FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It does not make sense that they would be equal - anyone who has done research before knows that a paper that has only been submitted still has a while to go before it is revised and eventually accepted (if at all). I can't speak for this PD - maybe he/she was just looking for some scholarly involvement, but to programs seeking prospective residents with productive research as future academicians (particularly the top-tier programs) an actual published paper should have more weight.

That's what I was getting at haha uh yeah, isn't it obvious they aren't equal....generally speaking.

Members don't see this ad.

School: Mid-tier
Step 1: 211
Step 2: haven't taken
clerkships: just starting, don't have my first grade yet
research: I'm an MD/PhD, although I'm still in the process of submitting papers from my primary research. Numerous posters, 1 commentary published, expect to have 5 papers from my research work, 3 of them imaging related.

So, I know the deal with my step 1 score, that it's lower than a lot of cutoffs and I may not be seen by a lot of programs. Also that I need to get my step 2 scores really high and good grades. How do I go about getting my application looked at with my step 1 score? Are there certain programs that don't have the cutoffs? Can I contact programs or do anything to help my chances of having my application reviewed?

I know someone with step 1 score under 220 who interviewed at UCSF and a number of other top programs. The first thing they did was ace their clinical rotations and score 250+ on step 2. They also had a compelling story for why they scored so poorly on step 1, what they learned from the experience, and how they used those lessons to do well on clinical rotations and step 2.

What was the reason for your low score? Did you just have a bad day, didn't study enough, or were there other extenuating circumstances?

Members don't see this ad :)
School: unranked school in the South
Step 1: 255+
Step 2: Not taking until September
Clerkship Grades: honors in surgery, obgyn, and medicine
Research: cardiology research, rads research, no publications
EC's: average (leadership in clubs, etc.)

Would love to match somewhere like Colorado, Wyoming, Oregon, maybe Florida, Texas, NC, SC

School: Unranked school in Midwest
Step 1: 233
Step 2: N/A (just going into 3rd year now)
Clerkship grades: None yet
Research: Few posters in a non-medical field in undergrad. Non-radiology project (neurosurg/radonc) with a poster at a school presentation and first-author pub from it
ECs: Some leadership in clubs, not much else

Looking to stay in the midwest at an academic center, really trying to avoid community programs (although I know many are good). I know I will have to do well in clinicals and Step 2, but currently what would be my chances at university programs in the midwest? A few on my mind: Northwestern, Michigan, Cleveland Clinic, Wisconsin, Beaumont, Cincinnati, Henry Ford. I am reasonably happy with my Step score but I know it's not going to stand out or anything. Any input would be appreciated.

School: DO school in Arizona, top 5% in class
Step 1: 246
Step 2: n/a (newly minted MS3)
Clerkship grades: A in Surgery, currently on IM
Research: poster in trauma surgery (hoping for pub this Fall)
ECs: ran a business while in med school, some volunteering, SSP (AOA equivalent for DO schools)

Looking to go back to SoCal, or at the very least a nice academic program close to a major city. I want to get good training, so open to whatever programs as long as it fulfills that requirement. Given my Step 1 score, any advice on what I should be aiming for on my Step 2 to be a bit more competitive? And if someone can throw some programs out based on personal experience, would love to start researching them.

Finally, if any DOs out there have been successful in matching a reputable allopathic DR program, would love to hear from you! Thanks, all.

School: Unranked school in Midwest
Step 2: N/A (just going into 3rd year now)
Clerkship grades: None yet
Research: Few posters in a non-medical field in undergrad. Non-radiology project (neurosurg/radonc) with a poster at a school presentation and first-author pub from it
ECs: Some leadership in clubs, not much else

Looking to stay in the midwest at an academic center, really trying to avoid community programs (although I know many are good). I know I will have to do well in clinicals and Step 2, but currently what would be my chances at university programs in the midwest? A few on my mind: Northwestern, Michigan, Cleveland Clinic, Wisconsin, Beaumont, Cincinnati, Henry Ford. I am reasonably happy with my Step score but I know it's not going to stand out or anything. Any input would be appreciated.

It's tough with no M3 grades, but with that Step 1, the top programs in the Midwest will be reaches (Northwestern, Michigan, Mayo, maybe Wisco) but still definitely apply, you have a shot. the other programs you mentioned would be good targets. Would also look strongly at some of the Big Ten programs (Indiana, Minnesota, Iowa, Ohio St). Overall I think you have a good chance to match at a university program in the midwest if you improve on Step 2 CK and get good clinical grades.

It's tough with no M3 grades, but with that Step 1, the top programs in the Midwest will be reaches (Northwestern, Michigan, Mayo, maybe Wisco) but still definitely apply, you have a shot. the other programs you mentioned would be good targets. Would also look strongly at some of the Big Ten programs (Indiana, Minnesota, Iowa, Ohio St). Overall I think you have a good chance to match at a university program in the midwest if you improve on Step 2 CK and get good clinical grades.

Yup i'm hoping to hit 240+ on CK and obviously gonna try my best to excel in 3rd year. Think my research would help me out at some of those programs too? Also, what kind of LoRs should be I be aiming for?

School: Midwest allopathic state school
Step 1: 235
Step 2: awaiting score, hoping to be in the 240s-250s
Clerkship grades: All honors except 1 HP in peds
Top 25% of class, not AOA
Research: 2 publications, 1 poster all in radiology, received small grant for a current rads project
ECs: student gov leadership and a few others
3 strong rads letters and a couple strong non-rads to choose from as well

Wanting to stay in the midwest, wondering about chances at some of the top 20 programs in the region. Hoping my step 1 score won't hold me back too much at some of the top academic centers there. Also doing an away at one of my top choices which is a high-ranking academic center.

Last edited:
School: Midwest allopathic state school
Step 1: 235
Step 2: awaiting score, hoping to be in the 240s-250s
Clerkship grades: All honors except 1 HP in peds
Top 25% of class, not AOA
Research: 2 publications, 1 poster all in radiology, received small grant for a current rads project
ECs: student gov leadership and a few others
3 strong rads letters and a couple strong non-rads to choose from as well

Wanting to stay in the midwest, wondering about chances at some of the top 20 programs in the region. Hoping my step 1 score won't hold me back too much at some of the top academic centers there. Also doing an away at one of my top choices which is a high-ranking academic center.

You will have a great shot at top programs in the midwest. You only get to use 4 letters. I would advise using no more than 2 from rads.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some top programs in the midwest?

Read the post 4 spaces above yours and you'll have your answer. You could also throw in Cleveland clinic. Not the greatest radiology program, but still a strong academic center.

Reactions: 1 user
Read the post 4 spaces above yours and you'll have your answer. You could also throw in Cleveland clinic. Not the greatest radiology program, but still a strong academic center.

Took the words right out my mouth. Indiana is an excellent program as well.

Midwest Osteopathic school
Step 1: 227
Step 2: Haven't taken
Clerkships: In the middle of my first one now
Research: Undergrad non-medical research, Medical school basic science cancer research and minor nutrition research. (No publications but 2 abstracts and several posters). Also pursuing research options during years 3 and 4 hoping to get a publication or 2 for case studies or the like.
Class rank: At least top 1/2 maybe top 25%

I don't care about top programs because I know my step score will prevent me from getting those. I would like a program like University of Toledo or community programs in the Midwest (particularly Ohio as I have strong ties there).

School: Top 30
Grades: 1 pass, 4 honors, 2 high pass. Honors in radiology rotations.
Step 1: 250+
Step 2: Pending
Research: 3 publications (one in nature - cardiology related, one rad related, one from undergrad. no first author), 5 posters, 6 experiences
Don't have much volunteer/work experience
No AOA
Letters will be ok, except for my medicine letter (had to ask a random person for this)

Shot at Duke? or other top programs?
Shot at IR?
Would appreciate any advice on what to do about a medicine letter. Tried contacting an attending that offered a letter at the end of my rotation but didn't respond (emailed him twice). So ended up asking the clerkship director who probably doesn't even know who I am.

School: Top 30
Grades: 1 pass, 4 honors, 2 high pass. Honors in radiology rotations.
Step 1: 250+
Step 2: Pending
Research: 3 publications (one in nature - cardiology related, one rad related, one from undergrad. no first author), 5 posters, 6 experiences
Don't have much volunteer/work experience
No AOA
Letters will be ok, except for my medicine letter (had to ask a random person for this)

Shot at Duke? or other top programs?
Shot at IR?
Would appreciate any advice on what to do about a medicine letter. Tried contacting an attending that offered a letter at the end of my rotation but didn't respond (emailed him twice). So ended up asking the clerkship director who probably doesn't even know who I am.

In years past, Duke did not interview anyone who was not AOA. Not sure if that's still the case. If you do get an interview at Duke and it's your first choice, let them know. They are obsessed with not falling far down their rank list and will often rank you higher if you tell them you're ranking them first.

You have a good shot at getting interviews to top programs for DR. No one can really predict what will happen for IR since this is the first year, but you should be competitive.

So I'm interested in Rads but unfortunately just found out I made in the 220s on Step 1. Fortunately I have 4 publications so far and should have a 5th (1st author) within a year along with a poster at a national conference. 2 of the 5 pubs (including the 1st author) will be imaging related.

My question is how much can these publications help offset my low step score in my competitiveness for radiology? Do most programs not really care or will it be significantly helpful? I'm just starting MS3 but our school (not high tier) is totally P/F.

School: MD
Step 1: 242
Step 2: (not taken)
Grades: no clinical yet (new M3) but probably top 25% in preclinical years
Research: various posters/abstracts since college, only 1 poster/abstract in medical school so far. No publications yet but that should change in the next few months.
ECs: some administrative stuff like admissions committee work
AOA: still shooting for it, but doubtful due to step 1 score. We'll see how clinicals go

I know there isn't a lot of info here, but I was hoping someone could give me a preliminary assessment on my chances at a program on the west coast. Preferably academic, and WA is my top choice at the moment. Thank you!

So I'm interested in Rads but unfortunately just found out I made in the 220s on Step 1. Fortunately I have 4 publications so far and should have a 5th (1st author) within a year along with a poster at a national conference. 2 of the 5 pubs (including the 1st author) will be imaging related.

My question is how much can these publications help offset my low step score in my competitiveness for radiology? Do most programs not really care or will it be significantly helpful? I'm just starting MS3 but our school (not high tier) is totally P/F.
220s probably isn't bad for Radiology and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to make up for it w/ a good Step 2.

I was wondering what my chances are for top tier and mid tier programs.
Step 1/2= 249/269
US MD low tier in the south
Between top 1/4 to top 1/3 of the class
Clerkship grades were mixed with near honors and honors
No AOA
Should have a few rads pubs and good ECs to fill my CV.

I had similar stats to you, a little bit lower Class rank and a little bit more research. Going off of doximity ratings, I got 7 interviews at the programs from 1-10 and 9 interviews from programs 11-20. Matched at one of the top two ranked programs in the country. You should be very competitive for interviews and match well if your interview skills are as good as your stats.

School: low-tier East coast
Step 1: 227
Step 2 CK: not taken yet
MS3 grades (pass/honor system): Honors in Medicine & Surgery; Passes in everything else (though only < 3 points off honoring in everything else)
No AOA
Research: 4 radiology group posters/presentations. 2 made it to RSNA.
EC: volunteering at free health clinic, health fairs, mentoring during med school. More community service, etc. prior to med school. Non-traditional student (38 yo) with 12+ years of engineering work prior to medical school. Photographer, outdoor recreation, tutoring, youth group counselor, ....

Looking to apply to Midwest/South programs, but I'm not too picky about location. Are there any particular programs where I would have a stronger chance? Thanks.

I wouldn't bother with Duke, Mayo, Wash U, or Michigan, but otherwise you have a decent shot at any other programs in the midwest or south. These are the least desirable regions (relative to west and northeast) and therefore are not as competitive. If you are applying DR, many of the most competitive applicants will be applying directly to IR, making your odds even better.

School: DO
Step 1: 254
Step 2 CK:263
Level 2 PE: passed (did not take CS)
Class Rank: Top 5
MS3: All honors
Research: 2 Publications (Ortho/Pathology), no first authors, 4 poster presentations
EC: over 50 hours volunteering,

Initially I was pursuing ortho, but decided I didn't want the surgery lifestyle. Thought about it for the last couple of months and just recently decided I want to apply for radiology. I won't have a radiology LOR, hopefully that wont hurt me too much, I will have strong letters from the chair of primary care at my school, hes internal medicine, and from two orthopedic surgeons. Set up a diagnostic radiology rotation for October and MSK radiology in January. Im targeting program in Florida and New York, UF would be my #1 as that's where my family resides.

School: DO
Step 1: 254
Step 2 CK:263
Level 2 PE: passed (did not take CS)
Class Rank: Top 5
MS3: All honors
Research: 2 Publications (Ortho/Pathology), no first authors, 4 poster presentations
EC: over 50 hours volunteering,

Initially I was pursuing ortho, but decided I didn't want the surgery lifestyle. Thought about it for the last couple of months and just recently decided I want to apply for radiology. I won't have a radiology LOR, hopefully that wont hurt me too much, I will have strong letters from the chair of primary care at my school, hes internal medicine, and from two orthopedic surgeons. Set up a diagnostic radiology rotation for October and MSK radiology in January. Im targeting program in Florida and New York, UF would be my #1 as that's where my family resides.

Not having any radiology letters may hurt you, you'll have to find a way to demonstrate a real interest in radiology or it will look like you are only applying to radiology as an orthopedic fallback.

Research which programs have taken DO students in the past. Not all of them do.

Not having any radiology letters may hurt you, you'll have to find a way to demonstrate a real interest in radiology or it will look like you are only applying to radiology as an orthopedic fallback.

Research which programs have taken DO students in the past. Not all of them do.

Yea I think I'm gonna switch my schedule around and try to get a radiology rotation in September and hopefully a letter.

IMG, GC holder
Step 1: 240+
Step 2: 245+
CS: first attempt
LoRs: strong
Lots of research, presentations, volunteer work, student leadership positions

I know my stats are mediocre, so I will apply broadly. I very much like academia and honestly do not want to end up in a community program. Don't have any geographical restrictions, but prefer to stay away from hot, humid climates!
Right now, I do not plan to apply to community programs, but I think this might not be a wise decision. I know so many IMG friendly community programs. Should I apply to those programs just to be safe?
I would appreciate your thoughts on my chance and how I should select the programs.

Last edited:
My STEP 1 was 227. I'm from a low-tier East coast allopathic school. (MS3 grades: Honor Medicine + Surgery. Some research. Non-traditional late 30's medical school student.)

Is it OK if I take Step 2 CK in mid-September for radiology?

Again, I'm hoping more to match in the South/Midwest, and I'm not too particular about program/location. Thanks.

It's preferable to take it before September, but you will be just fine if you don't. You will get plenty of interviews in the midwest and south at mid tier programs.

School: Mid-tier Texas MD
Step I: 226
Step II CK: Not taken yet
Grades: In my 2nd rotation of 3rd year, so far P in Psychiatry (school only offers H/P). Goal is to honor as many clerkships as possible down the road. Average pre-clinical grades
Research: 1 publication from undergrad, 1 anesthesia poster/abstract at annual conference, currently involved in cardiology/surgery research at home institution with hopes of publication
EC: Leaderships in school's TMA/AMA chapter and tobacco education volunteer group. Med student representative on a TMA Council. Plus numerous community service experience.

Recently discovered radiology with particular interest in IR as a future career. Have reached out to department faculty for shadowing opportunities, both in DR and IR. However, I realize my stats alone are probably not competitive enough to secure one of the new IR spots, so I'm shooting for DR first then IR fellowship. What do you all think of that plan? Besides kicking ass on Step 2 CK (250, 260+?) and honors in my rotations to raise a couple eyebrows, what else should I do to increase my chance of matching at a decent university/academic program that would place me at a favorable position to acquire an IR fellowship later on? I do not have any geographic preference when it comes to programs, just tryna make it out here with solid training! Thanks.

Will there be IR fellowships by the time you graduate? We are the same year, so this is good to know for me as well. Anyone with info on this?

Will there be IR fellowships by the time you graduate? We are the same year, so this is good to know for me as well. Anyone with info on this?
Yea one year if your program has esir (12 months of IR) or the fellowship will be 2 years.

DO applicant from a "Top 5" DO school

USMLE Step 1: 239
USMLE Step 2: not taken yet
Preclinicals: Top 5-10%
Clinical Grades: Haven't finished any required rotations yet, just electives
Extracurriculars: None
Research: None

Looking for a mid-tier university program that will train me to be a great radiologist and allow me to have great fellowship options. I will apply very broadly. Chances?

School: D.O.
Step 1: 258
Step 2: 252
PE (DO version of CS): should be back next week
Grades: Honors in IM, Surgery, Ob/Gyn, Peds, FMed; Pass in Psych (HP not an option)
Class rank: Top 10%
Research: awaiting rads case report submission for publication
EC: Physiology supplemental instructor, >100 hrs volunteering, president of honor society (don't have AOA), and 7-8 other unique things
LORs: IM attending (DO) very personal and strong; Director of Cardiology at core site (DO) very strong and personable; Director of Radiology at core site (DO) very strong and personable

Ties to Midwest and Northeast, currently live in Ohio. Would love a mid-tier university program but I do recognize that this isn't the most DO friendly specialty.
Applying broadly but how many programs is too many (59 currently)?
Should bother throwing money into applying to places that have never taken a DO?
Chances at U-Pitt, Cleveland Clinic, U-Minnesota, IU, Wake Forest, Chicago places?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Are allot of DOs applying to that many programs 60 sounds like allot?

School: new MD on east coast
Step 1: 265
Step 2: 254
Clerkship Grades: honors- IM, surg, Peds, IM subi. HP everything else. Will be AOA when school is finished accreditation in fall.
Research: 2 posters and currently finishing another project hopefully published in next month's. Nothing rads.
EC's: Lots and lots of volunteering, a few leadership positions.

I am from the east coast, have lived there my whole life. I have family in LA and am really hoping to match in Southern California. I am also a non traditional student with 6 years of good work experience prior to med school and I'm pretty sure I can sell the fact that I'll have no problem establishing myself on the other coast. I have an away at a good program in Cali this October. I'm sure there's no guarantee but could I be competitive for a positions in the land of actors and earthquakes?

School: Mid tier state school
Step 1: >270
Step 2: N/A
Clerkship grades: Honors so far (2/8). Will be AOA since its based on MS1/2 honors and Step 1 and I honored everything in preclinical.
Research: No research in med school but 4 basic science pubs from undergrad and gap year. 1 first author and all good journals.
ECs: Some club involvement/leadership and selected to run official tutoring sessions for MS1 class (paid).

I thought I'd post here because as third year progresses Im thinking about entering a field that is outside of the traditional "medicine" type of path. I think that would be best for me (e.g. rads, anesthesia, path). What do you think? Would I be fine without research? I really have no interest in having a career based on research.

dude you got >270. yes you will be fine without research

I swear half these posts are like " I got a 265, cured cancer and I'm a professional athlete/musician/etc in my spare time, do you think I can match "

Reactions: 1 users
No you won't match radiology. Go try for EM or something that doesn't require research.

School: low tier DO school
Clerkship grades: Only on my second rotation, Honored first one
Research: Two posters, one oral presentation in rad onc
ECs: None, really

Do I have a prayer?

School: low tier DO school
Clerkship grades: Only on my second rotation, Honored first one
Research: Two posters, one oral presentation in rad onc
ECs: None, really

Do I have a prayer?

Apply broadly regardless of geographic regions. It would've been nicer if you had improved Step 2 score.

Hello everyone!
I am a US MS4 MD wanting to be realistic. Step 1 is 219. My step 1 Uworld exams at the time were 240 and 242. Still irritates me when I think about it too long.
Honored IM and Peds. Only H or P at my school. Have taken 7 Shelf exams and averaged 68 percentile nationally. Step 2 results pending. No research. I am thinking about the field. Obviously my goal would be to get into the field and not to be picky. Advice would be appreciated. Specific programs that are realistic for me would be helpful. Open to PM. Thank you!

To be clear, I haven't taken it yet. I just started my 3rd year. I hope to improve.

I will recommend to take Step 2 as a DO. Do well in clinical. Get strong/personal LoRs. Apply broadly. You will be fine.