Fall semester grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sakbar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it looks like my senior fall semester grades are gonna kick my ass...ugh

A: in Fresh English and Methods of Human Nutritional Assessment
B-: in cell phys and epidemiology
D: Immunology

This is the ONLY D i have ever had on my transcript...and I have no F's

*sigh*....I really don't know what to do at this point.

I really had lost hope with dental schools after Dec. 1 when i got wait listed at the only school I had an interview with and I had decided to start focusing on applying to post-bac/SMPs/Masters programs.....then the morning of my immunology final i got an email from Tufts for and interview (PS: tufts would be my DREAM school)

I have an interview at my dream school on Jan 11 and now this happens...grrrr...I don't know what to do :-(....

I'm thinking I could retake the course, but its currently full. But usually after the first class a lot of kids get scared and drop so I know I could easily force add it next semester and just send letters to schools explaining that I will be force adding the course?

Thanks for the help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I would def wait to do the "academic update" portion of AADSAS until after you have your interview. I would then do whatever you can to get into that class for the winter and write a letter to the school stating your situation.

I think thats the best thing to do. How much damage did it do to your GPA?

Well, I would def wait to do the "academic update" portion of AADSAS until after you have your interview. I would then do whatever you can to get into that class for the winter and write a letter to the school stating your situation.

I think thats the best thing to do. How much damage did it do to your GPA?

Waiting on the academic update might or might not help. Tufts will most likely ask about this past semester's grades and look at your overall gpa and stuff again when re-evaluating you

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeaaaaaa. In the email with the interview they said
"Before the Admissions Committee will make any final decision on your application, it requires that your application be complete.* The Admissions staff will review with you during your visit any outstanding documents.*Any decision made by the Admissions Committee is contingent upon verifiable completion of planned coursework (planned academic coursework is defined as your current academic program, as listed on your AADSAS application), including completion of any degree program in which you are currently enrolled.*If any aspect of your planned coursework changes, please notify the Admissions Office immediately.* Failure to complete planned coursework may result in the withdrawal of any decision by the Admissions Committee (including acceptance, acceptance to the wait list, merit scholarship award, etc)."

So maybe I should submit the academic update and be prepared to talk about it with them at the interview?

Aww Sara... If this helps at all, I'm currently scheduled to take Immunology in the spring. If I decide not to take it I'll let you know so you can grab it.

That really sucks about having to do the update right before you go to interview. I think I would just put it off until I went there and just explain what happened when I got there. I really don't know, its a pretty tough one. Maybe you could do as much shadowing and volunteer hours until then to try to make up for it? :oops:

Good Luck

Yeaaaaaa. In the email with the interview they said
"Before the Admissions Committee will make any final decision on your application, it requires that your application be complete.* The Admissions staff will review with you during your visit any outstanding documents.*Any decision made by the Admissions Committee is contingent upon verifiable completion of planned coursework (planned academic coursework is defined as your current academic program, as listed on your AADSAS application), including completion of any degree program in which you are currently enrolled.*If any aspect of your planned coursework changes, please notify the Admissions Office immediately.* Failure to complete planned coursework may result in the withdrawal of any decision by the Admissions Committee (including acceptance, acceptance to the wait list, merit scholarship award, etc)."

So maybe I should submit the academic update and be prepared to talk about it with them at the interview?

You really should send them a formal letter addressing the grade. Express to them the situation, why you performed poorly, and what you plan to do to make up for it before matriculation. They stressed the importance of being honest and you don't want them to realize it on their own or through the academic update.

awww..thanks daniel! force adding the class shouldn't be a problem! giving myself the willpower to go through the class again might be, but i guess i have to....blah

so I guess don't academic update BUT when I go for the interview address the issue....technically I should wait until I add immunology to my course load for next semester again before I do an academic update which is probably going to happen in January....

Maybe you could do as much shadowing and volunteer hours until then to try to make up for it? :oops:

Good Luck

all the shadowing or volunteer work in the world wont remedy a D in an upper division science class....

OP, thats a good idea. don't jump the gun with the update until you are able to re register and then explain it.

actually......would it be better if I beg my adviser/dean to change my grade to a P/F instead of a letter grade? If I do this then I CAN NOT retake the course for a letter grade though....OR would it be better to just take the D and then retake the course and do better?

oooh and this course isn't required for my major, so I don't need it to graduate....I just took it because it was a recommended course for a lot of schools....

thanks! that does help....i just need to be ready to talk about it on jan 11...its gonna be a bummer when they ask me if i have anything to say and i reply...ooo yea about that immunology course...ooo well it needs to be done

Last edited:
I've never heard of being able to change a letter grade to a P/F grade..is that common but just not advertised by the university?

That might be the way to go as it will avoid an unnecessary explanation AND re taking the class since its just an elective technically.

PLUS then it will not destroy your GPA either right?

i emailed my adviser.....she said that there's no possible way for me to do that and that hopefully i can retake the class next semester!

arite....sooo just gootta explain myself and retake the class and hope for the best....

I really don't understand all the rules surrounding when and when you can't pass/fail a class, especially if its an elective....

most schools give you the option to petition the grade change to P/F. A committee usually decides but of course you have to have a good reason.

I really don't understand all the rules surrounding when and when you can't pass/fail a class, especially if its an elective....

Hey there, saw you were a fellow Hokie so I thought I'd post a reply here. Don't even worry about not being able to get into the class, because a lot of people drop after the first day (like you mentioned). Dr. Elgert's class is one of the toughest at Tech and in order to succeed I think the key is to keep up with the material and read ahead every class. It's not impossible to get an A, but it's going to take a lot of work. Also you have the chance to make a class P/F after like a month once classes start, so the deadline passed awhile ago. Good luck on your interview and best of luck with Immunology!

hey!

thanks for the advice everyone :) really appreciate it!

arite soooo i guess i'll just have an explanation ready and add his course first week of classes after he scares some kids off :)

Tufts interview is very conversational and low key- they just want to know you, no trick questions, often it is D4 who is conducting it, not adcom member.

definitely retake immuno if you can get into the class. imo this is a critical class as far as "suggested pre-reqs" are concerned as you'll be taking it in dental school anyway. good luck :)