Fall Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcblondie219

Reaction score
I just got into a program that is on a funny schedule and starts in January 2021. It want to apply to more schools for other (cheaper) options but I am nervous I won't hear back from any other program until after this program starts so it would be a waste of application fees. If I submit my applications by August could I get an early interview and have time to decide?!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on getting in! I would suggest you could apply to a few other schools as early as possible (end of this month or by the middle of august) and you will hear back soon! I submitted all of my apps by mid-August and had all my interviews Sept through November, and got most of my decisions by the end of December. It's worth a try imo!

Congrats on getting in! I would suggest you could apply to a few other schools as early as possible (end of this month or by the middle of august) and you will hear back soon! I submitted all of my apps by mid-August and had all my interviews Sept through November, and got most of my decisions by the end of December. It's worth a try imo!
Thank you! I was mainly curious about when people typically hear back hoping if I submit early, I'll hear back soon. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Jw which school did you get into? And wow that was fast 7 days

I got into Marist. I applied for them in the last cycle but they also do applications this cycle for January 2021 which I did not realize when I first applied. I only applied to one other school at the tail end of the last cycle and was planning to apply to most schools this cycle.

I got into Marist. I applied for them in the last cycle but they also do applications this cycle for January 2021 which I did not realize when I first applied. I only applied to one other school at the tail end of the last cycle and was planning to apply to most schools this cycle.
I go to Marist!
Just know they will NOT return your deposit, and I know it's hefty - I think a grand? Because of our funny timing (it is because we share some faculty and our gross anatomy lab with our PA program & logistically a January start made the most sense), we sometimes have students accept Marist, deposit, and then get into a different school that is closer to home or cheaper or whatever...they always ask for a refund & get denied. We've even had a few students start with us and drop out during the semester! That always bugs me because that seat could have gone to someone who really wanted to go to Marist. Anyway, I just wanted to warn you! I know grand scheme of things a thousand bucks isn't a deal-breaker but it's still, ya know, a thousand bucks.

If you have any questions about the program, let me know!
And either way, congrats - it's nice to know that no matter what, you got in SOMEwhere!

I just got into a program that is on a funny schedule and starts in January 2021. It want to apply to more schools for other (cheaper) options but I am nervous I won't hear back from any other program until after this program starts so it would be a waste of application fees. If I submit my applications by August could I get an early interview and have time to decide?!
Depends on schools. Contact them and ask when they are planning to have interviews and start making decisions. Obviously, if their interviews are not until Jan, don't apply there. If they are before/in Dec, you decide if the risk is worth the fees. I had an interview in Nov and got accepted in Dec (but had to call them and ask since they send out decisions a couple of weeks after the decisions were actually made).

I go to Marist!
Just know they will NOT return your deposit, and I know it's hefty - I think a grand? Because of our funny timing (it is because we share some faculty and our gross anatomy lab with our PA program & logistically a January start made the most sense), we sometimes have students accept Marist, deposit, and then get into a different school that is closer to home or cheaper or whatever...they always ask for a refund & get denied. We've even had a few students start with us and drop out during the semester! That always bugs me because that seat could have gone to someone who really wanted to go to Marist. Anyway, I just wanted to warn you! I know grand scheme of things a thousand bucks isn't a deal-breaker but it's still, ya know, a thousand bucks.

And either way, congrats - it's nice to know that no matter what, you got in SOMEwhere!

Hi! I am currently applying to Marist (it's rolling & due Nov 16th for the January 2021 start) & with the funny timing should I have had my application in wayyyyyy sooner? I literally just finished my essay & was trying to get my letters of recs in before submitting. Any thoughts on this would be nice! It looks like a rad program :)

I go to Marist!

Thank you so much! I plan to do the deposit no matter what, I'm hoping to apply early to hear back from other schools early, but I really like Marist. I'm from the area which is a big draw for me.

Hi! I am currently applying to Marist (it's rolling & due Nov 16th for the January 2021 start) & with the funny timing should I have had my application in wayyyyyy sooner? I literally just finished my essay & was trying to get my letters of recs in before submitting. Any thoughts on this would be nice! It looks like a rad program :)
I applied last cycle which is how I am already in but the the admissions was super understanding about a few things that got delayed. I would submit as early as possible and keep in touch with admissions, they reached out to me about missing items.

I applied last cycle which is how I am already in but the the admissions was super understanding about a few things that got delayed. I would submit as early as possible and keep in touch with admissions, they reached out to me about missing items.
Thank you for the tips!

Hey! I *think* you're okay. I'm the admin for our FB group and I haven't had anyone ask to join - usually as they fill the incoming cohort, I get lots of add requests. I do know they tend to make very fast decisions due to rolling, though!

That being said, they're sort of going through hell right now - they're trying to figure out how to do safe instruction on the ground for fall, make up in-person labs for all of summer, some of last spring, in addition to the fall courseloads, AND they have a huge (virtual) site visit coming up for our accreditation process (side note, we are 100% on track to be accredited, and my class is already considered accredited so that we can sit for the boards this coming January, so I wouldn't worry about the whole "but they aren't accredited yet" thing). They've been super scrambling the past few weeks so I wouldn't be surprised if admissions decisions are a little slower than usual. I would just try to get everything in as soon as possible!

Facilities are really nice, our building was built specifically for us and the PA program, so everything is super new and modern and all that jazz. Campus itself is also absolutely beautiful, right on the Hudson River. And there's a Starbucks across the street!

let me know if I can help at all!

Thank you so much! I plan to do the deposit no matter what, I'm hoping to apply early to hear back from other schools early, but I really like Marist. I'm from the area which is a big draw for me.
I grew up in Hyde Park, so same, the local thing was a huge attraction. I just wish it weren't so expensive, but moving wasn't an option for me!

Hey! I *think* you're okay. I'm the admin for our FB group and I haven't had anyone ask to join - usually as they fill the incoming cohort, I get lots of add requests. I do know they tend to make very fast decisions due to rolling, though!

That being said, they're sort of going through hell right now - they're trying to figure out how to do safe instruction on the ground for fall, make up in-person labs for all of summer, some of last spring, in addition to the fall courseloads, AND they have a huge (virtual) site visit coming up for our accreditation process (side note, we are 100% on track to be accredited, and my class is already considered accredited so that we can sit for the boards this coming January, so I wouldn't worry about the whole "but they aren't accredited yet" thing). They've been super scrambling the past few weeks so I wouldn't be surprised if admissions decisions are a little slower than usual. I would just try to get everything in as soon as possible!

Facilities are really nice, our building was built specifically for us and the PA program, so everything is super new and modern and all that jazz. Campus itself is also absolutely beautiful, right on the Hudson River. And there's a Starbucks across the street!

let me know if I can help at all!

Hi! You are so sweet to respond & reassure me that I *should* be fine; I went ahead & submitted my application yesterday so they can hopefully process everything until my recs go through. I couldn't imagine trying to figure out how to run a college during a pandemic, so I was pleasantly surprised to already receive an email saying they got my app!

Also, thank you for mentioning the accreditation status! I was a little nervous submitting my application, but the program seems on top of it & mentioned they wanted to add more students to the cohort this year.

I just took a virtual tour, the campus is so pretty!

Thanks

Hi! You are so sweet to respond & reassure me that I *should* be fine; I went ahead & submitted my application yesterday so they can hopefully process everything until my recs go through. I couldn't imagine trying to figure out how to run a college during a pandemic, so I was pleasantly surprised to already receive an email saying they got my app!

Also, thank you for mentioning the accreditation status! I was a little nervous submitting my application, but the program seems on top of it & mentioned they wanted to add more students to the cohort this year.

I just took a virtual tour, the campus is so pretty!

Thanks
Yes, it is absolutely a valid concern, but we haven't had a single problem & we anticipate passing! And they wouldn't have accredited my cohort if there were concerns! (we got accredited separately because covid backed up the overall process, it was a sort of special consideration thing I think so that we can sit for the boards when we graduate)

Good luck! Keep me posted!