traveljunkie1

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2008
Status
Dentist
I would like to get feedback from any pros residents and recent pros graduates about their residency experience. I am considering a pros residency and want to learn more to know what Im up against. Thanks

Calidental

10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2007
Status
Dentist
I would like to get feedback from any pros residents and recent pros graduates about their residency experience. I am considering a pros residency and want to learn more to know what Im up against. Thanks
Seems you re like me, practicing as a dentist before I went back for specialty. I did it as I wanted to be able to treat cases I just wasnt good at/wasnt getting. 1st year is fun but tough working up all those cases, tx planning (plus a great understanding of perio) , sequencing and improved handskills (lab work) were the 3 things i got in that year.

Next year came proficiency in implants (placing and resoring crowns, full arches, hybrids, spark erosions), learning as in ortho how to tx the different malocclusions (class1,2 (div 1 esp),3, open bites, collapsed bites, prominent maxillas, surgical cases. The most important thing was how to deal with things that go badly wrong. A simple example is in open bite cases that you temp in sections how to stop the patient knocking the post temps out. If this happens in practice more than once the pt loses confidence.

The big things I learnt in the last year were how to pull the sequence together for increased efficiency and how to finish cases with different occlusal schemes.

This is on top of the lit reviews on esthetics, materials, fixed, Cds, implants, occlusion that last about 6-9 months each. All in all an unbeatable position to be in when you come out.