FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oops

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Trying to couples match in Texas with a heavy NE background (Undergrad in NE and Med school in NE) both in Radiology

Me: 258, All honors except IM & Ob, 3 Radiology publications. Step 2: not taken yet but same range
Her: 254, Mix of pass and high pass (much harder to honors at her school), no publications but did research. Step 2: hasn't taken it

1. Planning to apply to all Texas schools with 1 away. What are our chances? Specially interested in UTSW, UT H, Baylor Dallas, Baylor Houston, Methodist Houston

2. also open to UMiami, NC area, Cali areas

Boston and NYC are lower on our list because we feel comfortable matching there

I'm currently applying radiology and am from Texas. With those stats, I think you two have a good chance at couples matching in Texas. Make sure you express interest in the state and any ties if possible. As long as you can get the interviews (don't get ignored based on suspected lack of interest) then you should be in great shape. Luckily there several programs in Texas and many of them are large (UTSW, UTH, BCM, etc) which increases your chances. I'm a UTSW student and I know we have at least one couple from Ohio who both matched radiology. Good luck!

School: US MD-Not ranked, probably low tier
Step 1: 240
Step 2: Hoping to get above 250
AOA status: Nope
Rotations: High pass in peds until now. Have not gone through other rotations.
Research: All of them in basic sciences. One during medical school in physiology + about 5 different research projects during undergrad (do these even count??), some are related to medicine others are not. Oral presentations and poster presentations during undergrad.

1. To what type of program should I be focusing my attention?
2. What should I be doing to increase my chances?

Good job.

If you're applying DR with 240 US MD, then you're pretty solid. Make your app look crisp and apply to mid and top with a few lower ones to make sure you get your 10-12 invites.

If you're applying IR, then some combination of these things can help: apply to a lot and a range of programs, try for that 250+ on step 2, honor what you can, get involved with IR (e.g. IR letters, join SIR, get on some research, consider doing 1-3 aways).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently applying radiology and am from Texas. With those stats, I think you two have a good chance at couples matching in Texas. Make sure you express interest in the state and any ties if possible. As long as you can get the interviews (don't get ignored based on suspected lack of interest) then you should be in great shape. Luckily there several programs in Texas and many of them are large (UTSW, UTH, BCM, etc) which increases your chances. I'm a UTSW student and I know we have at least one couple from Ohio who both matched radiology. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the candid response!! We really want to come down south. Its good to know that there are couples who are able to match into the same program or at least in the same hospital system

School: US MD-top 25
Step 1: 248
Step 2: Hoping ~250
Rotations: gotten one H thus far (neuro), all others HP
Research: 5 pubs ( 3xfirst author not rads
related, and one each 2nd/3rd author rads related), 4 abstracts (1xRSNA)

1) Interested in an academic career and would prefer to be on the west coast, would top places Stanford, UCSF, UW be a possibility for me?

1b) what about Emory, Duke/others in the south?

1) No unless you do an away

1b) Yes

Per CO's 2016 98% USMD Sr's that ranked Rads #1 matched (highest of any specialty except IM, also 98%). Biggest definer seems to be Step 1 score, about which a score of 230 the 50th percentile of matched and unmatched seem to split.

School: US MD-top 25
Step 1: 248
Step 2: Hoping ~250
Rotations: gotten one H thus far (neuro), all others HP
Research: 5 pubs ( 3xfirst author not rads
related, and one each 2nd/3rd author rads related), 4 abstracts (1xRSNA)

1) Interested in an academic career and would prefer to be on the west coast, would top places Stanford, UCSF, UW be a possibility for me?

1b) what about Emory, Duke/others in the south?

You have a good shot at all the top schools, and excellent shot at mid-tiers.

Hey guys, thanks for all the informative comments thus far. Wanted to post as a M3 that has finally decided what they wanted to do (DR) and wanted some advice going forward as to what to expect

Step 1: 246
Step 2: hoping 10ish points higher than step 1
Clinical grades: all Honors at a lower tier MD program in the Midwest
Research: several abstract and poster presentations, no publications

Just wondering where I should apply in the coming year once I've worked hard to get some strong rec letters.

I realize that I'm probably not competitive for a top 5 DR program but wondering if my stats -- and lack of pubs and coming from a relatively unknown school -- would allow for interviewing at some really strong programs that are middle to upper tier? Thinking along the lines of the more well known programs in the Midwest and southeast

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, you'll get interviews at most of the places you apply to and some of them will be top programs.

3rd year at new-ish DO school
Step 1: 251
Clinicals: Didn't finish surgery or IM yet but H in urology, HP in everything else. Haven't done radiology yet
Research: 1 case report poster
Extracurricular: international mission trip

How are my chances overall? Do I have a shot at an integrated IR/DR program?

As a DO, integrated IR programs are not available to you because they're incredibly competitive and they just have more than enough USMDs from top MD schools to choose from before they make it to DO students, despite having a pretty good Step score.

As a DO, integrated IR programs are not available to you because they're incredibly competitive and they just have more than enough USMDs from top MD schools to choose from before they make it to DO students, despite having a pretty good Step score.

It's too early to tell since match hasn't happened yet. DOs are getting interviews for IR but they probably need good away rotation performance

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
Thanks for all the info so far.
So I was gung-ho neurosurgery since starting med school, but during a research year between M3 and M4 realized that was the wrong choice for a number of reasons, saw the light and made the switch to IR. I had numbers for neurosurg so I'm not too worried about matching somewhere, but because this is a pretty new choice and I don't have a huge number of connections yet, I'd like to get a sense of how much control I'll have over where I end up. My partner is a postdoc trying to find a biotech job so it would be nice to be able to have relative certainty of a city before March, but the cities with biotech jobs also tend to have the most competitive residencies in an already competitive specialty so that's probably out of the question. I'd also like to get a sense of how broadly I should apply, proportion of DR I should apply to with plans to switch vs I-6 programs (what with everything switching over and all), advice on aways, etc.

School: top 10, midwest
Step 1: 260
Step 2: 258
Preclinical was pass/fail
Clinical: H in surgery, psych; HP in IM, family, neuro, peds; P in OBGYN (school is quite hawkish with grades, not that residency directors really care)
AOA: No idea, maybe 30% shot? Wouldn't bank on it.
Research: All in neurosurgery so far, but solid. HHMI fellow between M3 and M4 (now). One co-first authorship in a science journal, one middle of the pack in a nature journal, a couple in neurosurgery specific journals that will mean nothing to IR PDs, abstracts in neurosurgery, path, med ed. Assuming I have to at least get a case report or something in an IR journal before I get my ERAS in to show I'm serious.

Hoping for UW, Stanford, UCLA, Duke, the good Boston programs, maybe UCSD, UMich (really don't want to stay in the midwest but it's a really fantastic program). Understand there's no way to coast into those, but I also understand if I have to have my bubble burst.

Really appreciate your insight!

Last edited:
Starting 4th year in approx 2 months.
School: Mid-tier (rank is ~50), Northeast (New York)
Step 1: 243
Preclinical: Pass/Fail
Clinical:
High Pass in Peds, Psych, Neuro, Medicine.
Pass in Ob/Gyn, Family Medicine.
Grade for surgery is pending (if I play my cards right, it should be an H...).
#tldr = No honors in MS3 so far, only HP
AOA: unlikely
Class Rank: I'd guess 2nd quartile, maybe 3rd quartile if I'm unlucky
Research: 5 publications and 2 oral abstracts in non-radiology research. About to start working on some rads projects, hoping for at least 1-2 rads abstracts this year.

I'm pretty flexible on where I can go. I would prefer big cities (NYC, Boston, Houston) and Texas/Florida/California/Arizona but I really have no geo restrictions. Also of note, I grew up and did undergrad in CA (so heavy tie to that state) and my family lives in AZ (tie to that state as well).

What do you guys think of these: UC-Irvine, AZ schools (UofArizona), Texas schools (UofTexasSW, UofTexasGalveston), NYU/Columbia/Sinai, Boston schools, NYC community programs (Winthrop)?
If I'm off, any suggestions on where I should be aiming?

4th year at newer DO school (Took time off due to illness in the family and now off cycle until next year)
Step 1: 225
Step 2: 260
Clinicals: H in every rotation so far except for family med (HP)
Research: 5 papers (not first author), 7 posters, 2 case reports
Letters: Program Directors at two top tier radiology programs

How are my chances overall? Do I have a shot at any mid tier academic programs? If I am looking for a west coast program, would an away rotation be worth it (one letter is from a west coast program)?

you need to apply very broadly. Mid tiers would be reaches with that step score and DO but still apply. West coast is near impossible even with an away with those stats

Hi all,
So I was gung-ho neurosurgery since starting med school, but during a research year between M3 and M4 realized that was the wrong choice for a number of reasons, saw the light and made the switch to IR. I had numbers for neurosurg so I'm not too worried about matching somewhere, but because this is a pretty new choice and I don't have a huge number of connections yet, I'd like to get a sense of how much control I'll have over where I end up. My partner is a postdoc trying to find a biotech job so it would be nice to be able to have relative certainty of a city before March, but the cities with biotech jobs also tend to have the most competitive residencies in an already competitive specialty so that's probably out of the question. I'd also like to get a sense of how broadly I should apply, proportion of DR I should apply to with plans to switch vs I-6 programs (what with everything switching over and all), advice on aways, etc.

Clinical: H in surgery, psych; HP in IM, family, neuro, peds; P in OBGYN (school is quite hawkish with grades, not that residency directors really care)
Research: All in neurosurgery so far, but solid. HHMI fellow between M3 and M4 (now). One co-first authorship in a science journal, one middle of the pack in a nature journal, a couple in neurosurgery specific journals that will mean nothing to IR PDs, abstracts in neurosurgery, path, med ed. Assuming I have to at least get a case report or something in an IR journal before I get my ERAS in to show I'm serious.

Hoping for UW, Stanford, UCLA, Duke, the good Boston programs, maybe UCSD, UMich (really don't want to stay in the midwest but it's a really fantastic program). Understand there's no way to coast into those, but I also understand if I have to have my bubble burst.

aim high, apply to all top programs with mid tier back ups

Starting 4th year in approx 2 months.
School: Mid-tier (rank is ~50), Northeast (New York)
Step 1: 243
Preclinical: Pass/Fail
Clinical:
High Pass in Peds, Psych, Neuro, Medicine.
Pass in Ob/Gyn, Family Medicine.
Grade for surgery is pending (if I play my cards right, it should be an H...).
#tldr = No honors in MS3 so far, only HP
Class Rank: I'd guess 2nd quartile, maybe 3rd quartile if I'm unlucky
Research: 5 publications and 2 oral abstracts in non-radiology research. About to start working on some rads projects, hoping for at least 1-2 rads abstracts this year.

I'm pretty flexible on where I can go. I would prefer big cities (NYC, Boston, Houston) and Texas/Florida/California/Arizona but I really have no geo restrictions. Also of note, I grew up and did undergrad in CA (so heavy tie to that state) and my family lives in AZ (tie to that state as well).

What do you guys think of these: UC-Irvine, AZ schools (UofArizona), Texas schools (UofTexasSW, UofTexasGalveston), NYU/Columbia/Sinai, Boston schools, NYC community programs (Winthrop)?
If I'm off, any suggestions on where I should be aiming?

I had similar stats. If you prefer big cities you may need to compromise on program quality. I had trouble getting city interviews. NYC you'll get plenty but unlikely for the big 5. Arizona you have a shot but an away might help. Ditto Florida. Texas and California are major reaches even with the ties. The specific places you listed I'm not that familiar with but most of them sound like reaches except NYC community and Arizona

you need to apply very broadly. Mid tiers would be reaches with that step score and DO but still apply. West coast is near impossible even with an away with those stats

Which mid tier academic programs should I be looking at? Thank you!

Hey guys, I'm a 3rd year considering radiology late in the year and I just wanted to know if a still have a chance or if I'm behind. Any help is always appreciated!

Med School: Top 40 in NE
Preclinical: Mostly A's and B's
3rd Year: All A's so far, A- on radiology elective, no honors
Step 1: 253
Step 2: will take soon
Quartile: probably 2nd
Research: nothing at all in radiology and like one project in cards during MS1 that didn't produce anything

Anyways, I'm just curious if I'm a competitive applicant and have a chance at a university affiliated hospital, or do I have to aim for community programs.

Also, what can I do to improve my chances?

Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm a 3rd year considering radiology late in the year and I just wanted to know if a still have a chance or if I'm behind. Any help is always appreciated!

Research: nothing at all in radiology and like one project in cards during MS1 that didn't produce anything

Anyways, I'm just curious if I'm a competitive applicant and have a chance at a university affiliated hospital, or do I have to aim for community programs.

Thanks!

Are you serious? 253, good grades, top 40 school, and you're asking if you have "a chance" at a university hospital? ROFL.

In all seriousness, do some radiology research and you'll have university programs begging for you

Are you serious? 253, good grades, top 40 school, and you're asking if you have "a chance" at a university hospital? ROFL.

In all seriousness, do some radiology research and you'll have university programs begging for you

Haha yeah I guess I'm a little paranoid, but I'm pretty new to the field so I wasn't sure if that would hurt me. Do you think I'd be competitive for mid tier programs?

Thanks for your help!

Haha yeah I guess I'm a little paranoid, but I'm pretty new to the field so I wasn't sure if that would hurt me. Do you think I'd be competitive for mid tier programs?

Thanks for your help!

Mid tiers? You're competitive for top tiers. Do your HW and don't get swayed by the SDN paranoia

Reactions: 1 users
DO Student

Step 1: 254
Level 1: 700+
1 publication second author, one poster first author
top 10% class
all H except HP in psych

Goal is to match into a university program in the west, particularly Utah or Colorado. Should I do an away or do I have a good chance without.

Thanks!

I would say you are competitive for mid-tier academic programs. Top tier will mostly be a reach for you but your step 1 will be enough to get your foot in the door at some.

The lack of clinical honors, research, and AOA status will hurt at the top and probably at mid-tier academic programs in competitive locations.

Current M3, halfway through core rotations.

School: i think people would say lower tier
Preclinical: All A's
Clinical so far: Honors in peds, surgery, family, hopefully I can stay strong on the rest.
Step 1: 265-270
Step 2: tbd
Top 5% of class
Research: 1 first author paper on a legit paper non rads related with abstract at national meeting. May get another second author paper in same subject area. One surgery case report, low impact open access journal. Some undergrad stuff, senior thesis, related to radiation but basic science stuff more applicable to rad onc than rads honestly.
ECs: normal med school stuff, didn't win a noble prize or anything.
AOA: from what I've heard I should get it but not 100% sure

I know I don't really have to worry about matching but realistically what are my chances at MGH, Upenn, MIR, NYU, Cornell, Vandy, Duke and other "top tier" places? Would having radiology research be the biggest help to my application besides having bomb letters of rec?

Clinical so far: Honors in peds, surgery, family, hopefully I can stay strong on the rest.
Top 5% of class
Research: 1 first author paper on a legit paper non rads related with abstract at national meeting. May get another second author paper in same subject area. One surgery case report, low impact open access journal. Some undergrad stuff, senior thesis, related to radiation but basic science stuff more applicable to rad onc than rads honestly.

I know I don't really have to worry about matching but realistically what are my chances at MGH, Upenn, MIR, NYU, Cornell, Vandy, Duke and other "top tier" places? Would having radiology research be the biggest help to my application besides having bomb letters of rec?

So step 1 >265, AOA (probably), all honors in clinical year so far, multiple pubs including 1st author. What exactly could you do to improve your application? I'm not trying to be a jerk; I am saying I literally don't know how much better your application could possibly be.

So step 1 >265, AOA (probably), all honors in clinical year so far, multiple pubs including 1st author. What exactly could you do to improve your application? I'm not trying to be a jerk; I am saying I literally don't know how much better your application could possibly be.

he/she fails to be an olympic athlete or prominent cancer researcher. they'll find a community program somewhere

Yeah I'm sorry I should have been more clear with my actual question, not trying to just boast my stats with no real point. Basically: How much would a radiology specific research project help my application? We do not have a home residency at my school so its been a bit of a struggle to get involved in an imaging project. It just seems that getting interviews can be kind of a crap-shoot with no real rhyme or reason as to why you may get an interview from one "top 10" program and not another.

Yeah I'm sorry I should have been more clear with my actual question, not trying to just boast my stats with no real point. Basically: How much would a radiology specific research project help my application? We do not have a home residency at my school so its been a bit of a struggle to get involved in an imaging project. It just seems that getting interviews can be kind of a crap-shoot with no real rhyme or reason as to why you may get an interview from one "top 10" program and not another.
Dude, with your stats you will get invites pretty much at all programs to which you will apply unless there is a major red flag in your application. Now hopefully you can have a conversation with someone and you will match where you want to go... I am not sure there is more that you should be doing and at this point, I am not sure there is much to gain by doing research. You have lined up ducks nicely thus far. Just try to have some fun and enjoy life a bit... Relax, you did well.

3rd year still trudging through rotations.

Step 2: We'll see
Rotations: 80th-90th %tiles so far
School: US-IMG in Europe
Research: Abstracts and presentations but in neurology.

Had a recent change of heart as to what specialty I want to go into, hence the username. After looking at charting outcomes and such I'm pretty sure I'll match somewhere (hopefully) but just want to know if I'm basically relegated to only community programs or if I can shoot for low-tier university programs. Oh and only looking at DR.
Also my med school resume is heavily geared towards neurology. How important is having a rads geared resume?
Thanks

Top 5% of class

Hey there! We have nearly identical stats so I'd thought I would let you know how I did this application cycle. I had a (not 1st author) radiology paper submitted for publication the time ERAS was submitted, got accepted but I didn't update the programs on that info (so as far as they knew for interviews, my only publications were in basic science). Admittedly, the top programs did ask about my radiology research, but it didn't seem like a vital part of the interview. So, if you feel driven to do research or perhaps want a career in academics and want to get your feet wet, I would advise trying to get a research project started. It shows you more of the field and helps you get right on the cutting edge.

Of the top 20 programs (according to Doximity), I was invited to interview at all except Duke (rejection) and I didn't apply in NYC. According to Doximity, Vanderbilt is not really "top tier," but it might be within certain areas of radiology (those "top" lists are all a load of crap anyway). Apply to the top places, but keep in mind what makes a place "top" for you.

Hope this helps :) Your stats are stellar and you will be rolling in interview invites and... a few flat out rejections.

Hi all,

Congrats on seeing the light! Your step scores won't close any doors, but IR is likely going to be the most competitive specialty (same/more than derm/plastics). So get some IR research going, do an away rotation or 2 in places you're really interested in or to try to get yourself on one of the coasts.

Bit of unsolicited advice (and this may not apply to you at all), make sure you're also passionate about diagnostic radiology and dont just see your first 3 years of residency as a means to an end. When I was interviewing at MGH the PD made a point to say that they were really focused on getting IR residents who are also passionate about DR so that they will be good coworkers/team player for the majority of their residency (aka the DR part). She said it in plain English, but I'm sure all other PD's are doing the same, and it makes sense.

As far as control as to where you go, I wouldn't count on it for top programs. Think of how you would line up if you switched from neurosurg to plastic surg or derm and that will probably be the same for IR. But aim high (and middle, and low) and see what comes in. Good luck!

Hi all,

Oh and as far as your partner is concerned, the UCSF PD has connections in biotech and can help your partner find a job (or that's what she offered us). I imagine couldn't be too hard in Palo Alto either since the PD himself and other faculty are themselves involved in biotech.

Congrats on seeing the light! Your step scores won't close any doors, but IR is likely going to be the most competitive specialty (same/more than derm/plastics). So get some IR research going, do an away rotation or 2 in places you're really interested in or to try to get yourself on one of the coasts.

Bit of unsolicited advice (and this may not apply to you at all), make sure you're also passionate about diagnostic radiology and dont just see your first 3 years of residency as a means to an end. When I was interviewing at MGH the PD made a point to say that they were really focused on getting IR residents who are also passionate about DR so that they will be good coworkers/team player for the majority of their residency (aka the DR part). She said it in plain English, but I'm sure all other PD's are doing the same, and it makes sense.

As far as control as to where you go, I wouldn't count on it for top programs. Think of how you would line up if you switched from neurosurg to plastic surg or derm and that will probably be the same for IR. But aim high (and middle, and low) and see what comes in. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice and honest appraisal! I've just jumped on a couple of IR projects, and I'll start looking into aways--particularly in the bay area given what you said about the UCSF PD. Nothing else to do but work hard and keep fingers crossed. But yeah, it makes complete sense IR PDs would want to weed out anyone who doesn't have a passion for DR, given that the emergence of a path to IR cert that doesn't pass through DR residency has caused IR to explode in popularity. I mean, if you don't like radiology, probably not a good idea to do something with radiology in the name, to put it glibly.

Thank you for the advice and honest appraisal! I've just jumped on a couple of IR projects, and I'll start looking into aways--particularly in the bay area given what you said about the UCSF PD. Nothing else to do but work hard and keep fingers crossed. But yeah, it makes complete sense IR PDs would want to weed out anyone who doesn't have a passion for DR, given that the emergence of a path to IR cert that doesn't pass through DR residency has caused IR to explode in popularity. I mean, if you don't like radiology, probably not a good idea to do something with radiology in the name, to put it glibly.

you'd be surprised. I know quite a few people who have no DR interest and would not be interested in DR if IR didn't exist.

NON US-IMG YOG: 2014 - Dec. (i will need a visa j1 or h1)
Step 1: 243 (jun 2015)
Step 2: 238 (september 2015)
Step 2 cs: pass (dec 2015)
Step 3: gonna take it on february 2017.
All first attemp.
Ecfmg issued: feb 2016.
spent some time working as a general practicioner in latin america .

got a US rotation (university program) in rads for 4 months. got 5 US lors.

Research: submited 5 abstracs to ASNR (still waiting for an answer), 1 pub not rads no 1st author.

gonna apply to every single program than sponsor a visa (around 150 rad programs, excluding thoose in california and those who dosent sponsor a visa).

So honnestly WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?

Posting on behalf of a friend!
MD student unranked NE looking to go into DR only
Step 2: Will take after apps go in
Rotations: Mix of Pass (surgery, psych, IM) and High Pass (ob, FM)
Research: Second Author on a Radiology case report. Will start and probably have an abstract and submitted manuscript in Radiology.
Strong LORs

He is interested areas are Boston (BID,BU,Tufts?), NYC (Sinai, Monte?) , Philly (Jefferson, Temple), USC + Cali community (Kaiser, UCLA-harbor, cedars, Santa Clara), Texas (UTSW, UT-H, Baylor, Baylor-Houston) and UNC. What are his chances and do you have recommendations for other programs?

Osteopathic student
Step 1: 260-265 (COMLEX was above 760 but who cares)
Step 2: Haven't taken
Rotations: Mostly honors, some high pass.
Strong, personal letter from an IM preceptor as well as a strong letter from a community DR attending.
Zero research (looking to do some next year, had no access this year).

What are my chances of matching into a decent university program? I'm looking to do ESIR ideally. No location preference.

Would I be competitive for a program like Yale or Jefferson or UPMC or is that too much of a reach?

As far as raw stats are concerned, you're in solid shape for the tier of programs that you've listed. However, having zero in terms of research is not ideal, plus I don't really know if those programs are DO-friendly or not either. You definitely have a shot but try to get some research on board to be more competitive.

Posting on behalf of a friend!
MD student unranked NE looking to go into DR only
Step 2: Will take after apps go in
Rotations: Mix of Pass (surgery, psych, IM) and High Pass (ob, FM)
Research: Second Author on a Radiology case report. Will start and probably have an abstract and submitted manuscript in Radiology.
Strong LORs

He is interested areas are Boston (BID,BU,Tufts?), NYC (Sinai, Monte?) , Philly (Jefferson, Temple), USC + Cali community (Kaiser, UCLA-harbor, cedars, Santa Clara), Texas (UTSW, UT-H, Baylor, Baylor-Houston) and UNC. What are his chances and do you have recommendations for other programs?

I would say he's certainly competitive for the majority of programs that you've listed; UTSW/BID/Jefferson may be a bit of a stretch with the lack of research and third year performance, but it isn't like he shouldn't apply at all. In my opinion throw out some top tier programs as "reaches" but definitely apply broadly to mid/upper-level academic programs (you can use doximity as a GENERAL guide).

NON US-IMG YOG: 2014 - Dec. (i will need a visa j1 or h1)
Step 1: 243 (jun 2015)
Step 2: 238 (september 2015)
Step 2 cs: pass (dec 2015)
Step 3: gonna take it on february 2017.
All first attemp.
Ecfmg issued: feb 2016.
spent some time working as a general practicioner in latin america .

got a US rotation (university program) in rads for 4 months. got 5 US lors.

Research: submited 5 abstracs to ASNR (still waiting for an answer), 1 pub not rads no 1st author.

gonna apply to every single program than sponsor a visa (around 150 rad programs, excluding thoose in california and those who dosent sponsor a visa).

So honnestly WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?

Your scores/research will get you a shot at some mid-tier programs but having the IMG label on you is not the greatest situation to be in. That being said, you seem to have the right idea of applying anywhere and everywhere that you can (including more community programs). You will no doubt get interviews, just make the most of it when they come along.

Current M3

School: MD School in Texas
Preclinical: A's and B's
Clinical so far: Honors in peds, psych, OB, high pass in family, and hopefully the rest of my core rotations will be as strong.
Step 1: 233
Class Percentile: First two years--40th%
Research: 6 papers/presentations/abstracts to my name. No first author, mainly third or fourth author with one second author. All surgery related, mainly from the same project. One rejected first author publication in radiology, not really sure if I should list that or not, may or may not try and get it published elsewhere, considering maybe just submitting it somewhere else before I submit ERAS so I can say I have a first author rad pub submitted and pending.
ECs: normal med school stuff, interest group president, community volunteering etc etc.
Letters: so far one from former rad PD, strong letter from family attending,
AOA: not counting on it

I know step1 is below average, but hopefully should get me past the initial screens. I will be broadly applying, I'm looking for input at my chances of matching to a university program, ideally in the south. Thanks for your time!

Current M3

School: MD School in Texas
Preclinical: A's and B's
Clinical so far: Honors in peds, psych, OB, high pass in family, and hopefully the rest of my core rotations will be as strong.
Class Percentile: First two years--40th%
Research: 6 papers/presentations/abstracts to my name. No first author, mainly third or fourth author with one second author. All surgery related, mainly from the same project. One rejected first author publication in radiology, not really sure if I should list that or not, may or may not try and get it published elsewhere, considering maybe just submitting it somewhere else before I submit ERAS so I can say I have a first author rad pub submitted and pending.
ECs: normal med school stuff, interest group president, community volunteering etc etc.
Letters: so far one from former rad PD, strong letter from family attending,
AOA: not counting on it

I know step1 is below average, but hopefully should get me past the initial screens. I will be broadly applying, I'm looking for input at my chances of matching to a university program, ideally in the south. Thanks for your time!

The chances are good! The south isn't as competitive. There are plenty of southern programs you can get interviews at but it'll be a reach at the more prestigious southern university programs. Your medicine and surgery grades will be important too

Hey Everyone! I'm a current M3 that's really interested in Radiology. I know my Step 1 isn't competitive but what are my chances of getting a match in an urban area? I don't care for the name of the place, location is more important. How many programs do you think I should apply to?

School: MD in Illinois
Preclinical: All Passes
Clinical so far: All High Passes
Step 1: 211
Research: 1 publication in during med school, not first author.

Hey guys,

I posted on here a while ago and I'm still considering radiology. My question is how important is research in RADIOLOGY. I've done two projects in med school, one in cards and one in GI (nothing published), but nothing in rads so far and I'm just wondering if thats ok.

Thanks,

Hey guys,

I posted on here a while ago and I'm still considering radiology. My question is how important is research in RADIOLOGY. I've done two projects in med school, one in cards and one in GI (nothing published), but nothing in rads so far and I'm just wondering if thats ok.

Thanks,

It's really impossible to say without knowing more about your application. If you have a 210 on step I, it's going to be considerably more important. On the other hand, if you have a 250 and solid grades it really won't matter much with maybe the exception of top academic programs. If you have any free time I'd recommend trying to write up a radiology case report or two, they're fairly easy to do and it can't do anything but help your application regardless of your scores/grades.

Non-US IMG (Canadian) MD @ Top 3 school in Caribbean
Step 1: 241
Step 2: TBD
2 publications, 1 in radiology (1st author)
Top 5% of class
ECs include TAing multiple subjects (including Rad, Path, Anat, Pharm, Micro), founding school Radiology group, volunteering in health fairs, membership in RSNA, etc.

I only want Diagnostic Radiology (I don't want anything else), will apply everywhere and go wherever I can get in.
Hoping for university program because I think I want to both teach and practice (which means I have to do a fellowship correct? Still unsure how to get into the teaching aspects)

What are my chances? Is there anything I should be doing to increase my chances?

School: Unranked MD school in midwest
Grades: Mix of pass/honors in M1/M2. Mostly passes with one high pass in M3 so far.
Research: Some posters from undergrad. First author pub in med school, not in radiology. Might have another poster at a school fair by the time I apply.
ECs: E-board positions in a couple orgs, including the radiology group

Looking at mid-tier academic institutions in the midwest and east coast. I know my Step 1 is not great and my clinical grades are poor as well. Will try to improve on Step 2 and future rotations. What are my chances here? I have sorted into some tiers:

Longshots: Northwestern, Michigan, UPMC, Wisconsin, Mayo, CCF, UVa, Hopkins, Vanderbilt
Decent chance: OSU, Minnesota, Henry Ford, Beaumont, Iowa, MCW
Good chance: Most community programs in the midwest, UToledo, UI-Peoria
No clue where I stand: Indiana, Thomas Jefferson, Loyola, Rush, Brown, UNC, Wake Forest

Is this accurate? Will my clinical grades hold me back from some of the middle of the pack program as well? Would appreciate any advice on what programs to apply to.