Family friendly residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedPeony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have children and am applying next year and would really appreciate some advice. I'm looking for a program that:

1) has hours that are on the more reasonable side (or at least is not malignant with overworking residents), while still providing excellent training

2) is in a family-friendly city (with good school public school districts)

If you know a program that meets one of both of these criteria, please let me know and I'll add it to my list. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Also would like to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I read the OP, but before reading the responses, the names that came to my mind were literally the first 3 answers. FWIW, I go to a Texas school and those are the programs I've heard recommended by multiple MS4's and current residents who are married w/ kids. Must be something to it since those reputations seem to be consistent.

But like the Original Artwork Leprechaun guy said, most programs are already "family friendly" enough. Location becomes the important factor. The common theme of the above-mentioned 3 programs is that they are all medium-sized, serving a large, pathology-riddled population (good training) but the facilities themselves are more suburban than inner-city (nice place for kids to live, better schools).

Reactions: 1 user
University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Good public schools, walkable areas, lots of summer events. Most of your weekends are off, there's a yearly bonus and you get paid extra for working on the holiday.

I have children and am applying next year and would really appreciate some advice. I'm looking for a program that:

1) has hours that are on the more reasonable side (or at least is not malignant with overworking residents), while still providing excellent training

If you know a program that meets one of both of these criteria, please let me know and I'll add it to my list. Thanks so much!

Rochester - cheap col as most residents can buy houses , good public schools, 55 hours a week.

UVA. Many residents have families, great public schools in Cville, nice weather/hikes.

What if you found place that met this criteria that, but you felt you would be miserable there for whatever reason? Residency is a finite period and you will not be working every weekend at any program. You wont be q3 or 4 for 3 continuous years. I have 2 children (had one just before residency and during residency), and I did just fine and had quality time with my family (I did residency at a place considered malignant on this site in a city that people would not touch with a 10 foot pole).

My advice is chose a place where you think you'll be most happy in a place where you think your spouse will also be content (important). You're going to be out the house during the week more than you will be home. Once residency is done, you'll have total control of your schedule.

Good Luck.

What's family friendly? Less hours? Less stress?

I'm not sure what you are looking for but any compromise will be apparent in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is direct laryngoscopy's acct on hold? It better not be for the above post.

Reactions: 2 users
From my experience on the trail, "family friendly" had less to do with the program policies and more to do with the current residents. Some programs had lots of singles who were very into the night life, others had lots of married residents very into Saturday morning playground time. I don't know if there is a way to predict this other than interviewing.

None of the programs claimed to be NOT "family friendly." I heard a lot of, "even our married residents come out and party with us," versus "we try to get all our kids together when we can." Obviously married residents understand married life better than single residents. It just depends what you're looking for and where you want to be.

PS. Anesthesiology tends to be a "family friendly" specialty... regardless of the program.

Nebraska. I think a fourth of the female faculty and residents/residents wives are pregnant right now. Including me ;) pm me for more details about the program
Wow... 25% of the female staff is pregnant!!!
So... in a few months the non pregnant or non female players are going to get screwed!

I look forward to the time men can have babies and carry on the human race so women can stop being such a drag with this procreation business. Sarcasm.

My post said nothing about delivering children. Seems like you extracted something from my post that wasn't there.

My point is men, like women, are parents, and special consideration shouldn't be given to women, because they are the mother. I understand the fact that women bear and deliver babies (I was taught that in med school, saw a ton of deliveries during residency, and actually saw my wife deliver our own children, sarcasm).

Focus on getting good training and not gender as far as family friendly. Your GME office is their to protect you if you feel you're being singled out if you feel your program is singling you out for being a mother.

Mommy (or daddy) tracks await those who don't want call post residency.

Good luck

And back to my point, residents that are married understand what it is like for a wife/husband to take off of work in order to have a child and likely be more willing/understanding when it comes to picking up extra shifts on the call schedule. Residents far from having children are less likely to show any empathy in this same situation because they simply can't relate. There is such a different feel to residencies with lots of married residents and lots of single residents.

Some programs allow you to plan your months as well (Case-UH for example), and could allow you to plan so that you don't overload the call system while away.

Did anyone mention unequal treatment? I just gave the advice to be aware of program
policies before signing a contract. Why do you have a problem with that?

Bitter much?

Not sure why a select few are acting so hateful in this thread. But it's your problem. What goes on between my program and I regarding my health is between me and them. Same goes for anyone else.

And, for what it's worth, I'm using only already set aside vacation days after my kiddo comes. Unless you now have a problem with people using vacation days too. Jesus Christ.
I don't want to get into another pissing match with you because I'm a guy and you can beat me in a "pissing match". That's a joke!
This is a forum and people are allowed to voice their opinions.
All I did was ask you, " what's the gender difference?" Thats were you pounced. I know you dislike me and that's your perogative. But please try to keep this at a professional level if at all possible.
It is my opinion that choosing a program for its lieniency is like choosing one for lifestyle. You as an anesthesiologist will suffer in the long run. My opinion take it or leave it.
Now, you think I'm bitter about this. Well not exactly because I absolutely adore my female partners. I would not trade them for anyone. But I will tell you that they added a fair amount of stress to my group when they both became pregnant and took the legally and understandable time away from the job. The stress wasn't that the others had to step up to cover the time missed. We were ok with that to a degree. The issue was that people have plans, family trips, family needs, lifestyle plans, the list goes on and on. And we had to either put these plans on hold or hire Locums to cover. We tried to limit locums as much as possible because locums suck in general and they are expensive. But it is unavoidable when 20% of your group is gone.
Now here is the bigger issue. We are employed by the hospital. We are therefore, accountable for our cost. We have a budget. Our administrators devise some bogus budget for anesthesia expenditure for the year. If we go over this budget we must fix it the next year. Locums are expensive. Do you see were I'm going here?
I was asked to come up with a very large sum of money from our group. How am I supposed to handle this? You got any bright ideas?

Now back to the original question. It is my opinion that you should go to the best training program that you can get into. Not that you should choose based on gender or family or location etc. by choosing the best available to you, you will be that much better when you come out and this job will be much easier and your PTS will benefit.

Last edited:
Now here is the bigger issue. We are employed by the hospital. We are therefore, accountable for our cost. We have a budget. Our administrators devise some bogus budget for anesthesia expenditure for the year. If we go over this budget we must fix it the next year. Locums are expensive. Do you see were I'm going here?I was asked to come up with a very large sum of money from our group. How am I supposed to handle this? You got any bright ideas?

This arrangement sounds bogus. Why don't you get the hospital to pay for locums? I agree that good ones are hard to find. Having a couple of good reliable locums is very helpful.

This arrangement sounds bogus. Why don't you get the hospital to pay for locums? I agree that good ones are hard to find. Having a couple of good reliable locums is very helpful.
They do pay for it. The issue is later when we look at the bought it still gets placed on our doorstep.

Seems like only one person was getting worked up. My only points are that residency is a finite period, and choosing it based on if they're touchy feely in regards to family is fool hardy, imo. Things that one should look into a program is if you will happy there, complexity, etc.

I stand by my comments. If you request certain days to be on call, weekend off, etc it shouldn't be preferentially granted because you have children, at the expense of others who do not have pickneys (Man or woman). If all things are equal, the person that requested it first should get it.

SMH.

Reactions: 1 user
Back to the OP - I would recommend UNM, and can also second UVa. Both good family friendly places with many residents being married and having kids