Feedback from programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellalou

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it would useful to share our feedback from programs so we can obsess a little bit more before the dreaded match. This will fuel our paranoia and neurotic tendencies. Sound good?

Here's mine: Calls from residents and PD from UAB, card from UNC and email response from PD after my email, email from PD at UVA, letter from Pitt and email response from PD after my email but no email response from chair after my email :( , an ERAS email from Brown saying I made their final match list, letter from Hopkins (typed and likely generic but with handwritten addition from PD)

Please share yours so we can all compare notes

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds like a dangerous (as in may lead to lost nights of sleep) post, but what the heck:
I got a generic letter from UCSD, an email from Einstein-Montefiore, call from Kaiser LA, generic email from UTSW

I interviewed at UCSD, USC, UCLA, Cedars, Kaiser LA, Utah, UTSW, Northwestern, UMich, Cornell, Albert Einstein, Yale and Tufts. Anybody heard from those?

also generic letter from ucsd (immediately following interview so i think it means nothing), emails from PD from white memorial, hand-written card from kaiser oakland, phone calls from kaiser la and cedars. anyone hear from uc davis? :confused:

by the way, usc told us they don't email/mail/call people at all.

best of luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
This sounds like a dangerous (as in may lead to lost nights of sleep) post, but what the heck:
I got a generic letter from UCSD, an email from Einstein-Montefiore, call from Kaiser LA, generic email from UTSW

I interviewed at UCSD, USC, UCLA, Cedars, Kaiser LA, Utah, UTSW, Northwestern, UMich, Cornell, Albert Einstein, Yale and Tufts. Anybody heard from those?

I agree, this is totally dangerous, but it can't possibly make me freak out any more.

I think that Northwestern was pretty clear that they would not contact us at all after the interview, so I wouldn't worry if you don't hear from them.

I don't understand why we are discussing this. Countles times we have been told that hearing from a program does not guarantee a postion in their program and that many people match in great programs without hearing anything from the PD or chairman or that super groovy resident who lost her virginity in your hometown:rolleyes: .

And, the only reaction that can come from this is making others who didn't hear from their programs (because the PD strongly believes in the sanctity of the Match or is busy working) self-conscious about their ranking position.

I just think that this will be a long month and we all will have feelings of inadequacy, we should support each other.

I continue to believe that we will go where we are supposed to go. Yeah, yeah I know it sounds hokey, but it keeps me from freaking out every 5 seconds.

Stay strong!

I really wasn't trying to be un-supportive. I thought maybe if we didn't hear from one of most wanted programs someone else could say "Don't worry! I didn't hear from them either!" But I know that this works both ways too - some people will freak out (i.e., me!) if others hear from a program and they don't. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Some of the forums (EM, IM, etc) have threads like this, so I thought it might be useful in allaying our fears. But I see that it could be dangerous too.

Anyway, nothing but love to all applicants!:luck:

point well taken pacinonme. but i think if a pd doesn't contact an applicant because he/she believes in the sanctity of the match, then no one will have heard from that program and others might feel better knowing we're all in the same boat. or we might be wondering, 'are they contacting other people and not me?' it's frustrating b/c clearly every program is different so if a program is trying to play the "game" it's only fair for us to get a sense of whether or not they are sincere and only calling those they are really interested in? or if they are calling everyone that interviewed. i think everyone is well aware that it doesn't mean anything unless you are talking about the same program b/c there are programs that don't contact applicants and one shouldn't lose hope just b/c they haven't shown love. this is merely a way for us to redirect our anxiety and lack of control.

personally, i would like to know if a program has contacted someone but not me...i feel i will be more prepared/less disappointed come match day. but would not change my rol b/c of it. :)

and i completely agree, we will all go where we are supposed to go!

i'll bump this thread . . . .

i know some places believe fully in the sanctity of the match, and i wish everywhere was like that so we didn't have to spend our time on threads like this trying to read b/w the lines, but the truth is that there's all kinds of shady business involved in the match, and if we can help each other decipher these secret codes, i'm all for helping.

ok, after getting freaked out by what everyone else has said about people reading these forums and whatnot, i decided to delete my earlier post. everyone who reads sdn as obsessively as i do has already read it anyway. as for telling multiple people they are your #1 - this is stupid. don't do it!! but i did tell my top 5 that i am ranking them very highly, and i would be thrilled to death to go to any one of them. after the match or maybe after rank lists are due and share more info to help the people who are going through this next year . . .

the truth is that there's all kinds of shady business involved in the match, and if we can help each other decipher these secret codes, i'm all for helping.

amen to that, did everyone know there's an online discussion forum exclusively for ob/gyn PD's on the acgme website? not to mention many of them are already close friends, so who knows what's going on behind our backs? :mad:

i guess that this will make match day more exciting for us???

i am trying to put a positive spin on it, but having some trouble feeling good about any of this.

amen to that, did everyone know there's an online discussion forum exclusively for ob/gyn PD's on the acgme website? not to mention many of them are already close friends, so who knows what's going on behind our backs? :mad:
I didn't know that. I'm guessing it's not a discussion forum we peons can read, huh?

Now that sucks!!! As if I wasn't paranoid enough... which is why I have not directly replied to this post... just too worried who is looking...
Anyway too bad for people who have told multiple programs they will rank them number one....

I didn't know that. I'm guessing it's not a discussion forum we peons can read, huh?

No, the forum is private only for Ob/Gyn PDs. I guess they need a place to discuss this stuff just like us. I am not surprised that they talk to each other. It is a somewhat small field and everyone seems to know everyone else (like a small town!).

I'm not surprised that the PD's talk to each other, and although it is somewhat scary, it could also work to my advantage. The DC at my school's program is really well known in the field at most of the places I applied to and is good friends with the PD at my #1 choice. I have put my program within my top 5 but they are not #1. I haven't gotten any feedback at all from my #1 choice despite many e-mails and thank you cards, so I hope that somehow through the "grapevine" my #1 choice will hear from my PD here that I really want to be there, and they'll (#1 choice ) rank me high.....
I've been pretty careful to only tell one place they were #1 (and now it turns out they're #2 cause I changed my mind) but I let my top 5 know that I ranked them high, and would love to be there and it's true for all 5 so even if they talk, they shouldn't feel lied to. I think even if you did tell more than one place they're your #1 they shouldn't jump to the conclusion that you lied, what if you just changed your mind? It happens. Many people are posting on another thread that they're obsessing over their list, and changing it multiple times. I changed mine 6 times within 10 days when I first put it in. I think it will be ok. :)

Has anyone's chair offered to "talk to" his/her #1 choice on their behalf? I keep hearing about those but don't know how to approach, or if it's already to late and all...

DefJeff

I actually did that. My home residency director called my #1 for me. She was actually faculty at my #1's years back so she was happy to talk to old friends. I think it couldnt hurt but is not likely to help. All of my top choices have met to do their lists.

My home PD offered before interviews to be my advocate if I found another program that I loved. So, I set up an appointement with her and asked if she would be my advocate after interviews were done and she said absoltely. But, I am not interested at all in staying here so I didnt mind whether or not it would hurt my chances of matching here.

I feel like it had a very positive influnece. We will see..