Fall 2010 Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoftyIdealist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, at this time, everybody should have already registered for classes or should be registering for classes soon. What courses are you taking (or planning on taking, if you haven't registered yet) for the upcoming semester?

Currently, my schedule is as follows:

I also want to add another class, but don't know what. I want to take General Physics III as well but cannot due to time conflicts. Anyone else having time conflicts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your school weighs lab as 2 credits?
I can't register for classes yet since i'm transferring, so i'll get the last pick of classes in august, lucky me!

Yeah. There are labs that are worth 2 credits, most likely due to the longer amount of time in the labs and the larger amount of work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking

General Chem II w/ lab= 5 units
Physics I w/ lab= 4 units
Human Paleontology= 3 units
Advanced Topics in Linguistic Anthropology= 3 units

So, at this time, everybody should have already registered for classes or should be registering for classes soon. What courses are you taking (or planning on taking, if you haven't registered yet) for the upcoming semester?

Currently, my schedule is as follows:

Upper Division Biology of Microorganisms w/ Lab (3+2)
Organic Chemistry I w/ Lab (3+2)
Upper Division Human Anatomy & Physiology w/ Lab (4+1)
World Religions (3)

I also want to add another class, but don't know what. I want to take General Physics III as well but cannot due to time conflicts. Anyone else having time conflicts?

3 labs = dangerous. Without a doubt you'll be working your ass off. So basically 3 major memorization classes with 4 hour labs each + a subject which is going to involve tons of writing. I'm going to have to say.. that it's going to be hard, I personally aim for 2 labs or less a semester.

Next semester i'm taking...
O-chem 5, cell biology 4, statistic's of psychology or biological basis of behavior 3, litt 3. < pleased to say that i'll be taking only 1 lab a semester now, however i'll be doing 1 lab till I grad XD.

Last edited:
Just messing with you ;)
If you like the classes you should have no problem. :thumbup:
I'm taking 16 credits in summer, so :scared:
and can't register for fall courses yet
.... Crazy?
I'm taking 7 credits haha.. I was thinking about doing another classes the first semester with abnormal psychology. If only art history was available right after or before.

.... Crazy?
I'm taking 7 credits haha.. I was thinking about doing another classes the first semester with abnormal psychology. If only art history was available right after or before.
Abnormal psych should be fun, i always wanted to take that class.
What are you taking in the summer?

Abnormal psych should be fun, i always wanted to take that class.
What are you taking in the summer?

Abnormal and biology 2 ( ecology and evolution). It's my little attempt to keep me busy during the summer :laugh:. I think i'll take physics next year over the summer =-p.
Abnormal is probably going to be fun since there a lot of interesting mental disorders and there effects on behavior. < I wonder if I can write it off as a neuroscience course and get it BCPM >

Abnormal and biology 2 ( ecology and evolution). It's my little attempt to keep me busy during the summer :laugh:. I think i'll take physics next year over the summer =-p.
Abnormal is probably going to be fun since there a lot of interesting mental disorders and there effects on behavior. < I wonder if I can write it off as a neuroscience course and get it BCPM >
Oh true i remember you mentioned contemplating taking physics in the summer, i'd much rather get rid of it ASAP! :D
I took Learning and Memory a year ago, which i probably can't write off as a neuroscience course.. or can i? :confused:

Oh true i remember you mentioned contemplating taking physics in the summer, i'd much rather get rid of it ASAP! :D
I took Learning and Memory a year ago, which i probably can't write off as a neuroscience course.. or can i? :confused:

I'd say you should try. Memory is a extremely biological basis. So I'd totally write off as BCPM. It's one of the advantages we psychology majors have, we have classes which are fun and easily writen off as BCPM if the course description even says the word biology or neuroscience in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My schedule is still up in the air at this point...but I'm taking:

Physics I w/ lab- 4 hours
Statistical Principles of Psychology- 3 hours
Trombone Studio- 1 or 2 hours
Core Ensembles (ie Band or Orchestra)- 1 hour

And then this is where my schedule starts to get hairy...these are classes that I'm looking at taking, but I'm not sure I'll take yet (and I know for sure that I'll have to narrow these down at some point)....
Cognitive Neuroscience- 3 hours
Evolution of Vertebrate Life w/ lab- 3 hours
Independent Research in Psychology- 1-3 hours
Music Appreciation- 3 hours

I'd say you should try. Memory is a extremely biological basis. So I'd totally write off as BCPM. It's one of the advantages we psychology majors have, we have classes which are fun and easily writen off as BCPM if the course description even says the word biology or neuroscience in it.

Yepyep. :D

Maybe, but don't count on it, at least the way my class was taught. There was some biology in it...but I'd say that only about 25%-33% of it is biological.

Last edited:
I am taking:

Biochemistry (4)
Microbiology w/ Lab (3+2)
Physics II w/ Lab (4+1)

For a total of 14 credits. A little low on the credit hours but I think the difficulty alone will surely make up for that. Thoughts?

I will be taking:

Physics with Lab (4)
Gen Chem with Lab - retaking (4)
Cell Biology and Genetics (3)
Upper Level German (3)
Linguistics - damn humanities requirement :D (3)

I will also be running for a position in my frat and will volunteer at a hospital. Shouldn't be too bad with right time management.

I loved that class! I have taken 3 psychology classes so far, but i'm not a psychology major :oops:
I'm going to try to write it off like you said though

I'm taking:

Orgo 1 w/ lab (4)
Medical Microbio w/ lab (4)
Calc 2 (3)
Statistics (3)
Economics (3)

Total: 17 credits

Last edited:
Org Chem -4hrs
Phys II - 4hrs
Stats - 3hrs
TA job - 2hrs
TA job - 1hr
~~~~
14 hrs

After that it is all smooth sailing to the MCAT... :sleep:

Organic Chemistry 1 lab- 2 hours
Organic Chem 2 lecture- 3 hours
Virology Lecture- 3 hours
Intro to Med Clinic & Pathology- 3 hours
Brain and Behavior - 3 hours
Microbiology Lab- 2 hours

This will be fun!

This will be fun!
So your taking the lab for organic 2 next semester?:confused: why

I'm taking:

Gen Chem II w/ lab (4+1)
Bio II w/ lab (4+1)
Algebra and Trigonometry (4)
Intermediate Spanish I (3)

I hope to enjoy mine
Microbiology (3+1)
Immunology (3+1)
Neurobiology (3)
Traditions of Western Humanities (4)

first time ive taken less than 18 lol and its classes im interested in, cant be as bad as this semester either lol
Biochem(3),Parasitology(4), Diversity of Plants (3), Advance Genetics(3), Physics II(4), and French IV (3) lol suprisingly plants is nearly as hard as biochem lol

ill bite:

(three credits each)
-Criminology
-Greek Civilization
-African American History
-African History
-The Enlightenment

O.chem
Calc II
Bio-Micro
Bio-Anatomy
Stats

Worried about the bios.

+1 What year are you? Is there any way you can move one of your lab classes to a future semester and save yourself some major headache?

I'm taking:

Independent Work
Biochemistry
Artificial Intelligence
Differential Equations
Computational Reasoning

My next semester is going to be awesome. :D

Artifical Intelligence sounds really kewl!!!!

I'm taking Organic Chemistry 1 with lab
Biology I with Lab
Physiological Modeling (upper div.)
Modern Physics (upper div.)
Writing Theory (upper div.)

SO looking forward to my engineering and physics classes....

I'm taking::
Organic Chem 1 w/ Lab
Biology I w/ Lab
Differential Equations
Intermediate Spanish II

17 Credits:

Physics I (4)
Microbiology (4)
Microscopy (4)
Honors Research (2)
English Literature: Beowulf (3)

Physics 1 + Lab
Biochemistry ( + Lab maybe) - do we need lab for med school?
Neurobiology + Lab
Anatomy n Phys.

:)

Organic Chem I w/lab
Physics I w/lab
General Virology
Histology

Last edited:
So your taking the lab for organic 2 next semester?:confused: why

Because I am taking organic 1 and microbiology right now. I need to catch up on those labs before I take another one. I don't see what the big deal is. It shouldn't be bad at all.

Because I am taking organic 1 and microbiology right now. I need to catch up on those labs before I take another one. I don't see what the big deal is. It shouldn't be bad at all.
You wrote that your taking Organic chemistry 2 lecture and organic chemistry 1 lab :p

You wrote that your taking Organic chemistry 2 lecture and organic chemistry 1 lab :p

There are some schools where this is how things typically work.

yeah, there's nothing weird about that. At my school students have to finish the lecture before going onto the lab course.

As for my fall schedule.... I need to decide between two majors first :scared::scared:

yeah, there's nothing weird about that. At my school students have to finish the lecture before going onto the lab course.

As for my fall schedule.... I need to decide between two majors first :scared::scared:
Oh i see..
What majors you deciding between? :)

This will be fun!

^I take it that you go to the University of Texas at San Antonio?? Seems reasonable, especially with the Brain and Behavior and Intro to Clinical Med, both are practically blowoff's but the MICRO LAB....quite possibly the hardest lab at our school, both in content and it is very time consuming. :scared: My friend is in virology this sem, also a VERY difficult class. goodluck!

Second Year Arabic II (3 credits. Taking a year off of Arabic may make this a little difficult)
Medical Molecular Genetics(3 credits. Excited for this)
Medical Microbiology(3 credits. Excited for this)
Ecology(3 credits. major requirement...)
Medical Ethics(3 credits. supposed to be interesting and a joke)
Confronting Social Issues(3 credits. No class time, have to write a giant paper based on volunteering over the summer)

18 credits, no class Tuesday or Thursday. Can't believe I'll be a senior...

Organic Chem (4)
Cell and Molecular Bio (4)
Physics I (4)
Literary Workshop (4) (hopefully - I have to be accepted)
some... course to fulfill my cultural diversity req. (3)
Independent Research (1)

The last two pending on whether or not I get into this workshop. Three labs. I'm inviting death upon myself, I know.

I'm Taking:

Classes that are "important";

General Microbiology (3) + 2 for lab
Organic Chemistry I (3)
Physics for Life Sciences I (Algebra based) (3) + 1 for lab

GPA boosting classes;

Introduction to World Cultures(3)
Organic Chemistry Supplemental Instruction I (1)
Pre-Med/Pre-Health Orientation (1)
University Experience for Future Careers (1)

Last edited:
My college just imposed a 14 unit cap so now im forced to drop down to 12 units based on how my schedule works out. I am pissed! Never taken less than 16 in my life! I'm worried about how med schools will view this since my transcript isn't going to read "12 unit cap this semester" lol

I'll throw my schedule in here.

Advanced Cellular Biology - 3 hours
Themes in Literature ("World of Tolkien") - 3 hours
Intro to Sports Psychology - 3 hours
Immunology - 3 hours
Pop Culture and American Politics - 3 hours

Finished a lot of my major courses, so I'm doing some distribution requirements and elective. Also, Vandy doesn't take my AP English credit so I'm taking Tolkien for that. A sports medicine internship and doing secondaries/interviews will keep me busy outside of that.

Diff. Eq. (4)
Intro. to Bio w/ lab (4)
Orgo I w/lab (4)
Materials Science w/lab (4)
Matlab for Engineers (1)

I will be taking:

Physics with Lab (4)
Gen Chem with Lab - retaking (4)
Cell Biology and Genetics (3)
Upper Level German (3)
Linguistics - damn humanities requirement :D (3)

I will also be running for a position in my frat and will volunteer at a hospital. Shouldn't be too bad with right time management.

Damn...I'm really starting to wonder about my schedule.

Currently I'm signed up for

Organic chem 1 + Lab (4 credits)
Physics 1 +Lab (4 credits)
Calculus A (4 credits)
Health and Wellness Issues (4 credits)

But the physics is only a temporary place holder and it will actually be ..

Foundations of Health and Exercise Science(4 credits)
Calculus A (4 credits)

The reason I wanted to take it a little easier is because right now I seem to have absolutely no time for socializing with pre-calc ( :( ), spanish, biology, chemistry and psychology so I figured the orgo, physics, calc and HES course would take up a similar amount of time, plus I'm trying to get a tutoring job AND pledge a frat which I've heard is really time consuming.

Any opinions? After seeing some of the plans on here I'm worried I'm going to look like I'm slacking. On the other hand I don't know how I could maintain straight A's while taking physics, calc, orgo and HES while pledging a frat and possibly having a job.

bio I + lab (5)
cognitive neuroscience (3)
development of social behavior (3)
biopsych (3)

14 credits, hollaaa

Calculus A (4 credits)

Look its up to you to decide whether you are slaking. Do not feel inclined to take more classes then you feel comfortable taking. Medical Schools care about GPA and how well you do in classes, not how fast you can get all of them done.

Look its up to you to decide whether you are slaking. Do not feel inclined to take more classes then you feel comfortable taking. Medical Schools care about GPA and how well you do in classes, not how fast you can get all of them done.

I suppose, I mean I know I'm still going to be busy with everything....but I'm just thinking if they compare how rigorous my course load is to someone like some of the ones I've seen in here I won't come out looking too hot.

I suppose, I mean I know I'm still going to be busy with everything....but I'm just thinking if they compare how rigorous my course load is to someone like some of the ones I've seen in here I won't come out looking too hot.

Well if you keep having the feeling that it will hurt you, maybe pick up an online course in something, or maybe a PE/Dance class. I don't know how large your university is but you could also look into supplementary instruction courses.

Damn...I'm really starting to wonder about my schedule.

Currently I'm signed up for

Physics 1 +Lab (4 credits)
Calculus A (4 credits)

But the physics is only a temporary place holder and it will actually be ..

Calculus A (4 credits)

The reason I wanted to take it a little easier is because right now I seem to have absolutely no time for socializing with pre-calc ( :( ), spanish, biology, chemistry and psychology so I figured the orgo, physics, calc and HES course would take up a similar amount of time, plus I'm trying to get a tutoring job AND pledge a frat which I've heard is really time consuming.

Any opinions? After seeing some of the plans on here I'm worried I'm going to look like I'm slacking. On the other hand I don't know how I could maintain straight A's while taking physics, calc, orgo and HES while pledging a frat and possibly having a job.

Pledging a Frat = goodbye medical school...especially if its a crazy frat at some SEC or big time football school. I find it EXTREMELY difficult to be able to do that and still do well in school, and know of only 1 person who was successful in doing this, and by the way he was a genius and extremely well balanced. Even after, he told me that he couldn't believe he did it and he would have prob received more interviews if he wasn't so consumed w the frat. just something to think about....Not to mention you are going to be working

^also, not necessarily true because medical school wants to know that you will be able to handle a heavy load and still do well. One resident told me that the best thing you could do for yourself is take a heavy load, and do well...and i quote " they love that sh**"So while its more important to take 12-14 hrs if you must inorder to get A's, its DEF a plus if you can take 18-21 and maintain the same grades.

And also, even though they encourage diversity in their students with regard to the major's they chose, it is CRUCIAL that you take some upper div science courses if your not a Bio major (maybe cell bio, molecular, immunology, etc.) <== Dean of Admissions UTHSCSA mentioned this, and frnakly it makes sense bc alot of the classes you take in med school will be similar to these kinds of courses.