10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2007
Resident [Any Field]

I wanted to run my plan by those with more knowledge and make sure I am not missing anything.

I am a US Citizen married to a Canadian and will have Canadian permanent residency status around Nov 2014 (we are submitting our application this week). I will graduate from a US MD (LCME) school in 2015. I have decent grades and scores (i.e., top half of class).

I want to apply to Family Medicine at UBC. I will apply in the Canadian track. Per my reading, I don't need my Canadian PR proof until I submit my CaRMS match list -- right?

When would I write the MCCEE (if I matched at UBC)?

Will they take my application seriously? Do I need to rotate there as a student?



CdnNurse (ret.)
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2005
Academic Administration
? you will graduate from a US medical school and you ask about the MCC EE?
best if you visit the MCC website and find out what the MCC EE is for.


7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2009
Attending Physician
Kind of complicated situation.
The good news if you are a LCME graduate you don't have to do the MCCEE. You just do the MCCQ1 in final year medical school and MCCQ2 after residency. In fact the USMLE is accepted as equivalent in BC so US grads don't even have to write the MCCQ1 or MCCQ2.
The bad news includes:y
You will limit yourself: A Canadian FM residency is only 2 years and a US FM is 3 years. Therefore your Canadian residency won't be recognized by the American Board ABFM as a residency and you can't be Board Certified in the US. If you are not Board Certified in the US then US insurance companies/US Government/US GME programs won't recognize you. You wont' be able to work in the US as say you're Board Certified. If you're interested in working for the Peace Corps, US Department of State, VA system, US Military Active/Reserve, CDC Prevention....you won't be able to with just a Canadian Residency.
Many Canadian Medical Students domestic/Canadian IMG's want to go to UBC for residency. Vancouver is considered the "California" of Canada and many medical students migrate there wanting to do residency. The competition is fierce.
It might be a better opportunity for you to do a US FM residency first to keep your options open. Maybe in Washington State. Then get your medical licence in BC after. The BC College accepts the USMLE for licensure so you don't in fact have to take the MCCQ1 or MCCQ2.
Last edited: