now I'm just waiting :). GW is my top choice - they have a certificate program in HIV/AIDS studies which really interests me.

My stats:
Undergrad GPA: 3.15
GRE: V-590 Q-730 AW-4.0
Currently serving with AmeriCorps
Applied to Emory (MPH EPI), GWU (MPH EPI) and UNC (PHD EPI)
Accepted at Emory

Has anyone heard any kind of confirmation or anything from U Illinois at Chicago? I've gotten some kind of notice from every school about my app being complete or if there was stuff missing,but I haven't head a thing from them, and its been over a month.

I had the understanding that UIC does not have rolling admissions, and if the deadline is Feb 1, then they probably haven't even started confirming and reviewing applications yet; so that might be why they haven't contacted you with confirmation. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken. There is the Dec 1 priority deadline, though....

I was under the impression that UIC has rolling admissions. Still, I'd recommend checking with the coordinator- I was told you'd hear back 4-6 weeks after applying.
BTW, in case anyone's wondering, the next SOPHAS mailing date is 1/28/09 but you have to have submitted before (or maybe on) 1/23 to make this mailing.

Last edited:
A school contacted me and asked for my fall grades. Way to have me thinking about grad school apps again...just when it was in the back of my mind...

Last edited:
Got accepted into Yale for their Advanced Professional MPH Program. I submitted my SOPHAS on 12/15 and it was mailed on 12/27, I just received admission notification on 1/20. I am still waiting to hear from Harvard, Hopkins, and Columbia which will hopefully come soon.

Also as an FYI, which I actually forgot about. If any of you are applying for FinAid make sure to submit your FinAid application for each individual school by their deadline, because they are all different. I know Columbia's deadline is Feb 1. Most other places are not until March 1.

This may be a stupid question, but can you apply for financial aid before you choose which program to attend? Obviously, it's going to be part of the decision...

This may be a stupid question, but can you apply for financial aid before you choose which program to attend? Obviously, it's going to be part of the decision...

Yes! FAFSA is actually due February 1st and most schools have supplemental financial aid forms that are due sometime in February (or later, depending on the school).

Financial aid letters typically go out in March or April, before the April 15th deadline.

On a similar note...
Columbia's financial aid page recommends that you submit your parents' information on FAFSA, along with a copy of their W2's.
Does anyone know if this is necessary? Do they use your parents' information to determine your financial aid, even if your parents do not support you? I am curious.

Yes! FAFSA is actually due February 1st and most schools have supplemental financial aid forms that are due sometime in February (or later, depending on the school).

Financial aid letters typically go out in March or April, before the April 15th deadline.

I'm confused. Where did you get the deadline Feb 1 for FAFSA? I didn't think it was that early.

I'm confused. Where did you get the deadline Feb 1 for FAFSA? I didn't think it was that early.

Final deadlines are in June, but state forms differ:

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/before003a.htm

FAFSA Deadlines:

Submit 2008-2009 FAFSA on the Web Applications by midnight Central Daylight time, June 30, 2009.
Submit 2009-2010 FAFSA on the Web Applications by midnight Central Daylight time, June 30, 2010.

I'm not sure when the FAFSA deadline is, but I was refering to the additional financial aid application that each school has. Columbia's is due on Feb 1. Most schools do not inform you that their deadlines are that early, and most think like I did that you wait until accepted to go through the proper channels with the school the apply for FinAid. This is not the case, and if you wait, there may be no additional money to go around.

superhero is correct.

contact the financial aid office of each school you are applying to for fafsa and finaid addendum deadlines. many are listed on their websites.

priority deadline for columbia is feb 1st. harvard is feb 2nd. the rest of my schools are march 1st.

even if you have not completed your 2008 tax returns, use estimates and have it sent to all the schools you're applying to, regardless if you've heard back from them yet.

I'm not sure when the FAFSA deadline is, but I was refering to the additional financial aid application that each school has. Columbia's is due on Feb 1. Most schools do not inform you that their deadlines are that early, and most think like I did that you wait until accepted to go through the proper channels with the school the apply for FinAid. This is not the case, and if you wait, there may be no additional money to go around.

have you been accepted to Columbia? the financial aid website says:

"Prospective Students: Please note that only accepted students are packaged with financial aid and all award letters are posted online at https://admissions.columbia.edu/"

Yale states on the application that FAFSA is due by March 1st.
Harvard says to file no later than Feb. 2nd.
I think every school has a specific deadline, most are well before the official FAFSA deadline.

have you been accepted to Columbia? the financial aid website says:

"Prospective Students: Please note that only accepted students are packaged with financial aid and all award letters are posted online at https://admissions.columbia.edu/"

from http://www.mailman.hs.columbia.edu/financialaid/how_to_apply.html

"All students interested in applying for financial aid are urged not to wait until an offer from the Admission's office has been made."

Just when I took a breath after finishing with the application madness, I have to hurry up and complete all the FAFSA madness bynext week. This may be one scenario in which I ditch the FAFSA and appeal to any old, rich relative I have. I am just too pooped for any more applications or deadlines!!! :eek:

i shouldn't have applied to so many places.

i have 3 of my top 5 in the bag and a few others I'm accepted to already.

funding's going to decide it all.

I've been reading this thread for a while, and finally get to post! I checked OPUS today after I got an e-mail from FEDEX tracking and found out I was accepted to Emory mph (epi). I can't remember exact dates, but I submitted SOPHAS early Dec, and it was mailed mid Dec. Still waiting on all the other schools though...Good luck to everyone!

Okay, was anyone supposed to have their applications mailed by SOPHAS today?? Does your status on the SOPHAS portal say that your applications were mailed?? I got a message from SOPHAS a week ago saying my application was all ready and would be mailed in the "next weekly mailing," which I assumed would be today, 1/28, but I just checked my status this evening and it says my applications have not been not mailed.

What is going on??? I'm freaking out; the deadlines are 2/1. I paid the fees, my GPAS are calculated, 2 of my LORs are logged in, so what is going on??? Anyone else have this happen??

EDIT: okay, that was just me freaking out and being an idiot. I was so over-wired that I misread--my status actually says "Mailed: 3" and "Not Mailed: 0" (and not the other way around). This is really embarrassing. Why don't they have a feature on this board that lets you delete messages that were posted in error? It seems like you can only edit them--That is so annoying :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I applied for health policy&management MPH at University of Michigan
just now I got an email saying that a prof. would interview me over phone in the next few days
honestly I am a bit nervous.. my first interview...wonder what it would be like...

ps. does Umich give interviews to every applicant? seems that they do so with applicants for science programs