Favorite Undergrad Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrojanAnteater

Fight On
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright it's a slow day and we had a "least favorite class" thread a couple weeks ago. I did a search to see if there was an existing "favorite class" thread but nothing turned up so lets see what everyone enjoyed the most. maybe top 3.

Mine were (going pretty much by content, but professors factor in a little):
1. Human Physiology
2. Microbiology
3. Advanced Inorganic Chemistry

Honorable Mention to: Biochemistry and Lab, and Radioisotope lab

Members don't see this ad.

My favorite has to be non-science based but I like it. I had to take an art elective so I took a course in "Intro to Theatre." Has to be my favorite class. I mean in that class, I got to be a rock star, a TV show pyschiartist, William Hung riding in a taxi singing "She Bangs," an angry Philadelphia sports fan and a Jewish director accused of rape in the play "Tape." That was one fun class. :laugh:

RUN DMV said:
My favorite has to be non-science based but I like it. I had to take an art elective so I took a course in "Intro to Theatre." Has to be my favorite class. I mean in that class, I got to be a rock star, a TV show pyschiartist, William Hung riding in a taxi singing "She Bangs," an angry Philadelphia sports fan and a Jewish director accused of rape in the play "Tape." That was one fun class. :laugh:

that sounds like a hell of a class. I never really liked any of my non-science classes. I took 3 sociology classes which were OK, and 3 History classes (kinda interesting but not really). I took French for about 3 weeks before I dropped it but that class was pretty awesome (as awesome as a french class could be- I despise it otherwise) because the teacher was a hot female grad student.

Members don't see this ad :)
My favorite science courses would be biochemistry, plant genetics, and physiology lab. My favorite non-science classes would have to be poetry and anthropology. :p

I guess my favorite science based class is General Biology I. It was more anatomy based so we got to dissect cats. Also, my bio professor was really quirky and his notes would be funny like when we were learning about estogen and testosterone and which celebrity had too much of either hormone. And he would make comments about his wife. One former student commented that he said his wife was always cranky because she had "low blood sugar."

Microbiology. The professor, Dr. Cunningham, is really on top of his game and made it a great class.

1st Year Chemistry with Lab. Awesome Prof (who actually won a "Best Chemistry Lecturer in Canada" award). And since I had a gr. 12 chemistry teacher that basically taught the course around a university's curriculum, it was a breeze.

He'd tell us all kinds of tid-bits like how the key ingredient of Ex-Lax used to be phenolphthalein, early versions of Teflon used to release HF, how a lot of the mining industry is based around the common ion effect (metals in freshwater precipitate out when they his saltwater), buffers and blood, and how bauxite is shipped around the world to Iceland just because of how electricity intensive aluminum production is.

Hilarious too.

My Plan B is definitely chemistry if I do not get into pharmacy.

Link to his awards

I enjoyed so many of them, it's hard to decide. Ecology was a lot of fun. We went camping, canoeing, hiking and even visited cemetaries.

Vertebrate zoology disections were fun. I loved posing my dead animals for photo sessions. My prof helped out by putting his glasses on my cat. He also made us name all of our animals. I'll always remember Bob the shark, Shirley the frog and Lucy the cat.

Genetics lab was cool, using PCR and inserting various plasmids into bacteria.

As for non-science, I loved humanities. I learned to recognize paintings, sculpture, architecture, etc.

I liked Human Physiology for science and Art History for my "fun class". I also enjoyed GChem I lecture, but hated the LAB! (Boring, Boring, Boring!) :laugh:

I liked Microbiology and Physiology for science. And my favorite non-science class was Classical Mythology (greek gods, myths, ...loved it!)

i liked ochem/gchem, microbio and physio. non-science classes statistics, economics, and philosophy.

I would have to say Chem I & II because I had an awesome professor, Bio I because I just find that stuff interesting, and my economics/accounting classes have always been a favorite. I liked my anatomy book, but my professor was a different story.

My favorite undergrad science classes:
- Organic Chemistry I and II
- Physiology Lab (!!)
- Molecular Neurobiology and Neurochemistry
- Medical Ethnobotany
- Pharmacology and Toxicology

My favorite undergrad non-science classes:
none; I mean some were cool classes (like linguistics) but I <3 science.

Members don't see this ad :)
Classical Mythology is my absolute favorite. The class with 600 students that meet 5 days a week and it's sooooooo dark, but I never fell asleep :) Such a wonderful class!!!!!!!

I'd have to join in with the other micro lovers and say Microbio was my fave science course :) That would be followed by all the courses I have taken in Gerontology for my minor - I love old people :love:

Wow, I just had the same exact idea for thiis thread in the morning...it was a sloooow one for me also......

Favorite Classes:
1. GChem 1&2...great female teacher...had a hunchback...she had a way of teaching where you learned the material but never realized you were actually learning....

2. Calculus 1-3...not so bad once you catch on.

3. Micro/Anatomy&Physio (TIE)....interesting classes...much overlap....both are so relevant to your day-to-day life, it makes you that much better of a person & more knowledgeable from having these courses.....plus there are a lot of pre-nursing girls/woman in my class............... :rolleyes:

1. immunology : midway through this course life began to make a lot more sense :D

2. microbiology : damn I love petri dishes

3. animal anatomy and physiology -- took this instead of A&P I. Got to dissect a sheep, a sheep brain , a sheep eye, a mink, a sheep heart and look at horse and cow bones. Lovely time was had by all.

Also intro to animal science...got totake a cow's temperature and dissect a freshly killed chicken. Also got to trim a baby pig's milk teeth. It was very interactive. I woulda been a vet but I was afraid i would get trampled by a green and tempermental horse while trying to examine his hooves.

My favorite course was one where I learned alot about myself.

1. Human sexuality - The ins and outs of me lab section.

(Minoos, you are logged into every dang computer on campus. Hit log-off, or keep having your inner secrets exposed.)

If I took human sexuality I would have to die. That would embarass me beyond the pale. I am just fine talking about it anatomy wise but dear lord no touchy feely emotional stuff.

1)Genetics, 2) Classical Mythology, 3) Immunology and 4) Pharmacology

organic chemistry without a doubt! nmr, synthesis...lay it on me! well except for that crazy crap with amines and enolates and stuff.

favorite non-science class is family ecosystems, which is an intensive writing class.

i wish i took human sexuality. my friend was gonna sell her hum sex. book back but gave it to me. all my elective classes make me wish i would have stayed as an undergraduate and finished a degree and not do the lazy way to go straight to pharmacy school. oh well...i can always be a post-bac. :laugh:

Trustplans said:
Wow, I just had the same exact idea for thiis thread in the morning...it was a sloooow one for me also......

Favorite Classes:
1. GChem 1&2...great female teacher...had a hunchback...she had a way of teaching where you learned the material but never realized you were actually learning....

2. Calculus 1-3...not so bad once you catch on.

3. Micro/Anatomy&Physio (TIE)....interesting classes...much overlap....both are so relevant to your day-to-day life, it makes you that much better of a person & more knowledgeable from having these courses.....plus there are a lot of pre-nursing girls/woman in my class............... :rolleyes:

Your Gen Chem female teacher is not Dr. Loza, is it?

my favorite classes: Medical Microbiology, Nutrition, Mammalian Physiology

1) organic chemistry 1&2
2) human anatomy and physiology 1&2

I can't believe that I feel this way, but my favorite science class was optics--had the coolest prof ever. Microbiology and Analytical lab were awesome as well. As for non-science class--that would have to be the two film courses I took. I love watching movies--and having that count for studying.

Organic Chemistry :cool:

We all love organic chemistry
Synthetic chemistry
Molecules with "C"
We all love organic chemistry
Synthetic chemistry
Molecules with "C"

:cool: