Feedback on my plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phoxyphearse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be a first semester junior in undergrad in the fall... I just recently decided to pursue a medical degree. I'm currently a criminal justice and social sciences double major, and I was intending to go into forensic investigation. However, medicine has always been in the back of my mind and was my focus in high school. I only turned away from it because I didn't think I'd be able to afford med school...but now I'm not concerned with the financial aspect. I'm still highly interested in both fields, and I'd like to become a forensic pathologist. After giving much thought to my current situation, here is my plan:

-I've been CPR and First Aid certified since high school, but I plan to do lifeguard certification later this summer, and then EMT-B certification in the winter.
-Volunteer EMT with the Fire Dept after certification
-Start an internship at the local crime lab or regional FBI lab next summer
-Get in touch with my former forensics prof who likely has ties to current forensic pathologists locally
-Complete my double major, along with University and Departmental honors projects (which include community service and a research thesis)
-Complete a post-bac program (formal or otherwise) to get my pre-reqs since I have virtually no science classes with my current program
-Work in the local crime lab or regional FBI lab during my anticipated glide year (I've been told they may reimburse me for the post-bac classes, or maybe even help pay for my med school)

All of this leading to the actual application process. I'm just starting out with all of these plans, and I'm wondering if I could get some feedback as to whether this seems formidable (or even possible). My GPA is fine, about 3.85, and I anticipate doing similarly in my science classes, so my grades shouldn't be a problem. I've been told that some med schools like students from non-science majors, and those who have life experiences to bring a different perspective, so I'm hoping my late start might turn around to be an advantage in some ways...however most med schools I've looked at have pretty strict guidelines and want students with heavy science backgrounds and science degrees.

Am I on the right track with this rough draft of a plan here?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this over the course of a single year? If so, it seems like a lot to undertake in one year. What about studying and taking the MCAT?

No, this will be over the span of my junior and senior years of undergrad, then a year of post-bac, then a glide year.