Fall 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveAuD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright! The time is coming fast for applying for next year! Where is everyone applying to? It's a harder process than I realized trying to just decide where you want to go. I'm applying to SDSU, ASU, AT Still, Un of Southern Miss (I think), UF, Syracuse. Does anyone know anything about Un of Southern Miss or Un of Cinn? Un of Cinn has animal audiology which I think is pretty interesting...

Members don't see this ad.

Un of Cinn has animal audiology which I think is pretty interesting...

That is interesting! I didn't know there was even a specialty like that... Cool. :)

I'll be applying to Iowa for sure. I'm unsure about my fallback schools. Probably UT-Dallas, UConn, Idaho State, and maybe a place in California and Wisconsin-Madison (because a couple of my professors went there). I'm having difficulty focusing on anywhere but Iowa because I feel like it's the perfect fit. I'm even nervous talking about it because I don't want to talk anyone else into going and being my competition for admission.

I'm even nervous talking about it because I don't want to talk anyone else into going and being my competition for admission.

I can see where where you're coming from, but at the same you kind of want a few people here to be there because you already know them and want to study with them. I am nervous, too because I talk too much about my dream school, but I'm afraid I'll receive the rejection letter. It has happened once before even when I put a whole heart into it (worked my butt off for the best GPA), but I suppose it's not all about the GPA. It's more about your letter of intent and how much effort you put into this field. A_, I highly encourage you to keep in contact with those professors at UI because if they can remember you, they'll keep an eye out on your admissions packet.

Members don't see this ad :)
SoCal - disagree. Your letter is important but GPA certainly matters; IMO more than anything else. Once you meet some more people in the field, you'll understand what I'm talking about - and I'm not including you in the next statement. Not belittling your point here but I'd rather have tons of really smart people in the field rather than a bunch of idiots who write good papers.

Animal audiology would be really cool. I'll have to read up on that because I didn't know that was out there. What are they studying? I've talked to too many vets who just classify an animal as "deaf" without any knowledge of the auditory system. Would be great to change that.

I'd recommend finding a school that has a heavy emphasis on whatever it is you're interested in. For example, if you want a very good well rounded program that dables in all aspects, Rush would be a good example. If you're looking for a program that has a heavy HA emphasis - working under Ruth Benter would be a great idea. Most schools have offsite placements for your clinical programs (once you're "deemed" ready) so you can tailor your clinical experience to what you're looking for but each program will have an emphasis on a given topic based on it's setup within the university or hospital.

But back to papers - if anyone wants an extra eye to reread or make suggestions, I'm happy to do so for you.

-D

... I'd rather have tons of really smart people in the field rather than a bunch of idiots who write good papers.

Well, I can make the same argument for GPA! You don't have to be smart, per se, to get all As. You just have to work hard, go to easy classes, or suck up to the professor. I know plenty of straight-A students who give me the deer-in-the-headlights look when I try to talk about this research article or that news piece or this new technique, etc. I think that's why there is such a thing as an admissions packet. It's not about one thing, it's about how everything comes together.

If you're looking for a program that has a heavy HA emphasis - working under Ruth Benter would be a great idea.
Actually, I'm desperate to study with Dr Turner. I have heard wonderful things about Dr Bentler, but Dr Turner is the reason I found UIowa in the first place. I read his hybrid research and thought, "Dang, I'd love to study with this guy! I wonder where he teaches?" Next thing you know, I'm in love with Iowa. But when I visited, I discovered that every faculty member (including clinical faculty!) is involved in research. And every professor I met was studying something I could get behind, even the SLP faculty! I was floored.

But back to papers - if anyone wants an extra eye to reread or make suggestions, I'm happy to do so for you.
I would love that! I'll be taking it off the shelf here in a couple weeks for final edits as I get my packet together. I'd be honored to have an extra critical eye. :) I'll send you a private message.

LoveAuD:

Southern Miss is my neck of the woods. Let me know what you find out, as I'm also interested.

I am currently attending AT Still and would love to share any information if needed/requested.

Lemme know! good luck everyone

eardocsavvy, I'm interested in AT Still. What's the course load look like for your first semester? How do you like your current professors/clinicians?

eardocsavvy, I'm interested in AT Still. What's the course load look like for your first semester? How do you like your current professors/clinicians?

Okay.. Where do I start?.. lol

My course load looks like this: (& all of this can be found online via atsu.edu)
Auditory Science, 3 days a week
Professional Roles and Responsibilities, 1 day a week
Acquisition and Development of Communicative Skills, 2 days a week
Human Anatomy for Audiologists + lab, class 2 days a week then lab one day for 3 hours
Grand Rounds 1 day a week
Clinical Rotation once a week for 4 hours.

I love the professors they are all really supportive. The school is amazing, and the area is perfect for a school like this. The nice thing about this program is that there is not a clinic on campus, meaning they place you into the community in your first semester. This can be seen as a negative thing but it gives you a glimpse of what it is really like on the outside. It allows you to become a more efficient audiologist. You do not have a chance to do a 2 hour hearing test, you get to do it as it is really done in the real world. We do have clinical equipment on campus for study and classwork purposes. The AFA (American Foundation of Audiology) donated a lot of money to AT Still so we will eventually open a clinic on campus. The nice thing about the school that I really like is that there are no undergraduate programs. All the people who attend the school want to be there. There are PT, OT, DO, Dentist, Au.D. and a lot of other graduate programs on campus. Another nice thing is that it is an Au.D. program all by itself, there is not SLP program in the building or anywhere on campus. This means that it is purely from an Au.D. prospective and there are no influences from the SLP side of things (other than what we need to know).
I would really recommend the program, it is fantastic.

Thank you so much for your input, eardocsavvy. AT Still does sound like a really great school. I was kind of "iffy" about the off-campus clinic rotation, but like you said, it gives you a taste of reality and that is exactly what students need starting their first semester.

I drop a few questions as soon as I fall out of my Labor Day weekend mood. :p

My list changes frequently and I think some of this will depend on my GRE (I take it in 3 weeks) but my schools in order are:

Gallaudet
U. Minn
U. Nebraska
U. Wisconsin
U. Colorado
U. Texas Austin
U. Washington
U. South Dakota

Seems to be enough to make my fall quarter very interesting anyway. I have so many schools that I feel guilty about asking for recommendations.

Also, I really have no idea about UW-Madison...its not even on the annual rankings of the schools. Do any of you guys have information?

I'm not sure about the specifics, but a bunch of my Speech-Language Pathology professors graduated from UW-Madison. I'm not sure how they are with Audiology. I'd be tempted to avoid it simply because where there is a great SLP program, the AuD program tends to suffer (at least in Undergrad).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

Also, I know the program at UW quite well so please PM me if you have any questions :)

Hi there, welcome to the forum! :D

I'm actually applying to the same schools as you are, but for the Fall 2012. So, no worries - no competition here! :p

You mentioned UW - did you mean University of Washington or Wisconsin? I'm really interested in Washington, but it looks more like a medical audiology program rather a general Au.D program. I don't know if that's the UW you were talking about.

Hope to see more of your comments on here!

Hi guys,

I have been reading up on posts about applying to the AuD program and i have learned so much already! I was wondering if I could get advice about which schools to apply to? I am worried about my GPA because i know for suree it is low compared to others.. plus I will be applying from Canada..so right now I am thinking of just getting into "a" program...
- My 4 years gpa is 2.75 (bad second year)
-my last two years is about a 3.3
- i will be writing GRE in 2 weeks
- I have my 3 letters which are good
- I have some related work experience

But i am just so worried about which schools i should apply to that are not as competitive?

I'd be tempted to avoid it simply because where there is a great SLP program, the AuD program tends to suffer (at least in Undergrad).

Undergrad and grad level are two totally different ball games. There are very few places if any that have any significant audiology coursework/experience for undergrads. Pretty much everyone comes in with a speech heavy background unless you really take it upon yourself as far as observations go. I had one Audiology course and one Aural rehab course as an undergrad. At the grad level good SLP and AuD programs are not mutually exclusive things. I'm at U Memphis and both programs are highly ranked, AuD is 5-6ish and SLP is a little lower. Vandy also has both highly ranked and I'm sure there are others, it's just been quite a while since I've looked at both lists. Don't cross a school off your list just because they have a good speech program. In fact, depending on your interest, that could be an added benefit, say for example you have a strong emphasis in Aural Rehab, an area in which speech and audiology somewhat merge.

Sorry for the long response. Hope it's useful.

Hey!

I meant UW-Seattle :). There is a lot of medical emphasis because of the research that is going on. However, there are a lot of clinical opportunities as well. Seattle with all of its schools and hospitals, holds a lot of great opportunties. Its a pretty balanced program in my opinion and the program works really hard at bringing in new faculty with unique research interests. Their website isn't the best at representing the school but if you want more information, email the advisor. If you have more specific questions, PM me. I'd be glad to answer more questions about the school :)

Also, if anyone has information or opinions on Rush and Wisconsin's AuD programs, I'd love to hear them! I really like that area and would like to know more about those specific schools but their websites aren't very informative. I will be meeting with a professor to discuss programs but any sort of additional info would be helpful. :)

I also beg to differ. Most of the schools I'm applying to, with the exception of one, are considered to be highly regarded and have highly regarded SLP programs as well. That lone school DOES happen to have a highly regarded SLP program but only a decent AuD program. Even though its decent in the eyes of "rankings", its still a school I like.

Part of the reason why there are so few AuD programs in this country as opposed to SLP programs, is because of money. It costs ALOT to have an AuD program and for that reason, AuD programs tend to be at large research universities. With that, comes good SLP programs. All the rankings and big name professors are drawn to or are based off that research money. With that comes with funding for students, nicer clinics and more opportunities all together. Good AuD programs need good SLP programs to be "good", because they are, in essence, interdependent. All the "top" AuD programs (with the exception of Wash U., I believe), have an SLP program that is ranked higher or is within ten spots. Then again, rankings aren't everything.

Then again, rankings aren't everything.

Thanks for the responses on that comment! I wasn't expecting such a well-thought-out retort, honestly. The only reason I pay attention to rankings is that they somewhat depend on the size of the school's library and the funding available. I am coming from a small school where I pay just as much as the SLP students (and students on the home campus, whereas I'm at a satellite campus) but receive a mere fraction of the benefits. If I'm paying $20,000/year, I want to see that in my materials. I have not seen that in my program, even in the graduate program (as I've looked into it).

I agree that it's not a causation, but I'm going to hold my ground and say that when it comes to the reality of the school (not the ranking) and the atmosphere of SLP V. AuD, there is probably a correlation. But that's my opinion; I don't have time to fact-check! ;)

Hi all!

I'm new to this site but have been observing it for awhile. I'm applying to AuD programs this fall as well :). I have a specific research interest in pediatric aural rehabilitation and am wondering if there are any other schools besides ASU, UW, UT-Dallas and Gallaudet I should look at?

Also, I really have no idea about UW-Madison...its not even on the annual rankings of the schools. Do any of you guys have information?

Also, I know the program at UW quite well so please PM me if you have any questions :)

come to gallaudet!!!! i am in my 2nd year now and have a pediatric aural rehab client that i'll be doing therapy with all semester-same as the SLP students. if that's your thing then i think you would really like it.

the nice thing about gallaudet is that you learn about all programs for deaf/hh kids, not just oral. you might learn more about deaf culture while on campus but then when you go off campus you get to see oral so you get the best of both worlds.

cidanu, that's pretty neat that you work with a aural rehab client. I've been interested in that area for a while now, especially in the pediatrics area. I think Gallaudet is an amazing school, but I'm just little nervous about DC. I've never been there!!! :( How do you like surrounding location?

cidanu, that's pretty neat that you work with a aural rehab client. I've been interested in that area for a while now, especially in the pediatrics area. I think Gallaudet is an amazing school, but I'm just little nervous about DC. I've never been there!!! :( How do you like surrounding location?

I love DC. I moved here when I finished undergrad and I've been living here for 5 years now. There are so many interesting people here and lots to do if you like restaurants, museums, and other cultural stuff.

The city's pretty easy to get around in and you don't need a car. I bike everywhere but you can also take the bus or metro. I live a mile and a half from campus and have a 20 minute commute by bike, part of which is on a bike trail.

I know DC has a reputation for crime, but for the most part I don't think it's much different from any other big city. Some neighborhoods have more crime than others.

I can tell you that not everyone does like DC. My California colleagues pretty much hate it and can't wait to move back to the west coast. Apparently DC is very "east coast." It also has a much preppier feeling than NYC, although the city's not without art or music communities. It's kind of a bridge between the south and the east.

There's also quite a bit of racial tension and economic disparities that make for some difficult situations. The city is undergoing some serious gentrification so you can imagine.

I'm applying to UNC Chapel Hill, Northern Illinois, University of Maryland, Northwestern, The Ohio State University, and Indiana University. May add UT Dallas if I have the time and desire. Also might be applying to Cincy, Arizona State, and the University of Illinois for speech pathology. Maybe someone on here will be a future classmate.

Hi All,
I hope that I am doing this right. First time at this but I have been reading many of the threads that have been posted. I must say that reading all the posts have given me different views about audiology moreso about the different schools to which one can apply for postgrad studies.
I initially had intended to do SLP however the little exposure to Audiology has converted me to pursue this area. However, I am doing my UG in a caribbean univ the speech and lang program is new and structured to prepare persons for SLP. So I would like any advice on what can help my case when i apply to an AuD prog in the US. Also, are there any caribbean Aud students out there? :(
Hope I was not too long :)

I'm applying to UNC Chapel Hill...

Hey Eastr90, I've recently been considering UNC-CH. What can you tell me about their program and why did you decide to apply there?

I was kind of "iffy" about the off-campus clinic rotation, but like you said, it gives you a taste of reality and that is exactly what students need starting their first semester.

I also am attending ATSU for the AuD program. The clinical approach to education was actually founded with the original school back in 1892! They have used it to train their D.O. Medical Students since the beginning to a great advantage.

My wife attends ATSU for the D.O. program. As a 4th year student, many of her clinical rotations are audition rotations for her residency applications. She is consistently mistaken for a Resident based on experience and knowledge. In fact, during more than one OB/GYN rotation, she actually had personally delivered and performed more C-sections than some 2nd year Residents!

The ATSU AuD program has maintained the same view, that every clinical rotation is an experience that can not be duplicated on campus. I certainly want to go into my clinical externship with as much experience as possible.

As a side note, ATSU has and has had the largest transitional (masters to AuD) program of any school. It is one of two that remain. The resulting network of graduate doctors is a pretty good resource when clinical rotations and externships are needed in years 3.5-4.

Oh... Did I mention that I love this school? I guess you already knew that! :)

Hi guys,

I have been reading up on posts about applying to the AuD program and i have learned so much already! I was wondering if I could get advice about which schools to apply to? I am worried about my GPA because i know for suree it is low compared to others.. plus I will be applying from Canada..so right now I am thinking of just getting into "a" program...
- My 4 years gpa is 2.75 (bad second year)
-my last two years is about a 3.3
- i will be writing GRE in 2 weeks
- I have my 3 letters which are good
- I have some related work experience

But i am just so worried about which schools i should apply to that are not as competitive?

Audi,

I am currently in the program at ATSU in Arizona. It is hot here, but I love it!

Don't worry too much about your GPA, as I had a lower GPA than you. I won't lie. It WILL be tougher to get into programs! However, if you work hard and get a good GRE score and can justify the lower GPA if interviewed, you should be okay.

If you really want to be an AuD, that is your assett. Once I decided where I wanted to attend most, I made it a point to be in contact whenever I had reason to. I visited the campus (for a tour), emailed an update regarding classes I worked on, and flew down for my interview. I cannot stress how much that a face-to-face helps you become cemented in their minds. It is a good idea for any non-pinhead (where a visual may not be the best choice). :p

Seriously, my GPA was not among my assetts. I am enthusiastic about audiology, smart, and professional. If you can sell that, you have a better chance than a 4.0 in cut-off shorts and a wife-beater tank!

Ignore, look at post below this

Hey reEliseme, I choose UNC Chapel Hill because they have a professor there who I would like to work with. I choose most of my schools for that reason and also because all but my safeties are big division I schools and that also appealed to me. UNC made the list and I am hoping my specificity in professor will make admission easier and give me a better shot of becoming a research assistant under that professor or another professor. Is there anything specific you want to know about the UNC program?

rElise: UNC is a pretty awesome program. I met Dr. Rousch, the program director, at ASHA last year and he was great to talk to. I hadn't even been thinking about applying there till I met him and talked to him. One of the neatest things about their program was that all their academic faculty are all still active clinically. Granted, they are not full time clinically active, but they are all still current. I made it to the interview round and onto the waiting list, but ended up not getting in. It'd definitely very competitive. I think they ended up interviewing 30ish students for about 10 spots.

The one big negative for UNC-CH is financial aid. They don't really have any GA positions for AuD students. They do have a pediatric fellowship grant available to first years that is for $10k but out of state tuition is a little pricey. Even if I had gotten in, I'm not sure I would have gone, b/c I ended up with a GA at my program that gets me in-state, then half tuition waiver, plus a stipend.

I would really recommend looking into them though. Their facilities are very nice and the whole CH, Raleigh, Durham research triangle has a lot of resources.

Thank you (both of you!) for your replies. :) I'm interested in research and was considering UNC as a backup school. From what you said, CMC, I'm not quite as certain anymore. My dad found a spot on the website that lists financial aid opportunities, but it sounds like you're saying those don't apply to AuD students.

I like the location (I have a certain fondness for the south) and it sounds like the program would teach me what I needed/wanted to know, but I certainly can't afford $30,000/year for just my AuD since I intend to continue on with my PhD as well.

One thing I am curious about is the research element... are there certain topics of research which seem more prevalent at UNC than others? I'm particularly interested in cochlear implant research and electrophysiology.

rElise: The one big negative for UNC-CH is financial aid. ..... Even if I had gotten in, I'm not sure I would have gone, b/c I ended up with a GA at my program that gets me in-state, then half tuition waiver, plus a stipend.

I would really recommend looking into them though. Their facilities are very nice and the whole CH, Raleigh, Durham research triangle has a lot of resources.

Hey future AuDies,

how's the application process going so far?

I have been pretty worried about getting my letter of recommendations, since there's only two audiology professors at my campus and both are part time and teach one VERY large class. They know me somewhat well (know about my hearing loss and which programs i'm looking into, etc), but they don't know the struggles I've gone through to be where I'm at today. I don't know how to tell them. I wish they were more interested enough to ask or else it would be awkward... Any advice or suggestions? Oh and please let me know how the application process is going!!! :D

Hey you! Like we don't talk often. ;)

My process is frustrating. I know three of the four schools I want to apply to, but the fourth is still up in the air and I don't want to set things in motion until I know what school that is. If NC is really as selective and stingy about financial aid as the comments here made it seem, I'm not sure I want to apply... which leaves me back where I started!

I plan to make up "recommendation packets" for each of the people I'm asking (which have a picture of me, a resume, an unofficial transcript, the schools I'm applying to and the process for submitting a letter of recommendation, and also my statement of purpose) so that it's as quick and painless as possible for them.

I know it's an age-old suggestion, but just go talk to them! I don't know if they have office hours or anything, but just stop in and say, "Hey, I just wanted you to know I'm enjoying your class (or some other form of compliment that can be said truthfully), and wondering if there is anything I could do that I'm not doing already that would help me get the most out of it?" That shows that you're interested in learning and take initiative. Since you're not applying 'til next fall, you've got lots of time to do this, still. I'd be more worried if you were applying for 2011.

I have been pretty worried about getting my letter of recommendations...
Any advice or suggestions? Oh and please let me know how the application process is going!!! :D

Thank you (both of you!) for your replies. :) I'm interested in research and was considering UNC as a backup school. From what you said, CMC, I'm not quite as certain anymore. My dad found a spot on the website that lists financial aid opportunities, but it sounds like you're saying those don't apply to AuD students.

I like the location (I have a certain fondness for the south) and it sounds like the program would teach me what I needed/wanted to know, but I certainly can't afford $30,000/year for just my AuD since I intend to continue on with my PhD as well.

One thing I am curious about is the research element... are there certain topics of research which seem more prevalent at UNC than others? I'm particularly interested in cochlear implant research and electrophysiology.

I can't recall offhand what research interests there were, but there was definitely research going on. I saw that spot on the website you were talking about regarding funding opportunities. Unless things have drastically changed, the only funding for first years is the $10k pediatric fellowship. IIRC there are some more funding options that come around in the second and/or third year. E-mail Dr. Roush if you get a chance. I found him to be very helpful. While your AuD debt load is definitely important, your PhD ought to be fully funded, at least if I understand how the system works. If you're wanting to go full time, you should be able to get funding from a university for that. That typically will include tuition plus a stipend and possibly even insurance.

I am currently finishing up my 2nd BA at Utah State University so I have decided to apply to Montclair State University and UCONN. I am from the East Coast so I don't really wanna go to far away from home, plus I can still be able to work part time at my job as an Audiology Technician. If I do not get in, I'll apply to Utah State or Gallaudet next year.

I am interested in pediatrics and ultimately, teaching at the university level so these programs all fit the bill.

Last edited:
Hey superOTinflight,

My audiology professor graduated from Utah State. He always tells me about their AuD program and it sounds interesting. Do you know Todd Houston there?

By the way, how did you find info about becoming an Audiology Technician? I'm interested! What are the requirements?

Hi SoCalAud!

I have not had that professor yet. I absolutely love USU's 2nd bachelor's program and if not accepted to MSU, would really enjoy USU's program.

I really was just blessed to find the position I have now. Since I have been doing prereqs in communication disorders and knew that I wanted to go on to become an audiologist, I was a perfect fit for the position. Try looking in online career websites for positions.

MSU ftw:banana::clap::banana:

non biased opinion of course :lol:

Hi BigAl,

How has your experience been at Monclair State University? Is it very hard to obtain a grad assistantship through the ScD program? Is it super- competive to gain admission into this program? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PM me

there are haters within these forum walls, not going to mention who but it starts with S (should clarify its a school)

Last edited:
I am really interested in the audiology program in ATSU

I am in my last semester, finishing with my bachelors in Communication disorder sciences. I had a bit of a bad start to my college carrier when I first began. To break it down...I have a 3.2 major gpa, over all 3.03 and past 60 units about a 3.2.

The head/chair of audiology department is giving me a letter of rec, as well as 2 other audiology professors. In addition I am doing research with one of the professors, and with the other I am doing audiology clinic.

I still need to take the GRE's :(. I am really bad at standardize testings and math.

I was just wondering if I still have a chance if I completely screw up on my GRE's.

Hi BigAl,

How has your experience been at Monclair State University? Is it very hard to obtain a grad assistantship through the ScD program? Is it super- competive to gain admission into this program? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

MSU has converted to the AuD program and they have a brand new state of the art facility. I imagine they'll start climbing in the rankings as the results of the transfer are seen. Also about half my class (first year) have graduate assistantships (though they only give half assistantships because there isn't enough time between course work and clinic hours to do a full assistantship).

I can't say how competitive the admissions are because I had a pretty good application (high GRE scores, GPA, etc.) and I don't know what my classmates' scores/grades were (though I know one had a 4.0 GPA and one has a post-grad degree from a very pretigious school)

I should add, I have a friend at CUNY and for some reason I have to do about 30 more credits than him in the same amount of time (I'm at Montclair, in case you didn't figure that out). Not sure if you consider that a good or a bad thing but I thought it would be helpful to know.

MSU has converted to the AuD program and they have a brand new state of the art facility. I imagine they'll start climbing in the rankings as the results of the transfer are seen. Also about half my class (first year) have graduate assistantships (though they only give half assistantships because there isn't enough time between course work and clinic hours to do a full assistantship).

I can't say how competitive the admissions are because I had a pretty good application (high GRE scores, GPA, etc.) and I don't know what my classmates' scores/grades were (though I know one had a 4.0 GPA and one has a post-grad degree from a very pretigious school)

Old post, but :highfive:for the MSU shout out