Finding a study group for prerequisite classes

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by konp, May 25, 2018.

1. konp

Hello everyone,

I am planning to take prerequisite courses and I am currently looking fo a study group. I finished undergrad in 2009 and I have little to no contact with the people I went to college with. Most the students whom I studied with during the undergraduate years are either working or are in a graduate program and many of them are living far in distance from me.

I can study on my own but it's always good to know someone who has the same goal as I do.

My question is where can I find a study group once I begin taking prerequisite classes? Is there an online website where we can find a study group with the same career goal ?

Thank you!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Saisri_PharmStdnt

Saisri_PharmStdnt Class of 2023 Hopeful

Pre-Pharmacy
    I chose 1 or 2 people in my prerequisites that were either on a pharmacy path, or a similar path, that were as serious about studying and working hard for As as I was. I took many of my prereqs at a community college and I spent a lot of study time in the tutoring center, just so that if I had questions, I had someone I could ask. I found one of my study-buddies that way. He was in my class, in there as much as I was, so we quizzed each other and pushed each other to learn material.

So, my best advice... Find out what people's majors are, find the pharmacy students and/or other medical-related fields, and figure out if they match how you need to study.

I'm also an older student compared to some of them, so a lot of the younger kids gravitated towards me because I was "Mom."

4. konp

thank you for the advice! I feel discouraged sometimes with the thoughts of doing this alone while all my friends seem to have their career all together. I will to go the tutoring center and find people to study with :)

Saisri_PharmStdnt likes this.
  5. Saisri_PharmStdnt

Pre-Pharmacy
    You're very welcome. And don't become discouraged by comparing where you are to where friends are. You're on completely different journeys. You'll get there :)

6. Sincerely Sapphire

Pharmacy Student
    Another great way to find study buddies is by the pre-pharm or pre-med groups at your college. That set's you up with like minded people as well. Otherwise just befriending the people you sit next to in those classes is a good strategy. Everyone needs struggle buddies. Especially in these challenging courses.

7. konp

Hi Saphire,

I would love to meet like minded students in a Pre-Pharm and Pre-Med groups at a college or a university; however I am not enrolled in any college or university. I wonder if I can just attend a meeting for the Pre-Pharma and Pre-Med groups at a local university in my area?

Thanks!

Sincerely Sapphire likes this.
  8. Saisri_PharmStdnt

Pre-Pharmacy
    I think the idea is to join one of those groups where you're planning on taking your prerequisites that you mentioned needing. For example, I know the community colleges I've attended had what they called a Pre-Health club, it just didn't happen to have anything actively going for Pharmacy. It was all pre-med and pre-veterinary the times I had looked into it. Other schools may have more active groups. It's worth looking into where you plan on enrolling. There should be a place on the school's website for clubs.

Sincerely Sapphire likes this.