Feedback at interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blakjak12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope that you're continuing to survive internship season alright...let the busyness of travel begin. I had my first two interviews this past week, and at both, I had a hard time gauging how interested the sites were in me as an applicant, at least compared to graduate school interviews (which were at research-oriented PhD programs).

At grad school interviews, I generally got the sense that they thought I was a good fit too, and that they truly were interested in me as an applicant (e.g., providing more personalized recruiting pitches for why I was a good fit, eagerly following up with questions, etc.). However, at my first two interviews, although there were plenty of social niceties (e.g., it was great meeting you; feel free to get in-touch with questions, etc.), and obviously some interest because I was there in the first place, I had a much harder time determining if the sites truly were interested in me as an applicant (i.e., would a be a "top" or sought-after candidate).

Obviously I am new to this, but for people who have been through this process, did you generally have a good sense or feeling of where you would be ranked highly at/after the interview day? I realize that the process could just be different from grad school (e.g., sites are interviewing far more applicants, they can't disclose ranking-related information, etc.), but if this keeps going as is, it's going to be really difficult to get any sense of where I am highly wanted. I have heard that you are not supposed to try to guess which sites like you and to make your rankings based on which sites you truly liked best (which I plan to do), so all of this doesn't matter in many ways. However, this whole process is going to difficult psychologically in some ways (more so than it already is!) if there isn't more concrete positive feedback (although I realize I may be overthinking this).

So, long explanation aside, my question is, for sites where people interviewed, did you have a good sense of where you were wanted? If so, were there clear signs of this (e.g., follow-up emails/calls initiated by the site, more direct language about high interest at the interviews)?

I apologize for being neurotic, but any insight into this would be helpful! Just not sure how this is supposed to go, and as stated, these first two interviews have been a much different experience as far as "recruitment" is concerned than were my grad school ones. Thank you very much for any thoughts/advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,
I realize that the process could just be different from grad school (e.g., sites are interviewing far more applicants, they can't disclose ranking-related information, etc.), but if this keeps going as is, it's going to be really difficult to get any sense of where I am highly wanted. I have heard that you are not supposed to try to guess which sites like you and to make your rankings based on which sites you truly liked best (which I plan to do), so all of this doesn't matter in many ways. However, this whole process is going to difficult psychologically in some ways (more so than it already is!) if there isn't more concrete positive feedback (although I realize I may be overthinking this).

The info bolded above is 100% accurate. They CANNOT communicate ranking info to you, they are interviewing way more applicants, different interviewers may have very different opinions of who they want at a site and so they don't want to communicate that you're going to get an offer just because they like you, or that you won't get one because they don't when other people are involved in making that decision, AND none of it matters because you should rank based solely on your own preferences (there's a large page about this on the APPIC website that helps explain why trying to "game" the match doesn't work). In my experience, I didn't know whether sites liked me more or less than the average person, and that was true for both research and clinically focused sites, and I matched well, so I don't think I was missing something that other applicants were getting in terms of feedback. I know it's a super hard process emotionally, but at least on this count, you don't have to be worried!

I agree with what temppsych said. I'll add that I wound up matching to place that I didn't think liked me all that much. It was in the middle of my busiest interview week, I was feeling frazzled, and I had to leave early to catch a flight to another interview. I still ranked them high, and I'm glad I did, because I had a great year! I'll also add that some sites have strict policies about contact between interviewing and ranking. Many places where I interviewed said something along the lines of "feel free to contact us if you have further questions about our site, but we will not be reaching out to you again prior to Match Day." So, don't read too much into radio silence. For many places, that's just standard operating procedure. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
So, long explanation aside, my question is, for sites where people interviewed, did you have a good sense of where you were wanted? If so, were there clear signs of this (e.g., follow-up emails/calls initiated by the site, more direct language about high interest at the interviews)?

I knew, but not because of anything explicit like what you mentioned. It was just a good fit on both ends and it was clear even at the time of the interview.

Nope. They can't give feedback and besides they are interviewing many other great candidates at the same time. I remember that most of the other candidates appeared as capable and knowledgeable as I was so i just did my best and ranked the sites and prayed that I wouldn't be in the 20% that didn't match.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think they underscore not trying to game the system, not being paranoid about looking for "clues" regarding how you might be perceived by a site, and focusing on where you as an applicant would like to end up!

Reactions: 1 users
I had some sites that clearly toed the boundary of not giving ranking info. A couple that sent ME really enthusiastic thank yous, for example. But the majority of sites were very professional, including the one I matched to. I ended up appreciating that much more than the sites that went out of their way to show interest. I guess it felt inappropriate and sort of uncomfortable, really. I'd prefer places that can maintain boundaries.

I had some sites that clearly toed the boundary of not giving ranking info. A couple that sent ME really enthusiastic thank yous, for example. But the majority of sites were very professional, including the one I matched to. I ended up appreciating that much more than the sites that went out of their way to show interest. I guess it felt inappropriate and sort of uncomfortable, really. I'd prefer places that can maintain boundaries.

This one is always tough to call without knowing what the verbiage is. A lot of places send out a cookie cutter thank you to everyone who came to interview, and some are fairly enthusiastic. But yes, I will also agree that there are some sites that probably push those boundaries a little.

Agree with everyone else--don't try to read into this much. Especially because you have no idea what the site faculty's experiences are with other applicants on other interview days. Trying to rank based on their impressions of YOU is a major mistake. There's one site I know of which sends personalized thank you emails to applicants after the interview, which feel very warm and fuzzy and convey this "we love YOU!" vibe. oth people I know who got this email ranked that site first, and neither matched there. For myself, I had a really great experience with a site that felt like a great fit, they had clearly read my materials closely and seemed interested in in me.....and I didn't match there. Internship was a really great lesson in "just because something feels right on your end doesn't mean others feel the same way." No regrets about my ranking OR my internship year, but you can drive yourself bonkers with trying to figure out where the sites are at, and it's just not time well spent.

This one is always tough to call without knowing what the verbiage is. A lot of places send out a cookie cutter thank you to everyone who came to interview, and some are fairly enthusiastic. But yes, I will also agree that there are some sites that probably push those boundaries a little.

Wisneuro, I would typically agree about contacts being tough to call in some cases. But there was zero subtlety about a couple of the contacts I had. But I completely agree with Emot, people need to rank for their own perspectives. For me, any boundary issues knocked down a couple sites in my view.

I would also be careful about this because during internship interviews I had a site that gave me multiple indications that they were really interested in me. I ranked them one and matched further down on my list. I've heard this happening to others as well. With that said, the site I did match at also gave some indications that they were extremely interested. It can be a real crap shoot.....plus, all it takes is for the site to like one person more than you for their track (and if the applicant ranks them #1)....you won't match there. Interviewing beyond internship is sooooo much better (let me tell you).

Hi all,

Hope that you're continuing to survive internship season alright...let the busyness of travel begin. I had my first two interviews this past week, and at both, I had a hard time gauging how interested the sites were in me as an applicant, at least compared to graduate school interviews (which were at research-oriented PhD programs).

At grad school interviews, I generally got the sense that they thought I was a good fit too, and that they truly were interested in me as an applicant (e.g., providing more personalized recruiting pitches for why I was a good fit, eagerly following up with questions, etc.). However, at my first two interviews, although there were plenty of social niceties (e.g., it was great meeting you; feel free to get in-touch with questions, etc.), and obviously some interest because I was there in the first place, I had a much harder time determining if the sites truly were interested in me as an applicant (i.e., would a be a "top" or sought-after candidate).

Obviously I am new to this, but for people who have been through this process, did you generally have a good sense or feeling of where you would be ranked highly at/after the interview day? I realize that the process could just be different from grad school (e.g., sites are interviewing far more applicants, they can't disclose ranking-related information, etc.), but if this keeps going as is, it's going to be really difficult to get any sense of where I am highly wanted. I have heard that you are not supposed to try to guess which sites like you and to make your rankings based on which sites you truly liked best (which I plan to do), so all of this doesn't matter in many ways. However, this whole process is going to difficult psychologically in some ways (more so than it already is!) if there isn't more concrete positive feedback (although I realize I may be overthinking this).

I apologize for being neurotic, but any insight into this would be helpful! Just not sure how this is supposed to go, and as stated, these first two interviews have been a much different experience as far as "recruitment" is concerned than were my grad school ones. Thank you very much for any thoughts/advice.

Mine was an interesting one. My interview started off with a group discussion/interaction followed by two individual interviews (one with a forensic psychologist and one with a neuropsychologist). During my interview with the forensic psychologist, our conversation seemed decent, she was "cold" I suppose. She was proper, professional and really didn't care to listen to anything that was a repeat from the application. I remember her flat out saying "tell me something that I wouldn't get from your CV or application." We spoke about my forensic interests, especially in relation to neuropsychology and that was it. I later met with the neuropsychologist whom said she didn't need to look at my application as she was impressed with me already having read my application. We literally free-talked for 40 minutes and talked about my potential for being her TA in a couple of her neuropsychology courses since I have a master's in cognitive neuroscience already. We spoke about projects she already had me in mind for which alluded to the very real probability of my acceptance. Weirdly enough, the last part of the interview day was when they gave us a case study and told us to write a 2-3 page analysis of the case study.

I think there's no one "right way" to gauge how you will come out of your interviews. One thing you will realize should you get into a program is how ethical these psychologists and professors need to be, and it will be very apparent in doctoral programs where the foundation for learning ethical behavior is fostered right at the front door. Don't be put off by it, just know they are emulating and exuding what it means to be an ethical professor of professional psychology. Now, in practicum sites, this might fluctuate a bit ;)

I had one place where I thought I totally nailed the interview and didn't match there. Then I matched at a site where I felt like I barely made any impression. Soo, my suggestion is to take everything with a grain of salt.

I would also be careful about this because during internship interviews I had a site that gave me multiple indications that they were really interested in me. I ranked them one and matched further down on my list. I've heard this happening to others as well. With that said, the site I did match at also gave some indications that they were extremely interested. It can be a real crap shoot.....plus, all it takes is for the site to like one person more than you for their track (and if the applicant ranks them #1)....you won't match there. Interviewing beyond internship is sooooo much better (let me tell you).
Same happened to me and at least one other person I know. I'm glad I matched where I did, but yikes. I got several "we like you!" emails, including some on the border of Match-dirty, and you may, too. Don't let them sway you!

Agree with everyone else--don't try to read into this much. Especially because you have no idea what the site faculty's experiences are with other applicants on other interview days. Trying to rank based on their impressions of YOU is a major mistake. There's one site I know of which sends personalized thank you emails to applicants after the interview, which feel very warm and fuzzy and convey this "we love YOU!" vibe. oth people I know who got this email ranked that site first, and neither matched there. For myself, I had a really great experience with a site that felt like a great fit, they had clearly read my materials closely and seemed interested in in me.....and I didn't match there. Internship was a really great lesson in "just because something feels right on your end doesn't mean others feel the same way." No regrets about my ranking OR my internship year, but you can drive yourself bonkers with trying to figure out where the sites are at, and it's just not time well spent.

Totally agree; thanks for this and thanks to everyone else for the helpful comments and feedback as well. Now that I have a few more completed interviews under my belt, I think some of it is just that I'm not sure if the few places I have interviewed yet are the place for me. I have a few January opportunities I am really excited about, so should be an interesting month! Having some more time to reflect on this (including reading and processing these responses) has helped to make it clear to make my ranks on where I want to be. Thanks again!