Fall 2011 Application progress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kissfist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all the kids applying for fall 2011, I'm curious where people are at with the application process. Starting to really see how much work this whole affair is and am a bit nervous. I'm in full time classes and am applying to 6 schools so probably should working a little harder.

Advice on the process from admitted students may also be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I plan to apply to 5 schools and I have yet to take the GRE. Taking that in a few weeks. I have people lined up willing to write letters, but am still sorting about where to apply. Coming from a non-CSD background I'm looking for schools that don't require me to take a ton of pre-req courses....

I'm not going to lie, I am already feeling the pressure that's for sure!

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to apply to 5 schools and I have yet to take the GRE. Taking that in a few weeks.

WOW! :eek: Did you just recently decide to go to graduate school? I can't believe how many people haven't taken the GRE yet. I took mine back in May so I wouldn't have to worry about it!

I even started my statement of purpose around the same time, so that's finished, except the one paragraph I'm customizing for each school.

I'm applying to 5 schools, but have my heart set on one of them. I've got 2 of my 3 references finished and may have to hound the last guy because he's a former professor and historically awful at returning emails and phone calls. I've actually considered making an appointment for an audiogram so I can corner him! :laugh:

All in all, I'm not feeling too stressed about it, which is great because I'm adept at stressing about everything else in my life. :scared:

WOW! :eek: I can't believe how many people haven't taken the GRE yet.

I was just talking to three girls who were studying for the GRE and they're applying for the Fall 2011 and they're still trying to finish their Statement of Purpose!!! I can't imagine trying to study for the GRE, write the letters, filling out applications on top of my classes and work. That's just insane.

I even started my statement of purpose around the same time, so that's finished, except the one paragraph I'm customizing for each school.

I plan to do something similar, but I'm studying for the GRE during the summer so I can take advantage of the 50% discount for taking the revised exam in August/September. :D

And it's for certain that I'll be working on that statement letter during the summer break, as well. All I want left is enough time to ask for those Letter of Reqs and get them back a.s.a.p.

I'm applying to eight schools. I have finished the personal statements for three of the schools and will be writing the remaining five in the next couple of weeks. Due to differences in prompts and length I didn't see much point in writing a general statement and tailoring. Instead each statement is expressely made for that school. Got all my profs lined up and they will be submitting their letters in early December. That is crazy to take the GRE now though. I took mine in July and got it out of the way. Pretty easy process with planning. Now it's just making sure all the materials have arrived at their destination.

I'm applying to 6 schools and I have the application process for all 6 figured out but haven't made it very far through the actual work. I finished my GRE but need to have the score sent to 2 of the schools & have my letters lined up. I'm still in classes so I can't really send my transcripts until the last minute. Personal statement inspiration is still evading me though. Le sigh.

I believe I took my GRE the October prior to my first semester in grad school, so close to a year. How much are you guys dishing out in application fees? I only applied to one AuD program, although I did apply for three SLP grad programs for backup.

Le sigh.

It is quite an expensive process. Each school's application fee is $50-75 & it costs $23 to send GRE scores (the first four are free if you put them down at the time of the test). I have two undergrad schools and those transcripts cost $3 & $9 respectively and some schools want two copies of both. It could be worse but I'm definitely limiting my applications to keep the process from getting out of hand.

Hi there! So far, I am planning to apply to 5 schools, but might add to that list. I'm curious where others are applying? I'm thinking NC, Vanderbilt, Washington, Washington University, and Wisconsin-Madison. Thoughts? I've taken the GRE and have my basic personal statement ready...am working on visits now.

Le sigh.

It is quite an expensive process. Each school's application fee is $50-75 & it costs $23 to send GRE scores (the first four are free if you put them down at the time of the test). I have two undergrad schools and those transcripts cost $3 & $9 respectively and some schools want two copies of both. It could be worse but I'm definitely limiting my applications to keep the process from getting out of hand.
Wowzers.. It's a tough, but necessary experience. My meals during that time frame were pretty much exclusive to tuna and ramen noodles without the seasoning. Occasionally, I would haul a garbage bag to my mother's house and go "grocery shopping".

Last edited:
Hi there! So far, I am planning to apply to 5 schools, but might add to that list. I'm curious where others are applying? I'm thinking NC, Vanderbilt, Washington, Washington University, and Wisconsin-Madison. Thoughts? I've taken the GRE and have my basic personal statement ready...am working on visits now.
AuDhopeful, I'm pretty sure we have some Washington students on this forum. Not sure about Vandy or Chapel Hill.. Assuming you get into more than one, what is your choosing criteria? I imagine your marks are competitive enough judging by the schools you picked..

And welcome to the forum :) .. I hope you will hang around for a while..

I go to UW Seattle, I'm not sure if that's the Washington you're talking about, but if so, I'd be happy to chat about it. I really think its a strong program and the faculty here are pretty swell. I'm applying there but its pretty steep for out of state students, like myself, and pretty competitive for admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
AuDhopeful, I'm pretty sure we have some Washington students on this forum. Not sure about Vandy or Chapel Hill.. Assuming you get into more than one, what is your choosing criteria? I imagine your marks are competitive enough judging by the schools you picked..

And welcome to the forum :) .. I hope you will hang around for a while..

Thanks! I'd love to hear more from current students at any of these programs...and any others who are happy where they are. I am actually in the process of trying to talk to some current AuD students at these schools now. I've heard not so great things from friends who went to some other programs and have learned a lot from their experiences. The visits already seem to tell a lot...at some they have been very welcoming and helpful, but others have just had a student there basically saying "here's the program" and "see ya later". I think there are lots of strong programs out there, so I'm hoping to find (and get into) one with lots of clinical sites/opportunities (not relying primarily on their own clinic) and research opportunities...and one that's friendly. :)

Looking forward to the next few exciting, anxious months with all of you!

Thanks! I'd love to hear more from current students at any of these programs...and any others who are happy where they are. I am actually in the process of trying to talk to some current AuD students at these schools now. I've heard not so great things from friends who went to some other programs and have learned a lot from their experiences. The visits already seem to tell a lot...at some they have been very welcoming and helpful, but others have just had a student there basically saying "here's the program" and "see ya later". I think there are lots of strong programs out there, so I'm hoping to find (and get into) one with lots of clinical sites/opportunities (not relying primarily on their own clinic) and research opportunities...and one that's friendly. :)

Looking forward to the next few exciting, anxious months with all of you!

Hello!! I am currently at the University at Arizona. I know it isnt one of the places you mentioned but if you are interested, I think UA has a very strong program with great clinical and research faculty. If you want to know more feel free to let me know.

Hey there AuDhopeful! I am applying to 6 schools.. SDSU, AT Still, Nova Southeastern, University of Florida, Gallaudet, Syracuse. I think you have a great list of schools! I'm curious you have said you were going to visit. Did you go visit all of them? Did visiting change your mind in applying to any of those choices? Thanks, and best of luck to you:xf:

I'm applying to 5 schools, but have my heart set on one of them. I've got 2 of my 3 references finished and may have to hound the last guy because he's a former professor and historically awful at returning emails and phone calls. I've actually considered making an appointment for an audiogram so I can corner him! :laugh:

Hey rEliseMe! I am having a tough time with one recommender as well (she's also a former professor)... :( Have you finally heard back from him? The most frustrating thing is getting a yes from someone, you get them the materials, and then don't hear back from them. I'm going to try to find someone else...

I am having a tough time with one recommender as well (she's also a former professor)... :( Have you finally heard back from him? The most frustrating thing is getting a yes from someone, you get them the materials, and then don't hear back from them. I'm going to try to find someone else...

Yes, I finally made an appointment with him for an audiogram so he'd have no choice but to talk to me. Turns out it was a big misunderstanding! He gave the materials to someone who still works at the university to pass along to me and she never did. He said he'd go get them from her and mail them to me like I intended, but we'll see. At least his attitude about it was much more positive than I expected! Good luck with yours... do you have the opportunity to go talk to her face-to-face?

Yes, I finally made an appointment with him for an audiogram so he'd have no choice but to talk to me. Turns out it was a big misunderstanding! He gave the materials to someone who still works at the university to pass along to me and she never did. He said he'd go get them from her and mail them to me like I intended, but we'll see. At least his attitude about it was much more positive than I expected! Good luck with yours... do you have the opportunity to go talk to her face-to-face?

I'm glad it is working out for you! No, there is no way to really reach her besides email, so I've decided to move on because deadlines are approaching quick. I'm more confident about being able to find someone to complete them than I was yesterday. The anxiety is overwhelming!

I agree. I think I've decided to give up on one of my schools because the deadline is so inconvenient! Good luck with your letters. :)

I'm glad it is working out for you! No, there is no way to really reach her besides email, so I've decided to move on because deadlines are approaching quick. I'm more confident about being able to find someone to complete them than I was yesterday. The anxiety is overwhelming!

I plan to apply to 5 schools and I have yet to take the GRE. Taking that in a few weeks. I have people lined up willing to write letters, but am still sorting about where to apply. Coming from a non-CSD background I'm looking for schools that don't require me to take a ton of pre-req courses....

I'm not going to lie, I am already feeling the pressure that's for sure!

Bob -

I am in year 1 at ATSU in Arizona. I am a psychology major, so far from the CSD major that usually ends up in audiology. I had to take my two Biology classes to get in here, and that was about it!

ATSU is great! I have been connected with the school for 4 years now. If you can, come see the school and check us out. I'll be glad to show you around. Any other questions, I'm here...

Hope this helps.

Hey there AuDhopeful! I am applying to 6 schools.. SDSU, AT Still, Nova Southeastern, University of Florida, Gallaudet, Syracuse. I think you have a great list of schools! I'm curious you have said you were going to visit. Did you go visit all of them? Did visiting change your mind in applying to any of those choices? Thanks, and best of luck to you:xf:

Hey there! Sorry for the delayed response. I was so busy with the end of semester and then have been finishing up my apps and enjoying some down time. :) You have a great list of schools, too! Have you visited Florida? That's another program I've been considering, but I'll need to hustle to get everything in by 2/1!

To answer your question, I have visited Wash U, U of WA, Vandy, NC, Iowa, KU, and Purdue. A few dropped of my list after I visited and a couple moved up the ranks and I added a few to the list that I haven't visited. Aggg - so stressed about this whole process!

Good luck!

Hey there! Sorry for the delayed response. I was so busy with the end of semester and then have been finishing up my apps and enjoying some down time. :) You have a great list of schools, too! Have you visited Florida? That's another program I've been considering, but I'll need to hustle to get everything in by 2/1!

To answer your question, I have visited Wash U, U of WA, Vandy, NC, Iowa, KU, and Purdue. A few dropped of my list after I visited and a couple moved up the ranks and I added a few to the list that I haven't visited. Aggg - so stressed about this whole process!

Good luck!

Wow! That's great you were able to visit all those schools. I was only able to visit SDSU which is the closest to me. I hope I still get offers from schools even though I wasn't able to visit them. All my applications are in and now I'm just anxiously waiting! :eek:

Finished! I have successfully applied to 5 Aud. programs and only have to wait like a month or two before knowing where I will be living for the next 3 years. That part is kind of a drag.

I am so excited for you all! I cannot believe Fall semester went by in a flash and now you all are done or almost there. Craziness! I cannot wait to find out where you guys are going in a couple of months!!!! :soexcited:

Finally finished all eight of my applications. Completed my last one just hours ago and just before the deadline. Feels real good to finally be done. Can't wait for a much more relaxed spring semester.

Finished and submitted everything for all 5 schools last Tuesday! Now it's just keeping on a couple of references to make sure they submit the letter everywhere and playing the waiting game.

I have no idea when I should start hearing from programs...it definitely wasn't as clear when decisions would happen unlike undergrad. Does anyone know how long it typically takes to find out?

Finished and submitted everything for all 5 schools last Tuesday! Now it's just keeping on a couple of references to make sure they submit the letter everywhere and playing the waiting game.

I have no idea when I should start hearing from programs...it definitely wasn't as clear when decisions would happen unlike undergrad. Does anyone know how long it typically takes to find out?

I know for me, it was mainly March by the time I heard from most of the schools.

Man, that seems like such a long time to wait, especially since the programs are so small!

I remember those days, how I don't wanna relive them. But enough about me, good luck guys. You may want to search a post that was started maybe 2 years ago, regarding where people got accepted to.

Did anyone else here apply to UMass, UConn, Northeastern, or Northwestern? Seems like there aren't too many other people from the northeast on this forum.

Got an interview request from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and James Madison University.

Last edited:
Did anyone else here apply to UMass, UConn, Northeastern, or Northwestern? Seems like there aren't too many other people from the northeast on this forum.

Hey, I'm also applying to those schools (as well as St. John's, where I'm graduating from in May).

Hi dg2b, I applied to Uconn and Northwestern, with Northwestern being one of my top choices!(I applied to a lot of schools) I still can't believe that it's a 3 year accelerated program. Although super costly, I guess it kinda evens out at the end.

Did you get a chance to visit any of the campuses?

Hi dg2b, I applied to Uconn and Northwestern, with Northwestern being one of my top choices!(I applied to a lot of schools) I still can't believe that it's a 3 year accelerated program. Although super costly, I guess it kinda evens out at the end.

If you all end up attending Northwestern....please say hi to Dr. Lee for me :) lol She left us over a year ago and we miss her dearly at UofA.

I got an interview request today from the University of Iowa! Did anyone else apply there?

I got an interview request today from the University of Iowa! Did anyone else apply there?

I know I already pressed the imaginary "love" button on Facebook, but congratulations, rEliseMe!!!

May this thread continue with everyone's exciting news! :)

Congrats!:thumbup:
I applied to Iowa, but nothing yet. sigh.. :(
So, when's the big interview? Campus or phone interview?

Congrats!:thumbup:
I applied to Iowa, but nothing yet. sigh.. :(
So, when's the big interview? Campus or phone interview?

There's still time, CaliAud! I don't know when the deadline for interviews is but phone interview day is February 24 and in-person interview day is February 25. Since I live in Idaho, I'd qualify for a phone interview but I want to illustrate my dedication by flying out there for the weekend.

There's still time, CaliAud! I don't know when the deadline for interviews is but phone interview day is February 24 and in-person interview day is February 25. Since I live in Idaho, I'd qualify for a phone interview but I want to illustrate my dedication by flying out there for the weekend.

:thumbup: Wise. I'd probably do the same if I hear back from one of my first choice school(s). Unfortunately, I did a phone interview instead of a campus interview for WUSTL because the deadline was 2/15 and there was no time slot available for a campus visit. I suppose there are lots of candidates!

Do update us on your interview rElisseMe and congrats once again! :)

I've been to UConn campus before, but not to the audiology department. I've never even been to Chicago though! I'd love to be done in 3 years, since I'm already 2 years out of undergrad, and don't want to be in school forever. Do you know if Northwestern gives any sort of merit scholarships or other financial aid?

I've been to UConn campus before, but not to the audiology department. I've never even been to Chicago though! I'd love to be done in 3 years, since I'm already 2 years out of undergrad, and don't want to be in school forever. Do you know if Northwestern gives any sort of merit scholarships or other financial aid?

Hi! 3 years in school does sound appealing, both financially and of course, timewise. However, my professor thinks that i won't be able to enjoy full clinical and academic experience since everything will be somewhat rushed. Plus, there's just no wiggle room. It made me think for a bit. :D

So, Northwestern does give some scholarships. Hugh Knowles Center(I think) do offer a full scholarship for 3 years, but to ONE student I think. Also, according to their website, they also offer a partial tuition scholarship. This one actually seem to work for a lot of students who are NOT getting the full scholarship mentioned above. I believe they will notify you if you qualify, but you should check it out anyways. :)

Hi! 3 years in school does sound appealing, both financially and of course, timewise. However, my professor thinks that i won't be able to enjoy full clinical and academic experience since everything will be somewhat rushed. Plus, there's just no wiggle room. It made me think for a bit. :D

So, Northwestern does give some scholarships. Hugh Knowles Center(I think) do offer a full scholarship for 3 years, but to ONE student I think. Also, according to their website, they also offer a partial tuition scholarship. This one actually seem to work for a lot of students who are NOT getting the full scholarship mentioned above. I believe they will notify you if you qualify, but you should check it out anyways. :)

Awesome, thanks for the info! Definitely will be something to consider if I have to decide between Northwestern and a 4 year school.

Just finished my last app today! I applied to 7 programs total - waiting on CSDCAS for a few. So far I have heard back from JMU and UNC for interviews in the end of February - exciting!

Also, I'm a new member - have been reading and taking advice from the forum for a while but now I actually have some time to start posting! I'm a non-SP&H background person - out of undergrad since 2004 but looking forward to this new adventure...:)