Feb 2007: Took part I today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental Dork 09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How I studied: Dental Decks 2004 and old exams
How long I studied: 30 days, 6-8 hours a day
Back Ground: 3.1 gpa about middle of the class

What I thought of the exam:

It was 99% identical to the 2004 Pilot exam. Many repeats from previous years. I felt well prepared and think I will score low 90's upper 80's.

I am just writing this to let people know the new format is nothing to worry about. Having the questions mixed up, I believe, makes it easier. I say easier because you don't burn out on one subject. As for the testlets, you already know the info and are just applying it. Not bad at all. Honestly, the decks covered all but maybe 10 questions on the exam.

Thats all. Study decks and old exams and you will ace this thing.

DO NOT PM ME ASKING FOR QUESTIONS OR ANYTHING SPECIFIC ABOUT THE EXAM

Members don't see this ad.

It was 99% identical to the 2004 Pilot exam. Many repeats from previous years. I felt well prepared and think I will score low 90's upper 80's.

I am just writing this to let people know the new format is nothing to worry about. Having the questions mixed up, I believe, makes it easier. I say easier because you don't burn out on one subject. As for the testlets, you already know the info and are just applying it. Not bad at all. Honestly, the decks covered all but maybe 10 questions on the exam.

Dental Dork 09
THANKS a BILLION ,for sharing ur experience with us.
well good luck for the results.

hi dental dork,

thanks so much for sharing ur experience.just one question...are you already in dental school?

Members don't see this ad :)
....hey dental dork....was really wondering myself about the new format....thanx for sharing your experience with us....good luck for the results....budding dentist

No problem guys.

I was in the same boat a month ago. Not knowing what to do. When I first picked up the decks I thought I was screwed. It took me two weeks to cover them just once.

Then I covered the decks one more time in 4 days. After that I did 1998 and a few years back old exam. Honed in where I was weak, again using decks and wikipedia.

Finally I covered the decks again and did every single released exam. IF I did not know what one of the anwsers were, I looked it up in wikipedia. The key is knowing why its right and why the other choices are wrong.

Oh yeah, I did the 2004 exam as the last one. This was to make sure I was ready for the real deal.
I hope I help some people

yes ur post is a real help for me. thanks a lot and good luck with ur scores. pls also share us ur scores :thumbup:

No problem guys.

I was in the same boat a month ago. Not knowing what to do. When I first picked up the decks I thought I was screwed. It took me two weeks to cover them just once.

Then I covered the decks one more time in 4 days. After that I did 1998 and a few years back old exam. Honed in where I was weak, again using decks and wikipedia.

Finally I covered the decks again and did every single released exam. IF I did not know what one of the anwsers were, I looked it up in wikipedia. The key is knowing why its right and why the other choices are wrong.

Oh yeah, I did the 2004 exam as the last one. This was to make sure I was ready for the real deal.

I m in same boat , now I don't know what 2 do should I start preparation for part 2 as wn I sit idle part 1 expectation haunts me.
help me .

No problem guys.

thanks for writing every thing perfect

Last edited:
thanks for writing every thing perfect ,i have one question ,what is wikipedia and how we can access to it and use? :) thanks good luck [email protected]

Wiki is a specific search database, and can be openly edited by anybody.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

On this page, left hand side, centre you see a search tab, enter your words there and search.

basically its like google, but the articles can be edited by anybody.

Ct

Members don't see this ad :)
can you please explain a little more on testlets and were the questions really different or studyin the old materials (DECKS/ first aid) is enough for the new format?

thanks
chris

can you please explain a little more on testlets and were the questions really different or studyin the old materials (DECKS/ first aid) is enough for the new format?

thanks
chris

Questions are in identical format to the old questions. Only difference is they are mixed up. There is no big deal about being mixed up. You already know the info.

Decks and old exams are enough. If you want to get above 90 for sure, then look through your old school notes and exams. I felt my exams at school were much harder than Part I. But like I said, I only did old released exams and decks. And when I say do decks, KNOW THEM. Do not skip anything on the back.

Testlets, people, stop freakingout!!!! Go to the 2004 pilot exam and they ask questions like that. On the ADA website is an identical example of what they look like. No big deal.

And remember, the new format is just that, a new format. Nothing has changed with the material covered. An example would be the new corvette. It looks different from the old one, but its still a corvette that has a $hit load of HP, takes gas to work and has 2 doors. The only thing that changed on the corvette is the look, just like Part 1, only the look has changed.

I am just writing this to let people know the new format is nothing to worry about. Having the questions mixed up, I believe, makes it easier. I say easier because you don't burn out on one subject. As for the testlets, you already k

Hi,i want to start with my prep for NBDE 1 but have no clue how ?? Can you guide me how shoukd i procede steo wise i mean toefl..EE. What is the diff b/e dental decks and testlets.Pls help
Thanks!

Hi,i want to start with my prep for NBDE 1 but have no clue how ?? Can you guide me how shoukd i procede steo wise i mean toefl..EE. What is the diff b/e dental decks and testlets.Pls help
Thanks!

Holy crap! Can you people not read my posts or something?!?!?!?!?

Please refer to ALL my above posts because I am not going to re-type them.

Thanks Dental Dork 09 for your helpful post

Good Luck

<P>
Hi,i want to start with my prep for NBDE 1 but have no clue how ?? Can you guide me how shoukd i procede steo wise i mean toefl..EE. What is the diff b/e dental decks and testlets.Pls help</P>
<P>Thanks!
</P>
<P>FYI i was asking abt toefl and EE.Can you throw some light on these as well? where do i get the study material for these?</P>
<P>thanks</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>

Questions are in identical format to the old questions. Only difference is they are mixed up. There is no big deal about being mixed up. You already know the info.

Decks and old exams are enough. If you want to get above 90 for sure, then look through your old school notes and exams. I felt my exams at school were much harder than Part I. But like I said, I only did old released exams and decks. And when I say do decks, KNOW THEM. Do not skip anything on the back.

Testlets, people, stop freakingout!!!! Go to the 2004 pilot exam and they ask questions like that. On the ADA website is an identical example of what they look like. No big deal.

And remember, the new format is just that, a new format. Nothing has changed with the material covered. An example would be the new corvette. It looks different from the old one, but its still a corvette that has a $hit load of HP, takes gas to work and has 2 doors. The only thing that changed on the corvette is the look, just like Part 1, only the look has changed.

hi thanks for your honest writing ,so if we read decks and old exams can we for sure take 90+? pls let us know. thanks

Last edited:
<P></P>
<P>FYI i was asking abt toefl and EE.Can you throw some light on these as well? where do i get the study material for these?</P>
<P>thanks</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>

Hey dreamdr,
U get the info abt toefl on ETS website or click on the link below:
http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/...toid=69c0197a484f4010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD
Then, u decide whether to join a course or to study on ur own getting the materials. U can also practice online for free.
Then, coming to ur EE, i assume u r asking abt ECE.. For this, u go to http://ece.org/ and fill the form for evaluation, send them all ur marks cards including 10th,12th, attempts certificates if any, and all the certificates like internship cert, pdc etc... Once u receive ur GPA, go ahead and take exams:thumbup:
I hope u r clear now:laugh:

Hi,
Ur info has been very helpful for people like me who r panic about the new format. Thank u for informing that the basic concepts remain the same no matter what the format is. Most of all, ur patience is appreciated in sharing with us ur experience willing to help others.

Good luck

Hi,
Ur info has been very helpful for people like me who r panic about the new format. Thank u for informing that the basic concepts remain the same no matter what the format is. Most of all, ur patience is appreciated in sharing with us ur experience willing to help others.

Good luck

No problem

Just study and you will do fine.

Doing decks once and reading them over throughly will make you pass. Doing decks twice will make you do better. Knowing what is on the back of the deck before flipping it over will get you 90+

The key is DOING ALL OLD EXAMS. I had a repeat from the 1978 exam, but be careful. Somethings do change and even though an old questions says its right and you might be wary of it, look it up. I found a few questions that I studied during d-school that were different from old exams

But hey, we are doctors and can figure this out.

No problem

Just study and you will do fine.

Doing decks once and reading them over throughly will make you pass. Doing decks twice will make you do better. Knowing what is on the back of the deck before flipping it over will get you 90+

The key is DOING ALL OLD EXAMS. I had a repeat from the 1978 exam, but be careful. Somethings do change and even though an old questions says its right and you might be wary of it, look it up. I found a few questions that I studied during d-school that were different from old exams

But hey, we are doctors and can figure this out.

Yup, u r rite!!! But, unfortunately we can figure out the trickiest questions easily than the answers to them:p
Anyways, let me jump into the water first and then see the depth of it...
Once again, billion thanks for ur valuable tips:love:

I just want to ask you guys if you studied the kapaln q bank from the dvd study materials you bought or signed up at kaplan website and joined(1 month or 3 months) for the q bank ? Isnt it the same(the dvd or q bank online)?
Thanks !

dn waste money by joining kaplan online,,
if u have material it is good.

rest is ur wish

Hi guys,
Im from india and new to this forum. I was planning to buy part 1 materials from this forum. I have a concern to ask u guys.. Are these sellers genuine? Is there anybody who bought materials from this forum?
Please help me telling how things work here.. I would really appreciate ur effort in answering me..

Thanks

Hey dreamdr,
U get the info abt toefl on ETS website or click on the link below:
http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/...toid=69c0197a484f4010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD
Then, u decide whether to join a course or to study on ur own getting the materials. U can also practice online for free.
Then, coming to ur EE, i assume u r asking abt ECE.. For this, u go to http://ece.org/ and fill the form for evaluation, send them all ur marks cards including 10th,12th, attempts certificates if any, and all the certificates like internship cert, pdc etc... Once u receive ur GPA, go ahead and take exams:thumbup:
I hope u r clear now:laugh:
Hey there,
Thanks a lot ! Atlast someone replied.Thanks for the info ,but where do i get the study material for toefl .I want to start studying now without waisting time.And for that matter certificates have to be xerox or original?
thanks again!

I'm still waiting.

So painful to check the mail and not having it there.

I do not think I will get it until early march since I was one of the first to take the exam and they need a good batch to standardize it.

I'm still waiting.

So painful to check the mail and not having it there.

I do not think I will get it until early march since I was one of the first to take the exam and they need a good batch to standardize it.

hi
dont worry ull b fine. and good luck fr ur result.

:D Well so what if u dont wanna tell questions then :) dont do that. How about asking us few questions jus to see how well we r prepared?:smuggrin:

:D Well so what if u dont wanna tell questions then :) dont do that. How about asking us few questions jus to see how well we r prepared?:smuggrin:
Allow me to direct your attention to the multiple announcements, prominently displayed throughout the dental forums, regarding the NBDE and how users trying to obtain remembered questions, unreleased exams, or any other illegally obtained NBDE materials are subject to account termination immediately & without warning...

Thanks Dental dork , for all the information provided about new format. I want to know were there any specific question on dental ethics/patient management , as ADA had mentioned in its technical report?

I want to know were there any specific question on dental ethics/patient management , as ADA had mentioned in its technical report?

Yeah, and the ethics sucked. Who the hell knows what answer they were looking for. Some ethics questions seemed more about knowing current law than ethics, which was very obvious when I got home and looked up an answer and found it under a law statue

So make sure to study current dental law questions to do good on the ethics part.

..hey dental dork...first of all thanx again for all the information u shared withus....just wanted to know a few things...heard that there were a few questions with a clinical scenario in the new format...do i need to brush up on medecine and pharmac to be able to answer these questions?....also do i need to read the kaplans theory part first before going to the decks?...or should i just refer back to the theoy if i need to look up something?....also did u refer to any textbook for info or is wikipedia the best for looking up stuff?....have u heard of this nbd1 secret study guide ?...is it helpful...another thing is thatim givin these exams in between my internship,,so i dont have an internship completion certificate to send to ece...is that a problem?please let me know....thanx...and all the best for your results....

[Yeah, and the ethics sucked. Who the hell knows what answer they were looking for. Some ethics questions seemed more about knowing current law than ethics, which was very obvious when I got home and looked up an answer and found it under a law statue

So make sure to study current dental law questions to do good on the ethics part]

Thanks for the information dental dork.Please let us know about your score too so that we get an idea of conversion scale (I hope you won't mind):)

can anybody plz tel me how many que are there o a given scenario and que cocerning it??

also is there any part coming from clinical sciences apart from anat da biochem physio micro path???

can anybody plz tel me how many que are there o a given scenario and que cocerning it??

also is there any part coming from clinical sciences apart from anat da biochem physio micro path???

A simple search on the ADA website will answer every single question you have.

I am not sure why people come here and say " Plz help friend, I have no idea wat to study"

Its not some huge secret that only a few can answer. The ADA tells you in detail what aspects they cover

On a side note, I just looked up some statistics for the exam from 2005. 50% of foreign grads failed the exam the first time and about 40% failed the repeat. Time to get studying!

And how about this: "The score scales for Part I examinations are determined by reference to performance standards established in 1982."

Amazing what you can find with a google search.

Here is the whole 92 page document, but things have changed for the new format. You can look up the link for that one because I can't do all the work

hello dental dorke, i was wondering if you had your results or not, i`ve took my exam on the 7th of feb. & i`m still waiting for the results,
verrrrrrry irritating!

hello dental dorke, i was wondering if you had your results or not, i`ve took my exam on the 7th of feb. & i`m still waiting for the results,
verrrrrrry irritating!

Yeah I'm still waiting.

I think another week before we get it. But that is a total guess.

Hey Dental Dork

Best wishes with your results! May your hard work pay off.

Regarding law and ethics: I know that ADA has posted books that one can refer to to study for this topic. I dont have these books and secondly - nor does my dental library. You mentioned some websites you visited to get answers once you came home - would you be kind enough to let us know what websites these were? Or, anywhere else you may suggest?

Regards..
:)

hey dental dork.thanx for the link.m new to sdn and only recently have decided to give the exam.....i was wondering if u cud help me wid the queery about new pattern.
is there any fixed no. of que based on a given scenario?
and whats the current trend regarrding the percentile.i mean how much one shud get for an admission?

hey dental dork.thanx for the link.m new to sdn and only recently have decided to give the exam.....i was wondering if u cud help me wid the queery about new pattern.
is there any fixed no. of que based on a given scenario?
and whats the current trend regarrding the percentile.i mean how much one shud get for an admission?

Sorry, I do not remember how many questions on each scenario. Just review to the 2004 pilot

Admissions for foreign grad will probably still need a 90 or better. I do not expect the overall score to drop or go higher because of the new format, but I could be very wrong and the new format maybe a lot harder on people

hey dental dork. where do i arrange for 2004 pilot exams??plz help wid dis.............i know some que might sound stupid but at this stage i think its worth askin que..........

hey dental dork. where do i arrange for 2004 pilot exams??plz help wid dis.............i know some que might sound stupid but at this stage i think its worth askin que..........

Please do a search. I turned off my PM because I am not peoples personal google. Stop being lazy and look up the info because you and I have the access to the same stuff