This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxwell'sHouse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finding myself drawn to family practice. Specifically, a procedure emphasis with ob in a rural area. I have seen a few residency rograms (JPS in Ft Worth and Texas A&M) which have a strong focus on OB including primary surgeon on C-sections. The website boasts at least 50 c-sections and hundreds of vaginal deliveries for each resident. At A&M there is an option to extend to a 4-year program to focus exclusively on OB the final year.

My question is for current family practice physicians and ob/gyn's. What is your opinion on family practice doctors with cesarean privileges? Also, what could a ballpark salary be for a small private practice family doctor who practices OB and also for an employed physician. I plan on practicing in Texas.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like 50 isn't enough to be competent in belly surgery, wo prior surgical experience...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If OP wants to live in a rural area there is more opportunity for a FM/OB

I am finding myself drawn to family practice. Specifically, a procedure emphasis with ob in a rural area. I have seen a few residency rograms (JPS in Ft Worth and Texas A&M) which have a strong focus on OB including primary surgeon on C-sections. The website boasts at least 50 c-sections and hundreds of vaginal deliveries for each resident. At A&M there is an option to extend to a 4-year program to focus exclusively on OB the final year.

My question is for current family practice physicians and ob/gyn's. What is your opinion on family practice doctors with cesarean privileges? Also, what could a ballpark salary be for a small private practice family doctor who practices OB and also for an employed physician. I plan on practicing in Texas.

If you have good hand eye and willing to learn you can do just fine. Rural South Arkansas pays better than Texas and has more need. I am a family doctor who has been doing ob and gyn since I got out of medical school in 1980 but things were different then (family practice was in its infancy and all doctors here in south AR were expected to do gallbladders, c sections, hysterectomies, bowel resections, orthopedics, etc. so times have changed). The older doctors taught me more than I ever learned in school and you can find a few old dinosaurs still around here, just not too many who like electronic records.
[email protected]

As far as I know, only very rural areas and the military are allowing FM docs the credentialing to do c-sections.

To those asking why not go OB/GYN, FM-OB docs still see a ton of normal clinic or do inpatient medicine on top of OB. Again, this is becoming very rare outside of rural areas and the military. My experience in the army has shown that there still are some full scope FM physicians doing it all.