Family Practice rotation required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdomingo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a 4th year med student now in the process of applying to residencies... just wondering if anyone knows of any states which require a Family Practice rotation in order to obtain state licensure and begin residency. I've heard through the grapevine that both Texas and California do... anywhere else??

Thanks for your help! Good luck to all :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

rdomingo said:
Hey all,

I'm a 4th year med student now in the process of applying to residencies... just wondering if anyone knows of any states which require a Family Practice rotation in order to obtain state licensure and begin residency. I've heard through the grapevine that both Texas and California do... anywhere else??

I have no idea about licensure, but I'm required to take 1mo of FP as a third year and 1mo as a 4th year at a med school in Texas.

rdomingo said:
Hey all,

We've discussed this issue at least twice in the past several months. I looked at the California regs. They require a certain amount of training in FP, but to my investigation, not a specific rotation. Whether what you have done at your school qualifies, I do not know. Sounds like something to talk to your dean of undergraduate medical education.

My school does not have FP rotations. I find it hard to believe that no one from the University of Rochester can get licensed in California.

Ed