Family judgement/jealousy after getting accepted to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmd2be2023

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to post to see if anyone has had the same/similar experiences after getting accepted into a doctoral program. I think it's worth noting that I am from a very small, rural town. My family is a low income family and lives "paycheck to paycheck." My family and I have always been pretty close, particularly my brother and I because he is only two years older than me so we have been best friends since childhood. However, once I got accepted to dental school- and ESPECIALLY after I began dental school- the dynamic has unquestionably changed. For quite a while I tried to figure out why my family didn't seem as happy or as proud of me as I expected them to. I'm not an emotional person at all, and generally don't care much about the opinions of others, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't care what my family thinks. Yes, I now live 3 hours from home and see my family significantly less, but I know them well enough to know that there seems to be some sort of jealousy or resentment towards me, and I truly hate to say "jealousy" because that carries a lot of weight, but after thinking about it for several months I'm just not sure what else it could be. I even try to avoid talking about dental school or my future at all costs because it seems to only create tension when I do. If dental school does happen to come up in conversation, my own mother- rather being being encouraging or supportive- constantly reminds me that she never had parents to encourage her to go to college and that she now makes such a small salary that her life is "miserable" which always makes me feel extremely guilty. I served in the army for 4 years in order to help pay for college and, to be quite honest, never received a dime from my family for my education and I have always been totally fine with that. I saw college as my responsibility to figure it out and find a way, which I did. But now I feel like there is some resentment from my family because I will seemingly make significantly more money than anyone in family. I know this is quite a long post, but I felt like including some important details about the socioeconomic status and the "stigma" of where I'm from could help explain the situation a little better. Has anyone dealt with maybe some animosity or maybe even jealousy from family members for "finding a way out" and a better life for themselves?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably a bit different from your situation, but my parents didn't want me to be a dentist, they wanted me to be an engineer. Basically they dictated my choice of undergrad major. In the process my pre dental track, they kept trying to guilt trip me, trying to make me feel as if I were going the wrong direction. In the end, they just accepted it and said if I could make it happen, then good for me.

Tough situation and it will only get worse once you start making “dentist money”. Do your parents expect you to take care of them after you graduate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe your mom is just missing you and taking it out on you. Or maybe she wants acknowledgment that she helped you get to where you are. Maybe try slipping in how much you appreciate her into conversation and see if her attitude changes. I hope it works out!

Reactions: 3 users
Tough situation and it will only get worse once you start making “dentist money”. Do your parents expect you to take care of them after you graduate?
I don't see or talk to my dad very regularly so nothing leads me to believe that he would expect that. I also wouldn't say my mom expects that either, but I do anticipate that she will ask for financial help from time to time. My wife and I have already had several discussions about how to handle that when those times come, but it's going to be tough. I won't mind helping my family out if they truly need it, but I know that if I help out once then it will set a precedent and that's something I won't do.

Probably a bit different from your situation, but my parents didn't want me to be a dentist, they wanted me to be an engineer. Basically they dictated my choice of undergrad major. In the process my pre dental track, they kept trying to guilt trip me, trying to make me feel as if I were going the wrong direction. In the end, they just accepted it and said if I could make it happen, then good for me.
I'm glad to hear that your family ended up supporting your decision. Dentistry is a great career so it's hard to imagine any parent not being okay with their child choosing to pursue it, but everyone is different. My mom was initially a big advocate of me pursuing dental school, and still supports the choice. The dynamic has just changed quite a bit because I almost feel like, in a way, the achievement of me getting into dental school makes her look at her own life in a more negative light. Almost like instead of sharing my achievements like I wish she would, she instead kinda competes with them. And it's the same situation with my brother. It's tough because I have always felts like their accomplishments are my accomplishments as well. My brother has done well for himself and also makes more money than most of my family, but he drives a truck for a living so it's not such a rare feat that it causes any animosity or anything. And I know that sounds bad, but what I mean by that is people that come from what I come from are not supposed to become doctors. If you graduate high school and get a good job and make $70k a year that is the definition of 'making it' for us. So you can imagine that not only being the first in my family to graduate college but also then getting into dental school is almost like winning the lottery where I'm from, it's just not supposed to happen. And so someone who wins the lottery will obviously start to experience some pretty unusual treatment from those close to them.

It’s human nature, it can bring out the worst in us. This is not a phenomenon that is limited to you and your family, but can also happen with childhood friends, your neighbors, your college friends, people you worked with in the past, and even with people in your class at DS. It’s life. Don’t try to understand it too much, you have no control over it. Those who are really happy for you and care about your progress in life will always be there for you - they are the “real” adults in your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
I can relate a little to your situation but definitely not as hard. What I tried to remember was the wise words of Uncle Snoop Dogg. As you grow, you can't expect everyone to grow with you. You will have to leave some people behind if you want to grow further.

Further reading:

I can relate a little to your situation but definitely not as hard. What I tried to remember was the wise words of Uncle Snoop Dogg. As you grow, you can't expect everyone to grow with you. You will have to leave some people behind if you want to grow further.

Further reading:

Very wise words from Snoop indeed lmao. He's right though.

Interesting. I actually wanted to major in chemical engineering or computer science in undergrad because I was very good at math, but my Asian parents always looked down on engineering. They basically guilt trip me into doing dental school with the promise that they would help me out with my tuition. I am never passionate about dentistry, but I know it will give me a good income and I can tolerate it enough to do it for the rest of my life.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to post to see if anyone has had the same/similar experiences after getting accepted into a doctoral program. I think it's worth noting that I am from a very small, rural town. My family is a low income family and lives "paycheck to paycheck." My family and I have always been pretty close, particularly my brother and I because he is only two years older than me so we have been best friends since childhood. However, once I got accepted to dental school- and ESPECIALLY after I began dental school- the dynamic has unquestionably changed. For quite a while I tried to figure out why my family didn't seem as happy or as proud of me as I expected them to. I'm not an emotional person at all, and generally don't care much about the opinions of others, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't care what my family thinks. Yes, I now live 3 hours from home and see my family significantly less, but I know them well enough to know that there seems to be some sort of jealousy or resentment towards me, and I truly hate to say "jealousy" because that carries a lot of weight, but after thinking about it for several months I'm just not sure what else it could be. I even try to avoid talking about dental school or my future at all costs because it seems to only create tension when I do. If dental school does happen to come up in conversation, my own mother- rather being being encouraging or supportive- constantly reminds me that she never had parents to encourage her to go to college and that she now makes such a small salary that her life is "miserable" which always makes me feel extremely guilty. I served in the army for 4 years in order to help pay for college and, to be quite honest, never received a dime from my family for my education and I have always been totally fine with that. I saw college as my responsibility to figure it out and find a way, which I did. But now I feel like there is some resentment from my family because I will seemingly make significantly more money than anyone in family. I know this is quite a long post, but I felt like including some important details about the socioeconomic status and the "stigma" of where I'm from could help explain the situation a little better. Has anyone dealt with maybe some animosity or maybe even jealousy from family members for "finding a way out" and a better life for themselves?

I have dealt with situations similar to yours. My best advice is always be humble around your family, but respectfully know that you are where you need to be in dental school. They are going to go through an adjustment period where they will slowly recognise you more as the adult you are supposed to be, it will just take time.

I would just say that in conversations, try to not talk about dental school too much as you know it makes them uncomfortable. Allow them to bring it up if they would like and when you answer, try to not drone on about your response, keep it brief until they want to talk more.

It’s all part of adjusting to your new role. I still don’t know if my parents will ever really see me as a doctor lol. They always see you as you were, but it’ll change.

I am never passionate about dentistry, but I know it will give me a good income and I can tolerate it enough to do it for the rest of my life.

Damn so you fooled the Adcoms lol

Damn so you fooled the Adcoms lol
Lol yes I did, just like the majority of dental students. Like seriously, who is passionate about teeth? Like I said in another post around here, with good stats you're basically in already. Don't try to stand out too much on interview day, just give the standard cookie-cutter answers to their questions ("Why dentistry?" - to help people blablabla) and you'll be admitted.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
You lose the passion for dentistry in DS the second you touch a denture.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
You lose the passion for dentistry in DS the second you touch a denture.
I’m doing my 1st CD/CD case right now, can’t agree more. After 3 try-in appointments, the faculty finally thinks it is decent enough to be sent out to lab. I sealed it down to the cast, festooned and sent it out. Lab tech doesn’t think it’s good enough and sent it back, demanding that I re-set the teeth. Fml. My dental school life would be much much happier if I don’t have to do these damn dentures.

It's unfortunate that you have to go through those circumstances, especially if you're used to needing/having family support. You have two primary options, either help them out when you make it or cut them out. If you help them out, it's a hit or miss on whether they will appreciate you for it. You need to think what your primary objectives are. If those people are like that already, you will essentially be trying to buy their love. I've had that talk with my mom before about hard work, etc... and my response? I worked hard to get out of this hell hole and not become like you. Thank you for showing me why I need to move up. Now, if you feel a duty to help your parents out, then so be it. Even if it was mandated by law that they keep you alive for 18 years, it still cost them x amount of resources to do so. I help my parents out by giving them a few k/month+ F/J flights to whereever they want to go. It's the least I can do for not aborting me, giving me away, or killing me (and supporting my basic needs).

With my siblings, it's different. They are old, but not that old. They can still work and I believed in giving them the opportunity to succeed. I gave them a sizable investment and told them, make it work. If you succeed, then great, if you can't make it work, then it's your own damn fault and good luck in life. In essence, don't f*** it up and prove your worthiness.

Maybe these formulas could help you in what to do with your siblings. If they still treat you like crap, then in the very least, you've done what you can... or you can say f*** it, I don't owe you anything. Helping them guarantees nothing in the current dynamics of your relationship.

I’m doing my 1st CD/CD case right now, can’t agree more. After 3 try-in appointments, the faculty finally thinks it is decent enough to be sent out to lab. I sealed it down to the cast, festooned and sent it out. Lab tech doesn’t think it’s good enough and sent it back, demanding that I re-set the teeth. Fml. My dental school life would be much much happier if I don’t have to do these damn dentures.

Your goal in your professional life should be to have a practice so successful, that you never have to do a denture ever again. I am lucky in that I don't have to do any partials and we've gotten to the point where I've phased out temp flippers for implants (we got temporary maryland bridges now). Once you have a practice where you don't have to touch acrylic, make any adjustments, fabricate a prosthetic, have long unwinding chats with lonely populations, your dental practice/work life will be a lot easier to work with.

So.. to correct your last statement:

"My dental school life would be much much happier if I don’t have to do any these damn dentures."

My mom once told me pursuing dentistry was a waste of time and money, and that I should be an accountant. Joke’s on her! Now that I’m a dentist, I can afford to live in a small shared apartment and shop at the Dollar Tree! Now she never second guesses my financial decisions