FAP deferrment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheepae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was finally accepted into the FAP program (after almost a year of applying...my recruiter sucked), and am currently a PGY-2 in a civilian program. I was previously a DMO in the Navy for four years, and separated because they didn't offer me an outservice position. When I finish my residency in 2015, I'll be going directly to active duty, but first, I'd like to complete a 1 year hyperbaric fellowship. Does anyone know if the Navy might offer me a 1 year deferment to complete this fellowship? I already asked my recruiter if they'd extend my FAP contract, but he said no. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was finally accepted into the FAP program (after almost a year of applying...my recruiter sucked), and am currently a PGY-2 in a civilian program. I was previously a DMO in the Navy for four years, and separated because they didn't offer me an outservice position. When I finish my residency in 2015, I'll be going directly to active duty, but first, I'd like to complete a 1 year hyperbaric fellowship. Does anyone know if the Navy might offer me a 1 year deferment to complete this fellowship? I already asked my recruiter if they'd extend my FAP contract, but he said no. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

Can it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Depends. If your specialty is one in which hyperbaric training will make you better at your job and they do not have a pressing shortage in 2015 for your specialty, they let you do it unfunded. You have to justify the need.