You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Fall 2010 Acceptances!
Started by JMM051
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
They said by the next week
how do you know, if you don't mind me asking? did you call them up by any chance?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where exactly did you folks check your status for Columbia MPH? If I haven't heard back yet, bad news on the way?
To quote: "another lurker emerged" lol
I just got into Columbia for epi!!
Stats: 1320 GRE
GPA 3.8 (double major + minor)
Early graduation to travel and volunteer in South America, lots of public health internships and volunteering and full-time work throughout college.
Also, lots of laboratory basic-research experience.
Columbia is my winner so far (accepted at Emory, BU, and University of Michigan), mainly because i've never been this excited in my life!!!!
The crisis will begin if I am accepted in Johns Hopkins - anybody want to throw in their two cents to the age-old dilemma: JHSPH or Mailman?
I just got into Columbia for epi!!
Stats: 1320 GRE
GPA 3.8 (double major + minor)
Early graduation to travel and volunteer in South America, lots of public health internships and volunteering and full-time work throughout college.
Also, lots of laboratory basic-research experience.
Columbia is my winner so far (accepted at Emory, BU, and University of Michigan), mainly because i've never been this excited in my life!!!!
The crisis will begin if I am accepted in Johns Hopkins - anybody want to throw in their two cents to the age-old dilemma: JHSPH or Mailman?
I received an e-mail a few minutes ago...
Columbia must be rolling out their emails today.
I just checked my email, and I got in for Epi! Most likely, I won't be able to go due to the high cost of living in New York, but it's nice to feel accepted. 😀
I just checked my email, and I got in for Epi! Most likely, I won't be able to go due to the high cost of living in New York, but it's nice to feel accepted. 😀
Accepted
Waitlisted
Rejected
Yale ...my first one so far
Waiting
UW/UCLA/JHU/Harvard
Waitlisted
Rejected
Yale ...my first one so far
Waiting
UW/UCLA/JHU/Harvard
Got into Columbia Epi as well. Absolutely need to know in how much time can a med grad complete the course...will affect the cost as well. I am happy but there's a lot I need to figure, ESPECIALLY the costs, before I can decide. I unfortunately could not apply to Hopkins. I deeply regret that because they have an 11 year MPH which makes it particularly attractive, not to mention their top rankings.
in at Columbia Epi as well. like everyone else, cost is a factor and I guess I'll be waiting around till next week to see if there are any scholarship offers! Congrats to all who got in!
Accepted
Waitlisted
Rejected
Yale ...my first one so far
Waiting
UW/UCLA/JHU/Harvard
Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Love the name btw - I'm an INTP as well
woohoo!!!!
In at Columbia MPH for Health Policy and Management - Effectiveness and Outcomes research
My stats are earlier in the thread but here is my updated school list.
Accepted:
Yale (Health Policy and Management)
UT - Houston (Health Services Organization)
Pitt (Behavioral and Community Health Sciences and Health Policy and Management)
Michigan (Health Behavior and Health Education)
Columbia (Health Policy and Management - Effectiveness and Outcomes research)
UCLA (Community Health Sciences)
Interview:
Michigan (Health Policy and Management)
Rejected:
None
Awaiting:
BU, U Washington, UNC
In at Columbia MPH for Health Policy and Management - Effectiveness and Outcomes research
My stats are earlier in the thread but here is my updated school list.
Accepted:
Yale (Health Policy and Management)
UT - Houston (Health Services Organization)
Pitt (Behavioral and Community Health Sciences and Health Policy and Management)
Michigan (Health Behavior and Health Education)
Columbia (Health Policy and Management - Effectiveness and Outcomes research)
UCLA (Community Health Sciences)
Interview:
Michigan (Health Policy and Management)
Rejected:
None
Awaiting:
BU, U Washington, UNC
Congratulations to everyone! I just received an email from Columbia, too, and was accepted in Sociomedical Sciences!
I also checked on the Hopkins site last Thursday, and have been accepted there as well. They have not sent me a notification email, or mail yet, but my decision information was available online- I only checked by chance!
Acceptances:
Emory
Johns Hopkins
Columbia
Still waiting:
BU
Yale
Good luck, everyone!
I also checked on the Hopkins site last Thursday, and have been accepted there as well. They have not sent me a notification email, or mail yet, but my decision information was available online- I only checked by chance!
Acceptances:
Emory
Johns Hopkins
Columbia
Still waiting:
BU
Yale
Good luck, everyone!
thanks d00dyes, I called the admissions office. they said they're switching to a new system so everything is a little behind, but that we should know by next week.
Anyone accepted into Columbia's SMS - research methods track?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello has anyone heard form part-time MPH schools? where did you apply and when? I applied to JHU and UMASS. haven't heard back yet.![]()
Hi, I applied to Columbia's part time MPH.
My application was submitted late December and considered "complete" late January.
The application is actually due sometime in June but I was told if I apply by the Jan 5th deadline I would get a decision earlier.
I found out today I was accepted.
got South Carolina too now...4 out of 5. one more to come . congrats 4 all the above acceptances
Hi, I applied to Columbia's part time MPH.
My application was submitted late December and considered "complete" late January.
The application is actually due sometime in June but I was told if I apply by the Jan 5th deadline I would get a decision earlier.
I found out today I was accepted.
I considered applying to this. I still have time. hmm
anyone know the ball park figure for columbia's total expenses/tuition for a year? and when their visit day is?
Congrats on the Columbia acceptance! 🙂Hi, I applied to Columbia's part time MPH.
My application was submitted late December and considered "complete" late January.
The application is actually due sometime in June but I was told if I apply by the Jan 5th deadline I would get a decision earlier.
I found out today I was accepted.
anyone know the ball park figure for columbia's total expenses/tuition for a year? and when their visit day is?
Someone posted that Columbia's Visit day are March 26 and April 9th
Citrusguy-
Someone posted Columbia's visit day(s) on the Visit Day thread...I think it was dependent on your dept.
As for costs...Columbia seems to estimate living costs, books and personal expenses at 19/20k. Fees are around 4,500 and tuition is 1248 a credit so around 15k a semester?
30k for tuition + 20k for living/personal expenses + 4500 in fees
It all makes my head hurt..
http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/prospective-students/financial-aid/tuition-fees
Good luck to everyone who has their heart is set on Columbia. While fun and exciting, living in NYC is expensive. 🙂
Someone posted Columbia's visit day(s) on the Visit Day thread...I think it was dependent on your dept.
As for costs...Columbia seems to estimate living costs, books and personal expenses at 19/20k. Fees are around 4,500 and tuition is 1248 a credit so around 15k a semester?
30k for tuition + 20k for living/personal expenses + 4500 in fees
It all makes my head hurt..
http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/prospective-students/financial-aid/tuition-fees
Good luck to everyone who has their heart is set on Columbia. While fun and exciting, living in NYC is expensive. 🙂
Hello has anyone heard form part-time MPH schools? where did you apply and when? I applied to JHU and UMASS. haven't heard back yet.![]()
I submitted 2/1/10 for the part time
I just got this email
Thank you for inquiring about your application!
At this time, the Admission's office has received all of your supporting documents. Therefore, your application has been forwarded on to the Admission Committee for review. The review process can take 8 to 10 weeks from the date your application is forwarded on to the Admissions Committee; however, once a decision is reached, you will be notified via mail and/ or email.
hopkins is trying to kill me lol
congrats to all o your acceptances!
loopsonflowers when did you submit your JHU app?
Unlike what seems like everyone else in this forum, I submitted on the deadline- December 1.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted 2/1/10 for the part time
I just got this email
hopkins is trying to kill me lol
I was told by BU it could take up to 8 weeks for me and it only took two. I hope you get a decision in a relatively timely fashion! 🙂
Have any of you Columbia applicants heard from the Dept of Pop & Family Health?
Congrats to all of you on your acceptances! So exciting.
Congrats to all of you on your acceptances! So exciting.
Unlike what seems like everyone else in this forum, I submitted on the deadline- December 1.
If I submitted on November 30th and still haven't heard, is that a bad sign?
3
304246
Columbia beat its estimated timeline! C'mon Hopkins!
Thanks!! Good luck with UMASS and JH!!Congrats on the Columbia acceptance! 🙂
INTPThinker, if you choose to apply, good luck!
Have any of you Columbia applicants heard from the Dept of Pop & Family Health?
Congrats to all of you on your acceptances! So exciting.
I'm also waiting on the PopFam dept, no word yet. By waiting, of course, I mean patiently checking my email every 14 seconds.
If I submitted on November 30th and still haven't heard, is that a bad sign?
I can't imagine it is, since that's only one day before me. I think different variables cause different applications to have different processing times. I wouldn't worry about it too much- Hopkins has got to be pretty far behind on their admissions work, due to the two weeks off we all got down here because of the snow.
Not that I have any idea, since I'm not on any admissions committee!
Best of luck to you!!! 🙂
Got another rejection over the weekend, this time from Emory. It would have been nice to see the new expansion, but its not my top choice. I'm still keeping up my hopes that Minnesota will take me into its wing.
All MS Biostats...
Acceptances: UT (via Sophas)
Rejection: UW, Emory
Waiting: UMinn
I have my fingers crossed!
And good luck to everyone still anxiously awaiting their results!
All MS Biostats...
Acceptances: UT (via Sophas)
Rejection: UW, Emory
Waiting: UMinn
I have my fingers crossed!
And good luck to everyone still anxiously awaiting their results!
Another lurker...
Congratulations to everyone on their acceptances!
I just heard from Columbia today too - accepted for Epi. As of now I'm trying to decide between Columbia and Emory. Living cost is a huge factor. Atlanta would be definitely be more affordable. Hope we hear about fin aid soon!
@PublicHealth26 - That is the dilemma! It would be a tough decision. I'm still waiting on Hopkins as well.
Congratulations to everyone on their acceptances!
I just heard from Columbia today too - accepted for Epi. As of now I'm trying to decide between Columbia and Emory. Living cost is a huge factor. Atlanta would be definitely be more affordable. Hope we hear about fin aid soon!
@PublicHealth26 - That is the dilemma! It would be a tough decision. I'm still waiting on Hopkins as well.
Another long-time lurker here. Heard back from Yale and I'm super excited! Just wanted to let y'all know how useful you have been during the waiting angst. It's always nice to know I'm not alone. 🙂
Accepted (all Epi):
--Yale (Chronic disease)
--Emory
--UIC
Rejected:
--UW (so sad! this was my top choice)
Waiting:
--Harvard
--UCLA
Stats:
3.1 GPA (chemistry, Ivy)
680V, 800Q, 5.0W
4 years hospital consulting experience
Accepted (all Epi):
--Yale (Chronic disease)
--Emory
--UIC
Rejected:
--UW (so sad! this was my top choice)
Waiting:
--Harvard
--UCLA
Stats:
3.1 GPA (chemistry, Ivy)
680V, 800Q, 5.0W
4 years hospital consulting experience
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why are they accepted? Probably because they had great stats, rec's, experience...😀
In all seriousness I wouldn't worry too much that you haven't heard. Someone commented that those who haven't heard back are getting bad news, that's not necessarily true. There are rejections going out along with the acceptances, it just happens that no one is posting them(friend of a friend got the rejection notice yesterday). In this case, no news is better news than a rejection. If you are really worried you could always call (I am not one who fears calling the admissions dept.)
Good luck- I hope it all works out 🙂
In all seriousness I wouldn't worry too much that you haven't heard. Someone commented that those who haven't heard back are getting bad news, that's not necessarily true. There are rejections going out along with the acceptances, it just happens that no one is posting them(friend of a friend got the rejection notice yesterday). In this case, no news is better news than a rejection. If you are really worried you could always call (I am not one who fears calling the admissions dept.)
Good luck- I hope it all works out 🙂
Last edited:
Tulane came yesterday to me with good news... and UMich dropped weirdly disappointing and confusing news.
I was rejected from Int'l Epi but I didn't think I was applying to that department!
I hope my application made it evident to them that I was interested in policy. I talked about Ken Warner and Cliff Douglas, who do domestic tobacco research in my personal statement. I still have an interview with policy which hopefully is entirely separate from the Int'l Epi process...
3.46 GPA, 610V/780Q/6.0AW
Accepted:
Emory (HPM-MSPH)
Tulane (Int'l Health)
Rejected:
UMich (Int'l Epi)
Interview:
UMich (HMP)
Waiting:
UPitt (HMP)
BU (Health Law)
I was rejected from Int'l Epi but I didn't think I was applying to that department!
I hope my application made it evident to them that I was interested in policy. I talked about Ken Warner and Cliff Douglas, who do domestic tobacco research in my personal statement. I still have an interview with policy which hopefully is entirely separate from the Int'l Epi process...
3.46 GPA, 610V/780Q/6.0AW
Accepted:
Emory (HPM-MSPH)
Tulane (Int'l Health)
Rejected:
UMich (Int'l Epi)
Interview:
UMich (HMP)
Waiting:
UPitt (HMP)
BU (Health Law)
Another lurker emerges. Right now, my top choice is Hopkins (super excited!), but waiting on Columbia too. Glad to see I'm not the only one...
Stats: 1260 GRE / 3.3 GPA (biochem, top-tier public) / undergrad research / 2 years global health communications exp.
Accepted
--Hopkins (IH MHS)
--Emory (Global Epi MPH)
--Pittsburgh (Epi MPH)
--GW (Epi MPH)
Waiting
--Columbia (Epi GH MPH)
--Yale (Epi GH MPH)
--Boston (Epi)
Stats: 1260 GRE / 3.3 GPA (biochem, top-tier public) / undergrad research / 2 years global health communications exp.
Accepted
--Hopkins (IH MHS)
--Emory (Global Epi MPH)
--Pittsburgh (Epi MPH)
--GW (Epi MPH)
Waiting
--Columbia (Epi GH MPH)
--Yale (Epi GH MPH)
--Boston (Epi)
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 5K