1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

family med as an intern year

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by wasatch, May 12, 2007.

1. wasatch

wasatch Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hello, I am starting my first year as a family medicine resident. I am interested in applying to Neurology for next year though. I know that Anesthesiology will allow family medicine as a intern year, is it the same for Neurology?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wait a minute. I thought that you were applying to PM&R

4. Nerdoscience

Nerdoscience Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Scoping out the options, huh?

You need 6 months of internal medicine in your intern year for Neurology, period. This is part of 8 months of Inerrnal medicine/peds/ER that is required.

5. wasatch

wasatch Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

You are correct, I am thinking of applying to both. I am interested in finding out which type of residency would train me the best to apply for a Pain management fellowship. I had a lot of fun in my neurology rotation as a 4th year. I have yet to do any time in PM&R, although I think the concepts learned in a PM&R residency would be very helpful prior to a Pain Fellowship.

Thx

6. Nerdoscience

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    My personal opinion is that physiatry is the way to go there. Many PM+R programs will even give you experience with pain clinics. However, there are some advantages to going into pain from any direction (anesthesia, neuro, pm+r, etc).

7. wasatch

wasatch Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Thank you for the information. I am starting my pgy-1 year in family this year. So, it looks like I will only have access to PM&R and anesthesiology...of course the new rules are that family physicians, internal medicine, and several other residencies are now eligible for the fellowship now. Problem is that there are too many organizational issues right now...such as accrediting and so on to safely say a family graduate would be competitive as an applicant.

8. ariwax

ariwax Pocketful of DNR's
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    No, you can do neuro too. I am finishing up my PGY-1 year in an FP program now, and I matched to neuro. The only thing is, you need to tweak your schedule to include 6 months of inpatient IM and at least two months of ER and/or Peds, with no more than two months of neuro. (I made my intetions clear to my PD before I even started my internship, and he was extremely supportive.) The requirements can be found on the ABPN's website.

9. Nerdoscience

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    This is true -- but not all FP programs can accomodate you. The same goes for transitional years, though they are a little more accomodating.

10. ariwax

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    That is definitely true. Though technically most (if not all) programs COULD accommodate you, I would would say few program directors WOULD accommodate you. I just happened upon an FP program (through the scramble) with the nicest PD ever. From his perspective, he wants his residents to be happy and has no interest in screwing anybody or forcing them to stay in a field they are not passionate about. Needless to say, not all PD's would be this supportive.

11. mercury1980

mercury1980 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi!

I am currently starting a FP internship and was also considering neuro. In order to get a PGY-2 position, do u have to go thru the match like we do for the internship? How do ppl usually work out interviews and stuff into their tight internship schedule?

12. OB/Gyn Kenobi

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The match is for 2008-2009 this year. You essentially missed the match for 2007/2008. Positions do open up, though. If you are going to wait a year, or if you need to do a medicine internship, then you'll have to figure out how to find time off to interview. This may require using up a lot of vacation and personal days.

13. ariwax

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yes, finding time to interview this past year was difficult - it required trading calls, kissing a$$, and being lucky. All in all, I found time for eight interviews and landed at my top choice. This during a three-month block of medicine floors, surgery, and ICU. So as far as that goes, if I could swing it, anybody probably could.

14. pnds

Medical Student
    Hi! saw you were wavering neuro and PM&R. Could you share some thoughts of the benefit of PM&R? I have not found much info supporting salaries, career outlook etc. A neurologist said that she would do PM&R if she were to do it over because it was "easier". Also do neurologist have high malpractice insurance?