Other OT-Related Information Family in OT School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fairbookworm

Reaction score
My fiancé and I are planning to get married next January. He’s 34 and I’m 28 (29 this October). I’ve been accepted into a cohort for a doctorate program that starts this June. Any thoughts on pregnancy during their time as a student? I’d be 31 when I graduate and was planning on possibly getting pregnant towards the end of my degree. Any thoughts? My mother had a hard time having children and waited too long, so I do kind of worry.

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard, but it happens all the time! Many programs are pretty flexible and will let you take some time off and jump in with the next cohort if needed. I would ask your program about accommodations for pregnancy. Congrats and best wishes!!

Reactions: 1 user
My fiancé and I are planning to get married next January. He’s 34 and I’m 28 (29 this October). I’ve been accepted into a cohort for a doctorate program that starts this June. Any thoughts on pregnancy during their time as a student? I’d be 31 when I graduate and was planning on possibly getting pregnant towards the end of my degree. Any thoughts? My mother had a hard time having children and waited too long, so I do kind of worry.

I'm 29 and just had my first baby. I want another one within a couple of years. I am starting my program this August. The end of the program will most likely be the most intense-- fieldwork level 2 (6 months of full time work under an OT). I would not want to be pregnant during fieldwork. How long is your program? I plan to do the 2 academic years and be pregnant my second year, and then delay fieldwork for 6 months to a year.

I'm 29 and just had my first baby. I want another one within a couple of years. I am starting my program this August. The end of the program will most likely be the most intense-- fieldwork level 2 (6 months of full time work under an OT). I would not want to be pregnant during fieldwork. How long is your program? I plan to do the 2 academic years and be pregnant my second year, and then delay fieldwork for 6 months to a year.
My program is supposed to be OTD. Still waiting to here if that’ll be official or not. They’re waiting on the states approval for curriculum. So it’ll be 3 years long. I’m debating on getting pregnant earlier on in the program, because of the level 2 fieldwork. Some schools work with you, but others not too much. Not sure if I want to delay and then end up not finishing/wanting to come back. My program starts this June.