Favorite Anesthesia Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xClashx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just starting CA1 year. Any recommendations/reviews of anesthesia apps on IOS?

Wanted to know specifically about MGH clinical anesthesia ($49), anesthesia central vs vargo anesthesia ($99). Just wanted a quick reference for cases / complications / drug dosing / ESRA guidelines.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Free, Android, useful for the (very) rare occasion I have to think about children.

Still use asra to look up anticoagulation guidelines.

Echo calc (old and not updated..)

ASRA regional app, everything else is useless.

The iTIVA app is fun to play with, but not clinically that helpful.

Asra app

echotools by Rishi Kumar has helped me learn TEE during residency

Reactions: 1 user
COPE for pediatrics, mostly induction dosages, lma/ett sizes etc. At least intuitive enough. Safe local(that's the name) for avoiding LAST is decent, too.

Journal Club. Not free (unfortunately) but the only one I use consistently ALL THE TIME. Also, MDCalc is my other go to. I used Pedi Anesth during my pedi months but I stopped using it after a while.

ASRA Coags for management of anticoagulation when sticking patients with needles. ANSO for learning to do blocks. Pedi crisis for exactly what it sounds like.

Reactions: 1 users
Just starting CA1 year. Any recommendations/reviews of anesthesia apps on IOS?

Wanted to know specifically about MGH clinical anesthesia ($49), anesthesia central vs vargo anesthesia ($99). Just wanted a quick reference for cases / complications / drug dosing / ESRA guidelines.
Pedi-Anesth

Members don't see this ad :)
I think everybody got the ones I was going to recommend, but I'll chip in:

ASRA: For anticoagulation guidelines. It's like $4 I think.

UpToDate: Obviously, and it includes great pharmacy information

Journal Club: Around $8 I think. Summarizes landmark studies across many disciplines. I found it very helpful and worth buying.

iTIVA: While not necessary, I would highly recommend it, as it's great for teaching you pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of medications, which is a lot about the "art" of anesthesia. Many CA-1s are confused when running propofol for EGDs or other cases where you do general anesthesia without an airway device. Many think of the rate of infusion as the main measure of a patient's anesthesia level without considering how long it's been running or whether there were any loading doses. This will also help with that as well as opioid dosing. It basically works kind of like a targeted controlled infusion device like in other countries so you can learn about what you should be dosing. You target an effect-site concentration (it tells you the ranges in the app) and it guides your dosing. After a while, you'll be better at getting the effects you need without needing the app. It's also free. You just have to wait for an annoying timer to disappear after startup if you don't buy the pro version.

OpioidConverter or something similar is nice to calculate equianalgesic doses

Xodo is a nice PDF and reader app if you're into eBooks

I've heard good things about Vargo, but haven't used it myself.

Reactions: 2 users
Favorite apps in the OR

-TikTok
- IG
- AirBNB to dream of elsewhere
- words with friends
- nextdoor

Journal Club. Not free (unfortunately) but the only one I use consistently ALL THE TIME. Also, MDCalc is my other go to. I used Pedi Anesth during my pedi months but I stopped using it after a while.

I was disappointed journal club did not have an anesthesia section.

ANSO is an Australian-made app for sono anatomy. I use it all the time for regional cases.

Good one for anesthesia newbies
Developed by the son of one of my colleagues

Not an app,but a totally awesome website.