Fall 2009 (Sr. Year) Classes: Biochemistry II vs. Immunology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zona Pellucida

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the class schedule was released for next fall and ... figures.

The two classes I wanted to take the most are at the exact same time. FML

Anyways, I was curious to see what the opinions were on what would be more beneficial. At the moment I am leaning toward Immunology as I already have Biochemistry I (attending currently) under my belt so I figured it would be better to get Immunology and some Biochem rather than all Biochem and no Immuno. I just happen to like the Biochem teacher a lot more than the Immuno teacher but I shouldn't let that sway my selection. (Both of these classes are only offered Fall Semester)

Thoughts?

I know Biochemistry is taught during the first year of Medical School, but is Immunology, and if so, what year?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So the class schedule was released for next fall and ... figures.

The two classes I wanted to take the most are at the exact same time. FML

Anyways, I was curious to see what the opinions were on what would be more beneficial. At the moment I am leaning toward Immunology as I already have Biochemistry I (attending currently) under my belt so I figured it would be better to get Immunology and some Biochem rather than all Biochem and no Immuno. I just happen to like the Biochem teacher a lot more than the Immuno teacher but I shouldn't let that sway my selection. (Both of these classes are only offered Fall Semester)

Thoughts?

I know Biochemistry is taught during the first year of Medical School, but is Immunology, and if so, what year?

Thanks
There isn't really a standard - it varies by school. My opinion is that biochem is very helpful for medical school (I took it in college), but since you already took a quarter that's probably good. I didn't take immuno in college, and it probably would have helped in med school - we had immuno first quarter here (not the same everywhere). So, I'd go with immuno.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the course description for biochemistry II? If its cellular metabolism I would take that over immunology. However, immunology is a really interesting subject.

What's the course description for biochemistry II? If its cellular metabolism I would take that over immunology. However, immunology is a really interesting subject.

"Principles of Metabolic Regulation" is the main topic we are doing in Biochemistry I during April along with Glycolysis, Gluconeogenesis, the Pentose Phosphate Pathway, Citric Acid Cycle, and Phosphorylation/Photophosphorylation

Biochemistry II
A continuation of Biochemistry I. Among the topics covered are: a continuation of intermediary metabolism; biosynthesis; integration and hormonal regulation of metabolism; and storage and utilization of genetic information.

Immunology
This course explores the genetic and cellular basis of immunity, regulation of the immune system, and the effector mechanisms that provide protection or result in autoimmune disease.

"Principles of Metabolic Regulation" is the main topic we are doing in Biochemistry I during April along with Glycolysis, Gluconeogenesis, the Pentose Phosphate Pathway, Citric Acid Cycle, and Phosphorylation/Photophosphorylation
That stuff was all covered in med school for me, so having background in that would be nice. Do you know what's in your biochem II?

Uhh...I'm aware of that, sir...seeing as how I took Immuno. :confused:

Immuno most definitely. It definitely helps me delve deeper into the pathological and histological characteristics of disease than what my curriculum may present. A solid foundation in immuno is an asset for real.

So why is IgE >>>>> than a doughnut? You go eating helminths regularly? :p

What? You've never had Schistosome sushi before? :p

I like very few things more than I like doughnuts. God is one, and IgE is another because it's so darn interesting. :oops:

Seeing the description of biochem II, I'd definitely go with immuno.

Thanks for all the opinions. Really helped me to decide as I felt like I would be disadvantaged without Biochem II, but I'll live.

Immuno it is.