Family Reaction to DO Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To all the above posters: I've done all my education debt-free (including attending multiple expensive, private schools). I've payed out of pocket for everything.
I've had to take my career stepwise because of that, working at age 15 to pay for an AA that I used to get a better job that I used to pay for an ADN to get an RN license and job, then a BSN, then using my BSN to pay for premed...

Where there is a will, there is a way. If you're hungry enough, stuff won't stop you. Would it have been great if I would have gotten a travel stipend to do all these interview trips? Sure, but I don't expect that sort of thing from anyone. I use PTO from my job that I've saved for half a decade just for such a purpose.

Being an underdog is just makes each victory along the way sweeter.

(That's my 0.02 anyway, ymmv)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
To all the above posters: I've done all my education debt-free (including attending multiple expensive, private schools). I've payed out of pocket for everything.
I've had to take my career stepwise because of that, working at age 15 to pay for an AA that I used to get a better job that I used to pay for an ADN to get an RN license and job, then a BSN, then using my BSN to pay for premed...

Where there is a will, there is a way. If you're hungry enough, stuff won't stop you. Would it have been great if I would have gotten a travel stipend to do all these interview trips? Sure, but I don't expect that sort of thing from anyone. I use PTO from my job that I've saved for half a decade just for such a purpose.

Being an underdog is just makes each victory along the way sweeter.

(That's my 0.02 anyway, ymmv)
Where there is a will there is a way. Similarily, i* did what i* had to do after high school to secure funding for college. I* had no way to pay for living and college, so i* joined the military and after my service was provided with outstanding educational benefits. It may be easier for some than others, but there is a way.

As long as it's not an ND after your name, DO or MD is fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're at the age of becoming independent; medical school is all about you and your future. To be honest, who cares how family reacts?

At the end of the day, your family will love you no matter what you choose. They will also be your biggest fans/supporters

I guess I’m fortunate to have parents who understand the conditions attached with going DO. Their support could be the result of receiving exceptional care from DO physicians in the past. My extended family is split between two camps: “doctor is doctor is doctor” and “doctor = MD”. This is mostly due to lack of familiarity with the profession (I’m a 1st gen in the medical field). It’s going to be an educational Thanksgiving weekend!

When I shared news of my acceptance with my grandparents, one of them commented, “That’s nice...but why not ____ (MD) school?” It can be annoying for a minute. But really there aren’t enough negative vibes to deflate my passion. There comes a point where one needs to find peace with and accept the facts and truths that go along with the path. And listen amusedly to opinions. In the end, what do you want?

OP, keep holding your head up. I hope you find the $$ for your deposit! You’ve beat the odds up to this point and have achieved nothing short of a statistical miracle — medical school acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
If you're so cash-strapped that buying even the cheapest laptop on the market is not feasible, medicine probably isn't the wisest career.
I think I'm missing the correlation here

Reactions: 1 user
One of my parents is a nurse and they at first didnt really get what a DO meant. Then they started looking out for those initials at the large university medical center they work for and realized that a lot of their favorite residences and attendings to work with were and had been DOs.

It's unfortunate that their is a stigma to a certain degree but it really doesnt mean anything it actuality. You're going to be a full fledged dr. Work hard and you'll get a great residency in what you want somewhere.

But know that you prob will continue to run into this stigma on occasion from people who dont know better. But ultimately who cares?

I think I'm missing the correlation here
Mountains of debt can be very crippling. If you're just barely struggling to scrape by, it may be wiser to first get your finances in order first.

Last edited:
McDonalds has WiFi.

If you're so cash-strapped that buying even the cheapest laptop on the market is not feasible, medicine probably isn't the wisest career. The best option would be a career where you have minimal debt but lots of earning potential out of the gate such as engineering. People have to balance passion with reality. On the other hand, where there's a will, there's a way. Check this out: Who needs motivation?

Disclaimer: Take everything I say with a grain of NaCl since I'm still a humble pre-med.

Thanks for sharing the inspiring post! :)

A lot of people don't know how difficult it is to get into ANY med school. When the subject of DO vs MD among laymen arises, I always use this phrase: You have more chances of getting into Harvard LAW school (~10% chance) than to ANY med school (~2-3% chance). Of course it's a little exaggerated but they get the point really quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else get pretty lukewarm reactions from loved ones who aren’t familiar with the DO path and think you’ve basically been accepted to a sub-par med school? :unsure: I am excited to have been accepted to NSU and am confident I would get a solid education there. I prefer a couple specific MD programs where I interviewed, so I’m waiting to hear back from them, but at the end of the day it’s about fit, not DO or MD, right?
My parents were horrifically disappointed, and said I would walk in the shadow of their shame for the rest of my life. I doubled down and went for psych and they never spoke to me again.

Really though, they were a bit iffy about bone wizardry but they warmed up to it pretty quickly, as they didn't even really know the difference, and looking into it found out a few of the doctors they'd been seeing over the years were DOs all along, they just never even knew to ask.

Reactions: 9 users
Mountains of debt can be very crippling. If you're just barely struggling to scrape by, it may be wiser to first get your finances in order first.
Finances enough in order to pay for 4 years of medical school? Most people use loans for everything in medical school lol. I don't think the inability to spend $300 on a laptop for a soon-to-be medical student is indicative of failure in medical school or future troubles with budgeting. Most people I know in college/fresh out of college don't have $300 lying around.

Reactions: 1 users
Finances enough in order to pay for 4 years of medical school? Most people use loans for everything in medical school lol. I don't think the inability to spend $300 on a laptop for a soon-to-be medical student is indicative of failure in medical school or future troubles with budgeting. Most people I know in college/fresh out of college don't have $300 lying around.

Debt is just one of the many things to consider especially when deciding between schools. Of course, having debt doesn't indicate failure in medical school not is it necessarily a reflection on the character of the student, and no where did I suggest that. I did say that it means potential for greater financial difficulty.

In some cases, taking a loan out is justifiable as an investment in education with expected greater return on investment. But it is always wise to minimize loans and debt as much as reasonable. I see you're accepted to medical schools so congrats. That means you're more likely to be able to pay off any debt since you may be a doctor someday. But there have been numerous instances of students that decided to go to the highest end colleges only to graduate with mountains of debt and no way to pay it off. I'm only suggesting that people be extremely cautious about taking on debt.

Last edited:
Costs is just one of the many things to consider. Of course, it doesn't indicate failure in medical school and no where did I suggest that. I did say that it means potential for greater financial difficulty.
I highly doubt an extra $300 is going to give anyone peace of mind given that they'll more than likely be $200k in debt in 4 years. $200,000 vs $199,700 in debt is pretty neglibible.

Edit: I didn't see the second part of your post originally. I do agree that minimizing debt is a good idea.

I guess I’m fortunate to have parents who understand the conditions attached with going DO. Their support could be the result of receiving exceptional care from DO physicians in the past. My extended family is split between two camps: “doctor is doctor is doctor” and “doctor = MD”. This is mostly due to lack of familiarity with the profession (I’m a 1st gen in the medical field). It’s going to be an educational Thanksgiving weekend!

When I shared news of my acceptance with my grandparents, one of them commented, “That’s nice...but why not ____ (MD) school?” It can be annoying for a minute. But really there aren’t enough negative vibes to deflate my passion. There comes a point where one needs to find peace with and accept the facts and truths that go along with the path. And listen amusedly to opinions. In the end, what do you want?

OP, keep holding your head up. I hope you find the $$ for your deposit! You’ve beat the odds up to this point and have achieved nothing short of a statistical miracle — medical school acceptance.

Wise, kind and relatable words! :) Thank you!

I am really enjoying the financial debate. Regardless of differences in beliefs, it’s clear we’ve got a bunch of sharp and eloquent doctors-to-be in here! It’s inspiring that some people are able to make med school happen in spite of the odds. I certainly feel thankful that I was able to earn a full scholarship to college and come out with zero debt because some organizations and private parties believed in me (my clinical rotations instructor nominated me for a hospital scholarship, and that funded my freshman year housing) and because I worked while in school. I suppose it would have been possible to take out loans (though you have to be approved for those!) and work to pay them off for years (though you need certification/education for a good job!) or sign myself away to aggressive State forces in exchange for a good education (controversial, but indeed, some people are strongly anti-war and their moral values conflict with military participation, violent or not) but I’m deeply grateful that I didn’t haven’t to. I respect those who are willing to make those kinds of sacrifices in addition to all that’s required to become a doctor. Truly exceptional people. I just think it’s okay for people to take different routes to the medical professions, and external funding can ultimately cement the difference between Doctor and Not Doctor for some. I think this discussion has helped me realize that if I can become a doctor and be in the financial and social position to coordinate philanthropic efforts, I would love to start a fund for aspiring doctors, helping them pay for basic computers, test prep materials, and travel expenses. It’s not that they’re (presently I, lol) entitled to it. It’s just a nice thing to do.

Last edited:
I highly doubt an extra $300 is going to give anyone peace of mind given that they'll more than likely be $200k in debt in 4 years. $200,000 vs $199,700 in debt is pretty neglibible.

Edit: I didn't see the second part of your post originally. I do agree that minimizing debt is a good idea.
Woops. Looks like I've hijacked a thread again. I've got to stop doing that... sorry OP. But yes, I see your point.

Wise, kind and relatable words! :) Thank you!

I am really enjoying the financial debate. Regardless of differences in beliefs, it’s clear we’ve got a bunch of sharp and eloquent doctors-to-be in here! It’s inspiring that some people are able to make med school happen in spite of the odds. I certainly feel thankful that I was able to earn a full scholarship to college and come out with zero debt because some organizations and private parties believed in me (my clinical rotations instructor nominated me for a hospital scholarship, and that funded my freshman year housing) and because I worked while in school. I suppose it would have been possible to take out loans (though you have to be approved for those!) and work to pay them off for years (though you need certification/education for a good job!) or sign myself away to aggressive State forces in exchange for a good education (controversial, but indeed, some people are strongly anti-war and their ethical values conflict with military participation, violent or not) but I’m deeply grateful that I didn’t haven’t to. I respect those who are willing to make those kinds of sacrifices in addition to all that’s required to become a doctor. Truly exceptional people. I just think it’s okay for people to take different routes to the medical professions, and external funding can ultimately cement the difference between Doctor and Not Doctor for some. I think this discussion has helped me realize that if I can become a doctor and be in the financial and social position to coordinate philanthropic efforts, I would love to start a fund for aspiring doctors, helping them pay for basic computers, test prep materials, and travel expenses. It’s not that they’re (presently I, lol) entitled to it. It’s just a nice thing to do.

Sounds like a great idea. AACOM and AAMC already has fee waivers. Maybe some generous donor could help start a fund that provides the materials you suggested at reduced or no cost.

As for my plans for paying the deposit (in case anyone is curious or in a similar situation), I’m starting to sell some of my belongings. I have like 12 Next Step MCAT books and the 7-book Kaplan set, and since I’ve been accepted, I won’t be retaking the MCAT and won’t have use for the books. I’m guessing I could make $250 on all the books together if I sell smart—people aren’t always open to used prep materials, and I marked up every CARS passage in pen. Next, I have a decent beginner’s drum set I could possibly sell with all hardware and cymbals + a nice throne included for $400-450 (goodbye drumming career—meet you again at my midlife crisis). I have a non-functional PS2 I could try to get $30 for (probably just need to replace the laser based on how it’s acting), a bike I can probably sell for $50, and a savings account with $300 I could just wipe out if I have to (it seems sadly necessary right now). The rest or whatever is left from what I can’t sell will have to come from my tiny checking account+paycheck, and I’ll eat canned and frozen food for the next few weeks.

Woops. Looks like I've hijacked a thread again. I've got to stop doing that... sorry OP. But yes, I see your point.
You’re totally fine! You’ve offered a very practical and interesting point to an educational discussion. *salute*

Sounds like a great idea. AACOM and AAMC already has fee waivers. Maybe some generous donor could help start a fund that provides the materials you suggested at reduced or no cost.

Thanks! It’s definitely a thought/passion to keep in mind for after I have a good income. For some reason even though my mother makes $14k annually and I make about $16k after taxes, I didn’t qualify for the waivers. They require you to be extremely far below the poverty line (not just below it, which I am), which doesn’t account for how families choose to spend their money outside the applicant, living expenses, etc. I think the fee waivers could definitely be more liberally granted to more ethical ends.

Last edited:
As for my plans for paying the deposit (in case anyone is curious or in a similar situation), I’m starting to sell some of my belongings. I have like 12 Next Step MCAT books and the 7-book Kaplan set, and since I’ve been accepted, I won’t be retaking the MCAT and won’t have use for the books. I’m guessing I could make $250 on all the books together if I sell smart—people aren’t always open to used prep materials, and I marked up every CARS passage in pen. Next, I have a decent beginner’s drum set I could possibly sell with all hardware and cymbals + a nice throne included for $400-450 (goodbye drumming career—meet you again at my midlife crisis). I have a non-functional PS2 I could try to get $30 for (probably just need to replace the laser based on how it’s acting), a bike I can probably sell for $50, and a savings account with $300 I could just wipe out if I have to (it seems sadly necessary right now). The rest or whatever is left from what I can’t sell will have to come from my tiny checking account+paycheck, and I’ll eat canned and frozen food for the next few weeks.
I’m right there with you! Currently trying to sell my snowboard and gear to top off the rest of my deposit, lol.

"if you can't currently afford a laptop, medicine isn't for you" is probably the single dumbest thing i've read this year

Reactions: 8 users
"if you can't currently afford a laptop, medicine isn't for you" is probably the single dumbest thing i've read this year

Thanks for pointing that out. I can see that my comments may be interpreted differently from my thought. Excuse me for being a poor writer.

I should have posted this instead: "If you're so cash-strapped that buying even the cheapest laptop on the market is not feasible, medicine probably isn't the wisest career at the moment." (My original statement lacked the bolded part). Some commenters have stated that they had difficult affording application fees, study materials, and laptops. My contention was that it would be more prudent to first find another job to pay for these rather than taking out a loan. The notion of taking out a loan to pay for everything one cannot afford is extremely dangerous. But loans to have a place but only when the gain significantly outweighs the risk such as when one actually gets into medical school but NOT before that is guaranteed. For the 50% that get into medical school, they may someday be able to pay back that debt. But for the other 50% that don't get in, they are saddled with that debt.

Thanks for pointing that out. I can see that my comments may be interpreted differently from my thought. Excuse me for being a poor writer.

I should have posted this instead: "If you're so cash-strapped that buying even the cheapest laptop on the market is not feasible, medicine probably isn't the wisest career at the moment." (My original statement lacked the bolded part). Some commenters have stated that they had difficult affording application fees, study materials, and laptops. My contention was that it would be more prudent to first find another job to pay for these rather than taking out a loan. The notion of taking out a loan to pay for everything one cannot afford is extremely dangerous. But loans to have a place but only when the gain significantly outweighs the risk such as when one actually gets into medical school but NOT before that is guaranteed. For the 50% that get into medical school, they may someday be able to pay back that debt. But for the other 50% that don't get in, they are saddled with that debt.
I see what you’re saying, but I don’t think that’s really the case. There are many stories and backgrounds. I agree that it would not be wise to take out loans with the possibility of getting into medical school. Very risky in my opinion. However, the whole “if someone can’t afford a laptop shouldn’t pursue Medicine” even right now is silly in my opinion. I’m an example of this. I’m a non-traditional student veteran and I myself can not afford a new tablet at the moment and am struggling for the deposit. I make about to pay my bills and get by. I do not however have an extra $1500 laying around after paying for all of my travel and hotel expenses for my interviews. I will NOT use a loan to pay for a deposit, I will get the money another way. I just think it’s a real “cookie cutter” response to suggest that people who currently have lower income shouldn’t pursue medicine because it’s difficult. Life is difficult...you make it work.

***aplologize for errors. Despise typing on IPhones, haha

I see what you’re saying, but I don’t think that’s really the case. There are many stories and backgrounds. I agree that it would not be wise to take out loans with the possibility of getting into medical school. Very risky in my opinion. However, the whole “if someone can’t afford a laptop shouldn’t pursue Medicine” even right now is silly in my opinion. I’m an example of this. I’m a non-traditional student veteran and I myself can not afford a new tablet at the moment and am struggling for the deposit. I make about to pay my bills and get by. I do not however have an extra $1500 laying around after paying for all of my travel and hotel expenses for my interviews. I will NOT use a loan to pay for a deposit, I will get the money another way. I just think it’s a real “cookie cutter” response to suggest that people who currently have lower income shouldn’t pursue medicine because it’s difficult. Life is difficult...you make it work.

***aplologize for errors. Despise typing on IPhones, haha
You're right that its a cookie cutter statement. In the end, it all varies from person to person. Everyone will take a different path especially non-trads. My suggestion was aimed primarily to the recent college graduate or current student group (the majority of applicants) of which I am part of.

I'm really not trying to discourage lower income students because that's exactly what I am. But precisely because we have less resources than more affluent applicants, we must be more cautious with our finances. An well off applicant might shrug off a couple thousand in cash used to cover application expenses. We can't.

"aplologize for errors. Despise typing on IPhones,"
You should see my typing when I don't spell check.

Last edited:
Anyways, even if I'm entirely wrong, hopefully this discussion will still encourage people, regardless of their circumstances, to think long and hard about their approach to the application process.

Last edited:
My parents, friends, and community all knew that Michigan State's medical schools included DO and MD, so they were ecstatic.

I guess I had to explain who A.T. Still was to the parents when his name was spoken during the osteopathic oath at White Coat Ceremony.

You take an oath that mentions one person specifically by name?

Anyway, yeah, you'll be explaining what DO means to a lot of people. Not all of them will get it. But you'll be a physician which is what really matters anyway.

You're right that its a cookie cutter statement. In the end, it all varies from person to person. Everyone will take a different path especially non-trads. My suggestion was aimed primarily to the recent college graduate or current student group (the majority of applicants) of which I am part of.

I'm really not trying to discourage lower income students because that's exactly what I am. But precisely because we have less resources than more affluent applicants, we must be more cautious with our finances. An well off applicant might shrug off a couple thousand in cash used to cover application expenses. We can't.

"aplologize for errors. Despise typing on IPhones,"
You should see my typing when I don't spell check.
I completely agree with you!

You take an oath that mentions one person specifically by name?

Anyway, yeah, you'll be explaining what DO means to a lot of people. Not all of them will get it. But you'll be a physician which is what really matters anyway.

Not in Michigan. DO and MSUCOM are known here, at least by the people I've interacted with so far.

Just had a stern conversation with my brother telling me he thinks I should decline the DO acceptance, retake the MCAT (I got a 510 but had very disproportionate section scores) and re-apply Allo next year *rolls eyes* Just going to accept that they don’t know jack about this process and how fortunate I am to have landed this seat. >.>

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just had a stern conversation with my brother telling me he thinks I should decline the DO acceptance, retake the MCAT (I got a 510 but had very disproportionate section scores) and re-apply Allo next year *rolls eyes* Just doing to accept that they don’t know jack about this process and how fortunate I am to have landed this seat. >.>
You don’t need to say, but what career field is he in?

Just had a stern conversation with my brother telling me he thinks I should decline the DO acceptance, retake the MCAT (I got a 510 but had very disproportionate section scores) and re-apply Allo next year *rolls eyes* Just doing to accept that they don’t know jack about this process and how fortunate I am to have landed this seat. >.>
Did you brother go through the application process before?

Sorry that happened. :( I can imagine that would be super frustrating.

Sorry to hear that. Yes, there’s clearly a lack of understanding on their part regarding the journey.

No one really cares about the whole DO vs MD title in actual practice. Worried that patients will avoid seeing you because of your title? Too bad, there is a shortage of doctors, not a shortage of patients. It will be their loss.

Not that crappy sort of new computers and free wifi are accessible in most public libraries... And a $400 acer laptop is really not that bad,(I personally use one!) 400 bucks investment on med school app is reasonable, compared to the thousands of dollars traveling
Aye! I own a $400 Acer laptop too. Okay bye!

My family doesn't know the difference and I'll be the first doctor in my family ever, so even if they did they wouldn't care.

It's funny, I mentioned this exact post to my family on Thanksgiving as we did our what am I grateful for stuff, I told them I was grateful that they were excited for me going to an osteopathic School and weren't like some families who thought less of it. I mean my mom has this annoying habit of telling people I'm going to DO school where inevitably a conversation follows about WTF that even is. So she has just started saying medical school. But my sister is a nurse and I know all the doctor she works with, and she actually had to ask me which ones were DO and which one were MD because she literally just hasn't taken the time in the couple years she's worked with them to figure it out. She works with three DO's and one MD and she knew that some of them were but that it just didn't matter. So luckily I have a family that straight doesn't care.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
So does it mean that kids from working class are less qualified to become a doctor than upper/middle class kids?

Don't forget all the volunteer work/ ECs/ leadership positions one must partake in to get into med school besides working your butt off to support your existence. Also, people without high socioeconomic parents often don't know or see the value of ECs. I sure didn't know those were needed. I just needed food on my table. it's much easier to get good grades and have ECs when your life, or even part of your life is paid for

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
A word of advice from someone whose been around the block in life once or twice.... the people rolling their eyes at your DO acceptance will likely roll their eyes at an Allo acceptance because the, “school isn’t a top program.” Complainers and “haters” find a reason to talk down on pretty much anything you’re going to do...no matter what. It’s the way they’re wired. In life you’ll meet lots of people who don’t understand your struggle and or your journey. Unfortunately, sometimes those people are family members. You know the journey you’re about to embark on and you know that after 4 years you’ll be a resident somewhere. Likely with a bunch of MDs. So in the grand scheme of life, all is well. Being humble is one of life’s greatest tools. Good luck!

This has brought up a really interesting discussion. If anything, I’m happy to witness it! But I think it’s hard to deny the existence of numerous socioeconomic barriers to becoming a physician—early life exposure to education and critical thinking; expensive educational institutions, test prep and application services; the freedom to not have to work during college/to focus on academics and other application-building activities; the language, mannerisms, and appearances of the upper strata of society translating into professionalism; cost of transportation to/from interviews, missed wages due to time off from work for travel, and security of admission seats—the working class and lower-middle class just have a harder time of it.
The "application-building activities" struck a chord with me. I'm feeling you here. One of my recent interviews asked where my community service was... even after I just told them I worked full time, while taking classes full time, while also doing clinical volunteering. Man, if I hadn't been working full time, I'm sure I could have done a ton more... but it also seems like adcoms just don't care if I, and others like me, keep our lights on. I'm pretty sure no bank ever says, "Aww, this person needs to do more application building for med school - how about we waive that mortgage payment this month, and the car payment too while we're at it so she can get some serious volunteer hours?"

I'm trying to get more community service hours now that I'm out of school, but it's likely way too late for this cycle, and that stings. My post bacc GPA is competitive, my MCAT is competitive, my healthcare experience (both volunteering and paid) is good - and I accomplished all of those things while working full-time. I felt like that would be worth something in and of itself... but I guess I was wrong.

On topic - pretty sure I've bothered everyone so much talking about med school admissions that everyone I know would be equally happy for me to get into either a MD or DO program... just so I'd shut up and stop talking.