Favorite Class/Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mglavin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What was your most enjoyable preclinical class? Least enjoyable?

Which 3rd year rotation did you like best? Worst?

Members don't see this ad.

Most enjoyable was cardiology during inpatient medicine. Great team, lots of work, lots of fun.

Least enjoyable was ICU. Malignant attending, toxic fellow and depressed residents. As you can see, my answers are team-dependent and not so reliant on the actual workload or intensity.

hmm, not sure if you're asking anybody or just residents or what, but i've been in a contemplative mood lately.

Best First Year rotation: anatomy. No contest.

Best Second Year rotation: path. Again, no contest.

Worst preclinical rotation: Infectious Diseases. Just a horrible course at my school.

Best Third Year rotation: either Ortho or Rads. Tough call. My ortho rotation made me love surgery almost as much as my general surgery rotation made me hate it.

Worst Third Year rotation: 3-way tie: OB/Labor and Delivery service; general surgery; inpatient psychiatry. The first two because of messy work and crappy hours, the third because I'm not a fan of standing in the midst of a group of hostile psychotic patients with no security on the floor. I mean, I weigh 200 lbs, but I still don't want to take a shot to the head for a friggin' psych grade. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
MS1- neurobio

MS2- path

MS3- Honestly not hyped about anything and I am on my last rotation. Worked hard and have done well, but nothing seems to be calling me. I did enjoy ophtho I suppose. OB/GYN schedule was brutal, more so than surgery and everyone appeared as though they were in a bad mood and hated life.

years 1&2:
best: genetics & nutrition (followed by anatomy & pathology)
worst: clinical medicine

year 3:
best: radiology (followed by neurology and then family medicine)
worst: surgery & obgyn

Best
First year - Cardiology
Second year - Neuroanatomy
Third year - tie Radiology and Surgery

Worst
First year - Heme/Onc
Second year - Reproductive
Third year - Family medicine (I hate clinic)

Anatomy
Path
All the clinical rotations have been fun for me. No clear winner.

Best
1st year - anatomy and neuroanatomy
2nd year - pathophysiology (great teacher)
3rd year - no clear favorite

Worst
1st year - biochem
2nd year - micro
3rd year - OB/Gyn (bad hours, bad residents)

I'm surprised so many people are saying Rads was one of their best 3rd year rotations. Many find it extremely boring since you do nothing as a med student. At my school a lot of people were turned off of Rads by their elective.

Guess I'll also add my intern year best/worst list (TY intern)

Best: Rads, plastics, vascular, pathology

Worst: Peds, Wards, ICU, endocrine

It is hard for me to have clear favorites during intern year, since there can be vast differences in number of work hours. Even though endocrine had really good work hours, it was interminably boring and I felt nearly suicidal every day I had to drag myself in there. At my program the surgery months are preferred head and shoulders above wards. We have generally non-malignant attendings, awesome residents, and reasonable work hours (~60-65 hrs/week).

First Year.

Best: Anatomy, hard work but fun memories.
Worst: Our introduction to clinical practice class. Uuuugh, what a waste of time.

Second Year:

Best: Renal organ segment. Everything from path to physio to clinical applications was just fantastically taught.

Worst: Epidemiology/Ethics: Worthless lectures, incomprehensible assignments and exams, lecturers with wacky extremists with axes to grind on topics like racism in medicine and physician reimbursement. Very poor prepation for Step 1.

Third Year:

Third year is hard to judge because it's so dependent on resident and attending. So this is "personally" mine, someone else may share something different.

Best: Pediatrics. Although some attendings/residents were bad, most everyone else was very positive and made a good environment. Saw some kids with interesting pathophys and learned a lot.

Worst: Ob/GYN: Residents are capricious and catty with no interest in education. Nurses actively try to sabatoge medical students so it won't inconvience them. ("Mrs. A said no medical students, so stop bothering her" despite you having followed her through labor for half the day with very positive interactions.) Attendings practice is not evidence based at best in direct opposition to guidelines at worst, making it impossible to answer their questions (they want you to answer how they learned it in the 80's, not how it is now). Our OB/GYN rotatino has had 4 different course directors in 5 years, and nobody wants to deal with it. Combined with the fact that 90% of the patient population is indigent since it's a teaching hospital (Never have I heard the phrase "baby daddy" used so non ironically) yet still are allowed to refuse medical students and residents and it's just a nightmare of a rotation.

Edit: Double post. Also, OB/GYN still sucks.

Favorite:
1) Physiology--you actually had to figure out how stuff worked instead of just memorizing facts.
2) Pathology--same as above.
3) Not a single one of them

Least Favorite:
1) Anatomy--couldn't stand the lab aspect of it.
2) Pharmacology--a complete waste of time memorizing mundane drug details that were a few seconds away in pharmacopoeia or on your palm anyway.
3) Third year rotations for me can best be described by Peter Gibbons from Office Space: "I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life." I hated every rotation worse than the one that proceeded it. It was a cumulative effect. The pre rounding, the rounding, the note writing, the whiney patients, the ******ed patients, the patients that didn't care about even helping themselves, stupid consults, the *****ic pages from nurses, 30 hour call, etc.

Best rotations: Plastic Surgery, Surgery, Rads
Worst rotations: OB/GYN, OB, GYN...followed by the worst of all: OB/GYN