Feedback on my reapplication please :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elmo0811

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I will be reapplying, so I'd appreciate any feedback you can give to me. Sorry for the long post, I just want to include as many details as possible.

Applied: 2013-2014
Asian female, 25, CA resident
Undergrad: UC Berkeley graduated 2011, Bioengineering
After AMCAS verification: Total GPA: 3.54, BCPM GPA: 3.6 (undergrad+postbacc)
MCAT: BS 12, PS 9, VR 11 = 32
ECs:
1. 1 year bioengineering club
2. ~2.5 years doing research: 1 publication (2nd author), supervised new undergraduate helpers, did a few presentations for lab meetings
3. 2 years (~330 hours) hospital volunteering (the standard type of volunteer experience)
4. a couple of mini group research projects through classes that range from traditional wet lab bench work, designing a medical device and microfluidic device, modeling through COMSOL; some include writing scientific papers and/or presentations at symposium at UC Berkeley
5. phlebotomy training/certification
6. join pre-medical student run non-profit organization: involve with leadership activities and got to shadow as many different ER physicians as I want at a teaching hospital, so got to interact with residents/interns/medical students as well (~300 clinical hours)
7. fun 1-day volunteer for ATLS: acted like an injured patient (with make-up to dramatize injuries) for doctors to continue their medical education
8. did 1 semester of lecture note-taking as a job
9. currently working full-time at Stanford University as a research assistant in the Otolaryngology Department, involved in my own projects, gave presentations to my lab
4 LORs:
1. Organic Chemistry Professor
2. Psychology Professor
3. UC Berkeley Research PI
4. Stanford Research PI
5. Bioengineering Professor (only sent to some schools)

AMCAS primary submitted: 6/22/13; verified: 7/29/13
Sent in all or most my secondaries by mid August --> I did not pre-write my secondaries, so I felt like I rushed in trying to send in my secondaries and probably didn't write them as well as I should have.
Interviews: UCSF (early Oct), WashU (mid Dec), Tulane (mid Jan), Albany (mid Jan)
Result: UCSF (rejected; thought it was my best interview --> my faculty interviewer even said I was a great applicant), WashU (rejected; thought my interview went well), Tulane (waitlisted; thought I bombed my interview --> my worst one), Albany (waitlisted; thought it went okay --> some MMI went great, others didn't go so well so I guess it ended up being average)

2014-2015 cycle

What's different:
1. new updated LOR from Stanford Research PI
2. re-wrote my PS (same concept, but I think I was able to write a better narrative for it) and work/activities
3. continued working full time as research assistant: 2 publications (not first author), 3 posters --> much more involved in research projects/managing lab, no postdocs in lab anymore so I basically do the work of a postdoc
4. attended 2 conferences: 1 research, 1 medical
5. premed student run non-profit org: stopped my ER shadowing in July 2013, stopped my leadership activity in Feb 2014
6. started tutoring disadvantaged elementary kids in Feb 2014 (only ~20 hours so far, 1 hour/week)
7. pre-writing my secondaries
8. planning on starting to volunteer at a Masonic home this month: pet therapy (which I think is super cool!) and playing the piano for residents
9. planning on starting to shadow other specialties I'm interested in this month
My concern: I haven't really added that many new or different activities from my previous cycle. I've mainly continued working full-time (or sometimes more than full-time). Is this a huge problem if I apply in the 2014-2015 cycle or do you think my differences/additions are good enough?

Proposed school list: * = reapplicant
Albany*
Albert Einstein*
Rosalind Franklin*
Creighton
Drexel*
Eastern Virginia
Quinnipiac
George Washington*
Hofstra North Shore
Jefferson*
Loyola*
Medical College of Wisconsin*
Virginia Commonwealth
UCI*
UCD*
UCSD*
UCLA*
UCSF*
University of Vermont
Wake Forest*
Tulane*
NYMC*
Oakland University
Rush University
Tufts*
Temple*
Oregon Health & Science University
Penn State*
SLU*
The commonwealth
University of Toledo
USF
University of Cincinnati
University of Colorado
University of Iowa
University of Louisville
University of Washington
Western Michigan
Indiana University
West Virginia
University of Rochester*
My concern: half of these schools I'm considered to be a reapplicant and a lot of the new schools I'm adding are public schools (and my stats aren't stellar either). I feel like there weren't many new private schools I could add that I didn't already apply to last year. What schools should I add or delete from my list? Obviously from my previous cycle, my interviewing skills can definitely be improved, but I'm worried if I'll even get an interview in this upcoming cycle...

Again, sorry for the long post. I'd really like any sort of feedback on my situation especially about my school list and maybe the best approach to reapplying. I think a part of me is still deciding if it's a good idea for me to reapply this cycle or wait for the next cycle. My primaries are already verified and ready to go... I've been thinking of applying to DO schools as well, but I know many require a doctor letter of rec, which I don't have nor do I currently have someone to ask for one now, so that also makes me think of waiting another year to apply. Thanks for listening, it's been one very stressful year!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't offer much help, but I would add DO schools if you can -- at least the ones that don't require a doctor letter of rec. I think a lot of them are pretty accommodating -- at least they were when I contacted them about not fulfilling some of the behavioral sciences pre-reqs, so perhaps they will accept a letter from a research PI in lieu of a doctor?

I would take out University of Washington. I believe they have one of the lowest OOS acceptance ratios..

I can't offer much help, but I would add DO schools if you can -- at least the ones that don't require a doctor letter of rec. I think a lot of them are pretty accommodating -- at least they were when I contacted them about not fulfilling some of the behavioral sciences pre-reqs, so perhaps they will accept a letter from a research PI in lieu of a doctor?

I would take out University of Washington. I believe they have one of the lowest OOS acceptance ratios..

You have a good point. I will contact DO schools to see how lenient they are about needing a doctor letter of rec.

I was thinking of applying to University of Washington because I'm seriously considering settling down in Washington, but you're probably right that I should take this school out and focus more on schools that I have a better shot of getting in. Thanks for your suggestions; they were really helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
go ahead and apply DO as well, they don't require the letter until you get secondaries (and some not until interview day).....that gives you time to scrounge up a DO to follow for a week or two. They know you just need a letter and are usually pretty nice. Try the state DO association or just start cold calling all the DO docs in your area.

Thanks everyone for your suggestion! I think I have a much better game plan now

I'm in a similar boat, @elmo0811. In a simplistic gist, I've got over 5500 hours of research, a decent amount of clinical/community volunteering (over 500 hours combined), and a 32 MCAT. Reading your app is kind of like looking through mine :)

I'm reasonably sure your GPA is a big part of the problem. It's on the lower end of the spectrum, and without a strong MCAT to back it up I'm afraid it makes for an iffy application no matter what. At this point it's all about the margins - you need to show that there is something special about you (because everyone is the responsible med student; we get that). The only way to get this done is through stellar PS and secondaries.

Best of luck to you, I truly hope you get in!

Total mistake to be applying to OOS publics. Look at the FACTS tables on AAMC and you'll see that there are 10x as many OOS applicants as instate. You're among the 2000+ middle-of-the-pack Californians trying to get in somewhere, and schools like Colorado are delighted to get your secondary fee and bulk reject you. People going after OOS publics need to be in the top 5% of applicants, ie 3.8+/36+.

In lots of other states your numbers would be fine, but as a middle-of-the-pack Californian you're screwed instate and OOS. You shouldn't be reapplying without a substantial new academic asset. In your shoes I'd be looking for a full time academic program. Lots of your midpackmates are starting at the Loyola/Gtown/etc SMPs this August. Traditional grad work with pubs is a reasonable alternative in California.

Unfortunately the results from app cycle #1 come too late to get a good app cycle #2 out in a timely manner, but that's just how it goes.

Watch your debt load. You must care about your med school cost of attendance. I'm at one of the schools on your list, and it has the highest OOS COA in the country. Be smarter than me.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Damn, that sucks haha I probably won't be applying to any SMP programs.. I'm already almost 26 and I feel like it's more time and money, but I will take your advice not to apply to any OOS schools though because I'm not a top 5% applicant. I think I will apply to a few private schools that I didn't apply to last time, but I'll be focusing most of my attention on my DO application. I pretty much have my primary application set, sending my transcript soon, and now, I just need to scramble to get a DO letter. I'll start pre-writing my secondaries once I submit my primary. Thanks for the reality check, you probably saved me a lot of money from applications :)

Clearly, your interview skills are lacking. I also note that you have almost no non-clinical or non-research related ECs. The tutoring is good, but it looks liek a last-minute thing....most applicants have > 100 of such.

I'm surprised that with a below avg GPA and MCAT score you managed to score some interviews at UCSF and WashU.

Interviewers are always polite to the faces of interviewees. After all, no one is going to say "you were terrible today".

Sent in all or most my secondaries by mid August --> I did not pre-write my secondaries, so I felt like I rushed in trying to send in my secondaries and probably didn't write them as well as I should have.
Interviews: UCSF (early Oct), WashU (mid Dec), Tulane (mid Jan), Albany (mid Jan)
Result: UCSF (rejected; thought it was my best interview --> my faculty interviewer even said I was a great applicant), WashU (rejected; thought my interview went well), Tulane (waitlisted; thought I bombed my interview --> my worst one), Albany (waitlisted; thought it went okay --> some MMI went great, others didn't go so well so I guess it ended up being average)

My concern: I haven't really added that many new or different activities from my previous cycle. I've mainly continued working full-time (or sometimes more than full-time). Is this a huge problem if I apply in the 2014-2015 cycle or do you think my differences/additions are good enough?

Your list is very scattershot. Invest in MSAR and apply to schools whose median scores are closest to your own.
Goro suggests:

Creighton
USC
Loma Linda
Eastern Virginia
Quinnipiac
Hofstra North Shore
Virginia Commonwealth
Oakland University
Rush University
The commonwealth
USF
Western Michigan
All other new MD schools

Your numbers are great for DO schools. Not all of them require a DO LOR; mine doesn't. TUCOM-CA and Western are in your backyard, so there's two to start. if you live within driving distance of these schools, go visit them and chat up the DO faculty.

I've been thinking of applying to DO schools as well, but I know many require a doctor letter of rec, which I don't have nor do I currently have someone to ask for one now, so that also makes me think of waiting another year to apply. Thanks for listening, it's been one very stressful year![/QUOTE]

Clearly, your interview skills are lacking. I also note that you have almost no non-clinical or non-research related ECs. The tutoring is good, but it looks liek a last-minute thing....most applicants have > 100 of such.

I'm surprised that with a below avg GPA and MCAT score you managed to score some interviews at UCSF and WashU.

Interviewers are always polite to the faces of interviewees. After all, no one is going to say "you were terrible today".

Your list is very scattershot. Invest in MSAR and apply to schools whose median scores are closest to your own.
Goro suggests:

Creighton
USC
Loma Linda
Eastern Virginia
Quinnipiac
Hofstra North Shore
Virginia Commonwealth
Oakland University
Rush University
The commonwealth
USF
Western Michigan
All other new MD schools

Your numbers are great for DO schools. Not all of them require a DO LOR; mine doesn't. TUCOM-CA and Western are in your backyard, so there's two to start. if you live within driving distance of these schools, go visit them and chat up the DO faculty.

I've been thinking of applying to DO schools as well, but I know many require a doctor letter of rec, which I don't have nor do I currently have someone to ask for one now, so that also makes me think of waiting another year to apply. Thanks for listening, it's been one very stressful year!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Goro for your suggestions. Believe me, I was also extremely surprised that I got interviews at UCSF and WashU! I've been doing a lot of research on which DO schools appeal to me, so I think I've got a pretty good list of schools I'm going to apply to. I've decided that I will focus majority of my time on DO applications and I'll add a few MD schools that I'm not a reapplicant in. I was curious if you think it's worth my money/time in applying to Tulane and Albany again since I was waitlisted and not outright rejected (given that I'll be working on my interview skills..)?

Goro suggests:

Creighton
USC
Loma Linda
Eastern Virginia
Quinnipiac
Hofstra North Shore
Virginia Commonwealth
Oakland University
Rush University
The commonwealth
USF
Western Michigan
All other new MD schools
Though I agree that her list is nonsensical, I would point out that her MCAT and gpa are low for USC, especially without significant community service or language skills.

OP, heed my wise colleague well!
Also suggest contacting the Admissions deans for feedback on your updated ECs etc and ask if you're more compettive now.

Though I agree that her list is nonsensical, I would point out that her MCAT and gpa are low for USC, especially without significant community service or language skills.

your research experience is outstanding. That's probably why you got interviews at UCSF and WashU. You might want to think about adding some more top 20 schools since they seem to prefer research (and you had success with that school tier last cycle). Pittsburgh, Sinai, etc. Your lack of community service might make it more difficult for you to get an interview at a lot of those mid-tier private schools. Also, no point in applying to those ohio schools (Cinci, Toledo) unless you have a very unique, special reason to go there since they hugely favor ohio students.

your research experience is outstanding. That's probably why you got interviews at UCSF and WashU. You might want to think about adding some more top 20 schools since they seem to prefer research (and you had success with that school tier last cycle). Pittsburgh, Sinai, etc. Your lack of community service might make it more difficult for you to get an interview at a lot of those mid-tier private schools. Also, no point in applying to those ohio schools (Cinci, Toledo) unless you have a very unique, special reason to go there since they hugely favor ohio students.

Yeah, I had the same thought and it is a dilemma... my research is great for top 20 schools but my stats aren't competitive...my research is so-so for mid/low tier schools and my stats are average or slightly below average. I still think my interviews from UCSF and WashU went decently (they really know how to pick their interviewers so you get that relaxed, conversational interview experience), but I don't think I had an extraordinary enough interview to compensate for my low stats especially when they have so many others with the great numbers and good interviews to choose from. At this point, I'm going to be more involved in non-clinical volunteering work and pray that I get a little love from DO schools.