FAP: Read before signing HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know where to find current specialty needs that the branches will fill with FAP recruits? I tried navigating the mil websites, but am not having much luck. lol I am considering doing IM or EM. Thanks!

There are no published lists. Recruiting command will have general goals for specialties, but higher levels can make changes to those goals. EM is almost always needed. IM is often accepted as the need for primary care is high.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if any one who is doing the fap this year or has in the recent past could tell me what the annual paycheck is as well as the monthly stipend during civilian residency. I was planning on doing the hpsp but after reading about the fap, it seems like a better deal for right now. It's just the numbers are outdated and I can't seem to find anywhere what the pay is during residency compared to hpsp. Biggest reason for choosing fap over hpsp was I am thinking about trying to get one of the more competitive residencies and thought going through the civilian match would make that easier.

wow, a lot of reading to comb through--so i hope my questions are not repeats:

can you join FAP after completion of a residency?
can you join FAP after completion of a residency + fellowship?
Are there any locations that need certain types of doctors moreso than others? (ie, tripler needs pediatricians so peds go there)

For what its worth, I imagine I am going to enter physical med and rehab (fellowship in sports med).

Members don't see this ad :)
"Biggest reason for choosing fap over hpsp was I am thinking about trying to get one of the more competitive residencies and thought going through the civilian match would make that easier."

I am in a similar position. I was also wondering if it is more difficult to get waivers for FAP then going for USUHS or if it is just luck.

Are there any locations that need certain types of doctors moreso than others? (ie, tripler needs pediatricians so peds go there)

For what its worth, I imagine I am going to enter physical med and rehab (fellowship in sports med).

Physical Medicine is very unlikely to be accepted for FAP........ ever.
Sports med....possible, but usually it is a Fellowship trained FP we would look for.

"Biggest reason for choosing fap over hpsp was I am thinking about trying to get one of the more competitive residencies and thought going through the civilian match would make that easier."

I am in a similar position. I was also wondering if it is more difficult to get waivers for FAP then going for USUHS or if it is just luck.

FAP is for after med school when you are in residency. The USUHS ship would have long since sailed before you would begin the FAP process.

Just got selected for FAP for internal medicine in the air force. Thought I would just share my story since a lot of specifics were hard to find when I was going through.

Why did I sign up? Biggest reason is I wanted to become a flight surgeon as I'm really into the aerospace field. Some family history of military, willingness to serve. Also, just being able to start a normal life with the FAP funds, given my school debt and credit cards from applications/move.

Overall process took 7 months from first contact with recruiter to selection. This was with me literally trying to turn everything in next day. The process is slow, and most of it is out of your control. Some things to look out for...
-Get a good recruiter. Mine was awesome and knew the system pretty well, like things to look out for and how to speed the process. If you bust your ass for them they are good about reciprocating.
-Have a scanner and fax ready... every time something gets miss filled or doesn't exactly match protocol, it has to be resubmitted. It felt at times they were like actively discouraging people from trying to join. Its annoying.
-You can officially apply for FAP as soon as you match, so start the paperwork well before hand so that once you match, you can get an official employment letter and submit ASAP before slots fill. Surprisingly some higher ups in the system don't know this...

Finances... you break about even or a little under than if you would just wait till you finish residency and sign a 4 year commitment, given FAP funds vs the multiyear signing bonus.
-Military for IM pays at or better what a hospitalist gig would pay in a major metropolitan center, like LA, where it is saturated.
-Dont do FAP if you want to do a fellowship immediately after. To get one, you have to apply, match, and then beg to postpone your commitment or extend FAP. Its easier just to stay in and get paid full salary while doing fellowship after your commitment.
-Compared to HPLRP, you get more flexibility with the funds. Helps start a normal life during residency, in my case, marriage, apt, pay off credit cards, and just a nice bit of savings in case bad things happen.

Work... well I tried going the flight surgeon route as a civilian, but there are only about 4 slots in the US, UTMB and Wright State split. Air Force is hurting for flight surgeons. From people I've talked to, after a year or two, they will let you out of your IM commitment and switch to flight surgery. I'm hoping to do that and then a RAM, maybe Pulm/CC. I tried going navy first for the coastal locations, but each recruiter said I wouldnt get a FS spot, that they only will send their GMO's in.

PM for any questions.

Just commissioned in this year to the Army for PM&R. Not sure about Navy's needs, I know AF has limited needs, but Army seems to have a decent amount of need for PM&R. There are some amazing rehab facilities as well - If you are interested in Sports/MSK, google the Center For The Intrepid in San Antonio. There are rehab sites at other bases too -- Tripler, Walter Reed (big one), Madigan (Tacoma), and others. PM me, would love to give more info for a fellow rehab doc.

Just commissioned (FAP) in this year to the Army for PM&R. Not sure about Navy's needs, I know AF has limited needs, but Army seems to have a decent amount of need for PM&R. There are some amazing rehab facilities as well - If you are interested in Sports/MSK, google the Center For The Intrepid in San Antonio. There are rehab sites at other bases too -- Tripler, Walter Reed (big one), Madigan (Tacoma), and others. PM me, would love to give more info for a fellow rehab doc.

Hi,

I am enrolled in one of the many caribbean island medical schools catered to US students. I am almost done my clinicals (graduate sept 2011) which are being completed here in the states. I am starting to study for my board exams (step1/2) and i seriously doubt i will be ready to apply for this year's match, so will have to wait until next year's match.
Of course all my bills and loans are knocking on my door since i am almost done with med school.

w/ all that said, I am interested in joining the military reserves to help with loans, potentially help with getting residency, etc.

what are my options or path since i will most probably have to wait for next year's match? what can i expect also?

thanks.

Hi,

I am enrolled in one of the many caribbean island medical schools catered to US students. I am almost done my clinicals (graduate sept 2011) which are being completed here in the states. I am starting to study for my board exams (step1/2) and i seriously doubt i will be ready to apply for this year's match, so will have to wait until next year's match.
Of course all my bills and loans are knocking on my door since i am almost done with med school.

w/ all that said, I am interested in joining the military reserves to help with loans, potentially help with getting residency, etc.

what are my options or path since i will most probably have to wait for next year's match? what can i expect also?

thanks.

I don't want to kick sand in your face, but I think you've planned poorly and you have unrealistic expectations. You did yourself no favors by putting yourself in a position that you need to take a year off between med school and residency start. You will have multiple red flags attached to an app coming from the carribean-a red flag for all but the "Big 4" and at least a "yellow flag" for those 4. This is commentary only on your residency prospects. Now for your question in re milmed: IIRC to be able to join any milmed branch while in training, you have to have completed a PGY 1 if you are coming from a carribean school.

to put this in everyday terms, military lingo aside...

Both the FAP and HPSP require that you give years back, almost the same amount of years...the only MAJOR differences that I'm reading are:

1-the monthly stipend and fact that HPSP pays for medical school debt...

and

2-whether or not you may be able to choose your specialty...

am I missing it, or essentially are these the huge differences?

both are irreversible. both suck if you change your mind. I'm premed right now, looking to maybe go the military medicine route (currently a mil spouse).

Both the FAP and HPSP require that you give years back, almost the same amount of years...the only MAJOR differences that I'm reading are:

1-the monthly stipend and fact that HPSP pays for medical school debt...

and

2-whether or not you may be able to choose your specialty...

am I missing it, or essentially are these the huge differences?
More or less, but you might be simplifying it to the point of confusion.

1- Both HPSP and FAP get a monthly stipend. The difference is that HPSP also pays all medical school fees, whereas FAP just gives you a $45K bonus each year.

2- You can choose your specialty in HPSP, you just may need to do a GMO tour before getting it, depending on branch and specialty. In FAP, the big advantage isn't that you can choose your specialty, but that you can choose your PROGRAM.

Members don't see this ad :)
More or less, but you might be simplifying it to the point of confusion.

1- Both HPSP and FAP get a monthly stipend. The difference is that HPSP also pays all medical school fees, whereas FAP just gives you a $45K bonus each year.

2- You can choose your specialty in HPSP, you just may need to do a GMO tour before getting it, depending on branch and specialty. In FAP, the big advantage isn't that you can choose your specialty, but that you can choose your PROGRAM.

forgive my not knowing, but what do you mean program? I'm very new to all this..

Program as in the specific residency you go to: choosing from one of a very few military residency locations vs choosing from every program in the country.

what are the locations? or is there i place i can read about them?
Try Google. If you're interested in Neurology residency programs in the Army, google that and start digging.

Here's a list of locations of military GME programs by branch of service. Once you see what you're looking for, google that specific program to learn more. If you have specific questions about a particular program, feel free to start a thread and ask.

Hi! I've been reading through the HPSP and FAP boards for awhile now, trying to get as much information as possible before applying. A lot of the information is old and it's hard to figure out what information is still applicable. But I think I've got most of it figured out. I've just got a few questions.

1. I recently found out that there will no longer be any subsidized loans available for financial aid. For the school I've chosen, this means about $25000 of accumulated interest by the time I finish medical school. This makes HPSP seem a little more attractive that FAP since HPSP means no loans in the first place, so no extra interest. Am I wrong in thinking this?

2. There's been some stuff said about it being a little difficult to get into a good residency program after doing the 4 years of gmo/flight surgeon tours. Is there any truth to this?

3. Will doing a military residency hurt me in the civilian world in the long run?

4. I understand that FAP is competitive for certain specialties and the recruiter I spoke with really had me worried when he said there might not be any spots available if I choose FAP instead of HPSP. Is this true even for family practice?

Thanks for any input you might have.

Hello,

Does anybody know if FAP (Army) is available for Pathology? Also, I'm an IMG and understand that I will need an unrestricted medical license by the beginning of PGY# to be eligible for FAP. The problem I face is that many states require at least 3 yrs of residency training to be eligible for licensure. So, my question is, if I'm doing a civilian residency in a state that requires 3 yrs of residency for licensure, is it plausible to apply for and receive a full unrestricted license in a state that only requires 2 years of PGY training, such as Oklahoma or Utah, even if I am not living in that state?

1. I recently found out that there will no longer be any subsidized loans available for financial aid. For the school I've chosen, this means about $25000 of accumulated interest by the time I finish medical school. This makes HPSP seem a little more attractive that FAP since HPSP means no loans in the first place, so no extra interest. Am I wrong in thinking this?
Yes and no. To figure out the difference in financials between FAP and HPSP, you need to factor in the cost of your particular school, the ability to moonlight during residency, and the length of your residency.
2. There's been some stuff said about it being a little difficult to get into a good residency program after doing the 4 years of gmo/flight surgeon tours. Is there any truth to this?
If your goal is to do a civilian residency, HPSP becomes much less attractive. If you're hoping for a civilian match and civilian training, FAP is a more attractive option.
3. Will doing a military residency hurt me in the civilian world in the long run?
Probably not. Many military residencies have reputations comparable to average civilian counterparts. Some have less than average reputations. A couple have excellent reputations, though this number has been dwindling (see Pathology as an example). In general, the primary care type training and exposure (which tends to be heavier on inpatient than comparable civilian programs) tend to be stronger than the surgical/procedure based specialties which tend to be lower volume.

Will any of this affect your career prospects? Probably not an issue, unless you're going into an extremely competitive niche like academics.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of applying for FAP. I'm a fourth year student so I'll be starting residency for psychiatry this summer. I had a meeting with my recruiter earlier today and some things didn't match with what's on this board. From what it looks like here, the officer training isn't done until after residency. However today he said I could be required to do it during any break (not that those happen) from residency or before residency starts in my break after graduation. Does anyone know if this is typical or is it always done after residency? Also as many have already asked, what are the chances of being pulled out of residency do to a GMO? I'm doing the FAP for several reasons (not just the money), but I'm not interested in leaving my chosen specialty.

Thanks so much for the help!

I don't know if it is possible to edit my original post in this thread, but if anyone has the current financial numbers please PM me and I'll update the first post. I plan to otherwise clarify a few things (e.g. that you can do FAP after HPSP if so approved).

Thanks!

I'm currently an Air Force Emergency Medicine resident (FAP) finishing up in June. Does anyone know when orders/assignments are sent out for those graduating this summer?

So you get 45K/year, plus ~2K/month stipend, plus your civilian residency pay??

You owe 4 years for 3 years of FAP
or 5 years for 4 years of FAP

Regarding IRR, if I'm prior service, am I out after the 4 years active duty?
Since I've already done that 8 year obligation thing once?

What about age waiver? I'm currently 43yo MS3.

What about Specialty? FM? PSYCH?

Also, I know this is anyone's guess but duty station? For NAVY? And frequency of deployments, land based vs. shipboard? Any thoughts on that stuff.... Stateside vs. overseas?

Thanks!

So you get 45K/year, plus ~2K/month stipend, plus your civilian residency pay??

You owe 4 years for 3 years of FAP
or 5 years for 4 years of FAP

Regarding IRR, if I'm prior service, am I out after the 4 years active duty?
Since I've already done that 8 year obligation thing once?

What about age waiver? I'm currently 43yo MS3.

What about Specialty? FM? PSYCH?

Also, I know this is anyone's guess but duty station? For NAVY? And frequency of deployments, land based vs. shipboard? Any thoughts on that stuff.... Stateside vs. overseas?

Thanks!

You would need an age waiver and I don't see it happening at present.

depending on how much you will owe, you wouldn't necessarily be able to pay off all your student loans on FAP right? (especially considering no more subsidized loans)

versus HPSP where you would have no loans to have interest accruing on it

Just wanted to throw another post up here saying thanks for this. Amazing info, definitely has given me a lot to thing about over the next couple of years.

To add to the FAP decision:

1. There are some pretty nice loan repayment schemes for docs in the National Guard and Army Reserve. It's currently $40K/year for each year of post-residency part-time service (one weekend/month and 2 weeks/year) up to a total of $240K. The current deployment tempo is 90 days boots-on-ground approx every 2 years. No guess as to what the tempo would be (if any) when you actually sign up for this.

2. There are hefty signing bonuses that in some cases exceed what you'd get from FAP for folks who complete residency in many specialties. Sign on bonuses from $200-$400K.

HPSP seems to be the default recruiting pipeline, but there are a lot of ways to serve if you are unsure and want to make an informed decision later in your career.

MY advice is not to do either. Even though the financial benefits are enticing, you will be eventually practicing in a horrible environment. Your clinic will be staffed with incompetent people whom you don't control, your patients are generally treated horribly, the system doesn't benefit from efficiency, and you as the physician have to do everything. I mean everything, and many of your co-physicians will be ridiculously incompetent.

Rather, stay a civilian and serve your country by getting excellent training and serving your patients with excellence. Make special effort for those in uniform and their families when their ridiculous physicians refer the most basic of things to you (or you have to clean up their mess).

This is where we're headed. Get ahead of the curve and save the frustration. I wish I had listened.

Not sure if anyone still replies to this thread, but I'm about to enter medical school in August and have received an HPSP scholarship (Army). I'm set to sign the paperwork next Thursday but the thing is, the medical school I've been accepted to has just offered me a full tuition scholarship. I went with HPSP because I have in interest in the military, not just for the money, so I'm still leaning toward taking it instead of the school's scholarship (obviously the school wouldn't give me a stipend or signing bonus, either). Thing is, I had never heard of the FAP before. Is this a relatively common thing? And would it make more sense for me to simply take out loans for my costs of living etc and just apply for FAP if I still want to go the medical route in 4 years? Thanks to anyone that responds

Not sure if anyone still replies to this thread, but I'm about to enter medical school in August and have received an HPSP scholarship (Army). I'm set to sign the paperwork next Thursday but the thing is, the medical school I've been accepted to has just offered me a full tuition scholarship. I went with HPSP because I have in interest in the military, not just for the money, so I'm still leaning toward taking it instead of the school's scholarship (obviously the school wouldn't give me a stipend or signing bonus, either).
Oh, God, don't take HPSP. If you have a passion for the military AND are looking at a big student loan burden from med school AND know you will be going into a specialty on the lower paying end, HPSP MIGHT make sense. Otherwise, it just doesn't.

A few things to keep in mind as you make your decision:

1. Your involvement in the military in HPSP is very limited. Do not view joining later as a big impediment or lost opportunity.
2. You can join the military later as a resident via FAP, availability permitting. The money paid in FAP, plus resident salary, would more than make up for loans you took out for living expenses during medical school. The advantages to doing this are:
- You will be doing a civilian residency, which gives you MUCH greater opportunity for location and quality and fit
- You will not be forced to do a GMO tour
3. You can join the military even later after residency and get a sign-on bonus from $200-$400K, which would (obviously) more than make up for the loans you took out for living expenses in medical school. And by then you would have a much better idea what you want for a career and if the military is part of that plan.

It's highly debatable what the actual numbers are, but it's hard to argue that MANY people regret taking HPSP. The problem with this is:
- You have no idea what the military, military GME, etc. will look like that far out
- You have no idea what specialty you will be going into and while some military training for specialties is fair-to-good, there are some that are substandard to opportunities you'd have as a civilian.
- You have no idea what your life (spouse, children, hobbies) will be like by the time you finish residency and what you want to do with it.

It may (or may not) be worth rolling the dice on these issues and signing up for HPSP and losing some control over your residency training and early career, for the sake of eliminating student loans and serving your country. But if you have no tuition loans to speak of and are only looking at living expenses, you can easily pay for this with reimbursement programs later (either via the mechanisms above, or with part-time service via the National Guard/Reserve and it's $240K student loan repayment plan) which will STILL allow you to serve via the military without the loss of control aspect.

Others may disagree but I would find it hard to make a case for HPSP in a tuition-free environment.

Oh, God, don't take HPSP. If you have a passion for the military AND are looking at a big student loan burden from med school AND know you will be going into a specialty on the lower paying end, HPSP MIGHT make sense. Otherwise, it just doesn't.

A few things to keep in mind as you make your decision:

1. Your involvement in the military in HPSP is very limited. Do not view joining later as a big impediment or lost opportunity.
2. You can join the military later as a resident via FAP, availability permitting. The money paid in FAP, plus resident salary, would more than make up for loans you took out for living expenses during medical school. The advantages to doing this are:
- You will be doing a civilian residency, which gives you MUCH greater opportunity for location and quality and fit
- You will not be forced to do a GMO tour
3. You can join the military even later after residency and get a sign-on bonus from $200-$400K, which would (obviously) more than make up for the loans you took out for living expenses in medical school. And by then you would have a much better idea what you want for a career and if the military is part of that plan.

It's highly debatable what the actual numbers are, but it's hard to argue that MANY people regret taking HPSP. The problem with this is:
- You have no idea what the military, military GME, etc. will look like that far out
- You have no idea what specialty you will be going into and while some military training for specialties is fair-to-good, there are some that are substandard to opportunities you'd have as a civilian.
- You have no idea what your life (spouse, children, hobbies) will be like by the time you finish residency and what you want to do with it.

It may (or may not) be worth rolling the dice on these issues and signing up for HPSP and losing some control over your residency training and early career, for the sake of eliminating student loans and serving your country. But if you have no tuition loans to speak of and are only looking at living expenses, you can easily pay for this with reimbursement programs later (either via the mechanisms above, or with part-time service via the National Guard/Reserve and it's $240K student loan repayment plan) which will STILL allow you to serve via the military without the loss of control aspect.

Others may disagree but I would find it hard to make a case for HPSP in a tuition-free environment.

This has essentially been my concern. Thanks a ton for the input.

I'm a bit confused. I'm having trouble getting in touch with a recruiter but am I thinking correctly here? Is FAP = STRAP or are these two separate (but seemingly very similar) programs?

Totally different obligations and benefits. FAP obligates for active duty, STRAP obligates for ARNG or Army Reserve.

Hello,
I'm a 3rd year EM resident, who just joined (re-joined) through the FAP program, and iwe get two weeks of active duty through annual training every year. Most people use this for "school orders" ie, not doing anything other than their normal routine, and that's what I did last year, but I wanted to try something different this year. I emailed Mr. Jon Green at BUMED, and he said in the past people have done rotations with Medical Emergency Flight Evac w/ the AF, and also a 2 week rotation with NASA, but he did not have any further information about them. Does anyone know anything about either of these rotations, like contact info, websites (I couldn't find anything on google), or anything other cool 2 week rotations? I'm interested in the Marine Mountain medicine course, but it's 18 days long, so I'm not sure whether or not I'd be able to qualify, and was hoping someone else had some insight or cool experiences.

Thanks!

Help! They (my detailer) keep trying to tell me that after fap my residency doesn't count for any years experience!!! I have been in FAP for 3+ years (it will be 4 this sept) I am graduating residency and transitioning to AD this summer. Who do I talk to in the navy to clarify that I am O3 with 3 years soon to be 4 years experience, not O3 with zero years experience! Help!

If your PhD is related to medicine and your field, then you can ask for entry as an O-4.

FITREPS are you evaluations by your senior officer. BUMED is The Bureau of Medicine and Surgery.

Good luck!

Who do you ask??? How??

I am a USIMG, with a strong interest in Primary care AND military medicine. The FAP program seems like a perfect fit for me, after I match for IM or FM residency.

My question is about the application process. While I don't consider myself physically disabled, I am a testicular cancer survivor on lifetime HRT. I remember reading from army recruitment guidelines back when I was considering enlistment, that the absence of testes in a male constituted an absolute cause for rejection. I would like to know from those who had been accepted to the FAP program, whether there was a physical involved, what were the physical requirements, and whether I am even legally obliged to disclose a health issue that is a non-issue in terms of my ability to serve as a Military Physician.

I am strongly motivated to apply once I match, I just want to know what I am up against.

I am a USIMG, with a strong interest in Primary care AND military medicine. The FAP program seems like a perfect fit for me, after I match for IM or FM residency.

My question is about the application process. While I don't consider myself physically disabled, I am a testicular cancer survivor on lifetime HRT. I remember reading from army recruitment guidelines back when I was considering enlistment, that the absence of testes in a male constituted an absolute cause for rejection. I would like to know from those who had been accepted to the FAP program, whether there was a physical involved, what were the physical requirements, and whether I am even legally obliged to disclose a health issue that is a non-issue in terms of my ability to serve as a Military Physician.

I am strongly motivated to apply once I match, I just want to know what I am up against.

There is absolutely a physical involved to join the military. Although many medical conditions can get waivers, you will need to go through the process of seeking a waiver soon. If absence of testes is an absolute cause for rejection, then there is nothing you can do about it. You will not be able to join the military. And yes, you are legally obliged to disclose any healthcare issues regardless of whether you think they affect your ability to serve or not. Failure to do so is lying and could result in some big penalties.

How does signing up for FAP affect post 9/11 gi bill benefits? I'm a US IMG and I don't have any debt. I'm thinking of joining the army after residency so that I can go back to college (I went to med school after high school). I figure I can use the FAP money and put it in the bank and let the interest accumulate, join the military and do my time, then use post 9/11 GI Bill to go back to college? Is this realistic?

How does signing up for FAP affect post 9/11 gi bill benefits? I'm a US IMG and I don't have any debt. I'm thinking of joining the army after residency so that I can go back to college (I went to med school after high school). I figure I can use the FAP money and put it in the bank and let the interest accumulate, join the military and do my time, then use post 9/11 GI Bill to go back to college? Is this realistic?

I did the FAP and received the post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. I am still active duty in the Navy.

If you are already a practicing physician after residency, why do you need to go back to college?

I did the FAP and received the post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. I am still active duty in the Navy.

If you are already a practicing physician after residency, why do you need to go back to college?

I haven't started residency yet. I studied medicine mainly for family reasons and am hoping to change careers in the future. Thank you for your answer though.

I have been combing through these posts for a bit, and I think I'm leaning towards FAP for reasons many people have stated and I appreciate everyone's opinions who have chimed it. It really does help many of us who are exploring options and have always been interested in serving. I have a question, I understand that when you start residency you sign up for FAP... what if I wanted to do a fellowship such as Intensive care/ infectious disease etc. Can the military pull me out after my residency and not give me the opportunity to do my fellowship or delay me from doing one if I sign up for FAP? Is this something you have to get in writing in your contract that you have interests in a fellowship and they have to let you partake in one? Is it possible to sign up for FAP while I am in a fellowship to avoid any of these issues? Thank you everyone for your advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what the application vs acceptance numbers are like for FAP? I've read a few threads here where folks have mentioned very low numbers (one recruiter on this site said the Navy took a total of 8 people via the FAP program last year, and one poster here in the Navy mentioned that FAP numbers were very small while HPSP numbers remained steady.)

I'm in my second year of school and toyed with the idea of HPSP but ultimately declined because I have a wife who will be in the match with me. At the time my recruiter said that commissions via the FAP system dwindle every year. I wonder if they're trying to minimize the program and hook more kids with HPSP.

I only know Navy numbers. Last year the Navy took 5. And the stated policy from BUMED is that they will only consider critically undermanned specialties in the immediate future.
I'm surprised this aspect of FAP isn't really brought up around here; people seem to talk about it as an equivalent entry method to HPSP but in reality it appears to be a rare occurrence. I think the difficulty of entering via this program should be added to the "detractor" list on this FAQ.

Do you happen to know if it's easier to get in directly post-residency?

If anyone reading this has been through the FAP program and could clear up a few things for me
1) If you take the FAP route for say a 5 year residency, how much time of service would be required for that branch of service
2) When you are in active duty, how much input do you have over where you are based
3) After completion of the residency, are you required to go into service straight away or could you take time off beforehand
4) How difficult is it to get into the FAP program

Thanks for your help this forum has been very helpful distinguishing FAP and HPSP

If anyone reading this has been through the FAP program and could clear up a few things for me
1) If you take the FAP route for say a 5 year residency, how much time of service would be required for that branch of service
2) When you are in active duty, how much input do you have over where you are based
3) After completion of the residency, are you required to go into service straight away or could you take time off beforehand
4) How difficult is it to get into the FAP program

Thanks for your help this forum has been very helpful distinguishing FAP and HPSP

1. Its N+1, so 6.
2. About Dec/Jan before the end of residency they give you a list with 20 slots on it to list your base preferences. Depending on your specialty on certain bases are available. Once they receive the list, they find out which bases you didn't put down and send you to one of those.
3. I was given a range of 30 days to tell them my report date from the end of residency. Your payback and pay wont start till your report date. PS whatever day you plan on reporting, tell them your report date will be 10 days after that. When you show up you'll get 10 days permissive time off to search for a place.
4.If you matched, they need that specialty, and you don't have medical issues, not very hard.