Fall 2010 Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well if you keep having the feeling that it will hurt you, maybe pick up an online course in something, or maybe a PE/Dance class. I don't know how large your university is but you could also look into supplementary instruction courses.

Why exactly would I want a supplementary/PE/Dance class, especially online?

Pledging a Frat = goodbye medical school...especially if its a crazy frat at some SEC or big time football school. I find it EXTREMELY difficult to be able to do that and still do well in school, and know of only 1 person who was successful in doing this, and by the way he was a genius and extremely well balanced. Even after, he told me that he couldn't believe he did it and he would have prob received more interviews if he wasn't so consumed w the frat. just something to think about....Not to mention you are going to be working

Crap :( is that just during the pledging part or the entire time throughout being in the frat?

Honestly the reason I want to join one is because I'm always doing work now so my social life sucks. I've only gone out one time this entire semester..that includes parties and just hanging out, maybe twice. I figured the frat would be good because the party would just be brought to me in a sense. Honestly now even when I do get the occasional couple of hours to do something fun I can't really do anything because the time I would have spent building friendships and whatnot was spent studying. I feel like I'm not as efficient as some other pre meds (the other side to that is that I'm getting straight A's while 3 "pre-meds" I know who go out a lot more than me are getting closer to a B average, it seems like many on here though are finding time to do both).

^also, not necessarily true because medical school wants to know that you will be able to handle a heavy load and still do well. One resident told me that the best thing you could do for yourself is take a heavy load, and do well...and i quote " they love that sh**"So while its more important to take 12-14 hrs if you must inorder to get A's, its DEF a plus if you can take 18-21 and maintain the same grades.

And also, even though they encourage diversity in their students with regard to the major's they chose, it is CRUCIAL that you take some upper div science courses if your not a Bio major (maybe cell bio, molecular, immunology, etc.) <== Dean of Admissions UTHSCSA mentioned this, and frnakly it makes sense bc alot of the classes you take in med school will be similar to these kinds of courses.

That's another reason I'm slightly worried about pushing physics back. Because in that case I'll really only realistically be able to get in 3 extra courses (microbio, biochem, bio of the eukaryotic cell) instead of 4 (those + microanatomy or immunology)

Members don't see this ad.

Animal Physiology + lab (1 cr)
Bioinformatics + lab (1 cr)
Independent Research (1 cr)
Russian Literature (1 cr)
Individual Fitness (0.5 cr)

[Yeah, our credit system is weird...]

organic chem I + lab (4 credits)
ecology (3 credits)
Microbiology + lab (5 credits)
calculus II (4 credits)
microeconomics (3 credits)
-19 credits total

Members don't see this ad :)
Why exactly would I want a supplementary/PE/Dance class, especially online?

Well as far as SI, it can be a real boost to your GPA (assuming you university doesn't grade the S/U), and they also help you in whatever course they are supplementing. For example, for all of my General Chemistry courses I took the SI class, and really helped me in the class and gave me a easy A. And I plan on taking them for both of the O Chem classes.

PE/Dance classes, have always been to me just a release, a class that you don't have to do anything for besides show up. You get to meet new people and have a lot of fun as well.

Online courses, I have taken a few, nothing really hard (a couple of introductory courses), but for general education requirements, when nothing else fits into your schedule they can be a good alternative.

organic chem I + lab (4 credits)
ecology (3 credits)
Microbiology + lab (5 credits)
calculus II (4 credits)
microeconomics (3 credits)
-19 credits total

Good luck

For all of you guys taking classes like this I have 2 questions
1. Are you getting A's?
2. How is your social life?

Maybe it's because I work slow, or because I make sure to workout 4x/week, or I'm on forums too much :)D, but really it's maybe an hour a day to keep me sane as a break from the work) but I don't understand how people can be taking some of these course loads and doing so well. A friend of mine is definitely a smart girl and very hard working and she's only taking orgo, ecology and genetics next semester because she thinks more would be too much. She also gets a lot less sleep than me I believe (I'm dead without ~7 hours). Sometimes I think I do too much for each class, but honestly I have about a 95 is almost all of my courses so if I did too much less and even dropped 2 points that would take the gpa given from a 4.0 to a 3.67 so I don't feel like I have much wiggle room.

Well as far as SI, it can be a real boost to your GPA (assuming you university doesn't grade the S/U), and they also help you in whatever course they are supplementing. For example, for all of my General Chemistry courses I took the SI class, and really helped me in the class and gave me a easy A. And I plan on taking them for both of the O Chem classes.

PE/Dance classes, have always been to me just a release, a class that you don't have to do anything for besides show up. You get to meet new people and have a lot of fun as well.

Online courses, I have taken a few, nothing really hard (a couple of introductory courses), but for general education requirements, when nothing else fits into your schedule they can be a good alternative.

I don't think my school has any supplementary classes like that, I've never heard of them anyway.

As for the other ones I still don't get why I would just randomly take a PE/Dance class, I mean I'm not looking for more credits to graduate or something if that's what you thought and I certainly don't want even more time being consumed by classes unless it would someone how for med schools.

Good luck

1. Are you getting A's?

As for the other ones I still don't get why I would just randomly take a PE/Dance class, I mean I'm not looking for more credits to graduate or something if that's what you thought and I certainly don't want even more time being consumed by classes unless it would someone how for med schools.

1. I average about half and half overall (A's and B's), some semesters more A's some more B's.

2. It's good, depending on what you mean by social life. If you mean out on the town, hitting up party after party every other night, then no my social life sucks. If you mean having fun and socializing with people whether that be, study groups, or just hanging out then it's excellent. Of course we do hit up a party every now and then.

Look everything in your college career doesn't have to be about medical school, college is as much about having fun as it is about learning. And whenever you are taking a heavy class load, sometimes just having a PE class to release your stress is good, or Dance to meet some lovely ladies ;) .

1. I average about half and half overall (A's and B's), some semesters more A's some more B's.

2. It's good, depending on what you mean by social life. If you mean out on the town, hitting up party after party every other night, then no my social life sucks. If you mean having fun and socializing with people whether that be, study groups, or just hanging out then it's excellent. Of course we do hit up a party every now and then.

Look everything in your college career doesn't have to be about medical school, college is as much about having fun as it is about learning. And whenever you are taking a heavy class load, sometimes just having a PE class to release your stress is good, or Dance to meet some lovely ladies ;) .

Well hopefully that's what the Health and Exercise science courses will be good for :D

So you're happy with A's and B's? A lot of people tell me undergrad is the time to learn things you want to learn about (which is why I just switched into the HES major actually) and whatnot. But I have to say, as much as it sucks studying all the time, I think the feeling of getting a test back and having it be an 85 or something would make me feel like **** most of the time because it's really hard for me to relax about a class if I'm not getting a fairly high A. Unless I've just accepted a B or something as being OK which is rarely the case.

As for the social life, I mean I do have lunch with people occasionally after class and sometimes a friend of mine will meet up with me at the gym...I just never really go "hang out" anymore or go do anything. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining a lot (I've pretty much accepted this situation and anything better is just a plus), I just wonder why this doesn't seem to be the case for a lot of people on here

So you're happy with A's and B's?

I'm happy with a "B" when it is a ridiculously hard class, like my genetics class this semester. I always strive for an "A" but I don't beat myself up over it if I don't end up with one.

I just wonder why this doesn't seem to be the case for a lot of people on here

Maybe you just haven't gotten deep enough into your major. Once you do, you end up in class with a lot of the same people, and you all get together a lot.

Good luck

1. Are you getting A's?

Maybe it's because I work slow, or because I make sure to workout 4x/week, or I'm on forums too much :)D, but really it's maybe an hour a day to keep me sane as a break from the work) but I don't understand how people can be taking some of these course loads and doing so well. A friend of mine is definitely a smart girl and very hard working and she's only taking orgo, ecology and genetics next semester because she thinks more would be too much. She also gets a lot less sleep than me I believe (I'm dead without ~7 hours). Sometimes I think I do too much for each class, but honestly I have about a 95 is almost all of my courses so if I did too much less and even dropped 2 points that would take the gpa given from a 4.0 to a 3.67 so I don't feel like I have much wiggle room.

David, I totally understand what you mean and I can see your frustration. Last sem, I took 17 hrs:
Genetics (3)
Genetics lab (2) <==by far the hardest class i've taken
Ochem I (4) , Ochem I lab (2)
Biological Statistics (3)
Human Disease and epidemiology (3)

and made straight A's but like you mentioned, I basically worked out and had little to no social life (mainly bc all my friends at my new school were applying to med school and like me they were studying alot, and all my friends at home were smoking, drinking, getting DWI's, etc.) I think over time, you find you're groove and learn how to manage a heavy course load. Frankly, I perform better when I feel I have my back against the wall, and this sem I'm taking 18 hrs and I have even more time to work out between classes or late at night once im done studying.

My coursework this sem looks like this to give you a better idea
-Microbiology (3)
-Organic II (3)
-Physics I (3)
-Economics (3)
-Physics Lab (1) and Organic II lab (2)
-Brain and Behavior (3)

and I pretty much have the 4.0 locked up :luck:, except i'm borderline in econ. So don't worry you'll get better as time goes on. Also, I should mention that I def don't get alot of sleep. Normally, I get between 5-6 hrs a night, but because organic lab and physics lab are SOOO long and time consuming, during test weeks I get about 3-4 hrs of sleep a night. This week I had 4 tests and I slept about 10 hrs in 3 days (2hrs, 3 hrs, 5 hrs.) :sleep: But I am totally fully functional with that much sleep, like 5 hrs of sleep fr me is more than enough (even though this is terrible for your health) again, just to give you an idea.

David, I totally understand what you mean and I can see your frustration. Last sem, I took 17 hrs:
Genetics (3)
Genetics lab (2) <==by far the hardest class i've taken
Ochem I (4) , Ochem I lab (2)
Biological Statistics (3)
Human Disease and epidemiology (3)

and made straight A's but like you mentioned, I basically worked out and had little to no social life (mainly bc all my friends at my new school were applying to med school and like me they were studying alot, and all my friends at home were smoking, drinking, getting DWI's, etc.) I think over time, you find you're groove and learn how to manage a heavy course load. Frankly, I perform better when I feel I have my back against the wall, and this sem I'm taking 18 hrs and I have even more time to work out between classes or late at night once im done studying.
What do you mean by "done studying"? :D...even right now I'm less busy than usual actually and was thinking hey I can go out this weekend, which I might, but theres always a lot more I could be getting done...I guess it's never really done though and it's just a matter of getting everything in.

You mentioned the thing about the frat above...is that just for pledging or for the entire time throughout the frat?

My coursework this sem looks like this to give you a better idea
-Microbiology (3)
-Organic II (3)
-Physics I (3)
-Economics (3)
-Physics Lab (1) and Organic II lab (2)
-Brain and Behavior (3)

and I pretty much have the 4.0 locked up :luck:, except i'm borderline in econ. So don't worry you'll get better as time goes on. Also, I should mention that I def don't get alot of sleep. Normally, I get between 5-6 hrs a night, but because organic lab and physics lab are SOOO long and time consuming, during test weeks I get about 3-4 hrs of sleep a night. This week I had 4 tests and I slept about 10 hrs in 3 days (2hrs, 3 hrs, 5 hrs.) :sleep: But I am totally fully functional with that much sleep, like 5 hrs of sleep fr me is more than enough (even though this is terrible for your health) again, just to give you an idea.

You gave me a little hope there, and then took it all away lol. First of all that's an impressive course load. But I am seriously dead with that much sleep. Right now I get 7 hours or so per day, generally 6.5-7.5 at night and a 30min. nap because I get incredibly tired by late afternoon and that helps. I guess I could (and at some point probably will have to) cut the sleep at night and just hope the nap keeps me going throughout the day but I just hate feeling so tired all the time. Are you still working out while getting this little sleep? I would imagine it would be much harder to make progress in the gym when your body has much less time to sleep/recover.

What do you mean by "done studying"? :D...even right now I'm less busy than usual actually and was thinking hey I can go out this weekend, which I might, but theres always a lot more I could be getting done...I guess it's never really done though and it's just a matter of getting everything in.

You mentioned the thing about the frat above...is that just for pledging or for the entire time throughout the frat?

You gave me a little hope there, and then took it all away lol. First of all that's an impressive course load. But I am seriously dead with that much sleep. Right now I get 7 hours or so per day, generally 6.5-7.5 at night and a 30min. nap because I get incredibly tired by late afternoon and that helps. I guess I could (and at some point probably will have to) cut the sleep at night and just hope the nap keeps me going throughout the day but I just hate feeling so tired all the time. Are you still working out while getting this little sleep? I would imagine it would be much harder to make progress in the gym when your body has much less time to sleep/recover.

No, this was when he was already a part of the frat, after pledgeship. The reality of it is that when you are a part of a frat, you have several obligations to abide that you have to uphold. You have to attend meetings, coordinate with "the brothers", plan events, recruit and all the other frat boy stuff my friends all talk about. Pledging is even worse on top of that b/c during pledge ship is when you are the frats ultimate BI***, so again, you can see why grades will drop. Most of the people I have met that were pre med and then joined frats ended up dropping pre-med and switching majors.

Also, I try to workout 3-4 times a week for 1.5 hrs. I can never work out for an hour because I need to stretch and warm up with cardio before I lift. Again, this changes from time to time during crazy tests weeks but I try to abide by it. I used to be a personal trainer, I got certified my NASM so I make very efficient workout programs, and I know how to lift right and eat properly to keep my gains. I design my own workouts, and most of the time I am circuit training so its like i'm doing cardio while I am lifting. this works best.

Last edited:
And David, I always feel tired by mid afternoon. the Mid afternoon ( between 1-4 pm is when most people feel this huge crash, and between 3-5 am). I read this in one of my courses, and it was on a med school lecture about sleep. What I always do is when i come home at 4 after a full day of classes, I take an hr nap and I am fully energized. Then, I will study till about 10:30-11 pm and then go to the gym, or if I have tests I stay up until I am "finished studying" By finished studying, I mean that I have covered and read the material thoroughly and have a good understanding of it, to the point where I could explain or teach it to someone else. It's until I feel reasonably conformable that I will get an A, and sometimes that doesn't happen on weeks where I have 4-5 tests but you can't beat yourself up over that.

No, this was when he was already a part of the frat, after pledgeship. The reality of it is that when you are a part of a frat, you have several obligations to abide that you have to uphold. You have to attend meetings, coordinate with "the brothers", plan events, recruit and all the other frat boy stuff my friends all talk about. Pledging is even worse on top of that b/c during pledge ship is when you are the frats ultimate BI***, so again, you can see why grades will drop. Most of the people I have met that were pre med and then joined frats ended up dropping pre-med and switching majors.

Well dropping pre-med is not an option and definitely not worth it to be in a frat, I just had no idea it was that time consuming. I know during pledging it would be but I thought things became somewhat normal afterwards. This is kind of important to because if I'm not joining one then I would probably take the money (another downside) and take calculus over the summer and stick with my physics course next semester. I'd really rather not do that but it's definitely a consideration. Maybe this deserves it's own thread to get more input...I really can't make a decision based on experience obviously.

Members don't see this ad :)
And David, I always feel tired by mid afternoon. the Mid afternoon ( between 1-4 pm is when most people feel this huge crash, and between 3-5 am). I read this in one of my courses, and it was on a med school lecture about sleep. What I always do is when i come home at 4 after a full day of classes, I take an hr nap and I am fully energized. Then, I will study till about 10:30-11 pm and then go to the gym, or if I have tests I stay up until I am "finished studying" By finished studying, I mean that I have covered and read the material thoroughly and have a good understanding of it, to the point where I could explain or teach it to someone else. It's until I feel reasonably conformable that I will get an A, and sometimes that doesn't happen on weeks where I have 4-5 tests but you can't beat yourself up over that.

Yea as mentioned I really feel the nap is a huge help. I just woke up from one half an hour ago and it seriously makes all the difference in the world. I notice the main difference between 6 hours of sleep at night, compared to say 8 hours, is that I get tired earlier in the day than I otherwise would have. But after the nap I can only think of one time that I wasn't really awake afterwards.

So when you said ~5 hours per day that's basically 4 hours at night and 1 during the afternoon? Definitely healthy :D

Organic I w/ Lab (4 credits)
Physics I (3 credits)
Working Class Lit (3)
Soviet Russia (3)
Either Human Physiology or Neuroscience (3)
Independent Research (2)

I'm noticing a lot of people have more or less credits for classes and extra credits for labs, is this how most schools work? At my school every course (except for maybe internships) is 1 unit which counts as 4 credits, regardless of if it's hard/easy or has a lab. It looks like some of you are taking sciences without labs (like physics mentioned above), not taking the lab isn't even an option for our classes.

Organic I w/ lab (4 credits)
Physics I w/ lab (4 credits)
A & P I w/ lab (4 credits)
History II (3 credits)

Along with the normal volunteering, shadowing, teaching a lab, and tutoring... Oh the joys of pre-medicine. XD Haha.

I shall be taking:

Biochemistry I
Physiology I
Immunology
Issues in Biomedical Sciences
Intro to Archaeology and Physical Anthropology

Good luck

1. Are you getting A's?

1. Yes
2. I go out on the weekends usually, live with my girlfriend, work 20 hours a week and volunteer about 8-10 hours, play some sports, work out and do research a few hours a week. It's all about time management.

Organic I w/ lab (4 credits)
Physics I w/ lab (4 credits)
A & P I w/ lab (4 credits)
History II (3 credits)

Along with the normal volunteering, shadowing, teaching a lab, and tutoring... Oh the joys of pre-medicine. XD Haha.

Any particular reason you deferred taking orgo until your junior year? I thought most people took it sophomore year

1. Yes
2. I go out on the weekends usually, live with my girlfriend, work 20 hours a week and volunteer about 8-10 hours, play some sports, work out and do research a few hours a week. It's all about time management.

Wow I am seriously impressed. How do you do that while getting A's in ~4 courses/semester?? What does a typical weekday and weekend day look like for you? How much sleep do you get per night roughly?

- Bio 2 + Lab
- OChem 1
- Intro to Psych
- Medical Terminology

Overall, not a terrible semester.

Any particular reason you deferred taking orgo until your junior year? I thought most people took it sophomore year

Wow I am seriously impressed. How do you do that while getting A's in ~4 courses/semester?? What does a typical weekday and weekend day look like for you? How much sleep do you get per night roughly?

I work nights typically from 5-11 tutoring and get most of my work done during that time. I'm usually at class from 8-1 and then have free time to either read or volunteer before work. I will get between 5-7 hours of sleep each night (coffee, get into it). School is not that hard, if you want the grades you'll get them. Just work harder than everyone else.

I take Saturdays off to relax and do absolutely nothing. It's nice to be able to relax at least one day.

I work nights typically from 5-11 tutoring and get most of my work done during that time. I'm usually at class from 8-1 and then have free time to either read or volunteer before work. I will get between 5-7 hours of sleep each night (coffee, get into it). School is not that hard, if you want the grades you'll get them. Just work harder than everyone else.

I take Saturdays off to relax and do absolutely nothing. It's nice to be able to relax at least one day.

Well I do want the grades and I get them...by working harder than everyone else. But it is hard, for me anyway.

I find it amazing that you can work 20 hours/week, do research, volunteer 8-10 hours per week (and whatever transportation that involves), workout/play sports and take all of saturday off while getting all A's in orgo with lab, ecology, microbiology with lab, calculus and micro.

I feel like I lose so much time to random things. Like walking back and forth from the dining hall, shower, fire drills (4 today!), and all these other random things. But even with that I don't see how I could possibly do all you're doing while maintaining A's

As for coffee, I've never noticed much of an effect and even those who do generally become dependent on it anyway from what I understand until your basically where you started but now need coffee. A 30min nap or so really helps me a lot though.

Orgo I (honors)
Intro Bio (honors)
American society (honors)
History of technology (honors)
Basketball I

=14 credits

Not too hard, right?

Biology II
Organic Chemistry I
Microeconomics
Anthropology

Biochemistry w/ no lab -- 3 credits
Anatomy & Physiology w/ lab -- 4 credits
Microbiology w/ lab & writing lab -- 5 credits
Random Liberal Arts Course -- 3 credits

Do you think this will be okay?

Plus research, four hours of volunteering, and a sorority.

Last edited:
Biochemistry w/ no lab -- 3 credits
Anatomy & Physiology w/ lab -- 4 credits
Microbiology w/ lab & writing lab -- 5 credits
Random Liberal Arts Course -- 3 credits

Do you think this will be okay?

Plus research, four hours of volunteering, and a sorority.

Will you just be joining or have you been in the sorority? If you've been in it, how has it been from a time commitment standpoint?

Depends on what I decide to major in.

Biochem: o-chem I, quant analysis, physics II.
Physics: o-chem I, calc III, physics II.

edit: How do other schools have 2 credit labs? Quant analysis is only 4 credits. Lecture is 50 minutes, 3 times a week. Lab is 4 hours, once a week.

Will you just be joining or have you been in the sorority? If you've been in it, how has it been from a time commitment standpoint?

I will be joining the sorority in August. I will have all those new member meetings, but it will be fun. It will, however, be time consuming. Pi Beta Phi. : )

Senior year will be much fun! This last year I took all of my general education classes and I have been bored to death.
Fall 2010:
Inorganic Chemistry
Instrumental Analysis + Lab
Physical Chemistry + Lab
Intermediate Tennis

Senior year will be much fun! This last year I took all of my general education classes and I have been bored to death.
Fall 2010:
Inorganic Chemistry
Instrumental Analysis + Lab
Physical Chemistry + Lab
Intermediate Tennis

That's a lot of chemistry!
How are you going to manage not going crazy from all the chemistry?

Embryology + Lab (4)
O-Chem I + Lab (4)
US and Wyo Gov (3)
Native American Lit (3)
Classic Greek Civilization (3)

Immunology (3+1)
Seminar on Telomerase (1)
Biophysics (3)
Science Fiction (3)
Cell Biology Lab (1)
possibly Ecology (3)

Orgo I (3 hrs. retaking)
Physiology (4 hrs)
Medical Sociology (3hrs)
Nutritional Science (3hrs)
T.A. for Anatomy (1 hr)

Eh, maybe I should try to remain more anonymous.

Last edited:
I will be joining the sorority in August. I will have all those new member meetings, but it will be fun. It will, however, be time consuming. Pi Beta Phi. : )

Do you have any friends who have done something similar? I think it will be fun, I mean that's the point lol but I'm definitely worried about pledging on top of everything else. And your semester looks pretty tough

Pledging a Frat = goodbye medical school...especially if its a crazy frat at some SEC or big time football school. I find it EXTREMELY difficult to be able to do that and still do well in school, and know of only 1 person who was successful in doing this, and by the way he was a genius and extremely well balanced. Even after, he told me that he couldn't believe he did it and he would have prob received more interviews if he wasn't so consumed w the frat. just something to think about....Not to mention you are going to be working

That's utterly ridiculous. You can definitely join a frat and get good grades. My friend at Duke joined a frat and maintained his 4.0.

My schedule is still up in the air; trying to see if a professor will let me into a class. But hopefully I'm taking Orgo I, Bio I, a lit class, comparative politics, and a philosophy class.

That's utterly ridiculous. You can definitely join a frat and get good grades. My friend at Duke joined a frat and maintained his 4.0.

Good to know, any other insight into how it is for pre-meds in frats? I guess I'll have a little time next semester before making the actual decision but I like to be as informed as possible.

Seminar on Telomerase (1)

I am so jealous - I would love to take that class.

For me:

Orgo I (w/ lab)
Molecular Bio & Genetics (w/ lab)
Seminar on Psychology of Trauma
Research Methods w/ lab
2 credits of independent study/research with psych faculty

Cognition (Upper Division)
Physiological Psychology
History of Psychology
Business Law
Independent Study (Cognitive Aging Lab - We study memory processes and false memories in healthy adults.)

Also, I might get to SI for Intro Psychology or Intro Cognitive. Should be a fun and productive semester.

Calculus 16A - 3 units
Chemistry 2A - 2A Laboratory - 5 units
Freshman Seminar - 1 or 2 unit(s)
GE Course

not true at all, just cuz you have 0 time management skills doesn't mean others can't do it...I had 4.0 when I pledged and know plenty of greeks in med school

and FWIW my class schedule is

Medical Terminology
International Law
Neurobiology
Quantitative Chem w/ Lab
Animal Anatomy and Physiology w/ Lab

Grad. Inorganic Chem
Grad. Organic Spectroscopy
Independent Study (Senior Thesis)
Grad. Organic Synthesis
Adv. Biochem
TA'ing for a lab and discussion section