Feedback from programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reallyanon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would be interested what programs have given feedback and in which form. I think this might be usefull info. I'll start
Mayo-multiple emails from interviewer.
Michigan- email and handwritten note from PD
UVA- personal email from interviewer.
Brown- letter from interviewer

Members don't see this ad.

I got a letter and hand written note from the PD at UMich. I sent an email to Brown but got no response.

I received snail mail letter from PD at UVA with a hand written two liner from one of my interviewers at the bottom of the note. Have not heard anything from Brown. I know there are several threads that say you shouldn't read anything into these letters but I have to wonder if there is something to be said about receiving one. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also be interested if people have heard from the Harvard schools post interview or the big university programs in CA.

Can someone tell me how this information is supposed to be helpful? I suspect that people want to see how they "measure up" to other applicants at similar programs by seeing if they are getting extra attention from the programs? Even if this is true, shouldn't we be ranking our programs in order of how much we desire to go there rather than by how much we are desired?

Please fill me in if I am missing something.

the way that I think about it is there are several programs in the country that likely fill with people who ranked them number one. While this is less true for IM than other fields with smaller training programs it's safe to say places like Brigham likely aren't filling with people that rank them #17. It seems then that if you are considering several programs of that caliber for your number one spot it would be nice to know whether you are a realistic candidate to match at this institution. If multiple people are getting calls/letters whatever from a place and you're not then maybe you would want to use your number one spot on another program if they are roughly equal in your mind.

Can someone tell me how this information is supposed to be helpful? I suspect that people want to see how they "measure up" to other applicants at similar programs by seeing if they are getting extra attention from the programs? Even if this is true, shouldn't we be ranking our programs in order of how much we desire to go there rather than by how much we are desired?

Please fill me in if I am missing something.

Yes you are right. It's another way people want to inflate their ego by showing how they are being liked more by a program than another applicant.

Because bottom line is:
1) if u got a letter, great!
2) if u didnt get a letter, u'd still rank ur list by YOUR preference and not by the likelihood of matching

so either way, who cares?

If multiple people are getting calls/letters whatever from a place and you're not then maybe you would want to use your number one spot on another program if they are roughly equal in your mind.

umm no. the algorithm favors the applicant. so you should still use your #1 for your #1 preference school, not for the school where you have the most chance. it appears you do not know how the match really works. to see how it works see my post on Match Algorithm http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=354418

I agree with everything that ucladude posted but I was thinking more in terms of the fact that I have several programs that are pretty much equal in my mind. I plan on notifying my number one program they are number one (through my chair) and probably going on a second look. as an honest person I will only tell one program this and as such I see it as my last chance to perhaps alter where I end up on their rank list. so it doesn't have to do with the ranking but rather prior to ranking. the info that I am interested in and was sharing is not to stroke my ego, I have my girlfriend for that, but rather for other people that are perhaps in my situation it would be useful.

If you don't or think this thread is useless then why even post? I doubt anyone who received correspondence after an interview is going to hang his or her hat on a letter or lack thereof. Rather than assume that the inquiry of who receives correspondence is a method for self promotion and "ego inflation" why not view the original question as a way for applicants to gather insight to how PD operates. If everyone under the sun receives a letter/email/phone call then that tells me that said program is not being truthful and honest towards their interests in potential residents but rather are simply good at recruiting. On the other hand if few people receive correspondence from a program, then I would assume the program is legitimately interested in that applicant. The point of this post is to gather information not to Don King ones interests.

I'm not certain what everyone's problem is with threads like these and the one on stats. To those who think it's outrageous, ego pumping, hot air that's fine, don't look at it. You'll find that people from both ends of the application pool post, not just to relish in the unseen jealousy of their peers, but because it helps. People are really stressed out right now about where they may end up, what the process entails, and how even the smallest signals impacts these things. If they find some relief in sharing and comparing their experiences who are these doubters to cast their moral superiority over them- I thought this was what SDN was for. We get it. You're completely confident that everything's going to work out, you'll match at your #1 so others will too, and those who look at these things are mentally weak or arrogant. Fine. But cut everyone else some slack- it's a stressful time and they deserve to find comfort and insight where they can.

Fair enough. I apologize if I offended the OP or anyone else. But I think all programs want their applicants to rank them #1, so sending out personalized post-interview messages is the best way to do that, regardless if the program actually will rank them high. And because of that, I would guess that if a program is going to send out one letter, they will send them to all, because they know that applicants talk amongst each other. And if applicants found out certain people got letters while others didn't, those who didn't obviously will not be ranking the program high, and programs of course wants everyone to rank them high. Just my 2 cents.

If you've gotten follow up from a program they want you, period. You will be ranked to match.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that ultimately you should simply rank the programs in order of the preference you would want to attend, irregardless of how much interest the program expresses to you.

However, I believe that the programs do not want to go very far down their rank lists. The programs seem to play lots of games to show interest in applicants, complicating the matter. If they find the applicant reciprocates interest (also through a variety of games), then they will likely be higher on the applicant's rank list and have to go less far down their rank list to fill their spots. I do not think this will provide the programs with better applicants. It will possibly just allow them to go less distance down their rank lists. Because programs use how far down their rank list they had to go as a marker for how good their recruitment was for that year, this complicates matters. I believe that each PD is attempting to outdo their last year's performance on this indicator to show to the administration what a good job they did this year. I think this introduces many complicating factors and places the integrity of the match in question.

In the end, I do not know to what extent playing the games of showing interest and indicating how high you may rank a program will affect you. However, I am not a fan of playing these games. And because I do not know exactly how much effect they will have on my match process, I personally choose not to partake. However, I do believe there are many games being played by programs and applicants and this is complicating the milieu.

I think this is a fine link. If you don't want to know, don't read the link. For those of us who are curious or do want to know what other people are hearing, post away.

I find it funny that this thread has been viewed over 1000 times and only has 15 responses. To me, this is indicative of the fact that many people do not wish to share this information because it is highly confidential and private. I would never advertise this on a public forum out of respect for the programs and my friends. May I suggest to the OP that he ask his friends if he really wants to know. They are likely to share if they trust you to keep it confidential. I have a close group of friends and we discuss this because we know it will never be repeated. Suffice it to say, I know the feedback this year in IM has ranged from personal phone calls from PDs, interviewers, and chairs, personal snail mail, personal emails, and expense paid second looks. This communication has been from some of the top tier and not so top tier schools everywhere. I have friends who are applying in other specialties who have had similar communications. However, this should not affect your rank lists. Most IM programs have 25-50 spots and I think this type of communication only happens with their top 10 or 20 choices. Therefore, it is highly likely you could still match at a place even if they don't contact you. In addition, remember, a lot of the people who are being heavily recruited are being recruited to multiple places and can only end up at one. :)

What I find funny is that the majority of people who have put up posts on this thread feel the need to bash the idea of sharing this information or give me advice or an education on the match process. This is a simple concept and it has been done in years past, either share information or don't, come by and read if you like but maybe from now on, please don't bother posting if it's not info about the programs, we've heard it all before. I find it especially amusing that some posters type "ignore" and then the very next day fail to follow their own advice only to open this thread again and post more advice and discussion about how we are disrespecting both the programs we have applied to and our friends. I fail to see how sharing information in a complicated and non-transparent process should be frowned upon. faithnotsight may I "suggest" that you please "ignore" this thread from now on.

Wow, you are really stressed out reallyanon. Calm down. Breathe. First of all, the reason I typed ignore is because I wrote a similar message yesterday and then erased it. I could not delete the post, so I just wrote ignore meaning ignore my message not yours, but your paranoia probably did not allow you to see that. I, however, decided to retype my post today. Anyway, I did post information about the type of feedback, just not specifics. You don't know me, so please don't try to interpret my actions. Again, look at how many people have viewed this thread and how many have contributed to recognize that many people are unwilling to share this information and likely agree with me. If you feel differently, you are entitled to your opinion. If people feel comfortable revealing this information, then I suggest they do so. I am just explaining why you potentially have so many "hits" and few responses.

What I find funny is that the majority of people who have put up posts on this thread feel the need to bash the idea of sharing this information or give me advice or an education on the match process. This is a simple concept and it has been done in years past, either share information or don't, come by and read if you like but maybe from now on, please don't bother posting if it's not info about the programs, we've heard it all before. I find it especially amusing that some posters type "ignore" and then the very next day fail to follow their own advice only to open this thread again and post more advice and discussion about how we are disrespecting both the programs we have applied to and our friends. I fail to see how sharing information in a complicated and non-transparent process should be frowned upon. faithnotsight may I "suggest" that you please "ignore" this thread from now on.

I don't buy the hits and responses argument- that can be made for just about every thread on SDN- what about the 85,000 + hits for the interivew invites compared to less than 500 posts? If people are looking they are curious and with understandable reason. Choosing not to post could be from for any number of reasons, yours certainly being one of them but its fairly presumptous to think that all viewers are in agreement with you. While you attribute it to some sense of righteousness regarding an arbitrary program/applicant relationship, I could just as easily suggest its probably more out of worry and insecurity. Give credit to those who post- they know very well the extent of communications which exist, from letters to comp'd 2nd looks, and it takes a lot more guts to put what was told to them in light of this, than to criticize their intent while taking a peek for yourself. Give me a break.

i don't want to get involved in debate, but here's the communications i've received.

loma linda: thank you for interviewing here. u're a strong candidate.
huntington: i think u're a good candidate. contact me if u have any questions.

would be interested in any other programs.

Again, I never denied people are curious. I said people are hesitant to reveal. I never said everyone (look at my post -- I said many) agreed with me and I did not state this was the only reason (look at my post -- I said potentially which would imply that I know other reasons are plausible) people were not posting. However, I missed your argument. You stated people would not post out of worry. I agree. They are worried that the programs would not like this information made public. And again, if you have a problem with my peeking, you should make that statement to the 500 or so people (My guess is that 1000 people have not viewed this, but there are instead multiple views by a select group-- I am not saying that 1000 people have definitely not viewed this, yes it is a possibility) who have viewed this thread and contributed nothing. I am not criticizing those who feel comfortable sharing. Again, if you feel comfortable do so, but some may not. Maybe you feel you are doing something wrong which is why you are so defensive. Anyway, I think many people are curious to know things about other people that they may not want people to know about themselves. Otherwise, we would not have talk shows and celebrity gossip.

Anyway, I have a rank list to generate, so I care not to participate any further in this debate. Any further responses to my earlier statements will truly be ignored by me. :) I stand by my opinions and am happy that you stand by yours.

I don't buy the hits and responses argument- that can be made for just about every thread on SDN- what about the 85,000 + hits for the interivew invites compared to less than 500 posts? If people are looking they are curious and with understandable reason. Choosing not to post could be from for any number of reasons, yours certainly being one of them but its fairly presumptous to think that all viewers are in agreement with you. While you attribute it to some sense of righteousness regarding an arbitrary program/applicant relationship, I could just as easily suggest its probably more out of worry and insecurity. Give credit to those who post- they know very well the extent of communications which exist, from letters to comp'd 2nd looks, and it takes a lot more guts to put what was told to them in light of this, than to criticize their intent while taking a peek for yourself. Give me a break.

Anyway, I have a rank list to generate, so I care not to participate any further in this debate. Any further responses to my earlier statements will truly be ignored by me. :) I stand by my opinions and am happy that you stand by yours.

here's my opinion: you should have followed his earlier advice and ignored this thread before my eyes went sore reading your several excessively long and defensive posts. you could have generated your rank list hours ago.

and i think it's immature to throw your punches and end by saying that you have better things to do now so you will ignore further responses...if you're gonna dish it out, you should be able to take it and not pretend like you've all the sudden taken the moral high ground and are too mature to participate in this debate. if you can't handle differing opinions, don't run away and try to manipulate others into thinking it's because you're too busy with other things, like generating your rank list. you could have done that instead of spending all that time posting.

here's my opinion: you should have followed his earlier advice and ignored this thread before my eyes went sore reading your several excessively long and defensive posts. you could have generated your rank list hours ago.

and i think it's immature to throw your punches and end by saying that you have better things to do now so you will ignore further responses...if you're gonna dish it out, you should be able to take it and not pretend like you've all the sudden taken the moral high ground and are too mature to participate in this debate. if you can't handle differing opinions, don't run away and try to manipulate others into thinking it's because you're too busy with other things, like generating your rank list. you could have done that instead of spending all that time posting.

Holla!!!

very interesting thread to me. of all the time i've spent compulsively checking this forum over the past few months, this thread helped me reach a new level of self-inflicted match-stress.

i'm all for free information flow via these forums. when i login to sdn, i go into it with skepticism, and often leave with a mix of helpful reassurance tempered with doubt- this is mostly b/c of the enormous amount of individual variability w/in each of our situations- obviously something that doesn't translate well to a forum.

my .02 about this thread's high viewings. it seriously sucked to read about folks getting letters and emails- and, with my absurd amounts of ms4 free time, and tendency for vehement match-envy, i had ample opportunities to check to see if masses of people would post love-letters from my top 3 choices. i actually called a friend who's an R1 at my top choice, and was reassured that many people who matched into my top choice didn't get the extra love before the match.

many thanks to all the posters and arguers on this forum. in many ways, for me, it epitomizes the ridiculousness and torturous nature of becoming an md. and has truly helped me define my beliefs and disbeliefs about the process. best wishes in the match!

Okay, mcindoe, I will debate with you about your behavior (you obviously did not want to talk about the subject the OP posted about or my comments about it anyway, since your post contains nothing about that -- surprise surprise:)) since you seem to stalk me and have requested a personal conversation. (The rank list is done for now by the way.) Here is my opinion. Your posts are characteristic of a bitter and juvenille person. I wish I knew your rank list because I feel sorry for your co-interns. I wish I could be mad at you, but I feel sorry for you. You clearly have a personal vendetta against me (do a search anyone and you will see his history of attacking me and me only when others have made the same comments I did.). So, you came to this thread which asks about feedback from programs to offer feedback on me and nothing about feedback on programs?:laugh: If you think it is a good topic, then why have you not contributed by speaking about your feedback? If your eyes went sore, why did you keep reading? You make no sense at all.

Turkelton your supporting mcindoe's hijacking of the thread seemed a bit juvenille as well. But to each, his own. I guess I thought people stopped obnoxiously supporting juvenille behavior with comments like "holla" when I left high school. If you believe that is professional and mature, then more power to you.

Oh good, lord. Listen, I'm sorry, I had no idea of the kind of relationship the two of you developed. You're right, I'm not that mature- I still think holla is funny and I love my Froot Loops. But I'm with 07match... let's just get back to being worried about March 15th. Holla!

this thread has clearly gone well beyond the scope of what I envisioned it might be when I starte it. Mary Shelley would be proud. Should we just close this thing down and let everyone go on their merry way? I think that the important thing to remember is that 1) people are most likely to match at one of their top 3 choices 2) there are a lot of great IM programs 3)the match in the grand scheme of things is relatively inconsequential. sorry to anyone that got upset/angry about this.

Anyway, I have a rank list to generate, so I care not to participate any further in this debate. Any further responses to my earlier statements will truly be ignored by me.

you're a liar and a hypocrite.

Res ipsa loquitur.

I have gotten feedback from the programs and it certainly is an ego boost. The bottom line is that I would rather feel good during the next two months with a little ego massage rather than feel down on myself. If it ended up being false in the end, I will deal with the grief at that time.

I do think that NOT hearing means nothing. I have a friend who had not heard from a "top 10 program" and was contacted after the match to find out why he did not rank them #1 and that they had been very interested in him joining their program.

So...if I get a letter or an email giving me some love, I'm choosing to see it as a good sign. I certainly am trying to keep it "within the family" so that I don't end up flaunting it to others to further boost my ego.

To get back to the original purpose of this thread. Please, no more comments on if it is good or bad. Please don't post and don't read, if you don't like the idea.

UVA: Handwritten note from PD
UW: personalised letter from interviewer.
UMich: Letter from PD and interviewer
Mayo (MN) : NOTHING.... I heard a friend recieved a personalized "will rank you highly" email. Have others recieved anything similar??

I really would like to know the answer, even if it is meant to be anxiolytic or ego-stroking or purposeless or however.

This is so draining:

Johns Hopkins: PD has been calling me daily... and now he has the CEO of the hospital doing the same.
Mass Gen: Roses, red, every day for the last week. (Where am I going to put all these things?)
B&W: PD flew to Kansas City and cooked me dinner in my own house...
uPenn: Interviewed ended by offering me a $5,000 check with 'no stings attached'. Yeah, right. Like I believe him!

Good luck guys!

Hi Trepp,
Got any of that steak left over in KC? :laugh: Thanks 4 inserting a bit of jocularity in this post. As it was said in Gladiator, "Death smiles at all men. All man can do is smile back" Relax folks! Wht shall be, shall be :) Peace

Wow, I am so sorry for your co-interns. You're apparently illiterate as well as unintelligent, pathetic, and illogical. Read my comments again dear. Here, I will quote myself "Any further responses to my earlier statements will truly be ignored by me." I wrote that I would not respond to comments regarding my earlier statements. That is what I refused to respond to my dear. Your comments were pathetic, but novel. Your comments had nothing to do with any argument in this thread! (You just attacked me, but never defended why this was a good topic or gave comments on feedback from programs which is what my previous comments addressed. Am I moving too fast for you?) You just came here to stalk me. After all, wasn't your original issue with me (See the Sticky, "Interview Invites") when I stated I was excited to get a certain interview that you did not get??? You said that I was stroking my ego to tell everyone excitedly, "Yay! I got an interview at X!" However, you now codone people "bragging" about where they have gotten post interview feedback???? Did you ever take a class in logic dear? You make no sense. I hope your skills in medicine are better than your debate skills. I feel honored that you would spend time trying to seek me out personally multiple times on this board and insult me. I must be special for you to fixate on me. Again, I pity you because it takes an utterly juvenille person to stalk someone over the internet anonymously. I bet you would not say half the things you have on this board to my face (or the multiple other people you have attacked on SDN -- I am not the first) in person.

you're a liar and a hypocrite.

Res ipsa loquitur.

Wow, I am so sorry for your co-interns. You're apparently illiterate as well as unintelligent, pathetic, and illogical. Read my comments again dear. Here, I will quote myself "Any further responses to my earlier statements will truly be ignored by me." I wrote that I would not respond to comments regarding my earlier statements. That is what I refused to respond to my dear. Your comments were pathetic, but novel. Your comments had nothing to do with any argument in this thread! (You just attacked me, but never defended why this was a good topic or gave comments on feedback from programs which is what my previous comments addressed. Am I moving too fast for you?) You just came here to stalk me. After all, wasn't your original issue with me (See the Sticky, "Interview Invites") when I stated I was excited to get a certain interview that you did not get??? You said that I was stroking my ego to tell everyone excitedly, "Yay! I got an interview at X!" However, you now codone people "bragging" about where they have gotten post interview feedback???? Did you ever take a class in logic dear? You make no sense. I hope your skills in medicine are better than your debate skills. I feel honored that you would spend time trying to seek me out personally multiple times on this board and insult me. I must be special for you to fixate on me. Again, I pity you because it takes an utterly juvenille person to stalk someone over the internet anonymously. I bet you would not say half the things you have on this board to my face (or the multiple other people you have attacked on SDN -- I am not the first) in person.

Surrender, Dorothy. You just don't know when to let it go, do you?

You're not a liar and a hypocrite. You're an annoying, rambling, and intellectually destitute liar and a hypocrite who just won't shut up already.

Res ipsa loquitur.

i interviewed at multiple places like hopkins, brown, washu, umaryland, utsw, emory. i have not heard anything from these places. however i only sent a thank you note to like 1-2 of those places just b/c i got tired.

and i went to a couple of low tier programs, where during the interview at one program, they said they really want students from my school. i got an email from the other program's PD saying that i would be a nice addition to their program. i assume this is only b/c i'm from a top 20 med school. my grades were never stellar and so that's probably why i havent gotten feedback from the better programs above.

I will never surrender to someone whose intelligence and debate skills are inferior to mine. You are such a pitiful excuse for a human being. You are pitiful, pathetic, lonely, illogical, and unintelligent. I can see why you spend so much time on SDN and other forums. You have no friends, do you? Kind of funny that you call me intellectually destitute when I got interviews you didn't. Or did you forget? Haha. Again, you make no sense. Thank God for screening systems and the ability for them to keep out garbage. Please follow your own advice and shut up.

Surrender, Dorothy. You just don't know when to let it go, do you?

You're not a liar and a hypocrite. You're an annoying, rambling, and intellectually destitute liar and a hypocrite who just won't shut up already.

Res ipsa loquitur.

I think this thread is useful. There is no harm in sharing info. because rest assure no PD/residency committee modifies their ranklist decision based on few posts on the SDN forum. If they want you, they want you.

I've gotten feedback from Stanford, Mayo, MGH, UCSD, U Penn, UTSW... I must admit no second looks/visits for me.. I think they are time-consuming and a bit over the top. Imo my 0.05 is that asking for a second visit makes you look potentially weak or over-interested in a program. I felt that maintaining poise and confidence is a much better strategy. The interview day was extensive enough to get great feel of the program. However if a program had invited me for second look, I would've gone..

The interview day was extensive enough to get great feel of the program.

Actually I think in certain circumstances this isn't true. I hear so many anecdotal stories (both on these forums and in "real life") about how people returned for a second look and got a completely different impression of a program. I think that programs are doing everything they can to put their best foot forward on the dog-and-pony-show that is the interview day and that it isn't necessarily going to represent how things are done on an everyday basis.

That said, many programs explicitly state that the second look is for YOU, not for them, so I wouldn't use it as a way to try to demonstrate extra interest in a program. But it can be a useful way to see what a program is like on a daily basis, by shadowing an intern, etc.

Hi, sorry to intrude, but there's quite a bit of personal attacks going on here. This violates our Terms of Service, and from here on, anyone who persists will have infractions placed on their account, which eventually leads to banning. Doesn't matter who started it, please let it stop now. Thanks!

That said, many programs explicitly state that the second look is for YOU, not for them, so I wouldn't use it as a way to try to demonstrate extra interest in a program.

Exactly

i got an email from the PD of a lower tier program and it sounds like they are really interested in me. how do i explain to the PD that their program is just a back up?? :)
i would go to their program....but only if i dont match into more well known programs. so i'm trying to figure out what's the best way to say that in an email. any advice?

i got an email from the PD of a lower tier program and it sounds like they are really interested in me. how do i explain to the PD that their program is just a back up?? :)
i would go to their program....but only if i dont match into more well known programs. so i'm trying to figure out what's the best way to say that in an email. any advice?

I would say something like "I am certain I would thrive at your program. It would be an honor and a privilege to work with you and your colleagues." I would in no way shape or form imply that anyone is a back-up, regardless of what tier they are on. Congrats and good luck.

I would suggest something like "in your dreams would I ever come to your program. Not unless you grovel and plead for me to come there and of course buy me a lexus would I ever even consider going to your lower tier program. C'mon, you know I'm better than this lousy program."

Honestly though, I agree with CJamblooze, if you want them to remain a back-up of yours, reciprocate some. If they are a backup way down your list that you think you won't have to go to, then you could respond with a very vague answer that they are a good program and thanks for your interest. If its a backup that you may realistically end up at, use more specific references to why you are (at least somewhat) interested in their program. Hope this helps. Although, I value blunt honesty greatly, the match process is sometimes does not encourage it, as it is not just about how good an applicant you are, but how much interest you show in a program that determines where you end up.

is everyone else tired of hearing everyone on this and other IM threads say "rank programs in the order of your preference." Obviously I am going to do that and I'm not going to be influenced by feedback from the programs I interviewed at.
What I want to know is how much feedback should we give to our top 3 choices? I did not send thank you notes to a lot of the programs b/c i was just tired/busy studying for boards. and some programs i interviewed at in december sound really good, but i feel that it's too late to send a thank you note now. also should we ask our Dean to call our top program for us? and are other applicants giving a final thank you note to the PD at their top choice so they know you are interested??

I have heard that at some programs, the PD's and interviewers don't even read the thank you cards and thank you emails. I do not know if they are important or not. I guess it is probably based on whether the individual interviewer appreciated reading what you wrote (which is probably similar to what everyone else wrote though). However, perhaps some interviewers get bothered by having to read a card/email during their busy day and become a little more perturbed by reading a generic card. I am done writing my thank you cards/emails, but I would be interested in hearing what others think for curiousity's sake. Because I am a little OCD and even go all out for all the interviews or don't expend much energy (I only have two modes), I ended up writing about 30-35 thank you cards/emails for 15 interviews. Many of them ended up having very generic type of messages in them even after trying to include specific comments though. In the end, I doubt it will matter much at all.

Just curious if anyone has received any feedback from Wash U or from Northwestern. I had a friend tell me he received a typed letter from the PD at Northwestern after his interview, but the format sounded fairly generic and I'm curious if this might be a form letter (slightly tweaked) that everyone receives post-interview.

any love from bwh, or is it still too early?

is everyone else tired of hearing everyone on this and other IM threads say "rank programs in the order of your preference." Obviously I am going to do that and I'm not going to be influenced by feedback from the programs I interviewed at.
What I want to know is how much feedback should we give to our top 3 choices? I did not send thank you notes to a lot of the programs b/c i was just tired/busy studying for boards. and some programs i interviewed at in december sound really good, but i feel that it's too late to send a thank you note now. also should we ask our Dean to call our top program for us? and are other applicants giving a final thank you note to the PD at their top choice so they know you are interested??

:thumbup: It seems the best way to not answer a question is to regurgitate generic advice which everyone knows.