Feedback on topic for diversity secondary essay please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ldh15

Reaction score
Brainstorming topics for the diversity secondary essay, and I want to write about my adventurous side/my passion for letting go and taking risks. I'm an outdoor enthusiast (rock climbing, camping, hiking) and I was on a whitewater kayaking team all of high school---doing everything from practicing slalom racing to kayaking off a waterfall. As a soft-spoken 5-foot tall introverted woman, I gained a lot of confidence through this. Only issue is I haven't kayaked since the summer before college ---I didn't have the time or resources to do so where I went to for school. I'm still an outdoors lover and have done a lot of hiking, but nothing extreme like my high school days. Is it still worth writing about this? Maybe including other ways I've been adventurous in college, like solo traveling abroad, would help?

Members don't see this ad.

Being into the outdoors could be used for this prompt. In all honesty, almost anything can but it depends on how it's spun. This prompt shows us what an applicant thinks makes them unique, and how they think they can enrich the education of their peers. How might your experiences here help your future classmates?

To get the most mileage from us, it would be helpful if you gave us some other choices to choose from.

my adventurous side/my passion for letting go and taking risks
An example of how not to frame something for the secondary! :laugh:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Being into the outdoors could be used for this prompt. In all honesty, almost anything can but it depends on how it's spun. This prompt shows us what an applicant thinks makes them unique, and how they think they can enrich the education of their peers. How might your experiences here help your future classmates?

To get the most mileage from us, it would be helpful if you gave us some other choices to choose from.

An example of how not to frame something for the secondary! :laugh:

Only other option I can think of is to focus on the unique perspective I’d bring having double majored in a language and taken many public health and anthro classes, including global health, environmental health, and medical anthropology. Hoping to take advantage of medical humanities electives/organizations that schools may offer and take courses in the global health department and/or obtain an MPH.