FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the response @recycledpaper ! It is comforting to know I have a shot! I will continue to bump up my research and focus on 3rd year rotations/stepII. I had started investigating the NIH Medical scholar research program to see the possibility of taking a research year off but it seems to be more competitive than matching emory rads.

Members don't see this ad.

Taking a year off is definitely not necessary. Just focus on your third year rotations and you should be set. When you start applying for residency programs I would recommend personalizing the last paragraph of your Emory personal personal statement indicating why you're so interested in their program. Good luck.

Thanks for the response @recycledpaper ! It is comforting to know I have a shot! I will continue to bump up my research and focus on 3rd year rotations/stepII. I had started investigating the NIH Medical scholar research program to see the possibility of taking a research year off but it seems to be more competitive than matching emory rads.

I have posted my stats before but would like to know which programs are a realistic goal for me. I would like to match in the best program possible with these stats. Any ideas what these programs might be and which are reaches?

School: US MD-Not ranked/low tier
Step 1: 240
Step 2: 245
AOA status: Nope
Rotations: Honors in Surgery, IM, Psych, Rads, and FM. High pass in Peds and ObGyn.
Research: All of them in basic sciences. One during medical school in physiology (no pubs) + couple research projects during undergrad. Oral presentations and poster presentations during undergrad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
a quick overview.
USIMG
step 1:252
step 2 : 245
LORs: two great letters from radiologist ( 1 from PD), one letter from IR
3 case reports, 2 posters, no publications
going to apply to 35 programs

any thoughts on my chances?

How tough is it to match in California if I attend a California MD school? I've already added all of the California programs to my list but expect that it will be hard to stay in state.

Step 1: 253, CK: 255
Research: 1 poster presentation and 1 oral presentation with no publications.
LORs: 1 radiology, 2 IM, 1 FM
Honors: 2, no high pass at my school
No AOA at school
ECs: Tutoring med students, HS, and undergrad, officer in radiology interest group

I'm currently a 4th year at a mid-tier medical school in Texas.

My stats
- Step 1 - 265+, Step 2 CK - 265+
- Junior AOA
- All but 1 honors in 3rd year
- 1 poster, 1 oral presentation, and 1 abstract in local events, none of them in

IR programs (35 total)
- East - Albert Einstein, BWH, Duke, Georgetown, MGH, Medical University of South Carolina, UNC, Penn, Virginia, UPMC
- West - Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, Arizona, UCSD, Colorado, USC, Washington
- South - Emory, LSU, Ohio State University, Arkansas, Florida Jacksonville, USF, UT Health, UTHSCSA, UT Southwestern, Vanderbilt, WashU
- Midwest - Northwestern, MCW, UIC, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota

DR programs (40 total)
- East - BWH, Duke, Georgetown, MGH, Medical University of South Carolina, UNC, Penn, Virginia, UPMC, Johns Hopkins
- South - BCM, BUMC, Emory, Ohio State University, Arkansas, Texas A&M, USF, UTMB, UT Health, UTHSCSA, UT Southwestern, Vanderbilt, WashU, Oklahoma
- Midwest - Northwestern, MCW, UIC, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Indiana, Cleveland Clinic

I'm also applying to 10 prelim surgery programs. I really want to match into an integrated IR program, I don't know if that is feasible with how competitive the programs seem to be.

Medical school: low tier MD school in the southeast

Preclinical: Top 3 in the class

Clinical: Honors in all required rotations (psychiatry, family medicine, pediatrics, internal medicine, OB-GYN, surgery).

Step 1: 257
Step 2: 259

Research: 1 project in radiology, and another in a different specialty. No publications. I will hopefully have a rads poster to present at a local meeting by the end of the year.

Extracurricular: The usual, leadership in clubs, tutoring, etc.

I'd be very grateful for an opinion, especially in regard to programs out west, and of course in the south. I'm thinking Oregon, Washington state, California, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Texas, and southeastern programs along the coast.

I'm currently a 4th year at a mid-tier medical school in Texas.

My stats
- Step 1 - 265+, Step 2 CK - 265+
- Junior AOA
- All but 1 honors in 3rd year
- 1 poster, 1 oral presentation, and 1 abstract in local events, none of them in

IR programs (35 total)
- East - Albert Einstein, BWH, Duke, Georgetown, MGH, Medical University of South Carolina, UNC, Penn, Virginia, UPMC
- South - Emory, LSU, Ohio State University, Arkansas, Florida Jacksonville, USF, UT Health, UTHSCSA, UT Southwestern, Vanderbilt, WashU
- Midwest - Northwestern, MCW, UIC, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota

DR programs (40 total)
- East - BWH, Duke, Georgetown, MGH, Medical University of South Carolina, UNC, Penn, Virginia, UPMC, Johns Hopkins
- South - BCM, BUMC, Emory, Ohio State University, Arkansas, Texas A&M, USF, UTMB, UT Health, UTHSCSA, UT Southwestern, Vanderbilt, WashU, Oklahoma
- Midwest - Northwestern, MCW, UIC, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Indiana, Cleveland Clinic

I'm also applying to 10 prelim surgery programs. I really want to match into an integrated IR program, I don't know if that is feasible with how competitive the programs seem to be.

You both should consider Mayo AZ. Check out their faculty--former program director of UCSF (Gotway), program director at UI-Chicago (Knuttinen) and associate PD of Mallinckrodt (Menias) now at Mayo AZ, with a plethora of other great faculty. Could be the best program in the Southwest.

One thing to keep in mind is that the state of AZ has relatively few fellowship programs now that Mayo has balanced their educational program by establishing a residency program. Mayo used to have 9 fellows/year and was the leader of putting out fellowship trained radiologists in AZ, but now that they've transitioned to having a 4/year residency, they only have 4 fellows/year (they did this to establish a "resident-favorable" program). Outside of Neuroradiology at Barrows, Mayo has the best DR fellowships in the state, and probably in the Southwest (not including California). What this means is that by training at Mayo you have an inside track to a limited opportunity (fellowship training in AZ)--helpful if you want to establish connections to practices in Phoenix/AZ.

Furthermore, if interested in IR, Mayo has already established an ESIR pathway that can take at least 2 of the 4 residents every year (I'm told it could be up to 3 of the 4 residents, since they also partner with Phoenix Children's Hospital, which has its own IR service). Moreover, Mayo is currently working to establish an Independent IR residency with no plans for an Integrated IR residency. The beauty of being a DR resident in a program that only has an independent model of IR residency is that they will likely preferentially take internal residents who complete ESIR in their last year of DR. It's a great model for residents who want to get the best DR training possible but still transition to IR if that's what they want to do.

Guys, please help me out with figuring out which DR programs I should be targeting.

My stats:
School - Top 5 US medical school
Step 1 - 228 (I was very disappointed in myself :()
Step 2 CK - 245
Clinical grades - 1/2 HP's and 1/2 P's, H in radiology elective rotation
Research - 3 abstracts presented at national medical conventions and 1 poster, 1 abstract and case study on the way
LORs - 3 very strong letters from radiology faculties at our school and one of my PI's
ECs - 1 leadership position in my medical school class, multiple volunteer activities without leadership positions, a lot of software enginnering related activities and projects, some closely related to radiology

Should I aim for mid-tier school as target schools and low-tier schools and community-based programs as my safety schools? Or do I even have a shot at radiology programs with such subpar Step scores?

My guess is that with your Step 2 improvement and being from a top 5 med school (+ letters from what I assume a pretty well known faculty), you will have a chance at even some good programs. The top tier heavily selects from its peers from what I remember seeing on match lists. Can't hurt to apply.

Would like insight into where I should be expecting interviews
School: Low tier MD
Step 1: 230
Step 2: 254
Clinical: Passes and HP's and honors in radiology
Research: 2 posters, 1 case study
Volunteer: numerous community and school volunteering projects/leadership roles
LOR's: 2 Rads, 2 IM
Applied around NYC, North NJ, Philli, Boston, Baltimore
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pulling out of the match this year. Was set on ENT but I've lost my love for the OR. Had a radiology elective in October and I really like the field so I will be switching into it for next cycle since it appears its too late for this one; want to avoid scrambling and try to get into the best program I can.

Mid-low tier? MD
Step 1: 250+
Step 2: Just took it. Practice tests were in the 250s, 260s
Clerkships: No honors. 3 HP, the rest all Passes
-Note: my school gives out <10% honors
Research: 1 first-author pub in garbage journal, 5 posters-all in ENT

I was hoping for some general advice on what I can do to prepare for next year. Also, I was wondering how competitive I would be for the arbitrary tiers of top 20 and 21-50 on doximity

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Pulling out of the match this year and delaying graduation. Was set on a competitive surgical-subspecialty but I've lost my love for the OR. Had a radiology elective in October and I really like the field so I will be switching into it for next cycle since it appears its too late for this one; want to avoid scrambling and try to get into the best program I can.

Mid-low tier? MD
Step 1: 255
-Note: my school requires 90th percentile (nationally) on the shelf + >50% honors evals for honors. Never got over 90th percentile on a Shelf so no honors for me
Research: 1 first-author pub in garbage journal, 5 posters-all in surgical subspecialty

I was hoping for some general advice on what I can do to prepare for next year. Also, I was wondering how competitive I would be for the arbitrary tiers of top 20 and 21-50 on doximity

Apply broadly and you will get lots of good interviews. Getting some rads research and good letters can go a long way.

So I'm thinking of withdrawing my application. Was previously very interested in Emergency Medicine, but after some soul-searching I don't think it is the right field for me. I was wondering if you guys thought I had any shot in the field of DR for the match. I know my step scores are a bit lower than preferred. Just curious if you think with the benefit of the next 6-7 months of research that I had a good chance at matching to a program in the Northeast?

School: Low tier MD, in Northeast
Step 1: 232
Step 2: 238
Clinical: Passes and HP's and Honors in EM Rotations
Research: nothing radiology related yet, some onc stuff from 1-2nd year
Volunteer: numerous community and school volunteering projects/leadership roles

let me know if you think it is worth exploring radiology research and if that could push me into being a competitive applicant or if it might just be too hard to make up for the step scores.

Thanks for the help!

You'll still get several interview with those scores. Apply broadly.

Pulling out of the match this year. Was set on ENT but I've lost my love for the OR. Had a radiology elective in October and I really like the field so I will be switching into it for next cycle since it appears its too late for this one; want to avoid scrambling and try to get into the best program I can.

Mid-low tier? MD
Step 1: 250+
-Note: my school gives out <10% honors
Research: 1 first-author pub in garbage journal, 5 posters-all in ENT

What are you going to do on your year off? If you get some pubs or research experience some rads, it will be helpful. With your score alone though, you'll certainly interview at some top 20's and certainly the 21's-50.

Just looking for a little advice on how to strengthen my application. I was pretty much set on pathology but I just completed a radiology elective and absolutely loved it. I am interested in diagnostic academics/research, but I don't have any rads research, which I'm sure will hurt me. I also don't have a home program, which doesn't help. A little more about me:

School: Low-tier MD in the south.
Step 1: 267
Step 2: N/A
Pre-clinical: All Honors
Clinical: Honors in surgery, family, IM, Psych; Have yet to take Peds or OB
Class rank: Top 10%
AOA: Maybe?
Research: 1 publication, 2 presentations and a master's degree prior to medical school; 1 poster, 2 presentations, 1 abstract during medical school but none of this is in rads
EC's: Typical school/community volunteering and projects

I realize that my school rank and my lack of rads research will negatively affect my app, but I'm not sure how much. Is there anything I can do at this point to make up for this, particularly for schools such as Duke, Michigan, Emory, Vanderbilt, UVA, UAB, and UNC?

Just looking for a little advice on how to strengthen my application. I was pretty much set on pathology but I just completed a radiology elective and absolutely loved it. I am interested in diagnostic academics/research, but I don't have any rads research, which I'm sure will hurt me. I also don't have a home program, which doesn't help. A little more about me:

Research: 1 publication, 2 presentations and a master's degree prior to medical school; 1 poster, 2 presentations, 1 abstract during medical school but none of this is in rads

I realize that my school rank and my lack of rads research will negatively affect my app, but I'm not sure how much. Is there anything I can do at this point to make up for this, particularly for schools such as Duke, Michigan, Emory, Vanderbilt, UVA, UAB, and UNC?
Sky is the limit. With a masters degree, your board scores, and an obvious interest in research you should get interviews at all of those programs. The lack of rads specific research won’t hurt you because programs know that a lot of people are late switchers into radiology. The fact that you have some research is a big plus and it gives you something to talk about when they ask about it at interviews.

Feel free to PM me if you want more specific information from a current rads applicant with a similar application

Don't sweat the lack of rads research. Programs look at any research favorably. Masters is a big plus. I have a similar application and applied to those programs (with the exception of UMich and UAB). Got interviews at all besides Duke. Plenty of folks from “low tier” MD schools in the south during my Emory, UVA, and UNC interviews. Hopping on a rads project during fourth year isn't 100% necessary but will give you something to talk about during interviews. If you have an interest in a top program like Duke doing an away may help since your school doesn't have a home program. PM if you have any questions!

School: NE Osteopathic School. Current 3rd year
Step 1: 217.
Step 2: Taking in June (I know my mistakes that I made when studying for step 1)
Pre-clinical: All Passes
Clinical: All Passes so far :( (My school makes it so hard to honor). Still have yet to take Peds, Psych and IM.
Class rank: Middle of the pack
Research: 1 poster presented at a Rads conference. Working on 2 other rads papers, and 1 surgery paper. Should be all published by the time I apply.
EC's: Went abroad, lots of fluff activities. Typical school/community volunteering and projects. Important position of my campus's radiology club.
LOR: So far I got a strong letter from my surgery rotation, and I know ill have a strong letter from my radiology PI.

I only want DR anywhere at this point, preferably in the NE but ill take wherever. I do not care about IR or ESIR. I would like a brutally honest answer. I have shown an interest in radiology throughout med school. I am 100% set on radiology, but if there is a really great chance that I will not match, then I need to reconsider soon.

I am planning on applying to every community program out there. Is there a chance that I can even apply to mid-tiers? What kind of step 2 score would I need? Anyone else who was in a similar boat have a strategy as to how they planned out their 4th year?

School: NE Osteopathic School. Current 3rd year
Step 2: Taking in June (I know my mistakes that I made when studying for step 1)
Clinical: All Passes so far :( (My school makes it so hard to honor). Still have yet to take Peds, Psych and IM.
Research: 1 poster presented at a Rads conference. Working on 2 other rads papers, and 1 surgery paper. Should be all published by the time I apply.
EC's: Went abroad, lots of fluff activities. Typical school/community volunteering and projects. Important position of my campus's radiology club.
LOR: So far I got a strong letter from my surgery rotation, and I know ill have a strong letter from my radiology PI.

I only want DR anywhere at this point, preferably in the NE but ill take wherever. I do not care about IR or ESIR. I would like a brutally honest answer. I have shown an interest in radiology throughout med school. I am 100% set on radiology, but if there is a really great chance that I will not match, then I need to reconsider soon.

I am planning on applying to every community program out there. Is there a chance that I can even apply to mid-tiers? What kind of step 2 score would I need? Anyone else who was in a similar boat have a strategy as to how they planned out their 4th year?

There are enough programs out there that you probably still do have a shot, especially if you can crush 2CK. Your rads interest/involvement will help, I would try to do some aways at places that are going to be good chances for you (local community programs, etc) to get your foot in the door. Apply broadly. Try hard to honor your final M3 courses, take radiology early and try to get a great letter.

3rd year DO student. 250+ Step 1, Honors and HP on CLINICALS
Awarded summer research fellowship grant on non-radiology research project ( not 1st author though)
2 Poster presentations on the research ( 1 of which was award winning) at conferences.

I am basically unsure of where to even apply, or what programs to look at. I am not picky, would be elated with mid-tier or even low tier academic programs on East Coast (if possible North East).

Also how many aways in rads should I try and organize? Would an extra research month during mid-4th year help me?

Thank you all for this amazing advice and guidance on this thread.

3rd year DO student. 250+ Step 1, Honors and HP on CLINICALS
Awarded summer research fellowship grant on non-radiology research project ( not 1st author though)
2 Poster presentations on the research ( 1 of which was award winning) at conferences.

I am basically unsure of where to even apply, or what programs to look at. I am not picky, would be elated with mid-tier or even low tier academic programs on East Coast (if possible North East).

Also how many aways in rads should I try and organize? Would an extra research month during mid-4th year help me?

Thank you all for this amazing advice and guidance on this thread.

You will match at a good place. Mid-tiers are definitely open to you, make sure you apply in the Midwest too because it is particularly DO friendly compared to the rest of the country and you can match at some very good programs (unless you are tied to the East Coast).

1-2 aways is probably fine, one of those should be IR if you are interested in that. Do it in areas that you want to match. Try to do those early and get good letters from well known people in the area. The research month I recommend for your own sanity, probably won't make a difference in your app at all.

Interested in DR

School:
T20 MD school
Step 1: 242
Pre-clinical: Pass (my school is P/F preclinicals)
Clinical: very mediocre: 2 Pass (surgery and peds), 1 High Pass (psych), and 1 Honors (ob-gyne). I still have neuro and medicine pending.
Class rank: Average
Research: I have 1 rads related poster presentation, no other pubs from med school thus far, 1 publication from undergrad, but it was not medically related; currently working to find more research
EC's: several volunteering and mentoring experiences, officer of school's radiology interest group
LOR: So far, I can count on a strong letter from my radiology PI

I'm not aiming for top programs. I just want to know if I have a shot at a decent, mid-tier academic DR program. I would ideally like to be on the NY-NJ area since I am from there, but I am very flexible in terms of location. With my stats, would doing an away rotation be recommended? If so, which programs should I consider if I want to do an away?

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
Interested in DR

School: NE MD school
Step 1: 225
Pre-clinical: Pass (school is P/F preclinicals)
Clinical: 2 Pass (surgery and psych), 2 High Pass (medicine, neurology). Ob/Gyn and Peds are pending
Class rank: Not sure, but probably average/below average
Research: I am currently working on a rads paper that I will likely have published as 2nd author. I also had some summer rads research that, unfortunately, didn't amount to anything. My PI is helping me find more projects to work on.
EC's: very little volunteering experience
LOR: Planning to get one from a family medicine doc with whom I worked very closely in 3rd year and who gave me very good comments/grade. Hoping to get one from my 4th year radiology rotation and medicine sub-i.

I want to get into a decent academic program, and it doesn't really matter to me where in the country I end up. Texas and the Northeast region are preferred. I do want to end up practicing in California someday, because I have family there. I know it's going to be very difficult to go directly to California for residency, so I was thinking I could do a fellowship there after residency. My advisor (a radiologist) has told me to consider doing an away, possibly in Texas, but I think I will personally have a tough time doing well on such a rotation.

I really would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Looking for some feedback on what to do at this point. Recently found out my step 1 score and obviously very disappointed. Not where I hoped or thought I'd be. Still set on DR (I feel IR is now out the window) and wondering what I should do. My interests have wavered between IR & DR for years, with Pediatric Radiology being something that has become more interesting, and thus tilting me towards DR.

3rd year med student
Mid-tier MD
Step 1 204
Step 2 Pending → will be taking in a few months and I am going to do everything I possibly can to knock it out of the park.
Clerkships 4P, two pending, but with clinical honors and good evaluations in most, honored the shelf on the only one I didn't get clinical honors :p

Aways: I plan on doing as many aways as I can, hoping it can help me stand out. I'm debating the value in doing an away in IR & possibly DR, but unsure of the yield of DR aways.
Research: A fair amount.

Pre-med: several & during med school several research experiences with presentations and case reports, with two manuscripts submitted in IR adjacent fields.

ECs:
Worked throughout med school, lots of leadership in local committees and volunteering. almost 2 years of SIR (RFS/MSC involvement & leadership). Other unique ECs

Regarding programs I have no idea what is a reach or not but my wife would love to head back west, and I would love to go to an academic institution if possible, and somewhere I could get a good fellowship, but here it goes:

Reaches:?

Anything IR. Academic Programs.

Target Programs:
West Coast would be great in IR or DR, otherwise open to anywhere.

Safer Programs:
?

Overall I plan to apply SUPER broadly no matter what. thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I also posted this in another forum, and I have posted my story multiple times on this site, but I will throw it here again.

For people with low step score(s) Expect a bumpy road, but do not allow Step 1 to become your scarlet number. I didn't have spectacular numbers myself:
Step 1: 214
Step 2 229

Got 11 interviews which in general went very well, however I did not match. It was a miserable SOAP week that I wouldn't wish to my worst enemy. However I ended up soaping into the program that I am currently in, and things have gone well.

I ended up passing the core exam first take, have had a fellowship lined up for me since my R2 year (non-match), had 3 very early job interviews through networking at AUR, 2 job offers, and now I have accepted a faculty position (Before I even start my fellowship) at a great academic program in the state I want to live in. The USMLE can shove it.

My point is, never give up. You know what you have to do first and foremost:
1. Build up the rest of your credentials and PROVE that your step 1 was just an aberration.
2. Be open minded about the location and type of residency. "Beggars cannot be choosers".
3. You have to get your feet in the door of programs in order to avoid being the victim of the filter.
4. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
5. Do NOT let a number define you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hey all! First time posting. Interested in DR and programs with ESIR, considering applying IR integrated but don't think I currently have a great app for integrated programs.

School: Top 20 MD school with highly-regarded rads dept.

Step 1: 255

Pre-clinical: Pass (school is P/F preclinicals)

Clinical:
Medicine: H
Peds: H
Ob-GYN: HP [grrrr]
Surgery: H
Neurology: H
Psych: H

Class rank: Not sure because don't know how the preclinical grades get factored in with clinical grades, I'd say 50/50 I get AOA.

Research: Currently working on an IR research project, but no pubs in rads. All my medical school research is in radonc. 1 first author abstract, 1 first author poster at institution conference, 1 second author abstract, 1 fourth author pub. A few third-fourth author abstracts in nsg and oncology.

Non-medical research: 4 second author patents, ~6 assorted first-sixth author papers in random trade journals for the electronics industry.

EC's: Consulting work for company I co-founded before med school (some research above related), very little volunteering experience.

LOR: Getting a Surgery letter from my service's attending, they liked me a lot and it will be strong. Getting a Medicine letter from one of my medicine attendings who is very active in the alumni network of my school, it will also be strong. Currently have NO Radiology letters lined up because I got on the train late.

Aiming for top DR programs inclusive particularly of UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, NYU, Stanford, UPenn. Would also like to know how competitive am I for integrated IR in general? Also, thoughts on how likely you are to be able to get on the ESIR pathway given you're a resident at a program that has it?

Last edited:
231 Step 1, 1 H (Psych) and 1 HP (Surgery) rest pass. Top 10 med school. 3 published manuscripts (2x ophtho and 1x neurosurgery from undergrad) 11-12 published abstracts (4 ophtho, 7 Surgery, 1 rads, 1 global health). Working on rads manuscript right now (likely middle author). IR elective coming up but I am realistic and know my chances are low for IR, I am looking to do DR->ESIR route.

Would appreciate honest advice. Hoping to match in a university program in a major city

231 Step 1, 1 H (Psych) and 1 HP (Surgery) rest pass. Top 10 med school. 3 published manuscripts (2x ophtho and 1x neurosurgery from undergrad) 11-12 published abstracts (4 ophtho, 7 Surgery, 1 rads, 1 global health). Working on rads manuscript right now (likely middle author). IR elective coming up but I am realistic and know my chances are low for IR, I am looking to do DR->ESIR route.

Would appreciate honest advice. Hoping to match in a university program in a major city

You will get great interviews. Coming from a top 10 school is playing with house money. I'd bet you can easily still land at a top 20 DR program, IR might be harder given the competitiveness but you will have a shot.

In my third year
School: DO school in southeast
Step one: 250
Level one: 704
Preclinical: barely top 50 percent class rank
Clinical: so far mostly honors and high pass with one pass
Not taken step/level 2 or PE yet
Research/EC: Zero research since starting med school. Do have a previous poster presentation but don't think that counts for much. My CV has next to nothing on it
LOR: two great letters from IM and Neurologist. No rad letter

My question is, as a DO student what are my chances matching acgme? Am I screwed because of the lack of research? Is it necessary to do away/audition rotations? Where can I look for DO friendly programs? I am truly clueless at this point.

Can you guys help me out with my chances at California programs (CA resident)?

School: T10 MD school
Step 1: 240
Step 2: 260
Pre-clinical: Pass
Clinical: Pretty bad: P in Psych, HP in Surgery, IM, ObGyn, Neuro, Peds, H in Radiology elective
Class rank: Pretty sure I'm in bottom quartile of my class
Research: One poster presentation, no pubs
EC's: Leadership in volunteering, mentoring, and radiology interest group
LOR: I think I can get 3 strong ones (1 from rads, 1 from IM, and 1 from Peds or Ob)
Unique background with overcoming poverty, 1st gen college/MD but I'm not sure if that's important for residency

Got 6 interviews this year, didn't match. What are my chances of reapplying?

Currently an MS4 DO. Scrambled into TRI with ACGME pre-accredited (they expect to
convert by January).
USMLE Step 1/2: 251/254
Research: one non radiology related poster
Clinicals: H in IM, Surgery, radiology. HP in others
EC: A mission trip
LOR: I thought I had 2 decent radiology letters. Also have an IM letter, one from a urologist and another from OB. No one ever brought up anything negative or questioned one of the letters.

Also, can I still applying for advanced programs if I don't get an R1 spot? Does that mean I just take a year off?

I'm a MS4 US IMG with 238/251 and no research who applied to diagnostic radiology this year and had 9 interviews but failed to match DR (ended up matching categorical IM). Searching for general advice, I am considering reapplying for just the R1 year. Anyone out there who was successfully able to match into an R1 year out of internship?

Now that the match happened and we saw how competitive this year got, just wanted to post this again. I dont know whether to double down on rads at this point, or need to dual apply, or frankly just give it up

School:
NE Osteopathic School. Current 3rd year

In my third year
School: DO school in southeast
Step one: 250
Level one: 704
Preclinical: barely top 50 percent class rank
Clinical: so far mostly honors and high pass with one pass
Not taken step/level 2 or PE yet
Research/EC: Zero research since starting med school. Do have a previous poster presentation but don't think that counts for much. My CV has next to nothing on it
LOR: two great letters from IM and Neurologist. No rad letter

My question is, as a DO student what are my chances matching acgme? Am I screwed because of the lack of research? Is it necessary to do away/audition rotations? Where can I look for DO friendly programs? I am truly clueless at this point.

DO here who just matched ACGME Radiology w/ very similar stats except I had mostly P and HP for clinicals. Minimal research, not Radiology related.

There are a lot of subtle things that people don't really think about but really affect where you get interviews (geography of your med school, for example), but you have the grades and scores to get plenty of interviews. Being a DO is your biggest hinderance, as you know. Either way, you're in a good spot to match. Even if you don't have a whole lot on your CV, at least list some interesting hobbies. Radiology interviews are pretty laid back and you will talk about your hobbies a lot. I don't think research is THAT important except for the very top academic programs, which, as a DO, you most likely won't be getting interviews for anyway.

You can PM me and I can give you a decent list of DO friendly programs, or if you have any other questions.

First post here.
I have been quietly observing sdn forum and seriously you all are amazing and have helped me during my usmle days. So thank you.

I am an FMG. YOG 2015 with 1 year mandatory service in my country so finished all in 2016. Aiming for general surgery and IM.
Took Step I in 2017: 225
Took Step II in 2017: 242
Step II CS in 2017: pass all first attempt

Research: none (one little research during med school days with no pubs so i think it doesnt count)
USCE: would do some gen surg externships and IM ones. Expecting a few LORS from them. Would apply to several univ observership programs if accepted.

Due to some reasons, geographically restricted to some states. I have looked it up and ended with around 30ish community and univ-affiliated programs and 60ish IM programs (community and univ-affiliated programs). how good are my chances for next match cycle? Thanks for helpful reply.

Is not listing any hobbies on ERAS going to hurt my chances at all? I don't have any normie hobbies.

Current third year
School: NE DO school
Step 1: 253
Level 1: 788
Pre-clinical: Almost all H, some HP
Clinical: H and HP, about split 50/50
Research: None.
EC's: Not much. No clubs or anything, just hospice volunteering and other local community (non-medical) stuff. I have some interesting stuff from my pre-medical years (travel, jobs) that was good to include to get into med school, but I'm not sure how much it matters now.
LOR: None so far. Asked for one from psych over 2 months ago, still waiting on it. He's not the greatest writer, so I'm not expecting a great letter there. Was hoping for a good letter from FM (my current rotation), but I'd likely get above average at best. Problem is I've worked almost entirely with residents throughout the year, very little one-on-one with attendings, so it's been tough to get strong letters. Or any, really.

How much would it hurt my app to basically apply with nothing but rads letters from my upcoming electives?

Current third year
School: NE DO school
Step 1: 253
Level 1: 788
Pre-clinical: Almost all H, some HP
Clinical: H and HP, about split 50/50
Research: None.
EC's: Not much. No clubs or anything, just hospice volunteering and other local community (non-medical) stuff. I have some interesting stuff from my pre-medical years (travel, jobs) that was good to include to get into med school, but I'm not sure how much it matters now.
LOR: None so far. Asked for one from psych over 2 months ago, still waiting on it. He's not the greatest writer, so I'm not expecting a great letter there. Was hoping for a good letter from FM (my current rotation), but I'd likely get above average at best. Problem is I've worked almost entirely with residents throughout the year, very little one-on-one with attendings, so it's been tough to get strong letters. Or any, really.

How much would it hurt my app to basically apply with nothing but rads letters from my upcoming electives?
Your board scores will carry you pretty far. I would say to apply with the strongest, most personal letters you can with at least one from a radiologist (but surprisingly the one letter my interviewers often brought up was one from a psychiatrist). The things that may be missing from exclusively radiology letters is core medical knowledge, presentation skills, and how you interact with patients and ancillary staff, which can be nice to see in a letter.

rising M4

School: Mid tier MD
Step 1: 247
Pre-clinical: first quartile
Clinical: H in Surgery and FM
Research: tons of cancer-related research
EC's: not much

What programs would I be competitive for? Do I have a shot at academic programs?
Any chance for me to match in California?

rising M4

School: Mid tier MD
Step 1: 247
Pre-clinical: first quartile
Clinical: H in Surgery and FM
Research: tons of cancer-related research
EC's: not much

What programs would I be competitive for? Do I have a shot at academic programs?
Any chance for me to match in California?

For research, pubs or experiences? If pubs, how many (ish)? Any first authors?

You'll be plenty competitive for mid to higher tier academic programs.

Any ties to California? Even if not, you'll have likely a chance at some of the lower (if there is a low tier in Calif) or mid tier Calif programs. Again, the pubs vs experience but no or few pubs will be a big factor.

On behalf of a friend.

"Hello everyone,

I am currently finishing my third year in osteopathic medicine, and I am very interested in pursuing radiology MD residency program.

I am currently in a position where I really need a sincere wise advise and everyone's contribution to this post would be highly apprecitaed. I would like to list my qualifications and then my questions come after:

1- 724 Comlex 1 score ~ 99 percentile in DO world (have not taken USMLE 1, I admit was huge mistake).
2- Top 10% in my class (Honored most of my pre-clinical courses).
3- Got Honors in most of my 3rd year clinical clerckships.
4- 2 years of basic science research before medical school (oral/poster presentations, awards, abstracts and bench work. No publications though other than abstracts in conference journals)

My question: At this phase of medical school with only 4 months far from MD match application (Sep 15), which option do you think would be better for me and will get me more interviews/high chance of matching:

1) Just focusing now on USMLE 1 and take it and apply with comlex 1 and USMLE 1 scores ONLY, and then take USMLE step 2/COMLEX 2 after and update the programs with my score of step 2 before the ranking

Or

2) Take the comlex 2 and step 2 now and apply with Comlex 1, comlex 2, and USMLE step 2 and then take USMLE step 1 and update the programs with my step 1 score before the ranking.

Which one is better option for me at this point and will get me more interviews?

P.S: there is no way to write all step 1, step 2 and comlex 2 and get them ready before Sep 15, so I have to do it as described above. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,"

On behalf of a friend.

"Hello everyone,

I am currently finishing my third year in osteopathic medicine, and I am very interested in pursuing radiology MD residency program.

I am currently in a position where I really need a sincere wise advise and everyone's contribution to this post would be highly apprecitaed. I would like to list my qualifications and then my questions come after:

1- 724 Comlex 1 score ~ 99 percentile in DO world (have not taken USMLE 1, I admit was huge mistake).
2- Top 10% in my class (Honored most of my pre-clinical courses).
3- Got Honors in most of my 3rd year clinical clerckships.
4- 2 years of basic science research before medical school (oral/poster presentations, awards, abstracts and bench work. No publications though other than abstracts in conference journals)

My question: At this phase of medical school with only 4 months far from MD match application (Sep 15), which option do you think would be better for me and will get me more interviews/high chance of matching:

1) Just focusing now on USMLE 1 and take it and apply with comlex 1 and USMLE 1 scores ONLY, and then take USMLE step 2/COMLEX 2 after and update the programs with my score of step 2 before the ranking

Or

2) Take the comlex 2 and step 2 now and apply with Comlex 1, comlex 2, and USMLE step 2 and then take USMLE step 1 and update the programs with my step 1 score before the ranking.

Which one is better option for me at this point and will get me more interviews?

P.S: there is no way to write all step 1, step 2 and comlex 2 and get them ready before Sep 15, so I have to do it as described above. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,"
My opinion is to do #1.

The most important thing is taking USMLE Step 1, which is in both plans.

However, #1 is better than #2 because Step 1 is worth more than Comlex 2 and USMLE 2 combined. This is especially true in Radiology. According to your plan you will still have Step 2 by ranking time, which might help a little. It would probably help having that score before September too, but much less than having USMLE Step 1. Since you said you can't have both by Sep 15, the choice is simple.

The DO bias is there but even DO friendly programs want to see the USMLE Step 1 to compare apples to apples with applicants.

You will most likely score 240+ on USMLE Step 1 based on your COMLEX.

Last edited:
School: DO School
Step 1: 245
Comlex 1: 734
Pre-clinical: top 10%
Clinical: HP in all. IOne letter from anesthesiologist thus far.
Research: several posters/presentations/awards in basic science, engineering, and clinic research. 1 Pub in the pipeline for basic science
EC's: significant volunteer/refugee work

My main interest is in IR. I know that as a DO applicant and my OKAY step score I am at a huge disadvantage. I'm willing to go to essentially any MD DR program to (hopefully) transition to IR via ESIR. What are my chances?