family practice in US to GP in UK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ludeym

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if the UK looks favorably on US trained board certified family practitioners (4 yrs undergraduate, 4 yrs med school, 3 yrs residency) when applying to become GPs there? The application costs 1200 pounds and I'd like to know what generally happens, acceptance or more mandated training?

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know if the UK looks favorably on US trained board certified family practitioners (4 yrs undergraduate, 4 yrs med school, 3 yrs residency) when applying to become GPs there? The application costs 1200 pounds and I'd like to know what generally happens, acceptance or more mandated training?

US Board of Family Practice agreement with the UK

Submit an application here if you wish to be registered as a GP in the UK -> I do believe they accept US, Canadian, and Australian training programs. If not, they may make you sit an exam and/or do 1 year of supervised practice possibly.

Good Luck!

US Board of Family Practice agreement with the UK

Submit an application here if you wish to be registered as a GP in the UK -> I do believe they accept US, Canadian, and Australian training programs. If not, they may make you sit an exam and/or do 1 year of supervised practice possibly.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the Info Dr. M, but this is a paragraph plucked from the website and is a bit puzzling:

Royal Australian College of General Practitioners

Physicians who are fellows of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners may apply to sit for the American Board of Family Medicine Certification Examination if they:

* are members in good standing of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners;
* have completed the Royal Australian College of General Practice Training Program;
* reside in the United States;
* hold a valid and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the United States; and,
* are actively involved in Family Medicine in the United States.

- How does one go about practising medicine in the US (and unrestricted practise at that) without a US training program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the Info Dr. M, but this is a paragraph plucked from the website and is a bit puzzling:

Physicians who are fellows of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners may apply to sit for the American Board of Family Medicine Certification Examination if they:

* are members in good standing of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners;
* have completed the Royal Australian College of General Practice Training Program;
* hold a valid and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the United States; and,

- How does one go about practising medicine in the US (and unrestricted practise at that) without a US training program?

That's a very good question. Only thing I can think of is if you pass your USMLE and obtain ECMFG certification, then you are either accepted to complete a fellowship year, or if you are invited to work as a faculty member.. then, possibly you would be eligible. Better to contact the ABFM and ask directly... but that is my best guess. :thumbup:

US FP to UK GP is a very difficult move to make. The UK does not recognise US or Canadian training. Also, the post-grad education system in the UK is a mess right now - they're still trying to fix it.

First, you need to be able to work in the UK. Next, you need to be registered with the GMC, which will probably mean taking the PLAB, parts 1 and 2. At this point you will be able to apply for SHO posts.

You can apply to the PMETB for a CEGPR (article 11), which will cost 1200 pounds, $2400. If they approve your US residency training you may be given exemption from the PLAB.

The problem is that they won't approve it. You will be told that you need to complete between 3 to 12 months additional training - in the UK. Here's where is get difficult. To be able to apply for the extra training you'll now need to pass the PLAB if you didn't take it before.

You will then need to apply through the National GP recruitment training scheme for a 6 or 12 month post - applications are processed twice a year with a process that includes a written exam, a set of essay questions, and interviews. A bit like applying to residency here - except a lot tougher because primary care in the UK is very competitive. And because you'll be looking for a "PGY3" position the competition will be even tougher - very few positions and a huge number of applicants. I have seen the stats out there somewhere.

If this is a move you see as permanent due to marriage etc, then I would advise trying to get registered in Ireland as a GP - you would then be given automatic recognition in the UK through EU law. Rumour is that Ireland is about to amend the rules for IMG's that will allow Americans to easily work there. If you're interested then get in touch with www.locumotion.com

Links:

http://www.gprecruitment.org.uk/
http://www.pmetb.org.uk/
http://www.rcgp.org.uk/
http://www.gmc-uk.org/
http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/plab/index.asp
http://www.medicalcouncil.ie/

The paragraph you quoted seems to only pertain to requirements for taking the board certification exam. Rights and priviliges to practice medicine in the US are state specific and are unrelated to board certification status.

The paragraph you quoted seems to only pertain to requirements for taking the board certification exam. Rights and priviliges to practice medicine in the US are state specific and are unrelated to board certification status.

Correct, to obtain a state license to practice medicine you must complete 1-3 years of ACGME accredited training.

However, considering the American Board does "recognise" Canadian, UK, and Australian/New Zealand FP/GP training to be equivalent. The question now is, will a state board of medicine also consider a (Canadian, UK, and Australian/NZ) "residency" to be equivalent to a US ACGME FP residency and allow you obtain a state license to practice without having to complete an additional 2-3 years of ACGME residency.

Correct, to obtain a state license to practice medicine you must complete 1-3 years of ACGME accredited training.

However, considering the American Board does "recognise" Canadian, UK, and Australian/New Zealand FP/GP training to be equivalent. The question now is, will a state board of medicine also consider a (Canadian, UK, and Australian/NZ) "residency" to be equivalent to a US ACGME FP residency and allow you obtain a state license to practice without having to complete an additional 2-3 years of ACGME residency.

At least in California where I live, the state medical board appears to consider RCPSC (Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada) as equivalent to ACGME accredited programs. Presumably someone who completed a RCPSC program would be allowed to obtain licensure in California without any additional training. This appears only applicable to RCPSC programs and not any from the UK/Austrailia.

At least in California where I live, the state medical board appears to consider RCPSC (Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada) as equivalent to ACGME accredited programs. Presumably someone who completed a RCPSC program would be allowed to obtain licensure in California without any additional training. This appears only applicable to RCPSC programs and not any from the UK/Austrailia.

I suppose the only thing to do would be to ask each state board of medicine.

If they accept Royal College of GP in Canada training, then why not Royal College of Australia considering that the American Board of FP recognizes the training as equivalent! :thumbup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Board_of_Family_Medicine

Canadian programs are not accredited by ACGME either. They simply recognise the training by an "agreement" that they are equal, I don't see why the state boards can't have this same agreement with Australia seeing as they are equivalent programs in 1st world english speaking countries, etc, etc. (and with backing from the American Board of FP) If they say no, ask why not! Then ask them to demonstrate how the Australian programs are deficient compared to the Canadian programs :)

You'd think they'd want as many FP/GPs as they can get...

I suppose the only thing to do would be to ask each state board of medicine.

If they accept Royal College of GP in Canada training, then why not Royal College of Australia considering that the American Board of FP recognizes the training as equivalent! :thumbup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Board_of_Family_Medicine

Canadian programs are not accredited by ACGME either. They simply recognise the training by an "agreement" that they are equal, I don't see why the state boards can't have this same agreement with Australia seeing as they are equivalent programs in 1st world english speaking countries, etc, etc. (and with backing from the American Board of FP) If they say no, ask why not! Then ask them to demonstrate how the Australian programs are deficient compared to the Canadian programs :)

You'd think they'd want as many FP/GPs as they can get...

The weird thing is that the Canadian family medicine program is only 2 years - how can it be equivalent to the American one? This sort of problem causes trouble for American residents in Canada, I'm not sure why it doesn't do the same for Canadian GPs in the US.

The weird thing is that the Canadian family medicine program is only 2 years - how can it be equivalent to the American one? This sort of problem causes trouble for American residents in Canada, I'm not sure why it doesn't do the same for Canadian GPs in the US.

Odd.. because the Australian programs are at least 3 years (4 if you count the required internship year).

The GP training program in Australia is more than equivalent to the American programs.. and they really need GPs in the states, so I don't see what the problem would be.