Family med to psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelvinWayne

Reaction score
Had to soap into a family medicine after failing to match to a psych program this year. Am planning to reapply next cycle but am worried the funding issue will hold me back. Does anyone know of any successful stories of a family med to psych specialty switch? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I suspect it may be easier to complete FM, and then do Psych after. If you get 2 months neurology, and use your ~3 or so electives over the three years in FM, you might be able to negotiate yourself in as a PGY-II in a psych program, with some customization in rotation schedule. In otherwords you'll be doing the PGY-I inpatient month catch up as a PGY-II, and you might lose out on some of your psych electives.

Just an idea.

Totally disagree with above advice. Many psych programs offer openings for people to switch in as a pgy-2, with the completion of an intern year in medicine/family/obgyn etc. They want people early in the training process and the way funding works for residency, the less funded years you've completed the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that Sushirolls's advice is totally misguided. Many psych programs have openings in each year, even PGY-1, that crop up throughout the year. I knew of several people who either switched into or transferred psych residencies early in first year. Just start emailing a bunch of programs early saying you are interested and if something happens with one of their residents they may call you up and sign you.

I agree that Sushirolls's advice is totally misguided. Many psych programs have openings in each year, even PGY-1, that crop up throughout the year.

I wouldn't say "totally misguided," depending on what the person wants, though I suspect most psychiatry-hopefuls wouldn't be interested in completing FM cause they don't want to be FM doctors and don't want to spend some years in extra training.

Switching residencies is very unorthodox. There isn't exactly any specific right way to do it for most people though I would think the latter 2 posts would be more helpful for more people.

A switch may be possible but this is my understanding: you match to a 3 year program you get rated for 3 years of funding through CMS for GME. Programs are less likely to want a PGY-II and only get 2 years of funding in psychiatry - leaving one year unfunded.

If you match say in psychiatry with 4 years of funding, then switch to family medicine it won't be an issue, because its less years.

This is why, from my understanding, its better to go from a transitional year or prelim year to Psychiatry PGY-II because it doesn't impact the GME funding years.

My understanding may be completely wrong in the GME funding through CMS. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A switch may be possible but this is my understanding: you match to a 3 year program you get rated for 3 years of funding through CMS for GME. Programs are less likely to want a PGY-II and only get 2 years of funding in psychiatry - leaving one year unfunded.

If you match say in psychiatry with 4 years of funding, then switch to family medicine it won't be an issue, because its less years.

This is why, from my understanding, its better to go from a transitional year or prelim year to Psychiatry PGY-II because it doesn't impact the GME funding years.

My understanding may be completely wrong in the GME funding through CMS. Correct me if I'm wrong.
AFAIK you are correct when it comes to GME funding but at the same time I've heard some people say that it also doesn't really matter (program dependent, most likely.)

Switch ASAP. Funding is key. You still have 2 years of funding. I am done with psych wanting to do FP. Many psych residencies have residents leave 3rd year to do child or other reasons.
PS If you do switch I would love a pm to the name of your current program who will be looking for a PGY 2, I did a medicine year. I am pretty far out from med school but will be doing volunteer work at a primary care clinic. I could technically start as a PGY 1. Go for it, look on the SOAP thread for psych programs looking for a resident either PGY 1 or PGY 2. Be a great resident at your program for letters and who knows, maybe you will fall in love with FP and realize it's actually fr yu.
Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user