"Family-friendly" PM&R Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysiatryMom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question for anyone who may be able to answer. I am currently a 4th year medical student and have applied for the match this coming year in PM&R. Do you know any programs that be not be "family-friendly?" I have a 14 mth old daughter and my husband and I are expecting again in March. I just would like to be aware of any of those programs in case I applied and if I get an interview I can at least be aware and prepared (since I am already in maternity clothes). I want both me AND my family to be happy with the choice I make. I know when I interview I should get a sense of "comfort" if they seem welcoming, but there could be something underlying that I may not know about. Thank you...

Members don't see this ad.

I would think that inpatient heavy programs would not be as friendly, since there would be a gap in the coverage. Similarly, small programs (like three per class) would not be able to accommodate maternity leave as easily. The law is on your side, of course, but there might be undue stress, or inability to take early leave due to prenatal concerns.

Theoretically, a larger program would be better because there are more people to cover. We have a PGY-2 who is getting ready to deliver soon. It does add a little bit of complication to the matters, but in no way should it restrict or limit you to programs where you want to go. My advice, interview at programs, see which ones you like best, rank'em, and the family stuff will work itself out as you go. Pick the program you want regardless.....

NF

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Buddy 2004 for the reply--it is greatly appreciated. However, I will actually have my 2nd baby a few months prior to entering residency so "leave" should not be a problem. I was just more curious about specific program's outlook regarding pregnancy (and already having a family) since I am showing and already in maternity clothes. Thanks...

Thanks to you as well Normalforce-- your input is appreciated. I definitely agree with you regarding going to the place I like the best, as I will have a good impression and feel comfortable with that particular program. I would definitely take into consideration my fellow residents if I were to choose to have another child during residency. Thanks again...

RIC has been a very fertile place lately - in addition to the PGY2 expecting, we have had 3 PGY4s give birth, one more PGY4 about to give birth, and a wife of a PGY4 also about to give birth. We have lots of young faculty members who also had babies as well. The RIC alumni reception at the AAPM&R conference looked like daycare :)

I agree with normalforce - definitely choose a bigger program so if you need to take time off your absence will not be felt so much. Plus - it's nice to have a group of new mothers to socialize with.

Wow, RIC does sound like a fertile place. Thank you so much for your input and support.

My first child is due on Groundhog Day. I was concerned about the whole interviewing while very pregnant thing too, but all my mentors (and my school's PD) have said it shouldn't be an issue as PM&R is much more family-friendly than many fields. Maybe they're saying this to make me feel better, but I trust them. Plus, I don't want to be at a program that is supportive of me only as a resident and not as a person.

My first child is due on Groundhog Day. I was concerned about the whole interviewing while very pregnant thing too, but all my mentors (and my school's PD) have said it shouldn't be an issue as PM&R is much more family-friendly than many fields. Maybe they're saying this to make me feel better, but I trust them. Plus, I don't want to be at a program that is supportive of me only as a resident and not as a person.
Dear Orcami:
Congrats to you (for your soon-to-be motherhood and invites)! I am not due until March 22nd, but I still have worries even though in my interview suit my pregnancy may not be evident. My first interview is at the end of this week and am getting anxious, but I do believe that PM&R seems to be a lot more family-friendly than other specialties. I guess we will find out... If you wish, I can let you know which program(s) seem pro or con just in case you applied to them as well. I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy and the interview season. Motherhood is such a blessing and it is so amazing.