favorite age?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nightowl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What age do you like the best? My mom is a peds hem/onc nurse, and she loves the teenagers, while her best friend loves getting the babies. I personally really love the 3 year olds (sooo adorable) and teenagers (because I remember all of that terrible teen angst). Does anyone else love a certain age group? Just wondering, since peds offers such a range...

Members don't see this ad.

I love the elementary school aged children - they are so curious about everything and it's cute how they explain things. And of course, who wouldn't love the babies!

Members don't see this ad :)
10 years or so. Old enough to have a personality and carry on a conversation with you, yet not old enough to be a bitchy teenager yet.

Toddlers are adorable. Gotta love 'em. :)

Toddlers are adorable. Gotta love 'em. :)

yeah but they're the hardest to examine, you can't reason with an 18 month old

my faves are def the babies and then the teenagers....

I like preschool age because they're so goofy. My wife tells me that I'm really a four year old at heart (my ears perk up every time a fire truck goes by our apartment window). =)

I also like teenagers because they hvae a lot of interesting issues, and I think it's really rewarding when they'll discuss/open up about them to you when they won't talk to anyone else.

Depends.

In a medical setting, I prefer the neonates. :D

On my own time, I love both the babies and the elementary aged kids. No wait, I like the younger teens too because they have such interesting points of view about things like politics and the environment. Oh yeah, and 15months-3 years 'cus everything is fascinating to them. *shrug* I guess I like 'em all. :oops:

My vote would be for pre-teens (Age 5-12) probably because that is how i old i perpetually am...the best is playing video games and high five-ing my patients on down time!

Little babies up to about age 3-4 are my favorites. I had several adorable 3-year-old girls with pneumonia as patients last month. Loved 'em! :) Don't mind the teens either, it's especially rewarding when you can get them to open up to you.

My fave - between 6 months to 10 years. Anything under 6 months might need invasive testing, and anything over 10 years might need a pelvic/STI screen.

My least favorite? Anything over 15 years. Hello? Can anyone say adult physiology and problems? :shudder:

I suppose it sounds a bit cliche, but I actually love taking care of all ages, from the 25 week premie to the 45yo with CF or Congenital heart disease. Strange as it sounds I think it is most challenging and rewarding aspect of pediatrics that you have to be able to examine, consider a differential, treat, relate to and appreciate a tremendous spectrum of ages. It is the fact that separates pedi from adult medicine, where there are only two types, young and healthy and age and sick. So I think we are extremely privileged to have such a broad diversity of patients, in order to never get bored.

-MT

Jeez, I hope "To Catch a Predator" doesn't get hold of this thread...

Anyway, I'm not a doc or a med student yet, but I do work in an OR, and I love when we get the kids. I think I like teenagers the best for reasons listed above (can converse with you, etc.), but the kiddies are great too. They're cute even when they are pissed at you.

Definitely 4 month olds - I love how they're just excited to sit up and look around!

After that, 5 year olds when they're in good moods and boys more than girls at this age. This probably goes back to when I coached kindergarten soccer while I was in HS.

Teenagers can be good too, but it really, really depends.