FEB OAT's???

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeneedhelp

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm currently a senior in college (Bio major) and plan to take the OAT in Feb. I have recently skimmed bio, chem, physics material but plan to set up a 6-8 hour plan each day of studying - starting this Friday. I did not sell any of my old texts and am basically organizing material/topics that need to be reviewed using an OAT prep book as a guide. This will be my first time taking the OAT's. I plan to go ahead and apply to schools that have rolling admissions for the fall of 2003-
plan B) if I don't get in, I will take oct OAT's and reapply for admission into fall of 2004. I worked with an optometrist this past summer and simply loved it- he had his own practice which was very cool.... I am currently shadowing another optometrist as well- 2 rec letters her and a few from science professors. Well anyway, I welcome advice.... please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome!

In addition to old textbooks and class notes, a lot of us have used MCAT prep books and the TopScore OAT sample test CD to prepare for the OAT. You can get "last year's model" MCAT prep books at half.com and other places for practically nothing, and the TopScore CD is about $40 (do a google search for it--I ordered it directly from the company and I had it in about 3 days).

Send in your applications as soon as possible -- you can still get an interview before the schools receive your OAT scores.

Which schools are you applying to?

Good luck! :)

I'm selling my TOPSCORE CD for $10. It was used for the October test for only three months. If you're interested, PM Me. I'm also selling my Lippincott manual for $10.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
I would love to buy the material from you! You can email me @[email protected]. Do you have any advice on how to study for the OAT's b/w now and February?? U got an awesome score! Best of luck! Thanks again!

My advice is to read through a good review book (any of the MCAT prep ones are the best), and take as many timed tests as possible. The OAT is just as much about endurance and speed as it is about knowledge. Learn and practice how to do the types of problems you find in the quantitative, physics and chem sections because they're representative of what you'll find on the real thing. When you find yourself doing the problems without really "thinking" about them, you'll know you're in good shape -- the OAT felt more like a race than a test for some of the sections (at least for me!). Also, try getting comfortable estimating calculations in your head (or on paper) without using a calculator.

Good luck!!!

MCAT prep books are probably the best way to go - that, and taking as many practice exams as possible. Studying your class notes may be a little to detailed for the OAT; I would probably only refer to them if you were a little uncertain of the explanation given in the prep books. Good luck.

Eyeneedhelp,
I emailed you at your hotmail account. :clap:

Hey, how long before the OAT should I start studying? How many hours a day did you guys spend on it? Someone told me that if I studied 3 hrs/day for 3 months I should be alright. Is that too little?

What do you think?