Favorite/most interesting patient population

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drogba

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what group of patients people have enjoyed working with the most and why they enjoyed it so much.

Ie, children, mentally ill, homeless, drug addicts (probably not this one!), cancer patients etc

Have any interesting stories to share?

Members don't see this ad.

Loved surgery for the most part. People were pretty solid, couple of random weirdos.

Ped Allergy/Immunology was half-and-half. The kids seemed pretty okay but some of the parents were nuts.

I mean, come on. It is never going to be a good idea to take your highly peanut and milk allergic 4yo to Dairy Queen.

Patients that pay their bills.

Members don't see this ad :)
I enjoy the elderly because they have so much wisdom and so many stories.

The half-life of knowledge is 5 years.
The half-life of wisdom is a lifetime.

I've not yet worked specifically with the elderly. Not only do they have a lifetime of stories, they seem to like to talk! I don't think I could ever see myself doing geriatrics, though.

Loved surgery for the most part. People were pretty solid, couple of random weirdos.

Ped Allergy/Immunology was half-and-half. The kids seemed pretty okay but some of the parents were nuts.

I mean, come on. It is never going to be a good idea to take your highly peanut and milk allergic 4yo to Dairy Queen.

So you like your patient population unconscious :laugh:

Psychotic patients are really interesting, especially when they're actively delusional. Hearing them talk about their hallucinations or paranoia is fascinating, b/c you see that they live in a whole different world than most of us. It's crazy what the brain can do.

You know, I like hanging with old folks (one of my best friends in town is 88), but seeing some of the geriatric patients in hospitals left me thinking I couldn't deal with that every day. Most old people in hospitals are no longer functioning mentally, so all you do is just seek ways to continue to sustain their comatose-like existence.

Anyone but old white people. Their thin, paperlike, almost seethrough skin freaks me out.

Most old people in hospitals are no longer functioning mentally, so all you do is just seek ways to continue to sustain their comatose-like existence.

It really depends where you are working. Most of the older people I interacted with were just in to get scanned for a fall or something like that.

Hell yes. And I'm almost the tallest person in the dept where I am now, so rock on, gsurg!

Wow that must feel strange for you. Surgery is cool though. I don't know if I could do a purely surgical specialty, I like interacting with patients on a different level.

Wow that must feel strange for you. Surgery is cool though. I don't know if I could do a purely surgical specialty, I like interacting with patients on a different level.
It is. I'm used to being the shortest.

But there is one guy who's 7'something".

Members don't see this ad :)

So you like your patient population unconscious :laugh:

Actually, I do enjoy talking to surgery patients while they're in the pre-op holding area. Sometimes they're nervous, but they're usually pretty candid and they like talking to students, generally. A lot of times, I think that they'll talk to students just because they want to keep their minds off of the upcoming surgery.

I thought that pregnant patients were funny. (Not all med students share this opinion, though.) I had a patient who was in labor with her first baby. I was trying to encourage her and said, "You don't have a lot of time to go! You're really close! I can see the baby's head!" She then screamed out, "You can see the head?! Then pull the da*n thing out!!" Well, no...not that close....

There are other, funnier stories about surgery patients, but I can't really repeat them in a public space....

Actually, I do enjoy talking to surgery patients while they're in the pre-op holding area. Sometimes they're nervous, but they're usually pretty candid and they like talking to students, generally. A lot of times, I think that they'll talk to students just because they want to keep their minds off of the upcoming surgery.

I thought that pregnant patients were funny. (Not all med students share this opinion, though.) I had a patient who was in labor with her first baby. I was trying to encourage her and said, "You don't have a lot of time to go! You're really close! I can see the baby's head!" She then screamed out, "You can see the head?! Then pull the da*n thing out!!" Well, no...not that close....

There are other, funnier stories about surgery patients, but I can't really repeat them in a public space....

Haha I look forward to hearing them at some point in time. I've worked with some interesting populations myself. I think the gypsies are the most fun, though probably not my favorite.

athletes. you can actually palpate something on people that are in shape. plus they are really willing to help you help them if that makes any sense. they were surprisingly easy to work with, egos aside :D

Personally, I really enjoy working with the poor, homeless, alcoholics/drug addicts... I dunno, just have a certain affinty for them.
After a while I got sick of dealing with the "cream of the crop" type, the ones who expect the world to bend over backwards for them just becasue they have a few extra decimal places in their bank account.

You know, I like hanging with old folks (one of my best friends in town is 88), but seeing some of the geriatric patients in hospitals left me thinking I couldn't deal with that every day. Most old people in hospitals are no longer functioning mentally, so all you do is just seek ways to continue to sustain their comatose-like existence.

I would probably be in the old people camp as well. I love the stories they have. I've had a different experience than Jochi shadowing in an outpatient facility- most of the people are in halfway decent shape (albeit some are over 100).
My favorite story is a patient I saw while shadowing who has early stage Alzheimers, but had his sense of humor well intact. The doc I was shadowing asked him how he liked his new nursing home, and he said "I hate it. I hate having to be with old uglies all the time!" which I thought was pretty hilarious.

athletes. you can actually palpate something on people that are in shape. plus they are really willing to help you help them if that makes any sense. they were surprisingly easy to work with, egos aside :D

Yeah I can see this. They really want to get better as quickly as possible, but I could see them being demanding to the point of annoyance.

Personally, I really enjoy working with the poor, homeless, alcoholics/drug addicts... I dunno, just have a certain affinty for them.
After a while I got sick of dealing with the "cream of the crop" type, the ones who expect the world to bend over backwards for them just becasue they have a few extra decimal places in their bank account.

I do too. I just got back from a needle exchange/primary care outreach a couple hours ago. I've actually yet to work with the "cream of the crop" type as you call it. So far: refugees, homeless, drug addicts and gypsies (of course there is some overlap between the categories). Oh and ER patients which I guess can be anyone really.

the ones that don't stink

seriously, the ones with interesting diseases and those that are willing to listen to the advice given to them from their doctor, rather than Oprah or some other secondary source that makes the general statements these people cling to

Heh, I actually do want to work with drug addicts.

I really enjoyed working with patient population at my old free clinic. Primarily homeless but some just uninsured. Such a variety of people.

I really enjoyed working with patient population at my old free clinic. Primarily homeless but some just uninsured. Such a variety of people.

People underestimate the heterogeneity of the homeless. Those without homes are just as diverse as those with them.

People underestimate the heterogeneity of the homeless. Those without homes are just as diverse as those with them.

I think they're much more diverse - and they have much more interesting stories. THey're all homeless for different reasons. Its really incredible to talk to them.

Hell yes. And I'm almost the tallest person in the dept where I am now, so rock on, gsurg!

Sigh...the only way I could ever make that claim is if the department was staffed almost entirely by little people.:D

I think they're much more diverse - and they have much more interesting stories. THey're all homeless for different reasons. Its really incredible to talk to them.

I agree. I remember this one guy who had a bachelors in English from Brandeis and worked in commercial fishing for a few years. I guess thats why you don't get a degree in English! You also occasionally run across some people who are so well kept that you would never guess they are homeless. There was this one guy who wore a suit and dress shoes that he somehow managed to keep very clean. You wouldn't be able to distinguish him from any professional on the boston streets. What a challenge.

Very difficult and frustrating population to work with. Are you interested in psych?

Yes, I am. Right before college I became interested in the neuroscience of drug abuse, so I planned on just doing research in the field when I realized I'd be much more interested in working directly with the population as well. I'm actually working/volunteering as research assistant with a clinic doing research on drug abuse treatments, so I'm getting some exposure to these patients and the frustrations of working with them. But I still love it.

Of course, this could all change when I'm the one in charge. But that's the plan for now, anyway.

supermodels.

edit: FEMALE supermodels.

I was wondering what group of patients people have enjoyed working with the most and why they enjoyed it so much.

Ie, children, mentally ill, homeless, drug addicts (probably not this one!), cancer patients etc

Have any interesting stories to share?

I think immigrant populations are interesting. I don't care where they're from (Eastern Europe, Middle East, the Caribbean, South America, etc), because frankly, I just love learning about any ethnic group. Heck, it'll probably be my endless curiosity and over-enthusiasm that will rub my future patients the wrong way.

I would have to agree with the old. They are some of the most hilarious people I have ever met. They love when volunteers visit them. They just want to talk and we can learn so much from them.

I would have to agree with the old. They are some of the most hilarious people I have ever met. They love when volunteers visit them. They just want to talk and we can learn so much from them.

The homeless are incredibly chatty as well in my experience. They can be very socially isolated and cherish the opportunity to share their time with others, especially when they are routinely looked down upond by the wider society. Showing an interest and that you care can go a long way with some people, depending on the context of the interaction.

A little ego stroking makes us all feel good too, heh.

I don't really see it as ego stroking. I think if you show someone that you value them, especially if they routinely feel judged, they will naturally be more open to interacting and sharing with you. When people are used to being treated with hostility, contempt or indifference any display of genuine concern or interest can have a significant effect

women wanting breast augmentations

I think immigrant populations are interesting. I don't care where they're from (Eastern Europe, Middle East, the Caribbean, South America, etc), because frankly, I just love learning about any ethnic group. Heck, it'll probably be my endless curiosity and over-enthusiasm that will rub my future patients the wrong way.

i like working with immigrants too, for the most part. esp if they let me practice new languages on them :) some of them get really annoyed by it though, and ask for a translator. i try not to get offended... i can imagine if i was sick i would want to talk to someone that can communicate effectively!

Dwarf quadriplegic Eskimo women. With ADD.