You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Federal Hiring Freeze
Started by Ollie123
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
ForensicPsychFightClub
Full Member
You know measles is from poor diet, right ?!
Exactly. Drink some raw milk and eat a whole uncooked onion for a cure, friend.
Luckily we’ll have a lot of nutritious disease-curing produce in the government wellness camps staffed by all the unmedicated people with ADHD.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They gave up that one protester who's now had his green card revoked and essentially been disappeared. What more does the government want from them?
Seeing as the government, at least at the federal level in the executive branch, has been hijacked by people who are actively trying to dismantle the government and install loyalists to push ideologies and agendas using Trump as their useful idiot....well they want to dismantle education because an educated populace is a threat to their goals. They also paint colleges as places where "leftist radicals" thrive and protest; and a protesting population is a less controlled population. They want indoctrination not critical thinking or research.
You ask what more do they want? They want Columbia to fall in line or go bankrupt.
Last edited:
Do these schools not have lawyers or...? Wouldn't most of these funds already have been approved at least for the current calendar year?The dominos are starting to fall in regard to funding disruptions….UMass Biosciences just rescinded ALL grad offers for this grad year.
Are you so sure about that? Unless you're a millionaire or billionaire ? I'm not being sarcastic, just curious how you figure you'll benefit "greatly"?I mean, I'm one of those that will benefit greatly from a financial perspective.
Last edited:
Are you so sure about that? Unless you're a millionaire or billionaire ? I'm not being sarcastic, just curious how you figure you'll benefit "greatly"?
The extension of the tax cuts are beneficial to my income bracket. I also wouldn't be surprised if there are some bones in there for some of my investment vehicles and s-corp tax structure.
Thanks for the insight. Honestly though will this offset potential losses in revenue and income for your services ? Given the proposed cuts on Medicare/medicaid as well as the possibility that a recession occurs and reduces spending on your services?The extension of the tax cuts are beneficial to my income bracket. I also wouldn't be surprised if there are some bones in there for some of my investment vehicles and s-corp tax structure.
Unless he sees a high % of medicare patients, I think he (& others including myself) shouldn't be too badly impacted by a downturn in the economy. As for the tax benefits, they could be a net positive, especially if there are S-Corp benefits. For my practice, I only see workers comp cases, but the majority of my revenue comes from expert work and some side legal and niche consulting work. Generalists will likely have different challenges, but at least for most neuropsychs, we don't take commercial insurance, and a portion to a large portion of our revenue comes from legal work, which will continue to exist and might even go up with a downturn in the economy. I run a small boutique practice where I prioritize flexibility and less hours, but I still hope to be in a position to take advantage of at least some of those tax breaks.Thanks for the insight. Honestly though will this offset potential losses in revenue and income for your services ? Given the proposed cuts on Medicare/medicaid as well as the possibility that a recession occurs and reduces spending on your services?
Thanks for the insight. Honestly though will this offset potential losses in revenue and income for your services ? Given the proposed cuts on Medicare/medicaid as well as the possibility that a recession occurs and reduces spending on your services?
The majority of my revenue is non-clinical. I am busier than ever, and even with a slight downturn, I'll likely be just fine. I have to turn work down constantly.
The majority of my revenue is non-clinical. I am busier than ever, and even with a slight downturn, I'll likely be just fine. I have to turn work down constantly.
It's still weird to me that medicolegal work is considered "non-clinical" when your skills as a clinician are what is being called upon.
It's still weird to me that medicolegal work is considered "non-clinical" when your skills as a clinician are what is being called upon.
Yeah, definitely overlapping skillset. But, treated much differently from a legal and billing standpoint.
Yeah, definitely overlapping skillset. But, treated much differently from a legal and billing standpoint.
Oh, I believe it: further evidence of lawyer-land's divorce from reality.
They love to demand that you cancel clinic to attend legal proceedings. Then they love to say you don't do enough clinical work.It's still weird to me that medicolegal work is considered "non-clinical" when your skills as a clinician are what is being called upon.
I attended a forensic-oriented talk in which one of the (psychologist) presenters said exactly this.It's still weird to me that medicolegal work is considered "non-clinical" when your skills as a clinician are what is being called upon.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So long as I get paid 600 an hour for every minute I’m away from the office, I’m willing to do that. Also, so glad I don’t work for them anymore. Always hated them and the things they say.They love to demand that you cancel clinic to attend legal proceedings. Then they love to say you don't do enough clinical work.
Eh, for the most part, I've had pretty good interactions with the legal sources who have hired me. And, I have never rescheduled a clinical patient for legal work.
Several grants at our center just got terminated today😕 Unclear if the university will offer bridge funding or the staff/students will simply be let go (or have hours cut). I think there are at least 4-5 more potentially on the chopping block, its not remotely clear to me what order they are going on.
That’s awful! Do you know what topics/mechanisms?Several grants at our center just got terminated today😕 Unclear if the university will offer bridge funding or the staff/students will simply be let go (or have hours cut). I think there are at least 4-5 more potentially on the chopping block, its not remotely clear to me what order they are going on.
Topics impacted so far are - not surprisingly - in the LGBTQ+ health space. Span several different institutes (NCI, NIDA, NIMHD) and mechanisms (R01, R21, supplements, even internal grants that come via federal dollars). We have at least one other grant in that space I'm aware of that hasn't (yet) been terminated, but we assume it is just a matter of time. The other grants we think "could" be targeted are on topics like the health effects of racism, tailored interventions for specific minority populations, etc. Across the board, we're seeing fewer (but not zero?) termination of awards in those areas.
Topics impacted so far are - not surprisingly - in the LGBTQ+ health space. Span several different institutes (NCI, NIDA, NIMHD) and mechanisms (R01, R21, supplements, even internal grants that come via federal dollars). We have at least one other grant in that space I'm aware of that hasn't (yet) been terminated, but we assume it is just a matter of time. The other grants we think "could" be targeted are on topics like the health effects of racism, tailored interventions for specific minority populations, etc. Across the board, we're seeing fewer (but not zero?) termination of awards in those areas.
Surely this move will make that homophobic dude on my block see a reduction in his grocery bill.
*sigh*
www.nature.com
‘One of the darkest days’: NIH purges agency leadership amid mass lay-offs
In shock move, four institute directors at the US biomedical agency are removed from their posts.
Surprise, surprise. COVID denialist guts NIAID. In other news, fork found in kitchen 😡 😡 😡*sigh*
![]()
‘One of the darkest days’: NIH purges agency leadership amid mass lay-offs
In shock move, four institute directors at the US biomedical agency are removed from their posts.www.nature.com
Edit: Good Lord, look at this gem:
"At least some directors were offered reassignments to the Indian Health Service, a division of the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that provides medical care to Indigenous people living in the United States. (The HHS is the parent agency of the NIH.) “HHS proposes to reassign you as part of a broader effort to strengthen the Department and more effectively promote the health of the American people,” reads an e-mail to the directors that Nature has obtained. “This underserved community deserves the highest quality of service, and HHS needs individuals like you to deliver that service,” it says, offering reassignment to locations such as Alaska, Montana and Oklahoma."
NIH Institute directors are being sent to the Gulag. Guess someone has been taking notes at Putin's elbow.
Sanman
O.G.
This is the worst kind of April Fool's joke.*sigh*
![]()
‘One of the darkest days’: NIH purges agency leadership amid mass lay-offs
In shock move, four institute directors at the US biomedical agency are removed from their posts.www.nature.com
Is the federal hiring freeze still being implemented for VA psychologists? If not, are the starting salaries still matching the published GS step guidelines? I heard that a few years ago they were in so desperate need for psychologists that it was common to negotiate a higher salary.
Mcgirt v Oklahoma is a weird gem in this light. “Do you want the HHS, or do you want the state of Oklahoma?”.Surprise, surprise. COVID denialist guts NIAID. In other news, fork found in kitchen 😡 😡 😡
Edit: Good Lord, look at this gem:
"At least some directors were offered reassignments to the Indian Health Service, a division of the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that provides medical care to Indigenous people living in the United States. (The HHS is the parent agency of the NIH.) “HHS proposes to reassign you as part of a broader effort to strengthen the Department and more effectively promote the health of the American people,” reads an e-mail to the directors that Nature has obtained. “This underserved community deserves the highest quality of service, and HHS needs individuals like you to deliver that service,” it says, offering reassignment to locations such as Alaska, Montana and Oklahoma."
NIH Institute directors are being sent to the Gulag. Guess someone has been taking notes at Putin's elbow.
Damn, these proposed program cuts are brutal (and likely literally deadly, lbr): New: A 64-page HHS restructuring proposal outlines sweeping cuts to US public health.
Last edited:
Broken link
Fixed!Broken link
Are they eliminating funding for Head Start?? I’m so confused
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are they eliminating funding for Head Start?? I’m so confused
Who knows, but at least one proposal document would make it appear that is the plan.
According to the linked document, yes, they want to. Also, they plan on eliminating most of the Administration on Community Living (including seemingly all of NIDILRR), a lot of HRSA, most NIH ICs, and a lot of SAMHSA programs, including Assertive Community Treatment.Are they eliminating funding for Head Start?? I’m so confused
Welp, one of our grants is getting cancelled at the end of the fiscal year. Not a huge one for me in terms of FTE but still sucks (Department of Ed and DEI focused so we were kind of waiting for it tbh) 😔
Ugh, so sorry to hear it. My university (in a very red state) has decided not to appeal any grant terminations and basically roll over for the administration so.....that extra sucks. People are actively worried about not even being allowed to publish in certain areas or use non-federal funds for things that might conceivably involve "DEI." The blurry line between what constitutes DEI versus traditional "health disparities" work makes things extra complicated.
I've now spoken to 3 separate people expecting to have to leave the institution at some point.
I've now spoken to 3 separate people expecting to have to leave the institution at some point.
Ugh, so sorry to hear it. My university (in a very red state) has decided not to appeal any grant terminations and basically roll over for the administration so.....that extra sucks. People are actively worried about not even being allowed to publish in certain areas or use non-federal funds for things that might conceivably involve "DEI." The blurry line between what constitutes DEI versus traditional "health disparities" work makes things extra complicated.
I've now spoken to 3 separate people expecting to have to leave the institution at some point.
Come on up to the Northern Blue/Purple, it's nice up here 🙂
The “Brain Drain” is real btw forced deportation of the best and brightest immigrants in higher-ed and those fleeing back out of fear. We get left with the ignorant anti-intellectual never leave their hometown dullards who hate science and diversity.
The “Brain Drain” is real btw forced deportation of the best and brightest immigrants in higher-ed and those fleeing back out of fear. We get left with the ignorant anti-intellectual never leave their hometown dullards who hate science and diversity.
I have a buddy who works in healthcare research, with international offices. He says his company is loving this. Their overseas research positions are getting applications from superstars who were in US govt and other academic positions. Said it's the best recruitment crop he's seen in his 15+ years in the company.
Since almost everything I touched in academia was “dei” or “dei”-adjacent….. not sorry to have bailed when I did…. This situation looks awful.
Sanman
O.G.
I have a buddy who works in healthcare research, with international offices. He says his company is loving this. Their overseas research positions are getting applications from superstars who were in US govt and other academic positions. Said it's the best recruitment crop he's seen in his 15+ years in the company.
While this all sucks at the moment, curious to see if this means there will be a more balanced academic market in the future.
I actually think I'd love Minnesota/Michigan/Wisconsin, but finding a university that will match my package here may be a challenge.Come on up to the Northern Blue/Purple, it's nice up here 🙂
Also the sheer number of space heaters my wife will need to consider it. Like a "Buy stock in the companies that make them" level of space heaters.
While this all sucks at the moment, curious to see if this means there will be a more balanced academic market in the future.
Personally, I think it will lead to the US falling further and further behind on scientific advancements and innovation.
I actually think I'd love Minnesota/Michigan/Wisconsin, but finding a university that will match my package here may be a challenge.
Also the sheer number of space heaters my wife will need to consider it. Like a "Buy stock in the companies that make them" level of space heaters.
Screw those cheese loving alcoholic badgers. But, the cold really isn't as bad as people make it out to be
In this economy?!?!? Might need to leave the wife behind in the Sun Belt (jk)Also the sheer number of space heaters my wife will need to consider it. Like a "Buy stock in the companies that make them" level of space heaters.
In this economy?!?!? Might need to leave the wife behind in the Sun Belt (jk)
I mean, just wait a year, by then it'll probably be legal to sell her in this country.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You knew what this was.
I don't know man. I visited Minnesota for a conference last summer and it was rainy and 50s in July. I'd need a body bubble space heater.Personally, I think it will lead to the US falling further and further behind on scientific advancements and innovation.
Screw those cheese loving alcoholic badgers. But, the cold really isn't as bad as people make it out to be
I don't know man. I visited Minnesota for a conference last summer and it was rainy and 50s in July. I'd need a body bubble space heater.
That was definitely a weird cold spell, it's usually high 70s/low to mid 80's in July/August. Perfect weather.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 639
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 817