FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3rd year DO student wanting to end up in northeast. NY, PA, NJ, CT, DE. Just totally confused by this whole process.

249 USMLE
690 COMLEX
Don't have Step/Level 2 scores yet
Top 15% of class
DO school in south east
Good ECs

2 publications, One in rads (not first author) few posters and oral presentations.
Mostly Honors, 2 HP, no passes

Am I competitive for DR in my desired location?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
3rd year DO student wanting to end up in northeast. NY, PA, NJ, CT, DE. Just totally confused by this whole process.

249 USMLE
690 COMLEX
Don't have Step/Level 2 scores yet
Top 15% of class
DO school in south east
Good ECs

2 publications, One in rads (not first author) few posters and oral presentations.
Mostly Honors, 2 HP, no passes

Am I competitive for DR in my desired location?

I would definitely think so. I am a DO with similar stats and had a few interviews in your desired location. I do not think an away rotation is entirely necessary, but might be a good idea if you are deadset on a particular program in the area

Thank you so much! I appreciate your insight into my "CV" and advice on how to proceed moving forward. I'll be sure to get involved in rads research asap. I do have two follow-up questions if you don't mind.

1. What should I do about AIs? The earliest I can take an elective is July - the start of 4th year. While my home rads program has a bunch of different electives available, none of them are specifically designated as AIs. Should I seek them out at other institutions via VSAS?

2. I'm not familiar yet with the rankings of different DR programs. What's an example of a good academic program or a better-tier community program? Also, how do you define a "hybrid" program?

1. As far as I'm aware, there are no AI's in DR at any med schools (there weren't when I was an MS4 several years ago); if some have since been established, it's certainly not the norm. I'm sure IR AI's have been established at some places, but again it's not the norm. An AI in medicine or surgery will be fine. So, no; you don't need to a rads AI as they either don't exist at any institution or are scarce. Some people would expand the medicine or surgery as do it in anything, e.g., OB/GYN, peds, urology, or whatever is easiest. While this would almost certainly be ok, a neurotic person reviewing your application may think you're dual-applying to that specialty. Again, prob not but perhaps a reason to stick with traditional medicine or general surgery.

Two strategies: do it early to secure a better letter of rec or do it late in the academic year after interviews and focus on easy rotations early in MS4 to try and work on a rads research project. If you do it in July or August for the purpose of a letter, that's prob a month you won't be able to spend much time devoted to research (if you choose to do more research).

2. Familiarize yourself with the Doximity.com residency ranking system and, while there are several general ranking threads in the archives of this forum on SDN and also AuntMinnie.com, the most well-known is probably p53's 2009 thread: Top 25 radiology program list from auntminnie.com. I'd link the doximity one, but you need to register to see it in its entirety. There are MANY criticisms about both these rankings, you can search this forum for other discussions of radiology residency rankings.

As for academics, community programs, and hybrid programs, this probably describes it better than I will: https://radsresident.com/2017/06/24/what-to-look-for-in-a-radiology-residency/. Basically, it's what the attendings do and what umbrella the residency program is run under. Academics will typically have strong (or some) research with academic radiologists whereas the others will have less emphasis on research (or little to no research) and run by either private practice radiologists or university-affiliated or employed radiologists that essentially act as a PP rads. The top 5 listed programs on Doximity.com are UCSF, MGH, MIR, NYU, and Duke and these are academic medical centers. An example of a good community program is Baylor Dallas. I'm not familiar with the tiers of community and hybrid programs to list/rank them. Again, old ranking threads in SDN and AuntMinnie.com attempt this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current Status: MS-3
School: USMD top 30 school
Step 1: 240
Step 2: not taken (probably 240-250 if I had to base on shelf scores)
Pre-clinical: all pass (pass fail)
Clinical: All high pass
Class rank: No class rank
Research:
4 abstracts- 2 first author, 1 3rd, 1 5th
3 posters- 1 first author, 1 3rd 1 5th
No papers
All unrelated to rads but currently working in rads lab now should have 1-2 abstracts before application season

ECs: tons of volunteering in underserved community, pres of 3 clubs, and lots of outdoor hobbies

what are my odds at matching mid to mid-top academic rads programs

Last edited:
School: USMD top 30 school
Step 2: not taken (probably 240-250 if I had to base on shelf scores)
Pre-clinical: all pass (pass fail)
Clinical: All high pass
Class rank: No class rank
Research:
4 abstracts- 2 first author, 1 3rd, 1 5th
3 posters- 1 first author, 1 3rd 1 5th
No papers
All unrelated to rads but currently working in rads lab now should have 1-2 abstracts before application season

ECs: tons of volunteering in underserved community, pres of 3 clubs, and lots of outdoor hobbies

what are my odds at matching mid to mid-top academic rads programs

I can tell you (from personal experience) that you'll be fine for mid-tier academic programs for sure.

I don't go to a top-3o school, got a sub-230 STEP 1 (but big improvement on STEP 2), and only non-rads research, and received a solid number of mid-tier IIs this season.

School: Top 10
Step 1: 245
Step 2: 245
Pre-clinical: Pass/fail, all passes
Clinical: 1H in family med, rest HP.
Class rank: School doesn't publish
Research: Literally none.
EC's: volunteering here and there. club leadership.

any chance matching into cali? or at all? what about if i want to apply IR? scared about the research...

Now that the match happened and we saw how competitive this year got, just wanted to post this again. I dont know whether to double down on rads at this point, or need to dual apply, or frankly just give it up

School:
NE Osteopathic School. Current 3rd year
Step 1: 217.
Step 2: (226)
Pre-clinical: All Passes
Clinical: All Passes
Class rank: Middle/Bottom
Research: 1 poster presented at a Rads conference. Working on 2 other rads papers, and 1 surgery paper. Should be all published by the time I apply.
EC's: Went abroad, lots of fluff activities. Typical school/community volunteering and projects. Important position of my campus's radiology club.
LOR: So far I got a strong letter from my surgery rotation, and I know ill have a strong letter from my radiology PI.

I only want DR anywhere at this point, preferably in the NE but ill take wherever. I do not care about IR or ESIR. I would like a brutally honest answer. I have shown an interest in radiology throughout med school. I am 100% set on radiology, but if there is a really great chance that I will not match, then I need to reconsider soon.

I am planning on applying to every community program out there. Is there a chance that I can even apply to mid-tiers? What kind of step 2 score would I need? Anyone else who was in a similar boat have a strategy as to how they planned out their 4th year?

SOO... I ended up getting a 226 on my step 2 and was distraught. I ended up doubling down on rads and not dual applying (stupid I know). To my surprise, i received 11 radiology interviews as a DO with terrible board scores. I did not even rank 1 of them because the location was not in a place I could see myself in. Most of my interviews were centered in the NE Tri-state area, with the greatest amount in New York/New Jersey.

This monday I awoke, fully planning on SOAPing, and saw that I had matched, and could not be happier. So I can confirm that with low board scores you can match radiology.

Reactions: 13 users
School: US MD ( bottom 1/3)
Step 1: 226
Step 2: 235
Pre-clinical: Pass/fail, All passes
Clinical: 1H, rest high passes
Class rank: top half
Research: 4-5 abstracts/presentation (random, basic science, radiology), 2 papers in DR, working on a paper in IR
EC's: professional society membership.

Chances?
What programs should I shoot for?

School: US MD ( bottom 1/3)
Step 1: 226
Step 2: 235
Pre-clinical: Pass/fail, All passes
Clinical: 1H, rest high passes
Class rank: top half
Research: 4-5 abstracts/presentation (random, basic science, radiology), 2 papers in DR, working on a paper in IR
EC's: professional society membership.

Chances?
What programs should I shoot for?

I think you have a decent chance of getting into a low/medium tier program. Make sure your research mentors send emails to help you get a good number of IVs, and let them make phone calls after your IVs to further push your application. Trust me, nothing beats connections.

School: Top 10
Step 1: 245
Step 2: 245
Pre-clinical: Pass/fail, all passes
Clinical: 1H in family med, rest HP.
Research: Literally none.
EC's: volunteering here and there. club leadership.

any chance matching into cali? or at all? what about if i want to apply IR? scared about the research...

I think you have an excellent chance of getting into your dream program, your scores are pretty impressive. Research is always good, but not a requirement.

Current Status: MS-4
School: Non-US IMG
Step 1: 260+
Step 2: 270+
Pre-clinical: All honors except 1
Clinical: All honors
Class rank: Top 5%
Research:
3 clinical papers in radiology- 2nd author
1 clinical paper in peadiatrics- 1at author
7 abstracts+ 7 oral presentations in radiology
6 posters- radiology

EC's: SIR involvement and some volunteer experience

What are my chances of matching at a decent community hospital or low tier university hospital? Would you'll recommend taking a research year in the US to increase my chances of matching?

I think you have a great chance of getting into a low/medium tier university program. Your scores are outstanding and and you can easily stand out. every year, many IMGs match into excellent Rad programs. Doing research will definitely boost your application, at least, you'll have someone to make phone-calls and push for your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am a 4th year Canadian-Caribbean IMG that want to low tier school (Non-Top 4)
Step 1: 251
Step 2: 257
Step 2 CS: In May
Top 5% of class (if that matters in my situation)
Research: 2 poster presentations at hospital (one is Rads related)
EC's: Good volunteer experiences at 3 places

I need a J1 visa

Do I have any chance for matching in DR or should I just apply IM?

My concern is if I do miraculously match DR it will be at some low-tier community program, whereas if I go into IM I think I can match at a semi-decent university/community program.

Thanks

Hi, I am a 4th year Canadian-Caribbean IMG that want to low tier school (Non-Top 4)

I need a J1 visa

My concern is if I do miraculously match DR it will be at some low-tier community program, whereas if I go into IM I think I can match at a semi-decent university/community program.

Thanks

You should definitely apply for Rads, your scores are really great. Many many programs fail to attract AMGs and end up matching IMGs

There is a long list of IMGs friendly programs, look it up

School: unranked NE school
Step 1: 238
Step 2: July date (hoping to improve)
Pre-clinical: mostly passes.
Clinical: H in neuro, surgery, peds, family. HP in IM (but i got a strong letter from IM if that makes any diff). Psych/OB TBD
Class rank: Probably middle of pack given preclinical.
Research:
- 1 basic science abstract and presentation at SIR
- 2nd author abstract RSNA
- 1st author abstract/poster at MRI conference
- two projects this year (rads related) submitting to RSNA. hopeful pub but who knows

EC's: DId lead an interest group but was not related to rads (sports med). Ran a wellness club as well.
Misc: 1 rads research letter, 1 letter school rads course, 1 IM letter. Do I need another clinical letter or rads letter?

Looking to apply northeast (the more north the better) including michigan and ohio programs.

School: unranked NE school
Step 2: July date (hoping to improve)
Pre-clinical: mostly passes.
Clinical: H in neuro, surgery, peds, family. HP in IM (but i got a strong letter from IM if that makes any diff). Psych/OB TBD
Class rank: Probably middle of pack given preclinical.
Research:
- 1 basic science abstract and presentation at SIR
- 2nd author abstract RSNA
- 1st author abstract/poster at MRI conference
- two projects this year (rads related) submitting to RSNA. hopeful pub but who knows

EC's: DId lead an interest group but was not related to rads (sports med). Ran a wellness club as well.
Misc: 1 rads research letter, 1 letter school rads course, 1 IM letter. Do I need another clinical letter or rads letter?

Looking to apply northeast (the more north the better) including michigan and ohio programs.

Go for it. your research will boost your application, programs love to see RSNA on applicants' CVs.

I need a J1 visa

Thanks

You have a chance and probably get 4-5 interviews for sure, biggest limiting factor is you need visa and your from non top 4. Hard to tell how competitive Rads is each year but this year was less competitive than last by just a smidge(but I think its because Anesthesia had 25% increase in applications). Be prepared to Dual apply.

You have a chance and probably get 4-5 interviews for sure, biggest limiting factor is you need visa and your from non top 4. Hard to tell how competitive Rads is each year but this year was less competitive than last by just a smidge(but I think its because Anesthesia had 25% increase in applications). Be prepared to Dual apply.
Yea thanks, I am dual applying to IM and Rads. I think the visa is going to be an issue since a lot of USIMG apply to rads as well. Hopefully, I can get a couple of interviews.

Yea thanks, I am dual applying to IM and Rads. I think the visa is going to be an issue since a lot of USIMG apply to rads as well. Hopefully, I can get a couple of interviews.

The other thing is do you have a Rads letter?

The other thing is do you have a Rads letter?
I am doing two 4 week rotations in radiology at different hospitals, one of which has a program with 70% IMG's. I am planning on getting 2 letters from the programs. Is that a good plan?

Current Status: MS-3/4
School: Top 25 (per US News) - very strong institutional radiology program
Step 1: 214 (after practice tests were ~245...GG)
Step 2: Taking in May/June, shooting for 240+
Pre-clinical: All classes (pass/fail)
Clinical: P in all core rotations (low shelf scores); letters were: HP in Surgery, OB/GYN, all surgery sub-specialties; rest was P
Research:
- 5 paper publications, 3 co-authorships, other 2 were 3-4th author (Undergrad - Biophysics/Chemistry)
- 3 oral presentations (National conferences),
- 2 poster presentations (1 undergrad, 1 in medical school related to Radiology); co-author on 1 more, 3-4th author on 3 more
- Several research scholar awards

EC's: Student government position 2 yrs, student free clinic 2 yrs, 1 yr National AMA committee position, 4 yrs alumnus network volunteer, part-time work experience for 8 years

Letters: None yet. Big IM and DR rotations coming.
Miscellaneous: Failed first year of pre-clinical and had to restart. Testing is my bane. Really looking at what kind of chances I am looking at. Geographic location does not matter, I also am not too picky about the program as long as it is somewhat academic (that's the real issue with my scores).

Honest self-assessment is I am research-heavy, and wondering whether it would get my foot in the door somewhere if I apply to enough places. Options include doing a research year, but I wonder whether that would help if it's the test scores which drag me down most.

School: Top 25 (per US News) - very strong institutional radiology program
Step 1: 214 (after practice tests were ~245...GG)
Step 2: Taking in May/June, shooting for 240+
Pre-clinical: All classes (pass/fail)
Clinical: P in all core rotations (low shelf scores); letters were: HP in Surgery, OB/GYN, all surgery sub-specialties; rest was P
Research:
- 5 paper publications, 3 co-authorships, other 2 were 3-4th author (Undergrad - Biophysics/Chemistry)
- 3 oral presentations (National conferences),
- 2 poster presentations (1 undergrad, 1 in medical school related to Radiology); co-author on 1 more, 3-4th author on 3 more
- Several research scholar awards

EC's: Student government position 2 yrs, student free clinic 2 yrs, 1 yr National AMA committee position, 4 yrs alumnus network volunteer, part-time work experience for 8 years

Letters: None yet. Big IM and DR rotations coming.
Miscellaneous: Failed first year of pre-clinical and had to restart. Testing is my bane. Really looking at what kind of chances I am looking at. Geographic location does not matter, I also am not too picky about the program as long as it is somewhat academic (that's the real issue with my scores).

Honest self-assessment is I am research-heavy, and wondering whether it would get my foot in the door somewhere if I apply to enough places. Options include doing a research year, but I wonder whether that would help if it's the test scores which drag me down most.

Step 1 is not everything, but unfortunately you might be filtered out of the interview pool at most higher and mid-tier academic programs. It's not a perfect system to be defined based on an exam score, but with the ridiculous amount of apps each programs receive (many receive upwards of 800-900+ applications), the pool must be filtered in some way. Also of note, the radiology CORE exam (board exams) is consistently viewed as the most difficult board exam of any specialty in medicine, so program directors tend to worry if they see low step scores, as it is often an indicator of your ability to pass CORE exam your R3 year (PGY4 year). Apply very very broadly, including both academic and community programs. Study hard and do amazing on Step 2 (like you said aim for 240-250+), make sure your results are back before the ERAS submission deadline. Continue to be involved with radiology research leading up to and through the application process. Try your hardest to honor your medicine and rads rotations. Too be honest, I am not entirely sure how failing first year pre-clinicals will affect your app. I imagine many academic programs will see it as a red flag. It would be helpful to dedicate a paragraph of your personal statement to this and try to spin it in a positive light as best you can. Overall, I think you can still match rads, but if you are dead-set on an academic program it might complicate the matter.

Reactions: 1 users
Non-US IMG. Grad 1 yr ago
Step 1: 250s
Step 2: 260s
Step 2 CS: pass
Top quartile of class
Research: 2 research projects, 3 pubs, a couple of presentations
EC's: 1 job as mentor for one year. 2 volunteer experiences (1 in USA). Lead 1 interest group

Current Status: MS3, about to be MS4
School: Top 30 US allopathic school (per US News)
Step 1: 250
Step 2: Taking it in a week, UWSA1 269 (only assessment i've done)
Pre-clinical: All passes (P/F curriculum)
Clinical: Honors in surgery, OB/GYN, psych, and family medicine. Satisfactory in peds, medicine, neuro
Research:
- No current publications, but I'm working on a master's thesis (which will grant me a second degree when I graduate), and I'm getting involved in a radiology research project now, but I don't know if I will have a publication to show for it by the time ERAS/interview season rolls around.
- Have submitted abstracts and presented posters for various other research while in undergrad, not related to radiology

I feel sad because I didn't know I was interested in radiology until very recently (nearing the end of med school), so I haven't really done research/EC's that shows my interest in the field. Wondering how much of an impact that'll have on my application.

Current Status: MS3, about to be MS4
School: Top 30 US allopathic school (per US News)
Step 1: 250
Step 2: Taking it in a week, UWSA1 269 (only assessment i've done)
Pre-clinical: All passes (P/F curriculum)
Clinical: Honors in surgery, OB/GYN, psych, and family medicine. Satisfactory in peds, medicine, neuro
Research:
- No current publications, but I'm working on a master's thesis (which will grant me a second degree when I graduate), and I'm getting involved in a radiology research project now, but I don't know if I will have a publication to show for it by the time ERAS/interview season rolls around.
- Have submitted abstracts and presented posters for various other research while in undergrad, not related to radiology

I feel sad because I didn't know I was interested in radiology until very recently (nearing the end of med school), so I haven't really done research/EC's that shows my interest in the field. Wondering how much of an impact that'll have on my application.

You'll get some good interviews, maybe not at the very top tier places due to lack of radiology stuff, but the other research should help. Should not have an issue matching into a top 20 type program though, although overall your competitiveness will depend on your geographic preferences. Do an away if you are trying to go to a different region.

NON us IMG.
YOG (Colombian grad) : Dec 2014 .
Applied on NRMP 2017-2018 and did not match.
Step 1: 243
Step 2: 238
Step 3: 228.
Now I'm in a radiology program in Europe (mid - low tier). By the time of my application I'll be PGY2- PGY3 here in Europe.
Research:
1 paper (pubmed indexed) 4th author about MRI translational research.
1 paper about malaria.
Few abstract (all radiology related).

Any chances (?)

School: Mid Tier Southeast
Step 1:
Step 2: Have not taken
Pre-clinical: 7 honors, 1 high pass, 1 pass
Clinical: 1 Honors in Family med, Possible Honors IM, 2 High Pass ob/gyn and psych/neuro
Class rank: Uncertain
Research:
- 1 manuscript on Heme/onc (CAR-T cell therapy)
- 1 additional manuscript on Heme/onc in press
- 4 poster presentations with 1 award
- 1 Abstract

EC's: Vice President/Treasurer of music club; various volunteering here and there
Miscellaneous: N/A

Looking to apply broadly in mainly the southeast, with reaches in the northeast. Would love to be at programs in Georgia/North Carolina/Florida. What are my chances? Thanks in advance!

Current Status: DO end of MS3 year
School: DO South West
Step 2: Have not taken
Pre-clinical: 2 honors
Clinical: 2 honors in OBGYN and Internal Medicine
Class rank: Top 1/3rd
Research:
- 1 urology presentation at surgery conference
- 1 Urology paper
- 1 infectious disease paper
- Working on a rads poster

EC's: Tutored 1st/2nd year, some volunteering, lots of hobbies

Open to moving anywhere, what can I be doing now to maximize chances? What are my chances?

Posting for a friend

Current status: USMD grad, PGY2 at community hospital in IM with no rads residency, was previously location restricted but not anymore
Step 1: 250+
Step 2: 260+
Step 3: 240+
Graduated AOA, as far as I know is in good standing with current residency
Assuming they could get letters from some of the non residency affiliated radiologists they work with, would they have a decent chance at getting a spot in the match even though they’ll likely have completed another residency by the time they start (considering current PGY2 status)? What else can they do?

School: DO Southeast
Step 1:
Step 2: 240
COMLEX PE (CS Equivalent): Failed first attempt. Studying for retake currently.
Pre-clinical: No failures
Clinical: All P.
Class rank: ~50th percentile
Research:
- 2 oral presentations on rads (1) and medicine (1)
*presentations were at my own med school symposium. Nothing fancy.

EC's: Occasionally some volunteering here and there. Nothing special.
Other: Planning to couples match with psychiatry.

Worried about my low step 2 and PE failure. Should I apply w/ a backup?

School: DO Northeast
Step 2: End of June (12 days woohoo)
COMLEX PE (CS Equivalent): Scheduled September
Pre-clinical: P/F : P for all
Clinical: 2 H (surgery and IM), HP Psych, P others
Class rank: Top 25%
Research: 1 IR case report abstract poster (2nd Author), 1 IM Abstract (3rd Author?), 2 undergraduate Abstract Posters (1st Author both)
EC's: Treasurer of Ortho Club 1 year, summer Bridging the Gaps, random volunteering, did a few missions trips back in undergrad/high school
Other: I’m a p cool guy :)

Last edited:
School: DO Southeast
Step 1:
Step 2: 240
COMLEX PE (CS Equivalent): Failed first attempt. Studying for retake currently.
Pre-clinical: No failures
Clinical: All P.
Class rank: ~50th percentile
Research:
- 2 oral presentations on rads (1) and medicine (1)
*presentations were at my own med school symposium. Nothing fancy.

EC's: Occasionally some volunteering here and there. Nothing special.
Other: Planning to couples match with psychiatry.

Worried about my low step 2 and PE failure. Should I apply w/ a backup?
I wouldn't worry too much about your step 2 score, which isn't that bad in my opinion. If you had dropped 15-20 points from step 1 to step 2 then maybe some concern would be warranted. In terms of the PE failure, I can't say how that will affect your chances. I assume it will depend on the program and PD or whoever is reviewing your app. Overall, I think if you apply broadly to both academic and community programs you won't have a problem getting 15+ interviews.

School: DO Northeast
Step 2: End of June (12 days woohoo)
COMLEX PE (CS Equivalent): Scheduled September
Pre-clinical: P/F : P for all
Clinical: 2 H (surgery and IM), HP Psych, P others
Class rank: Top 25%
Research: 1 IR case report abstract poster (2nd Author), 1 IM Abstract (3rd Author?), 2 undergraduate Abstract Posters (1st Author both)
EC's: Treasurer of Ortho Club 1 year, summer Bridging the Gaps, random volunteering, did a few missions trips back in undergrad/high school
Other: I’m a p cool guy :)
Based on your stats it appears like you're in great shape. Step 1 score makes you competitive for sure. Unfortunately some of the more prestigious academic programs might screen you based on your DO status, but it seems like more and more good programs are realizing DO schools produce some very bright, outstanding residents. I'll state the obvious. Study hard and kill Step 2. The big thing that could hurt your right now would be a noticeable drop from your Step 1 score which could raise a couple red flags. Focus on getting strong LORs and you shouldn't have a problem getting quality interviews....and the fact that you're a "p cool guy" helps, just don't drop that line during interviews hehe.

Current Status: MS4 US MD
School: Southeast at a top 50 school
Step 1: ~255
Step 2: ~260
Pre-clinical: P/F- all pass
Clinical: Honors: IM and Psych. All others HP.
Class rank: Probably around 50-60th percentile
Research:
-1 non-first author cell bio pub from undergrad
-2 Surgery papers in manuscript writing, 1 first author. 1 Radiology paper in writing, second author
-3 poster presentations (2 surgery, 1 rads), 1 speaker presentation in radiology. 1 poster award
(Most likely wont get anything from med school published until after residency interviews unfortunately)

EC's: Interest group officer for surgery, pathology, and psychiatry first two years. Officer for one of our student run clinic sites. Admissions committee helping to execute interview days, orientation, etc.

My question isn't whether I'll match, I'm just not sure how many programs to apply to and how high to "reach"

I was thinking of applying to about 40, mostly SE academic programs and a few NE reaches.

Does that seem like a reasonable position for me to be in?

For an otherwise strong candidate, would high passing an early 4th year radiology elective count against them substantially, especially if hoping to match at a higher end program?

In this case, high step 1, mostly honors third year, AOA, strong research background...

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I just wanted to ask if the Doximity rankings are a good place to create a program list (i.e., a few ranked high and a few ranked low). Also, I don't understand the whole process of TY or Preliminary year. Do we pair up all the PGY2 radiology programs we apply to with a TY or preliminary program in ERAS?

I struggled with medical school applications (first generation student) so any help would be appreciated! Thanks a lot!

Current Status: MS4 US MD
School: Southeast at a top 50 school
Step 1: ~255
Step 2: ~260
Pre-clinical: P/F- all pass
Clinical: Honors: IM and Psych. All others HP.
Class rank: Probably around 50-60th percentile
Research:
-1 non-first author cell bio pub from undergrad
-2 Surgery papers in manuscript writing, 1 first author. 1 Radiology paper in writing, second author
-3 poster presentations (2 surgery, 1 rads), 1 speaker presentation in radiology. 1 poster award
(Most likely wont get anything from med school published until after residency interviews unfortunately)

EC's: Interest group officer for surgery, pathology, and psychiatry first two years. Officer for one of our student run clinic sites. Admissions committee helping to execute interview days, orientation, etc.

My question isn't whether I'll match, I'm just not sure how many programs to apply to and how high to "reach"

I was thinking of applying to about 40, mostly SE academic programs and a few NE reaches.

Does that seem like a reasonable position for me to be in?

Apply to all the top 10 / top 20 programs you desire, some may bite (several in the top 20 almost certainly will). Although the pubs may not be published in time for ERAS, if two are published during application season, you can email the programs that haven't responded to you yet and say something like, just wanted to update my application.

Overall, your strategy is good with aiming for the top 40 assuming no red flags or social awkwardness. You'll be in good shape.

For an otherwise strong candidate, would high passing an early 4th year radiology elective count against them substantially, especially if hoping to match at a higher end program?

In this case, high step 1, mostly honors third year, AOA, strong research background...

No, you'll be fine, especially if your rad letter is good. The clinical rotations is what matters most.

Are people here getting responses via PM/DM? It seems like everyone is posting and very few people are giving opinions on their applications.

I've posted a lot on this thread and have followed it over the years. For me, I just look at it once a month or blue moon. This may account for some of the long periods with no responses. While people PM sometimes, I always try to respond on this thread when I see it.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to ask if the Doximity rankings are a good place to create a program list (i.e., a few ranked high and a few ranked low). Also, I don't understand the whole process of TY or Preliminary year. Do we pair up all the PGY2 radiology programs we apply to with a TY or preliminary program in ERAS?

I struggled with medical school applications (first generation student) so any help would be appreciated! Thanks a lot!

It's a decent reference and you can certainly use it as a gauge. People will critique it but what else is there that is updated regularly. If you search for something like "radiology residency ranking" on SDN and AuntMinnie, you'll find some informative and entertaining old threads. Make sure to read the ones by the user named p53 (on both SDN and AuntMinnie).

For advanced programs (stary PGY2, the vast majority of residencies), you rank your prelim/TY programs along with each individual program. For instance, if you applied to (let's just assume one program each in) Boston, Colorado, and California, you could rank your #1 - whatever intern prelim/TY programs differently for all 3 different programs.

Reactions: 2 users
It's a decent reference and you can certainly use it as a gauge. People will critique it but what else is there that is updated regularly. If you search for something like "radiology residency ranking" on SDN and AuntMinnie, you'll find some informative and entertaining old threads. Make sure to read the ones by the user named p53 (on both SDN and AuntMinnie).

For advanced programs (stary PGY2, the vast majority of residencies), you rank your prelim/TY programs along with each individual program. For instance, if you applied to (let's just assume one program each in) Boston, Colorado, and California, you could rank your #1 - whatever intern prelim/TY programs differently for all 3 different programs.
Thank you so much! That was very helpful

Current Status: OMS-3
School: low-tier DOprogram
Step 1: 231
Step 2: not taken yet
COMLEX: 571
Pre-clinical: All passes (pass/fail)
Class rank: not sure
Research:
None but working on a literature research at the moment

EC's: President of the Radiology interest group at my school. Many volunteer hours here and there

What do you guys think? Should I still try for DR or give up the dream? Thank you.

School: Top 25 Midwest school
Step 2: Not back yet, estimate 240-245
Clinical: Honors in IM, HP in everything else
Research: None

EC's: Led 2 student groups focused on community health outreach, volunteered at student run clinic
Misc: will have strong letters from my IM sub-I and 3rd year clerkship, good letter from radiology elective

Is there a chance I can match into a west coast program? (originally from California) Midwest programs? Afraid of having no research and am wondering exactly how much taking a year to do radiology related research would benefit my application. Really appreciate any input, thanks in advance!

Current Status: OMS-3
School: low-tier DOprogram
Step 1: 231
Step 2: not taken yet
COMLEX: 571
Class rank: not sure
Research:
None but working on a literature research at the moment

EC's: President of the Radiology interest group at my school. Many volunteer hours here and there

What do you guys think? Should I still try for DR or give up the dream? Thank you.
You had your question answered in the dedicated thread.

School: Top 25 Midwest school
Step 2: Not back yet, estimate 240-245
Clinical: Honors in IM, HP in everything else
Research: None

EC's: Led 2 student groups focused on community health outreach, volunteered at student run clinic
Misc: will have strong letters from my IM sub-I and 3rd year clerkship, good letter from radiology elective

Is there a chance I can match into a west coast program? (originally from California) Midwest programs? Afraid of having no research and am wondering exactly how much taking a year to do radiology related research would benefit my application. Really appreciate any input, thanks in advance!

You're MS4 about to submit, correct? Can you get involved in a rad research project just to list an experience? If MS3, you have time.

IMO, a reach but a chance for west coast, especially since you can play the card on your PS to Calif / West Coast programs that you're from there. Would be a reach for some of the university programs.

You're otherwise well-rounded and in good position to match at a good program in DR.

Unless you think your life would be significantly better at one of the better university programs in California after a productive research year, I would advise against a research year. Students without prior research experience and without an extremely favorable setup often under accomplish during a research year.

Any chance of a community rad program with a step 1 of 224? I know it's way below the "240" average and to make matters worse, I'm also a DO.

Much appreciated!
You should be ok, just apply to ~100 programs. See the other thread with the DO student for more insights.