Fed jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

songaila

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I happened to browse the USAJOBS.com. There seems to be a lot of positions for pharmcists in VA hospitals. A lot of the locations are not bad at all. Their pay is pretty competitive with the retail.

My question is if you count the retirement benefit into it, it beats retail in pay and the lifestyle should be better. Why can't they seem not to fill the positions?

Members don't see this ad.

I've wondered that myself...I've had my eye on the one in Philly for a while now. I can't imagine it's any worse than any other hospital pharmacy job....right...?

just curious, how busy is your hospital in that rural area? I assume it has to be busy. Is it retail busy?

If you count the "bennies" from any government jobs, it seems like they beat any corporate jobs hands down. It is not even close. 401k is a joke. Drawing monthly pension, now, that's gansta.

I kept reading that you one can not get a pharmacist jobs in the hospital in a decent area. I live in NYC. The hospitals can't seem to fill the positions. Granted, a lot of *()*( shifts.

Members don't see this ad :)
government jobs are great. one of the hardest thing about working for the government is the massive amounts of paperwork and CYA (cover your a&&) that goes on. If you can get through that process, anyone can work for the government

just curious, how busy is your hospital in that rural area? I assume it has to be busy. Is it retail busy?

If you count the "bennies" from any government jobs, it seems like they beat any corporate jobs hands down. It is not even close. 401k is a joke. Drawing monthly pension, now, that's gansta.

I kept reading that you one can not get a pharmacist jobs in the hospital in a decent area. I live in NYC. The hospitals can't seem to fill the positions. Granted, a lot of *()*( shifts.

It's not too bad when there is more than one pharmacist around. When it's just you alone on the weekends....200 inpatients....it gets pretty damn hairy. It's not as busy as retail, but the work is much more demanding. You wind up much more mentally exhausted at the end of the day...but it's always something different every day.

Why can't they seem not to fill the positions?

It is not that they can't fill the positions but I believe by law, they must post all openings. So the director may already have someone in mind eventhough the position is posted.

Also, some clinical pharmacist at the VA can prescribe meds under a physician.

Another possible perk. The retirement benefits are a big plus! They are a defined benefit plan so you know what you can expect to get on your highest 12 consecutive quarters of work.

Defined contribution plans are the norm now because they put less burden on the employer and put it on the employee to fund their retirement.

I plan to work for the government one day and take less pay for the benefits. PLus, you can always make up the pay with some part-time work.